Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Frickr

iwien, if i were to purchace an iolite, i would have the exact same setup as you including spoon! and i agree with you, with a beautiful piece of glass its hard to sit and look at it. i have to use mine occasionally too, it just hits so smooth.

Tom on my unit, the heat exchanger keeps loosening up. i will set it down with a snapring plyer and a flathead screwdriver and it will stay tight for a few days then i will notice it loose again. Should i just find a second snapring and put it in place or is there something simpler? all the snaprings i found around town are just a plain black steel, so i would have to order a zinc plated one.

Frickr,

Purple-Days

Drop me a line, pretty sure one would fit in an envelope. ;) It works well.

A pristine clean piece of glass and sweet stuff :spliff: is hard to resist (about every six months). A good friend brings by each new pipe and tempts me, once in a while he twists my arm. He uses his PD (huhugh, lots...), but takes his hand pipe (always sweet and heavy and beautiful) for walks. Laughs at me, hovering the lighter above the weed, taking in the first vapors of his latest finds. He is converting, but, his PD got snagged at the reservation, they (his hosts) said it wasn't leaving... :cool: Gonna have to make a new one. :D :lol:

Purple-Days,

tomitface

i just wanted to say that this is my favorite thread on FC. if only somebody bottled this all up and sold it...

and to stay on topic, i was wondering if there is a convenient simple way to just slightly cool down the PD hits. i quite enjoy to vape on the lower end of the spectrum, and although the PD unit does a fantastic job at keeping bud far from the danger zone (combustion) its just something i have been curious to.

P.s. if this has been discussed thoroughly before please forgive me the pages start to become jumbled in the ol noggin of mine after reading pages by the thousands. :ninja:

tomitface,

Lucic77

lwien said:
moreandrew said:
You're right, I am implying that people from Mexico provide inferior labor, but only as compared to Tom when it comes to making purple days vaporizers.
You're missing the concept, moreandrew. Tom doesn't want to hire ANYONE to do his labor for various reasons, one of which is that he justifiably feels that NO ONE can put the quality of care in manufacturing them as he can do (Tom, sorry to put words in your mouth and please correct me if I'm wrong). It kinda follows through with the philosophy of "If you wanna it done right, do it yourself". But, and here's the big but, moreandrew..... this is true for anyone. In my opinion, you singling out Mexicans or singling out ANY race or nationality as a benchmark of inferior labor was out of line.

The FACT is, is that your previous statement as well as your statement above, of people from Mexico provide inferior labor is just plain wrong. Why single out Mexicans? Hell, there's some real crap made right here by Americans.

I've slammed cheap Chinese made vape knockoffs. Does that mean that Chinese people provide inferior labor? Absolutely not. The DBV is manufactured in China and I consider that a very good vape. It really depends on the specific company that is manufacturing said product, and does not have ANYTHING to do with their race or nationality.

What about Mexicans, or Chinese that are working right here in our factories? Are you assuming that just because they are of a different nationality than you, that their labor is somehow inferior?

If you said that Tom feels that ANYONE would provide inferior labor as compared to himself, THAT would be correct statement. Mexico doesn't have a damn thing to do with it and you making that statement, and now defending it, speaks for itself, and deserves to be challenged.
+1

I do not think that you are some bigot or racist at all, but that post conveyed bigotry to me and I never like to see that. Ash, I am not sure whether or not your post went against any site rules, but I will always support someone who stands up for equality and shining light on bigotry.

lwien, thanks for saying it better than i could, lol. I'm a little :o at the moment.

Sorry to continue the derail. I will go back to PD now. :peace:

Lucic77,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
tomitface said:
i just wanted to say that this is my favorite thread on FC. if only somebody bottled this all up and sold it...

and to stay on topic, i was wondering if there is a convenient simple way to just slightly cool down the PD hits. i quite enjoy to vape on the lower end of the spectrum, and although the PD unit does a fantastic job at keeping bud far from the danger zone (combustion) its just something i have been curious to.

P.s. if this has been discussed thoroughly before please forgive me the pages start to become jumbled in the ol noggin of mine after reading pages by the thousands. :ninja:
You can add a length of silicon tubing too the PD tubes. This will allow for the hits too cool down a bit more.

DevoTheStrange,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
I think he means to lower the temp generally, like some would say higher the temp with a koozie (spelling) would do?

I would say get a power lead with a lower voltage on. You can even get ones with adjustble voltage like mine. It goes from 3v to 12v with a dial.

I suggest this because the voltage on the pd is one way to control the temperature.

Happycamper,

CrazyCracker

DevoTheStrange said:
You can add a length of silicon tubing too the PD tubes. This will allow for the hits too cool down a bit more.
Can anyone suggest a store/place to get some good tubing? Sorry if it has already been covered, searched around but didn't find the answer.

CrazyCracker,

CrazyCracker

I was actually looking for a store in town I can physically go to. Trying to pick it up today. Restaurant supply store? Medical supply? Home Depot? Ace?

