Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Wow Hennesssy, what you just said made me flash on one of my top cereal choices, Post Selects Great Grains with raisin, date & pecan.

jeffp,

NoSmoke

Thanks Tom! Time to get some sandpaper and make my PD look pretty again! I'm gonna post before and after pictures so you guys can see the abuse I have given this thing. Most of it happend in the first month of use on vacation in Puerto Rico, it cruised all throughout the island and allowed me to experience vaping by the ocean for the first time in my life :D It was awesome! PD made it back to the states also after being used, god bless iso and the quick cleaning method of the PD spank spank. Awesome vape!

NoSmoke,

aterphasma

Hey, Tom, I've been thinking about your dark fin idea and I have to wonder: would the darker fins make for a hotter temp or will it still be about 380F? I know darker materials radiate and absorb heat energy faster than light materials, so I'm just curious.

Cheers

aterphasma,

kalinga

Aterphasma, does this dark material principle also apply to conduction and convection or just light radiation?

kalinga,

kalinga

Henny, beautiful PDs you got there. How often do you apply buzz butter on that dark cherry? And what type of maple is that? Western? Red leaf? Tiger? Curly?

kalinga,

aterphasma

Considering the PD heats the air via both conduction and radiation, I should think it's a reasonable question since the dark fins should (read should; I don't know for sure since I don't have two PDs to compare with) heat the air faster than the silver fins. But that aside, I'm just wondering if Tom has done a comparison or if he had to change parts or something in order to keep the temp the same.

On another note, Henny's looks to be quilted maple, but I can't tell for sure. Sure is a beautiful piece, though. Have any other pictures? I want to drool some more. :D

[Edited: curly to quilted; curly is a tree, quilted is the figuring]

aterphasma,

Purple-Days

The Maple and Walnut I bought were only labeled 'figured'. Some of the walnut was burl or crotch wood (all gone), some plain as Jane, some nicely figured. The Maple is pretty consistently figured. Species??? Who knows, but it is very hard.

The Dark Fins are a lark. :D They are fun and safe. And why not have fun? ;)

As far as temperature: the voltage, casing density, draw speed and ambient temperature (to name a few) are all going to affect the convective air temp more than black fins ever will. They won't raise the temperature. At the outside, they may draw heat from the heat sinks and heat exchanger tube into the fin components more efficiently, I have zero evidence of this... (not at all IMO).

Yeah, it cost me a few extra cents, but it's for fun. :cool:

Purple-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
NoSmoke said:
Man my PD is so bummy compared to your guy's, it could be the abuse it has taken but it seems as if mine doesnt have that sleekness, I still love her to death though, its so unique I'm gonna post some pics as soon as I get the chance! Mine goes from being dark brown in the front to a very light brown, almost tan in the back!
Do you buzz butter it once in a while? It really comes to life and visually becomes more cohesive when you do that....

jeffp,

kalinga

Purple-Days said:
Looking forward to the African Blackwood, Lignum Vitae, Padauk, and Zebrawood. Some of the others I have used and some I don't know anything about.

Oh, I have considered some smaller tools, but the ones I have work well, when I sharpen them. Sometimes you just have to stop and say, enough, time to sharpen. The gouge gets done on my bench grinder (set and locked at 30 degrees on the fine stone and with a guide block, dedicated to that job only) the skew gets done by hand on a flat stone.
I wonder how hard it would be to carve a Lignum with normal gouges since it's the densest and hardest wood in the planet. I've read that it requires carbide tipped chainsaws to cut one.

kalinga,

purplechango

jeffp said:
NoSmoke said:
Man my PD is so bummy compared to your guy's, it could be the abuse it has taken but it seems as if mine doesnt have that sleekness, I still love her to death though, its so unique I'm gonna post some pics as soon as I get the chance! Mine goes from being dark brown in the front to a very light brown, almost tan in the back!
Do you buzz butter it once in a while? It really comes to life and visually becomes more cohesive when you do that....
man guys, my PD has gotten abused, scuff here, dent there, dirty hands here and there, but BuzzButter to the rescue.

