Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Illumination

So I got my Purple Days about a week ago, and after a number of times using it by myself and with some friends, I have to say that this little thing kicks all sorts of ass. I've never vaped before, but the PD was an EXCELLENT way to introduce me to vaporizing, and I'd probably attribute that to how easy and convenient it is to use. Once you get it warmed up, its easier IMO than rolling anything up or even using a glass piece of some sort (that in itself is easy as shit!!). I love how "clean" the high feels and how it gently creeps up on you. My friends love how little herb is used and that fact that you can still use it a number of ways. One even said if they had an extra 150 they'd make this sound investment.

Not the most descriptive review, but the main point is that the Purple Days vape is a fantastic piece of equipment. I haven't tried the old method of consuming herb and I want to do a comparison, but the PD has been running pretty much all the time, ready to go, and I don't want to get out my bubbler :lol:

Illumination,

Beezleb

I would probably email Tom your question privately and fully and I bet it would get handled better. It kind of puts him on the spot for an advanced question.

Beezleb,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Hit my PD for the first time in a long time tonight. :luv:
Three bowls and I'm totally cashed...it's such a beautiful thing.

I was noticing that the Tea Tree wood is really starting to change colors and deepen...hmmm, I haven't buttered this beast up in a while, either. Buzz butter time :p

I should maybe take some pictures soon...or maybe I'll wait and let the grain grow a little richer :brow: I really love this vaporizer. I have to start using it as a diffuser more...perhaps leaving it on will help the wood "change" faster? I just need to get some oils...hmmm...isn't there a thread somewhere around here about that sort of thing? :p Hehe maybe one more bowl...

partially veiled,

spikyvape

vtac said:
No metal taste here. Not sure I'd know what metal solder tasted like though. :lol:

pv posted about some tests he did.

I have also done some tests lately which basically involve setting up either the PD or the SSV like I was about to use them, then using them as I normally would but without anything in the bowl. The point was to determine if there was any ambient taste, which would of course be blending with the taste of the vaporized herb. Results? PD = nothing but air...
Nice to see you around again, spikyvape. Did you ever end up finding a vape you could consider safe? You should check out the VHW if you haven't already. Afaik it's a 100% glass airpath including the heater.

:tinfoil: :p :D :cheers:
Hi mate,

i am still waiting on my VHW vape, I am on the list that thing is my dream vape ;)

PD is also very nice, only thing is the taste with it, wood, metal or something. And it's new for
me that the vapor is quite warm. It's nice but the vapor from other vapes are really cool.

I got my unit from vapenow and it's a beauty ;)

spikyvape,

max

Out to lunch
Glad you and your friends like the PD Illumination. It really is easy to use. Only a little vapor tube to keep up with. I'm always misplacing my SSV whip. I don't think ease of use gets mentioned enough as a plus. It's a lot less to deal with for people who don't like a lot of equipment, size wise, for vaping. All the hardware was a big adjustment for me when I started vaping, since a little pipe was the most I used for smoking. And the PD, with it's little copper cup, can sit out anywhere and act as a diffuser without worrying about questions from visitors. Love the simplicity. :)

spikyvape said:
PD is also very nice, only thing is the taste with it, wood, metal or something. And it's new for
me that the vapor is quite warm. It's nice but the vapor from other vapes are really cool.
First taste complaint I can remember. :shrug: As for the lack of cool vapor, there are some ingenious add-ons here, including a simple piece of tubing added to the vapor tube. My wife uses that to increase the tube's length by about 7". Makes a big difference for her.

max,

Purple-Days

The plastic in question is #5 polypropylene. I believe I did mistakenley call it polyethylene at some point in this thread. I remember correcting myself, but there must still be an un-corrected post somewhere in here.

Polyethylene... Polypropylene... hope you can see where my mind got twisted for a moment. Fact is they are both food safe, FDA approved. And I did order HDPE (polyethylene) when we started out making the prototypes. We switched to Polypropylene shortly into making the prototypes for several reasons including the looks and performance of the plastic in our application. So having used both, we choose polypropylene, #5.

Is it safe? Temperature ratings can be a deception. The ratings are not based on the safety of the plastics at that temperature. Rather on the suitability of the plastics performance in that temperature.

Folks work in plastics factories every day with this stuff at much higher temps than we ever expose it to. Short of putting the stuff in a pan and melting it to the smoking point, there is no hazard that we can find at the temps we are exposing it to.

As max suggested, and now that you know for sure that it is #5, you can get lots of further info from your web connection.

Purple-Days,

sethhobrin

max said:
Glad you and your friends like the PD Illumination. It really is easy to use. Only a little vapor tube to keep up with. I'm always misplacing my SSV whip. I don't think ease of use gets mentioned enough as a plus. It's a lot less to deal with for people who don't like a lot of equipment, size wise, for vaping. All the hardware was a big adjustment for me when I started vaping, since a little pipe was the most I used for smoking. And the PD, with it's little copper cup, can sit out anywhere and act as a diffuser without worrying about questions from visitors. Love the simplicity. :)

spikyvape said:
First taste complaint I can remember. :shrug: As for the lack of cool vapor, there are some ingenious add-ons here, including a simple piece of tubing added to the vapor tube. My wife uses that to increase the tube's length by about 7". Makes a big difference for her.
WHat is this extension you speak of? I can't seem to find it.

sethhobrin,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
?? - He referred to polypropylene when previously I had seen him discuss polyethylene.
Quick :2c: : It could have been when I asked about the material of the wash bottle (PE #1) not the tubes that get heated (PP #5), no? :shrug:

Progress,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Well I got my PD yesterday and there are lots of things to say about it already. For now I'll keep it short (gotta get some sleep) but just wanted to add to some of the points raised. The polypropylene as far as I can tell is completely inert at the temperatures we're talking about. I can sense no smell or taste from the tubes.

Drawing on an empty tube in the PD, there is only a slight woody taste, which I consider quite pleasant and natural. I have to say that the air coming through is fairly hot - I was expecting this and it will take some getting used to, as I have a sensitive throat. Sethobrin, the extension being talked about is just a length of silicone tubing added onto the vapour tube. I'm hoping I won't need it once I've got my technique right.

My first hit out of this thing was a monster. I used very dry, finely crumbled high grade and sucked it hard into the tube. There was a bit hanging off the end; I scraped it off rather than try to pack it into the tube. The load just sat in there, and not a crumb fell out when I held it upside down. When I put the tube into the PD, I waited about a minute or so until I could smell the herb being warmed up. Then I took one long gentle draw. I didn't even need to use my lungs' full capacity. I have to admit it was pretty hot and hard to hold in, and when I breathed out there wasn't a huge amount of vapour visible, but I could tell that I'd just taken one massive hit. I drew on it again a few more times, but the flavour had gone, and surprisingly there was not really a burnt popcorn taste. Within a few minutes the high kicked in and :ko:...

hazy,

max

Out to lunch
Purple-Days said:
I believe I did mistakenley call it polyethylene at some point in this thread. I remember correcting myself, but there must still be an un-corrected post somewhere in here.
Yes. Multiple posts saying #5PP (it's in the Vaporpedia info too). I don't remember you calling it PE. I'll look today and correct it if I can find it. Slow day at work today-we've got snow keeping people at home.

sethhobrin said:
WHat is this extension you speak of? I can't seem to find it.
It's just vape tubing. You have to supply your own. This size fits well- 3/8" inner diameter (ID), 1/2" outer diameter (OD), and 1/16" wall thickness-same size as the SSV tubing.

hazy said:
I have to say that the air coming through is fairly hot - I was expecting this and it will take some getting used to, as I have a sensitive throat.
Glad you're enjoying your new PD hazy. Slowing down your draw is the easiest way to cool the vapor IMO. Even with a 3 ft. whip I've had the hot air on the throat issue. I've had more of a complaint in this area with a couple of large airway whip vapes than I have with the PD. While my wife likes the tubing extension with the PD, the vapor tube 'as is' is fine for me. I just take slow, easy hits.

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
partially veiled said:
Hit my PD for the first time in a long time tonight. :luv:
Three bowls and I'm totally cashed...it's such a beautiful thing.

I was noticing that the Tea Tree wood is really starting to change colors and deepen...hmmm, I haven't buttered this beast up in a while, either. Buzz butter time :p

I should maybe take some pictures soon...or maybe I'll wait and let the grain grow a little richer :brow: I really love this vaporizer. I have to start using it as a diffuser more...perhaps leaving it on will help the wood "change" faster? I just need to get some oils...hmmm...isn't there a thread somewhere around here about that sort of thing? :p Hehe maybe one more bowl...
Awesome!!!! Glad to have you 'back' man. :p

I also have a Tea Tree unit and I agree with you. The grain is totally deepening. I posted some pictures a few pages back (I know, an impossible chore) of a really nice - hi-res of my tea tree. Comparing it to the day I first got the vape, it's hard to even believe it's the same wood! :D She's evolving!!!!

SpiralArchitect,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
hmmmm..this raises a question for me. If you were to keep a PD on for so long (like most all of us here) would the wood degenerate and breakdown? would the vapor not 'cook' as well? hmm maby this vaporizer isn't old enough fot that question to be answered just yet..I wonder :uhoh:

well the ;pd; is the shit right now...probably will be for my kids too when I get much older and hand it down to them(and if I ever have kids :uhoh: ) haha

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
One of the reasons I decided to get a PD was because I believe it will outlast me. It's even more solid than I expected. It will certainly be making vapour long after most other vapes have bitten the dust.

max said:
Slowing down your draw is the easiest way to cool the vapor IMO. Even with a 3 ft. whip I've had the hot air on the throat issue. I've had more of a complaint in this area with a couple of large airway whip vapes than I have with the PD. While my wife likes the tubing extension with the PD, the vapor tube 'as is' is fine for me. I just take slow, easy hits.
Thanks max, yeah it might take me a little while to work out the best technique that suits my physical abilities. Now that I know what the PD is capable of, I'm quite happy to take it easy.

hazy,

max

Out to lunch
If they have food grade tubing the right size. You can also get it from silversurfervap.com -10 ft. for $7.50.

max,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Well that didn't take long :lol: I've found that I just need to place my lips gently against the end of the vapour tube and take small sips - literally as if it's a really hot drink - pulling in additional cool air around the sides. I tend to keep a "stiff upper lip" rather than pursing them. No need for extra tubing or other gimmicks... it's excellent ;)

hazy,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
^ The 'taking a drag from a joint' technique is what I use 90% of the time too, sans pulling in outside air, though, usually. With practice you can milk a thick mouthful. So tasty rolling around over your tongue, and it cools off substantially before you french inhale-- perfect for those sensitive to heat. Just one slow drag results in a pretty big cloud, but back-to-backs are fun once in a while too. :D

:cheers:

vtac,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
vtac said:
^ The 'taking a drag from a joint' technique is what I use 90% of the time too, sans pulling in outside air, though, usually. With practice you can milk a thick mouthful. So tasty rolling around over your tongue, and it cools off substantially before you french inhale-- perfect for those sensitive to heat. Just one slow drag results in a pretty big cloud, but back-to-backs are fun once in a while too. :D

:cheers:
agreed, thats what i do most of the time too, the french inhale is a good diagnostic too to see if a bowl is cashed or not without potentially wasting any vapor, not to mentions its pretty fun and tasty :tup:

Acolyte of Zinglon,

sethhobrin

Got my PD 2 days ago but haven't had the time to unbox it until tonight. Been a busy week... So here is my review.

I recently returned an Extreme because it was just too much and so many pieces. I smoke solo 99% of the time so it didn't make sense.

I have found that the best way to use it is in very short small puffs from the vapor tube in quick succession exhaling through the nose. This gets me a TON of vapor over any other way I have tried.

This is amazing. 3 bowls from the puple days and I am nicely baked through with a huge grin on my face. This is probably 1/4 of what I pack in to a glass piece that doesn't get me as great as this. My hopes were completely answers.

The purple days itself is very nice. I buttered it right up with some nice coats of buzz butter and turned it on for an hour. I came back and it was a beautful darker color with a great pattern. It came alive. It was amazing.

This thing is everything I hoped for.

sethhobrin,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
yes, ive found that a bowl will go a lot further for me if i consume it in small puffs over a period of about a half hour, its strange but its much more pleasant than sucking down a bowl in 2 or 3 big hits, and seems to get me higher for a bit longer

perhaps the bioavailibility of vapor isnt as high as we think?

Acolyte of Zinglon,

sethhobrin

Acolyte of Zinglon said:
yes, ive found that a bowl will go a lot further for me if i consume it in small puffs over a period of about a half hour, its strange but its much more pleasant than sucking down a bowl in 2 or 3 big hits, and seems to get me higher for a bit longer

perhaps the bioavailibility of vapor isnt as high as we think?
a half hour???? My session usually lasts about 3 minutes lol.... is there vapor for that long?

sethhobrin,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i usually take a hit every 3-5 minutes or so when i do this, and theyre small hits (usually jusst one mouthful), i like to take it slow and it does seem to last forever this way

Acolyte of Zinglon,
Top Bottom