Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
what an awesome balanced review, i dug reading it.
just a few points - vaporizing makes you thirsty regardless of what vaporizer you use.
the "tokin" guy who posts here once in a while did some fantastic videos demonstrating the silver surfer vape and he hipped me to the idea of drinking tea while vaping.

of course drying out your weed is very important for getting the most out of your PD- it is a very necessary step, and you might want to try putting a few buds in a shotglass and letting it sit on top of your PD for a few hours before grinding it.

if you want to get a finer grind, just, as a finishing touch, snip around with a manicuring scissor.

or just, instead of a grinder, just smash the shit out of your material with a mortar and pestle.

as you get more into it you'll pick up on subtle nuances and an improved skill set that becomes second nature.

regarding "hype" - there's no hype and there's no holy grail, it's ultimately just an appliance but many people happen to consider it second to none for what it is - an efficient personal vaporizer.

jeffp,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I wouldn't say drying your bud is a must. At first I dried mine up from what I had initially read here on FC. But after reading a few comments from other members, I am slowly turning away from completely drying my bud. Especially with the PD. I dry it enough too get it too grind, but leave it a tiny bit moist. Reasoning behind this.... Flavor. The first few hits when you keep your herb a bit fresh are some awesome tasting hits.
And if you think about it, those first few hits are going too dry your bud out anyway. I am no longer a believer in having my bud completely dried out.
the one big difference I noticed is you use less material if it isn't dried out completely. Why? moist material takes up more space.
For me it is all about flavor. The tubes seem tastier if the bud doesn't have all its moisture sapped out of it IMO.

DevoTheStrange,

Frickr

devo i experimented with this this weekend. and i agree with you, there is no reason to dry your buds. a friend of mine had some nice fresh bud, and mine was on the dryer side. the dryer stuff didnt have nearly half the flavor, and was actually a little harsher on the throat. while the moister stuff (when i say moist i mean fresh, sticky goodness) had tons of flavor.

as far as vapability - new word i think - the dryer stuff vaped quicker as in larger clouds off the bat so there was less hits, on average 3 nice large clouds, and 2 or 3 smaller clouds before hardly anything.

while the moister material seemed to vape slower. the first hit would be tasty but not a huge cloud of vapor, still a cloud of vapor though. the second hit still had alot of flavor and the hit was larger fallowed by a large 3 and 4 hits, fallowed by a few small hits.

while both packed the same way, both ground to the same consistancy, the moister stuff was easier to draw on, and as it would dry out, it would shrink back into the bowl about 1/16 of an inch from when started vaping the bowl.

my conclusion on the deal was that the dry stuff did vape 'easier' but had significantly less flavor. while the moister stuff still vaped well, it required a few extra hits to ensure that everything is out. but was easier on the throat, and had less irritation compaired to the dry stuff. the hot air flowing over the material does dry it out in the first few hits, i feel the extra water vapor your inhaling helps out with the throat irritation.

Frickr,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
interesting stuff, frickr. I wonder how much of the differences you noticed were due to the difference in strains and not just the quality of the curing.

stickstones,

Lucic77

I agree, the dryer the herbs, the less flavor. I have been experimenting all weekend. I find that regular herbs, ground up and put into a tube and allowed to sit in the PD for about 3-4 minutes, makes it both tasty and able to give good hits.

Lucic77,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
there is also a more aromatic quality too the vapor when its not dried. More of a pot smell than you would get with dried herb. Like someone left their stash sitting open in the room... I enjoy this smell.
Seems like the drier it is there is less smell, and flavor.

DevoTheStrange,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
interesting, ok - my experience is that drying engenders stronger hits and i vape more to get fucked up than for flavor, but i agree that there's an aromatic quality that is lost when material is dried.

jeffp,

Purple-Days

Life is full of trade offs. You give up this to get that.

'Fresh, cured weed', varies from region to region. From sticky ass 10 meter sensi, to brick/bulk weed.

Odor molecules (there are fancy names for them) are volatile, that's why they hit the nose. They don't tend to stick around either, pull my finger. ;) Just opening a baggie and taking a whiff, you lost some of those molecules, gone forever. That's why I have always been driven crazy by dealers who mishandle their product, then sell it to you in a 2 cent sandwich bag. :bang: (I like the odor of weed(s). But it's a minor priority to me)

So, drying obviously releases those odor molecules, lots of them anyway.