I just noticed that the PD wood is getting darker. I've recently started wrapping the PD in a small towel for a while, then I unwrap it and while still super warm i apply the BB. At lest two coats. The first will pretty much clean the nasties, and the 2nd puts some floss in the gloss. :brow:

as for how often i use the BB, idk.....whenever i get to staring at my PD and get to thinking, "damn it looks dirty"

purplechango,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Okay... officially making me jealous! I can't wait to butter my PD :cool: when it arrives!

Lo,

josh

An older picture from when I first unpacked the box. It felt like Christmas.

An up-close pic before I buttered her up.

Freshly buttered and head on.

Now from the side.

And a last shot from an angle

I really love this PD. It is such a beauty with the contrast of light and dark wood and the grain is amazing. The second PD I got a month or so back wasn't nearly as impressive from a visual perspective, but that one got sold to a friend so no pics of it. I have a new one on the way so hopefully it will be just as beautiful and unique as this one.

josh,

Purple-Days

Wow, I am seeing Purple-Days units. I mean really seeing them. And I am enjoying it a lot.

The Cataract Surgery went well, I suppose. The drops keep my eye dilated and that screws with the vision (blurry, some ghost image on high contrast sharp items like this screen), but things are so colorful (nearly pychedelic, not fooling) and clear and better, that... well it's hard to describe. So many details in life that were missing. Like the grain of the woods, leaves on trees, waves, or even the beautiful Fuck Combustion forum background.

So, they gave me something to 'wink you out' and they shoot Lidocaine (I don't want to know where) and you come to while the guy is working. This is supposed to be cool because the lidocaine 'blocks you vision". Uhhh, :uhoh:, not on me. Woke up and could see him working, all blurry as hell with no lens, but I saw the shadows of the instruments as he worked. FUN ! not... specially as it was obvious that it was a bit more difficult than most, including a stitch (sounded like that was not normal either). Asked the Doc, while they were finishing if he had ever heard the Bill Cosby / Doctor says Oops! episode... he had.) So they put a shield on and taped me up and the follow up was a few hours later.

Untaped, light coming through the lid, good sign, I thought. I could tell he was ready to put a drop in my eye and opened... Oh hell !

Everything was slanted 30 degrees counterclockwise. Oh hell !!! It was bright and clear and so colorful, but all wrong. In those first few seconds, I thought,maybe I can get used to this, it is better even if it is FUBAR. "so, how does it look?", asks Doc. "Uh, real clear, and colorful... uh but everything is slanted left... a lot.", I say. "Oh that's OK, there are 6 muscles that control eye movement and they haven't all woken up yet. They will in a little while." And they did. But it was freaky as can be, and it would have been nice to get a heads up that it might happen. For about 10 seconds I thought . . .

Anyway, Done. And I can see again. For those that didn't know I quit driving a few years ago because of my vision. Fixed income and self pay for medical, meant saving till we could afford the surgery. Other health issues for me and Pammy (more urgent) got in the way and kept depleting the funds, so the eyes were on the back burner.

Fortunately Purple-Days has provided enough to finally get one done. A big thanks to all our supporters. Wow, I can see !

So the past day or so has been spent staring at little things. Like the detail of a second hand on a wall clock, or a flower's petals, or colors of the fruit and vegetable aisle of the market. And this morning looking at some PDs on this forum, or a raw chunk of wood in the shop (seeing into the grain). Fun !

I have to take a week away from dusty activities, so no turning or boring, but I will be in the shop working, but with a light schedule. Mostly metalwork, cutting tubing, building heat exchangers and vapor tips. Stamping muslin bags, and paperwork, making booklets etc.

Thanks for your patience everyone. :)

Purple-Days,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Man I'm so happy to read your post!!! Really glad you were able to get the surgery and see all the little thing's you've been missing!! Awesome!! Truly awesome!!

I hope you enjoy your recovery time too!! Best of luck!

Lo,

lwien

Purple-Days said:
Fixed income and self pay for medical, meant saving till we could afford the surgery. Other health issues for me and Pammy (more urgent) got in the way and kept depleting the funds, so the eyes were on the back burner.
I thought you were a vet Tom. Wouldn't the VA pick up on this?