CrazyCracker,

t00fatt

CrazyCracker said:
I was actually looking for a store in town I can physically go to. Trying to pick it up today. Restaurant supply store? Medical supply? Home Depot? Ace?
You can get the vinyl stuff from home depot, but I would stick with silicon. Don't know about 1/2" but we use 5/32" silicon for our water lines in our R/C boats. My buddy who owns a hobby shop was telling me about a website that sells about every kind of hose and tubing available. But I haven't been able to find any silicon tubing outside my local hobby shops, but I didn't exactly look hard either. Silicon is some great stuff, had a water line come loose and was resting up against my pipe (exhaust), which gets up and over 300f and did not come close to melting, while the vinyl stuff starts to get real soft and smelly with heat. Had a buddy blow a motor because he was running vinyl lines and the hose got soft and just slipped off the water jacket fitting.

t00fatt,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
CrazyCracker said:
Try your local medical supply, they are more than likely too carry silicon than home depot. Or you can get you some clear hose from home depot, and order some silicon tubing online, and only use the home depot tubing until your silicon comes in.

DevoTheStrange,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
max said:
You need to make sure tubing is food grade. Home Depot? :hmm: :shrug:
dunno bout your home depot, but the one where I live carries food grade tubing (they even carry the same kind of tubing that gets shipped with the Extreme).
All the restaurant supplies around here only carry that white stiff tubing that doesnt like too bend or stretch.

DevoTheStrange,

jklasd

the home depot, lowes, and rona where i live all carry only vinyl tubing. no mention of food grade or anything. just gives you the ID and OD of it, and all the tubing is at 70 degrees F @30psi, whatever that means.

jklasd,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
max said:
the one where I live carries food grade tubing
Then I imagine they all do. Good to know.
Not Necessarily, the one home depot I found it at doesn't always stock it. It just shows up here and there (I see it maybe two - three times a year). And the other home depot's across town only carry vinyl tubing. Some of them even have a limited supply of the vinyl, no wide variety. The home depot i frequent carries more sizes and thicknesses than the other stores here.
Every once in a while you will see a spool of food grade tubing sitting in with the others.

DevoTheStrange,

Ash

vaporist
tomitface said:
i was wondering if there is a convenient simple way to just slightly cool down the PD hits. i quite enjoy to vape on the lower end of the spectrum, and although the PD unit does a fantastic job at keeping bud far from the danger zone (combustion) its just something i have been curious to.
Folks on the MZ thread say that using the "dragonfly diffuser" lowers the temp through a heat sink effect. In theory, by adjusting the size of the heat sink you should be able to dial in a specific temp. Might be cumbersome, however, taking it off for each hit and replacing it after. An easier solution would be to keep your PD in front of a fan. I think that might even give you three new temp settings, low, med, and high.;) Just don't put yor well-ground herbs in front of the fan, too.

Ash,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Heading to downtown Detroit for the Lions game this morning. Running on almost no sleep, we're drinking heavy all day..... The PD is making the short trip with me in use for the whole drive, but is most useful hooked up to the Buick battery in the car while tailgating. What would usually be a 35min drive is going to be a slow killer with today's Turkey Parade. Watch for the clouds on national TV...... Happy Turkey day.

IAmKrazy2,

Lucic77

OK, the Purple Days review.

Ha, its been such a long wait (11+ weeks), that I dont think anything can truly live up to that kind of hype. In a quick review, Id say it doesnt live up to an 11+ week hype (my own fault), but it is great and I love it. I am getting a second one as well.

So when I first got it, there was definitely a wood smell and taste. It took about a week, but that is finally gone. I have to say I did not care for that much, but it is a necessary evil I guess. There is however a pronounced lack of taste compared with combustion that I really miss. This is more psychological than anything and its something I just need to adapt to. I get very high quality herbs in California and some of the tastes are so outrageous its nuts, but oh well. I have to give up combustion and since its the end result I am after, it is a small price to pay. The first and second draw does deliver a taste, its just not as deep if that makes sense.

In my mini-review before, I said that the air was not too hot as to burn my throat. Still stands, however my mouth does get incredibly dry while using the PD. I am trying to recall (as I read the entire PD thread while waiting for its arrival), but someone mentioned keeping some liquid in your mouth while using it. Ill have to try that.

I have two grinders, a 4pc Space Case Medium and a 4pc Space Case Scout. The scout is whats needed for the PD in my case. Grinds up herbs well for the PD, but not as small as a coffee grinder. If theres a way to grind a bit finer than the Scout I would go for that. Now, I have encountered an issue that I thought I would (and still may) grow out of, but it bothers me each time. I always drop herb into the PD chamber. This of course results in a bad taste/smell and I have to stop my session to spank the PD. More annoying than anything, but it bothers me.