But, here is the trade off department:
A) Surface area is important, that's why we all(?) use grinders. More surface area means faster delivery of the goods (the ones we are really after) into the airstream.
B) Fresh(?), Cured(?), whatever you choose to call it, is moist with H20 / water, as well as those odor molecules. That water needs to be boiled off before effective vaporization of THC* can take place.

As reported above, "moister stuff still vaped well, it required a few extra hits to ensure that everything is out". I think both reasons are involved. The first (extra) hit is boiling of water vapor and terpines (one of those odor molecules, there are others) etc. producing a tasty hit... the last (extra) hits are dissipating stuff that would have been more quickly given off with greater surface area.

Conclusions?
A) Dry and grind for max surface area and minimal water vapor = Rapid extraction and less flavor.
B) Retain moisture and flavor= Slower extraction but great flavor.

Obviously fresh and dry are relative terms with no fixed meaning in our usage. And you can get between the two for a 'happy medium' and other options.

What would I do? Mostly put it on a saucer or dish that sits overnight on a de-humidifier. Next morning grinding mid fine, use a 4" plastic grinder with numerous missing teeth, :lol: This is not for immediate use, but will re-humidify over the next few days sitting in an open (room air) wooden bowl and be distributed to the daily use bowls as needed. This gives you a nice grind consistency but a little higher moisture for possibly a bit more pleasant hits than a 'dry / grind / use now' product.

What about, when a buddy stops by? I just take a pinch, shred with fingers, stuff a tube and draw. Use Plan B above... always more tasty, but always extra hits for complete delivery. I won't turn it down and say, "no I have to dry it first." :cool:

IMO, whatever works for you, nobody can be right on this question. But for folks just starting out, who maybe haven't even tried vapor, or are using the PD as a new device for them, drying would be my suggestion. Others can branch out from there.

Heat on in the shop this morning, better get out there and 'use' it'. :)

Purple-Days,

Frickr

we took one of the moister buds and dried it out well. and compairing the same strain, i couldnt tell any differance in potency. i just found it enjoyable to be able to taste the flavor of the weed. the dryer weed did hit harder faster, but i feel the end product was the same. just gives a little more time to enjoy the vapor.

Frickr,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Frickr said:
we took one of the moister buds and dried it out well. and compairing the same strain, i couldnt tell any differance in potency. i just found it enjoyable to be able to taste the flavor of the weed. the dryer weed did hit harder faster, but i feel the end product was the same. just gives a little more time to enjoy the vapor.
I'd have too agree with that... the end product is the same... just all depends on how you choose too get there.
that and my bud tends too last a few days longer when it is slightly moist, compared too dried out.
Most likely do too fact that herb with moisture takes up more space than herb without. Therefore I am not loading the bowl as full as I would with completely dried material.

DevoTheStrange,

Lucic77

Well, I am now fully on board with the moist/dry over just dry camp. I am getting the same results, it tastes way better. I do the 3-4 minute heat up and I am consistently getting a lot of hits. Tastes much better and the taste lasts longer.

Nothing wrong with using the dried out stuff, just a preference.

Lucic77,

Purple-Days

It's just what you prefer. :peace:

The PD is primarily a convection vape. But there is a conduction component through the highly conductive stainless steel.

Pre-heat times on the PD tube range from zero seconds to a 30 second interval. Minimum to maximum results IMO. Any extra time is irrelevant. Overnight tests show no (minimal over 12 hours) significant vapor loss.

At Zero you get room temp herbs in a room temp tube. Best flavor.
At 5 Seconds you get a moderately warmed SS tube and a bit of conduction, Best combo IMO.
A 20-30 second wait, well, that's for the later hits.

30 seconds plus... "yep, left it in there, meant to do that, it's a strategy..." ;)

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

Been shaping tubes recently... always do...

Anyway, I have used a few methods over the last (nearly) two years. Dremels, grinders, lathe action, ...

The final shape, as it started out, is an 'out-ie'.

Better than ever, we now use 600 grit paper. 80-120-150-220-320-600.

Hot soapy water cleansed and each 4Hp Shop Vac dried. Serious wind speed.

