Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Purple-Days

Couple of thoughts on the battery.

First question: Is at an engine starting battery or a deep-cycle battery? I think car batteries should not be run under 85% of their capacity or you risk damage to the battery. A deep cycle is made to be drained much further and drained repeatedly.

The PD draws 7.2 Watts. There are formulas you can use from there (see: trolling motors + battery drain, or such) .

BUT, before doing a lot of math... That's like two bedroom night lights. I know ;) a single car interior dome light left on will drain a car battery overnight, or used to, so I wouldn't try running a PD more than a few hours on a standard battery. Long enough to enjoy the Drive-In Theater double feature, without worry, in most cars, I believe*. Of course battery condition, type, capacity, age and state of charge etc. will all be factors.

*Don't call me for a jump. :cool:

A fellow was asking about the bits I use to bore a PD. The big ones are called Forstner Bits. They have several uses in woodworking, but most commonly they provide a smooth bore and a flat bottomed hole. I have and use two types, the carbide (blue bits) are pretty aggressive, the HSS (black) make a fine cut and are easier to handle, but require sharpening by hand.

Purple-Days,

vap999

highendvapes said:
Hey does anyone have any idea how long a pd can run off of a car battery without running the car? I want to take it car camping, but dont want to have to keep running the truck to keep it charged. I've left it in there for a couple of hours at a time with no prob, but wonder how long I could get away with leaving it in before I wouldnt be able to start the truck.
I've taken the extreme before, and it worked great cause it only ran when we were using it. I want to take the PD and SSV this time, but am worried about discharging the battery too much.
A fail-safe and probably the best option is to get a basic car jump start battery device (or a plain battery with similar cranking power). So even if your vehicle battery runs down, you can always jump start your car. For example, see http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-9796-Quick-Jumper-Jumpstarter/dp/B00005OWK2/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_b Something like this would be good to have on hand when out camping and in general. And I presume any 12-14 volt, 1+ amp battery could be used as a portable battery for the PD.

Presuming your battery can reliably last one day at this load, you could simply recharge it by running the engine some each day (if you don't need to go somewhere, take a joy ride). Before you go, you could test how long the battery powers the PD, but have access to a jump start if needed.

Theoretically, I presume you could check the battery for its power rating (amps-hours?), divide this by the PD power consumption (?1 amp?), divide this at least in half to allow for real-world performance and other things draining power, and crudely come up with the number of hours your battery could power the PD. And since you don't want to run down your battery, it would be best to just consider a small portion of this number of hours as likely to not cause any problems.

vap999,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
Thats pretty much my line of thought as well. Ive drained my battery by leaving the door ajar when I was younger, cant imagine batteries have changed that much over time. I'm more wondering if it would make it thru the night so it would be nice and hot for wake and vape and still be able to start the truck. Im thinking it wont make it. Bummer guess I gotta run the inverter and use the SSV. Would really be nice to have the PD in the woods though.

I do have 3 12v batteries that went to a Vapir mini, wonder if I can put new ends on them if they would work with the PD. Should work, right?

highendvapes,

vap999

vap999 said:
A fail-safe and probably the best option is to get a basic car jump start battery device (or a plain battery with similar cranking power). So even if your vehicle battery runs down, you can always jump start your car. For example, see http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-9796-Quick-Jumper-Jumpstarter/dp/B00005OWK2/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_b Something like this would be good to have on hand when out camping and in general. And I presume any 12-14 volt, 1+ amp battery could be used as a portable battery for the PD.
CORRECTION:
The link for the example jump starter was for connecting to another vehicle. What is needed is a battery jump starter, such as http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1250910480&sr=8-1 This even has a "12 volt DC power outlet to power and/or recharge DC appliances," such as power a PD. Cheaper models are available, such as http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1250910355&sr=8-1

Make sure any jump start battery has sufficient cranking power to start your vehicle, including in the coldest weather you might encounter.

vap999,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
These are just 10 AAA's run in a series. Might be good for a quick excersion, but cant see it warming it up and then having a session, but then again, I do have 3 of them. I'll give it a shot when I have the time and see how long it can run on a battery before the heat drops off.

highendvapes,

Purple-Days

10AAs will only get you 80-90 minutes with a warm PD so I wouldn't bother with the lower capacity 10AAAs but it's up to you. :2c:

Purple-Days,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
Purple-Days said:
10AAs will only get you 80-90 minutes with a warm PD so I wouldn't bother with the lower capacity 10AAAs but it's up to you. :2c:
Your :2c: is noted, and further experiments in this area will cease. My PD shall remain on my desk. :(

highendvapes,

420Birth

Vaporist - Member #420
I used my PD earlier and my friend came over and asked why it smelled lemony fresh...lol
No more smoke for me....plus immediately popped a Werthers OG and some lavender oil in the copper cap...yeeeah, Im vaked again.

420Birth,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Nowadays they have those chargers that jumpstart the car for you as mentioned. Years ago, before that invention - my father hooked me up! Had a 72 El Camino back then. He wired the stereo direct so I could hang at beach with friends and listen to tunes... He threw an extra car battery behind the drivers seat and a pair of jumper cables - He told me if you have any problems - jump yourself! LOL, man my dad was cool as hell... Miss him! Thanks for making me think of that, if he were still around he'd make sure my PD could run without killing my battery! My husband not. I bought one of those battery jumper dealios though cheap and used it to keep bait alive for fishing. Used the hell out of it for a year before it crapped out... I think having one of those would be the ticket for me.

I love the pictures of the walnut and teak PD's.... The different woods are too cool, would love to see more PD photos... I'm still on wait list so I love looking at them...each have their own character ;)

Lo,

Purple-Days

They also make 'deep-cycle / starting' batteries. If camping and other activities require extended battery use, for a few extra dollars you can install one of these next battery replacement. Used to have one and ran a 12V cord to our tent for some light and music when no standard campsite electric was available. Nice for National Forest style camping.

Thought I would share this with the PD family.

Purple-Days,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
That pic is frikken hilarious Tom... I'm going too have too show a few of my friends... that pic pretty much sums up the reaction I get whenever I vape someone out for the first time...

DevoTheStrange,

NoSmoke

My PD!!! Had her a while never posted pics! :bowdown:;pd;
Julis%20Pics%20293.JPG

Julis%20Pics%20285.JPG

Puple Daze With the Purple Days!
Julis%20Pics%20288.JPG

NoSmoke,

aterphasma

Haha, that picture of your PD on the porch is great. It looks so out of place and reminds me somewhat of the Travelocity gnome; I love it.

aterphasma,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
aterphasma said:
It looks so out of place
NEVER! The ;pd; will fit into ANY decor....you're just remembering the humor of that commercial ;)

:lol:

:peace:

lets get these pics rolling! I LOVE MY PD's!!!!! :D
IMG_0688.jpg

Hennessy1414,

aterphasma

HAHAHAHA! Beautiful, Henn! I love those pictures. Nice size bud you've got there. Toke that shit up! :D

aterphasma,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
well that was my first successful uploading - now I can have some fun with this....

jeffp,
Top Bottom