Anyways, welcome back. Glad everything went well, and thanks for the heads up regarding everything looking slanted at first. I'll have to remember that when I eventually go in.

lwien,

Purple-Days

Yes, Im a Vet... DD214 and all (big H). But have never been one to stand in line, or sit, when I was able to get up and work for myself. Lot's of folks in more need than me. Just my way of looking at things. I pay because I can, others don't because they can't. Same for the Gall bladder last year, but standing in line might have killed me. So you pay. And the last point on that (and a small one maybe) is, it's a damn long drive to Vet services of that sort (multi visits) from where we are. . .

It really went quite beyond my plan for getting fixed and went well beyond reasonable vision loss. I started getting hurt toward the end. Falling etc... But, I still had a plan, and saw 'the light' at the end of the tunnel. Now that I can see with one and not the one I was using (as the good one) I'm not so sure how I did manage. But it's all good now.

Anybody who knows someone with cataracts, they seem to be getting more common in my age bracket, get them to see what they can have done. It's worth it, and not painful at all. Very worth it. :cool:

Purple-Days,

dadesign

Purple-Days said:
Yes, Im a Vet... DD214 and all (big H). But have never been one to stand in line, or sit, when I was able to get up and work for myself. Lot's of folks in more need than me. Just my way of looking at things. I pay because I can, others don't because they can't. Same for the Gall bladder last year, but standing in line might have killed me. So you pay. And the last point on that (and a small one maybe) is, it's a damn long drive to Vet services of that sort (multi visits) from where we are. . .

It really went quite beyond my plan for getting fixed and went well beyond reasonable vision loss. I started getting hurt toward the end. Falling etc... But, I still had a plan, and saw 'the light' at the end of the tunnel. Now that I can see with one and not the one I was using (as the good one) I'm not so sure how I did manage. But it's all good now.

Anybody who knows someone with cataracts, they seem to be getting more common in my age bracket, get them to see what they can have done. It's worth it, and not painful at all. Very worth it. :cool:
My man, I am also a vet and whether you need it or not, it still exists for us to utilize. in fact by using it they get allocated more money. the VA hospital is first rate here. the time is about a month wait. and regardless of income, you can get assistance. you might have co pay from them but it certainly beats waiting for it. thing of all the things you might have missed seeing with out, perhaps some very nice PDs

in short the doctors and care will be there if many don't but if many do, it might make it even better for every one..but your choice.. there are some that abuse it so why not balance it out. I am not one to run for every little thing myself but something like that could only improve quality of life...still I understand the principle you mean

dadesign,

kalinga

Welcome back Tom! Glad everything went well.

Josh, nice and slick PD. I like the two-tone effect of that cherry. What kind of wood did you order next?

kalinga,

Purple-Days

Thanks everybody.

Rode my bicycle to the grocery and got some reading glasses. Wow, am I out of shape. Wow, I can see pixels.

You get a choice of distance or close up when they put the new lens in. I choose distance, so I wear reading glasses (again) like the old timer I am. :cool:

Purple-Days,

catlady

Hi Everyone -- I need some help/advice...

I am wondering if there is a way to 'vaporize' marijuana tinctures (THC in alcohol). In particular, can I do this with the PD?

Any creative solutions? Would this be safe? What if I sprayed it on the plant and then vapourized it?

catlady,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
catlady said:

I am wondering if there is a way to 'vaporize' marijuana tinctures (THC in alcohol). In particular, can I do this with the PD?

Any creative solutions? Would this be safe? What if I sprayed it on the plant and then vapourized it?
That will work. Can use dropper bottle, put nugs on a small upside down beer bottle top (so it will hold the liquid) and put a whole dropper full on. Let it dry a bit and evporate alcohol, put it near a fan.

When dry enough will be super strong bud and will vape, but remeber needs to be very dry for PD so might take a little bit of time.

Happycamper,

catlady

Happycamper said:
catlady said:

That will work. Can use dropper bottle, put nugs on a small upside down beer bottle top (so it will hold the liquid) and put a whole dropper full on. Let it dry a bit and evporate alcohol, put it near a fan.

When dry enough will be super strong bud and will vape, but remeber needs to be very dry for PD so might take a little bit of time.
thanks happycamper!

My tincture is in a spray form (not dropper)... But i guess i could spray it on, even though it might waste some.

My tincture also contains Propylene glycol, and peppermint oil..... any idea if these ingredients can be harmful if inhaled?

catlady,
Top Bottom