Always on a quest. Smooth. :cool:

While at it, some neighbors and friends have suggested changes.

One item, is a distinction between tubes.
Some folks want an indelible mark.
Marked tubes? Custom tubes?
Check out the Mark'rs :drool:
and Whip-Rippers... for the tubing folks. :mental: :wave:
http://purple-days.com/Other_Stuff.html
:buzz:

Purple-Days,

willywagtail

ha, I love this ... much better than the other holders :D

20fs0t1.jpg

willywagtail,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Looking at all the new stuff Tom is selling makes me wanna spend money I dont have... :D all kinds of neat things.... Quite a collection of accessories, and it is slowly growing.

DevoTheStrange,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Gotta admit i am a sucker for the accessories Tom. The Marked tubes will be ordered... the little fellas look nice too. Might be nice to use hooked to bong.

IAmKrazy2,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
BUZZHEAD said:
DOES ANYONE BY ANY CHANCE KNOW THE HIGHEST ORDER # ON THE PD?
NO BUZZHEAD I DO NOT OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD. BUT FORTUNATELY THERE IS A THREAD IN THE VAPOR LOUNGE THAT IS SPECIFICALLY DEVOTED TO THE PD ORDERING STATUS.

ALSO, THERES THIS THING CALLED THE CAPS LOCK, YOU MIGHT WANT TO MAKE SURE YOURS ISN'T ON.

;)

sneezyjesus,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
Tom I have a question regarding the Vapor Zone shirts. Do you sell smalls? (I'm a stick of a human being.)

sneezyjesus,

MrMistyTokes

Steam Engine
great stuff with the new styles tom!

I have already chopped my self a stubby (least used tube) left one as an innie (for kicks :uhoh:) but the one i use all the time has a flat mouthpiece like an old wooden or corncob style pipe. I love it very much, thought id share! whittled it 2mm from the inner bore on both sides then put a bit of flame to it for a perfect smooth :)

keep on keepin on

MrMistyTokes,

Purple-Days

Pammy and I are enjoying the latest tube version (typo-ed lastest, corrected it, but...) the mouthpiece is slick after that 600 grit.

I have tried lots of stuff including steel wools (they work but several draw-backs) and leather stropping (another way that works, but...)

Funny, MrMisty, that you should mention flames. Carpenters in cold climates look for extra work, and that was me in the mid 80s. Temp agencies are sorta nice for somebody that needs work this week but might not the next. What variety? What menial work sometimes. One evening "Tom, I've got a third shift factory gig for you." "Cool, I'll be there" . . . Your assignment Mr. Phelps is to stand at this conveyor grab hot 2 gallon Nalgene containers as they come out of the molder, take this here butcher knife, trim the hot sprue from the container, pop the cookie (waste material) out of the center of the handle, then use this here flame thrower (a gas hose with a handle and piezo lighter and nozzle, squeeze the handle auto ignition) to smooth the seams. Cool, Mr. Slate.

So picture Lucy and Ethel at the candy conveyor... slipping and sliding on layers of plastic cookies with a butcher knife in my hand. The flame thrower didn't work most of the time, click, click, click, click, click, by this time you had released a good deal of propane around yourself, click POW, nice fireball, then you can continue. Exciting.

Anyway, in an industrial application I have seen flames used to smooth plastics, but felt that I didn't want any chance of changing the chemical composition of the polyproylene, just pure PP #5.

Sorry, Sneezy, Medium is as small as we have.

Purple-Days,

reece

Purple-Days said:
Cool, Mr. Slate.

So picture Lucy and Ethel at the candy conveyor...
I loved the Flintstones and I Love Lucy reruns when I was a kid. I can't count the number of times I saw the candy conveyor episode. I can't remember if it was I Love...or The Lucy Show, though. Brings back memories and I can't help but think my kids are missing out on something by not being exposed to the old shows. If I try it's almost a guarantee the oldest won't like it. Almost a complete shutdown when I showed her some Three Stooges. She's only ten, so maybe she'll grow into it, or maybe she's already lost. Then again, the wife doesn't like the Stooges either so maybe it's some genetic defect. The youngest is 2, so maybe there's still hope for her.;)

reece,
Top Bottom