My system usually start by using the straw/stab method to fill the stem, then I lay my PD on its side with the stem in for a couple of minutes to heat it up. Usually for some reason, I do not get the best cloud on first draw. But after that, I get consistent big clouds for about 4 draws, and that diminishes for another hit or two. Maybe I am in the perfect light situation, but I can see vapor clouds every time I use the PD. It is usually a one-handed operation, which is nice. I havent set the tube straight down ever though, always on an angle.

OK, now a big thing that I didnt understand before I got the PD was vapor. I mean, I thought I did, but clearly after using this (its my first vape), I now understand it. So, when I pick up the PD to use, the tube has no vapor in it, even though its been warming.

Now, after I take a draw, the vapor fills the tube. Think of it like smoke trapped in time. It stands still! I never knew that, and that blew me away. For the last week, I have been obsessed with looking at the vapor in the tube as it sits motionless. Its like a cotton ball or something. It doesnt leave the tube, which is what I thought it would do.

Ive buzzd it twice now, and I have seen the PD get darker which is great. Those pics of the walnut PDs are my favorite and after only 1 week the cherry as become darker. Maybe over time it will darken even more. Have a really good grain on mine, and since I hold my PD on its side or nearly upside down, I see a teardrop that I love on it.

So, in closing, I really love the PD. It is certainly not a party vape, but two people (max 3?) could get a decent session out of it, especially with multiple tubes, but it may take a while. I will be getting another as well because I see this as my only way of medicating from here on out. Thank to Tom and Pammy and especially the FC folks for making me aware of this great product.
Cheers!

Lucic77,

Purple-Days

Glad you are enjoying the PD Lucic.

Sorry about the long wait. As explained in the availability thread, several things caused our lead time to get extended. Two deaths in the family, unexpected eye surgery etc. etc.

I have seen the word 'hype' thrown around a lot. The best definition I can find (that applies in the way I think you and others mean the word) is: 'publicize in an exaggerated and often misleading manner'. It's time to ask... when I have exaggerated or mis-lead anyone? I want to know, cause it's not my style.

Purple-Days,

Lucic77

Purple-Days said:
Glad you are enjoying the PD Lucic.

Sorry about the long wait. As explained in the availability thread, several things caused our lead time to get extended. Two deaths in the family, unexpected eye surgery etc. etc.

I have seen the word 'hype' thrown around a lot. The best definition I can find (that applies in the way I think you and others mean the word) is: 'publicize in an exaggerated and often misleading manner'. It's time to ask... when I have exaggerated or mis-lead anyone? I want to know, cause it's not my style.
The wait was never a big thing with me. I knew going in what I was signing up for, as both VN and yourself never hid that. It was only that final week, when it is so close that I got close to crazy, lol. :D

For me, the hype was the idea of what the product was going to be combined with the wait. Not meant as a misleading claim. It was all in my head. If anything, I think both you and VN too upfront about the process, which I find refreshing.

At this point Tom, I don't think you can (or should) do anything different. It's the free market. I knew going into the buying process it was going to take a while. That's that the "+" on "7+" conveyed. I could have made other choices for a quicker turn around, but I chose to get and wait for the PD, and when all was said and done I am very happy with my choice.

Thanks again.

Lucic77,

Purple-Days

Doing everything we can to whittle away at the lead time. Vapenow based their predictions on a steady flow of product. Sometimes life throws you a curve. And as I mentioned in the other thread, when you work 7 days a week, there is no weekend to make up for lost days. They are just gone.

Trying to whittle away at the lead time, I placed an order for another tool or two for the shop yesterday. Ouch. They may (or may not) help speed things up, worth trying anyway.

Purple-Days,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I actually felt a little guilty when Lucic mentioned hype... I personally don't think you 'hype' the product AT ALL Tom. I think sometimes the word is misused BUT I think "WE" the customers do promote the product quite fiercely. I'm pretty new here but I find myself promoting it, some might use the word hype but I don't think the word is used as defined. I think in this case the perceived hype is from the customers. I think that the happiness we as PD owners convey on this forum is wonderful and not at all exaggerated.

I also understand you work as hard as possible but I honestly don't think you should work 7 days a week and if that means longer wait times, so be it. Even with your recovery I'm thinking you probably didn't take as much time off as the doctor would have preferred.

I love my PD so much I did order a 2nd one and I feel very thankful to have discovered it :D

Enjoy that new PD Lucic!!

Lo,

Purple-Days

Yeah, the Doctor wouldn't have approved, but he was a good judge of character and tossed a stitch in the eye (both times). Belt and suspenders approach.

I work 7 days a week, because that's how I am (though I did take Thanksgiving off, per Pammy's orders, enjoyed the heck out of a Bozo the Clown retrospective, haven't laughed that hard in a while).

But, 'work' is 20 feet from my front door, and I can come in for lunch and dinner and short breaks... I am my own boss, and I like the work, so it's not so much work.

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom