Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I was thinking about something that Tom had said a few weeks ago. I don't want to try to find the post because I'm too damn lazy, but the gist of it was that he and Pammy had different styles of using the PD. Pammy always pulled the stems after a hit and Tom would leave them in..... something like that.

Well, I had always removed my stems post-hit like Pammy so I decided to try Tom's way and have been experimenting with leaving my stems in the PD between hits. I've noticed that I get way more out of my herb this way and was wondering if it was a figment of my imagination?

Has anyone else made comparisons between Tom and Pammy's techniques?

Stu,

drewper

Stu said:
I was thinking about something that Tom had said a few weeks ago. I don't want to try to find the post because I'm too damn lazy, but the gist of it was that he and Pammy had different styles of using the PD. Pammy always pulled the stems after a hit and Tom would leave them in..... something like that.

Well, I had always removed my stems post-hit like Pammy so I decided to try Tom's way and have been experimenting with leaving my stems in the PD between hits. I've noticed that I get way more out of my herb this way and was wondering if it was a figment of my imagination?

Has anyone else made comparisons between Tom and Pammy's techniques?

I've been leaving the stem in lately for the last two or three hits, and I'll get surprised every so often by a stem that just won't quit. I don't know much about the topic, but I think this helps temperature condition the herb--hold it at a proper temperature to extract all the more goodness.

I'll try it out in about two minutes, I've been thinking about seeing if there's any difference when you simply leave the stem in the whole time. I know it'll be easier because I don't have to spend any time thinking about or looking at the unit in the dark trying to get the stem to drop in the heatport :lol:

drewper,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
It was actually kinda weird for me to consciouly leave the stem in. I had to stop myself from removing it by force of habit. What you said about the stems that won't quit rings true with my experience. I think the hot SS really compliments the hot air to provide more thorough extraction.

:peace:

Stu,

drewper

Stu said:
I had to stop myself from removing it by force of habit.

Yeah I've already botched the first round of testing for this very reason. Guess I'll have to try again...

drewper,

Vitolo

Vaporist
During the time that I owned a couple of PDs I would leave the stem in to get better, warmer hits... a darker shade of ABV.
On the Toasty Top once in a very rare while I will leave the stem in like this also.
I never leave the stem in on the CRZ.

Vitolo,

lwien

drewper said:
I've been leaving the stem in lately for the last two or three hits, and I'll get surprised every so often by a stem that just won't quit.

Great tip. I'll have to try this.

Here's another. When you empty your stem, take another hit through it. You WILL get vapor from the residuals left on the inside of the bowl and the screen even though you can't physically see anything in there.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
lwien, I have it on good authority that you use a mini beaker rather than a straight tube with your vapes. can you describe why you prefer the mini beaker and which one you use? I've been using a SSFG basic straight tube which I like alot. I'm just curious and may want to diversity.... thanks....

jeffp,

lwien

Using the HVY Mini-Beaker which was 55 bucks thru Aqua including a diffused downstem:

I like the beaker a bit better because of two things..........the added volume without the added height and it's more stable. Been using it for almost as long as I've had the PD. People say that a straight tube is easier to clear, but being that the Mini-Beaker is on the small side, this hasn't been an issue for me.

lwien,

photokographer

Do you even have to clean glass after running vapor through it? You'd think residue would be next to nothing

photokographer,
Suprisingly, yes. I find myself cleaning my bubblers weekly. They dont get dirty but rather cloudy and i also seem to collect quite a bit of abv dust but that goes away with a couple rinses.

VaporBoxed,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
lwien said:
Using the HVY Mini-Beaker which was 55 bucks thru Aqua including a diffused downstem:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9828/hvymini55.jpg

I like the beaker a bit better because of two things..........the added volume without the added height and it's more stable. Been using it for almost as long as I've had the PD. People say that a straight tube is easier to clear, but being that the Mini-Beaker is on the small side, this hasn't been an issue for me.

Thank you. It's not presently on on Aqua's site but if I stumble onto one I'll probably order one. I like the small size; it seems very comfortable and ergonomic.
As an aside check this out -
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/pro...all_glass_on_glass/fine_art/glass/pipes/other
It's a 14" cone stem so I imagine an adapter would be necessary for use with the PD, correct? Still very cool looking and inviting.

jeffp,

drewper

Mini beaker ftw! I like the base that way bc it sits nicely in my lap. That's huge.

It's a nice match with the pd bc you can really set a nice even draw when the tube is firing on all cylinders nice and easy...

drewper,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
baurman said:
stickstones said:
My original cherry did this but still worked fine.

Do you still own it and how is it running now? I am just afraid that over time this problem will get worse and maybe it would be smart to invest in a back-up log vape now cause this is all I have to depend on.

That probably would be smart. I don't use my loose one anymore, as I have two others that work fine, but the loose one never saw a performance dip.

I also leave my stems in between hits. I never take it out if I am not done with it. The heat retention makes for more consistent hits this way.

lwien...I will try the empty hit at the end of the stem...thanks! I see you are addicted to the hot water hit. I would love to hear how you think this compares to a PD run through the Hydratube, if you ever get to hit it that way.

stickstones,

lwien

stickstones said:
lwien...I will try the empty hit at the end of the stem...thanks! I see you are addicted to the hot water hit.

To clarify, I only use the mini filled with very warm water for the first two hits from a freshly loaded stem. The remaining hits (3-4) are done natively thru the stem.

lwien,

tombs

SF Giant said:
They packed up shop and quit, leaving all current owners SOL if they ever need warranty repairs

Wow, PD just up and quit this abruptly? (sorry, just super surprised, haven't been on the site in almost two years and used to rock a PD as my daily vape)

tombs,

herpaderp

If I'm now looking to get replacement tubes / screens for my PD.... are those used on the other log vapes the same dimensions? (Yes, the glass thing on etsy looked nice, but damn if I'm spending that much for a tube.)

herpaderp,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Go to AromaZap Stems
Choose the ones for the early Zaps, they will fit the PD perfectly, and work better than your original stems, since tip material is slightly thinner! ;)
(lead free brass tips)

Vitolo,
Alternatively, you could check out Underdog's glass stems. Be sure to choose the 3/8" stems, as these are the ones compatible with the PD. Underdog also sells silicone stems that are more inexpensive, albeit without the beauty/tactile sensation of glass.

It's been reported that UD stems actually improve the performance of the PD by allowing the herb to be vaped more evenly, thanks to a larger screen footprint and much better suction (the glass stem attaches to the heatport with a high-temp silicone sleeve. The screen actually sits above the PD heatport, and allows you to pack more herb into a single bowl than you could with a standard PD stem.

I have a UD glass stem on its way in the mail for use with my PD. I'll be reporting back with a review of how the pairing works after I get a chance to try it.

OKcomputer,

Glairige

OKcomputer said:
Alternatively, you could check out Underdog's glass stems. Be sure to choose the 3/8" stems, as these are the ones compatible with the PD. Underdog also sells silicone stems that are more inexpensive, albeit without the beauty/tactile sensation of glass.

It's been reported that UD stems actually improve the performance of the PD by allowing the herb to be vaped more evenly, thanks to a larger screen footprint and much better suction (the glass stem attaches to the heatport with a high-temp silicone sleeve. The screen actually sits above the PD heatport, and allows you to pack more herb into a single bowl than you could with a standard PD stem.

I have a UD glass stem on its way in the mail for use with my PD. I'll be reporting back with a review of how the pairing works after I get a chance to try it.

It's funny you mention this because I literally JUST came here to post the same thing. I read a while back that people were concerned about replacement stems. Let me just say that since I got my UD, all of my PD stems have been in perma-storage. The first day I got the UD i tried the standard stem on a PD and it was fantastic. Since then I've also received two glass UD 3/8" stems that I ordered for my UD twig. They completely change the way you vape with a PD. To me, it brings completely new life to the vaporizer.

Edit: Just to clarify, the reason I prefer the UD stem to the standard PD stem is that the airflow is much better with the UD stem and the herb tends to be extremely evenly roasted. The downside (of course) is that it's extremely easy to overmedicate, particularly when you are just learning how to use the UD stem.

Glairige,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
If anyone is considering the UD stem route, you can make them yourself for next to nothing. It's just silicone tubing cut to whatever length stem you want and pop in a screen and viola!

Personally I don't care for the esthetics of the silicone, nor do I particularly like the load and unload process using silicone. For this reason alone I much prefer the standard PD stems.

Stu,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Stu said:
Personally I don't care for the esthetics of the silicone, nor do I particularly like the load and unload process using silicone.
I agree about the aesthetics, but what is it about loading and unloading that you don't like?

hazy,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The PD has a set bowl size and it is easy to load using the straw method. I suck until it's full, and wipe away any loose herb sticking out from the SS bowl. Twist of the finger and maybe a tap and she's loaded. When cashed, I just blow into the muslin bag and she's cleared.

The UD doesn't have a fixed bowl size and you must leave room below the "bowl" portion of the silicone to slide over the heatport. So if you load too much using the straw method, you have to kinda "squeeze" the silicone and play with it to let some of the herb fall back out. It's definitely not rocket science by any means, but not as convenient as loading a PD IMO.

Also when dumping a cashed load from a UD stem, you need to be careful not to blow out the screen. This is more likely to happen in a newly inserted screen and with time I would think become less of an issue.

Some people may prefer the UD stlye's customizable bowl size and the tighter airflow of the silicone, but in my own personal experience, I prefer the PD style experience.

:2c:

Stu,

Glairige

I hear that - it's all personal preference. I've been using the UD glass stems with the silicone micro-bowls with the PD recently and I absolutely love it. I'm not nearly as crazy about using only silicon (with the UD or the PD), but when you're using the UD glass stems the silicon is barely an issue.

Glairige,

Vitolo

Vaporist
When I used my 2 PDs until I gave them away... I did try an underdog stem, after getting two of them from you guys!
I found Alan of Toasty Top and HI's version of the UD stem to work much better.
Photoon2012-01-08at07422.jpg

Alan's recreation of the UD style tube
In the end, I always used my older type AromaZap stems on them and they gave the best hits of all of them.
The old type Aromazap vapor tubes are still available at: Zap Stems

Vitolo,
Top Bottom