Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

lwien

zmurder said:
Of course Tom would shut down such discussions but he fortunately bailed.

Now let me ask you a question. While your overall post, in my opinion, was totally acceptable, I have to ask, especially considering all of the things that have been said previously, why did you feel compelled to add what you stated above? What purpose does it serve?

Now to help to out with your initial inquiry, I too have a Cherry PD and yes, it does run warmer than the Myrtle. It's the nature of the wood. If it's running a bit too warm for your taste, what you may want to do is to draw a bit faster to see if that helps.

lwien,

zmurder

lwien said:
zmurder said:
Of course Tom would shut down such discussions but he fortunately bailed.

Now let me ask you a question. While your overall post, in my opinion, was totally acceptable, I have to ask, especially considering all of the things that have been said previously, why did you feel compelled to add what you stated above? What purpose does it serve?

Heh, I guess I was just reveling in the new-found freedom here on the PD thread.

lwien said:
Now to help to out with your initial inquiry, I too have a Cherry PD and yes, it does run warmer than the Myrtle. It's the nature of the wood. If it's running a bit too warm for your taste, what you may want to do is to draw a bit faster to see if that helps.

I knew Cherry would be hotter, which is why I bought it. It is WAY hotter and tastes nasty. Drawing faster doesn't help, I tried.

zmurder,

zmurder

jeffp said:
Have you tried running it through a bong with water?

I'm not much of a vapor-bonger jeffp, but that's a good suggestion, since I've heard vape-bonging generally benefits from a bit higher of a temp. May just reserve this PD for that in particular. I only have a medium-sized inline, but I'll try it on that tonight.

zmurder,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
When I tried the PD (maple), it had a "woody" taste and smell. Is that what you are getting zmurder? Or is it definitely burnt product?

EDIT: Reread. Does it seem like it's lessening with use? The one I had, it was strong at first, but not as strong a week later with maybe 30-50 stems through it. Has everyone here experienced the wood taste and smell of a new PD?

Magic9,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
To tell you the truth I don't even know what an inline is - glass is a recently charted pathway to me - but the bong I have is a straight tube that I use with a mini stem (unfortunately no longer available I guess) and it works amazingly well and is priced very fairly.
this is it -
http://ssfgglass.com/shop/shop/product/show/cid-105/name-12q-straight-tube/category_pathway-11

something this would have to resolve the issue and perhaps would provide a nice comfortable temperature balance as well.

I hardly vape without a bong unless I'm with more than one person and it's too much of a hassle to pass around.

let us know if this helps....

jeffp,

photokographer

Would you say running the pd through a bong and getting big rips changes the high?
I ask because I'm considering adding some glass to my arsenal but combusting bong never appealed to me as it really just kills everything; motivation, energy, the works, and I like the clearer high attained through vaporization

photokographer,

Glairige

photokographer said:
Would you say running the pd through a bong and getting big rips changes the high?
I ask because I'm considering adding some glass to my arsenal but combusting bong never appealed to me as it really just kills everything; motivation, energy, the works, and I like the clearer high attained through vaporization
I love using the PD through glass. I feel like the high is a little mellower and I find myself using slightly more material through glass. At the same time, I might just be enjoying the smoother vapor.

As far as connections, I just cut down a couple of stems and sanded the cut - fits perfectly in 14mm joints. If you have an 18mm joint, i strongly suggest picking up a low profile 18->14 adapter.

Edit: I realized I hadn't said anything about Pammy and Tom. As the owner of 4 PDs, it really disappoints me that the company is gone. I'm definitely disappointed about the loss of warranty support, especially considering the large part of the OP (at least with the edits) devoted to the warranty. That being said, I had a very good experience with Tom and Pammy and I wish them the very best. Pammy in particular was an absolute pleasure to deal with -- given Tom's comments earlier in the thread and lwien's comments, I certainly wish her the best of luck.

At the end of the day, I understand that different people have different experiences. Certainly I've seen acerbic posts by both Tom and others, but I try my best to not let that rule my opinions of people. As far as my personal interactions, I was shown nothing but love by Tom and Pammy so I have nothing but love for them.

Glairige,

zmurder

jeffp said:
and it works amazingly well and is priced very fairly.
this is it -
http://ssfgglass.com/shop/shop/product/show/cid-105/name-12q-straight-tube/category_pathway-11

something this would have to resolve the issue and perhaps would provide a nice comfortable temperature balance as well.

Thanks jeffp, I'd seen the travel tube from SSFG mentioned somewhere, and think I'll pick up one of their nicely-priced tubes one of these days. I'm new to glass too (got a VaporBrothers just months after I really discovered da herb back in '08, so don't have a bong history). My one piece is like a slightly larger, locally-made version of this really nice inline -- http://www.aqualabtechnologies.com/syn-glass-inline-bubbler-rasta-label.html

I just tried my Hot Cherry PD with a short stem (got 2 from T+P with the new Cherry unit) and my inline, and it is a much better experience. Doesn't change the scorching -- indeed since the glass makes my draw a bit slower I may actually be getting a darker bowl, but it is more uniform. Taste-wise, it is much better and very nice. I believe the bad "taste" I'm getting with regular stems is due to smelling the wood scorching a bit down there (since my nose is close to the top of the unit when using stems).

I still prefer using stems most of the time, and just really don't like my new Cherry when used with stems. But my Hot Cherry PD does seem to be a nice glass companion. Thanks.

zmurder,

Glairige

zmurder said:
I still prefer using stems most of the time, and just really don't like my new Cherry when used with stems. But my Hot Cherry PD does seem to be a nice glass companion. Thanks.

that's pretty odd, I have a cherry and I use it interchangably with my fiddleback maple

Glairige,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Glairige said:
photokographer said:
I love using the PD through glass. I feel like the high is a little mellower and I find myself using slightly more material through glass. At the same time, I might just be enjoying the smoother vapor.

As far as connections, I just cut down a couple of stems and sanded the cut - fits perfectly in 14mm joints. If you have an 18mm joint, i strongly suggest picking up a low profile 18->14 adapter.

Edit: I realized I hadn't said anything about Pammy and Tom. As the owner of 4 PDs, it really disappoints me that the company is gone. I'm definitely disappointed about the loss of warranty support, especially considering the large part of the OP (at least with the edits) devoted to the warranty. That being said, I had a very good experience with Tom and Pammy and I wish them the very best. Pammy in particular was an absolute pleasure to deal with -- given Tom's comments earlier in the thread and lwien's comments, I certainly wish her the best of luck.

At the end of the day, I understand that different people have different experiences. Certainly I've seen acerbic posts by both Tom and others, but I try my best to not let that rule my opinions of people. As far as my personal interactions, I was shown nothing but love by Tom and Pammy so I have nothing but love for them.

I find the high is a little heavier with glass but it's still a vape high, not a smoke high. Almost reminds me of the hits I would get with a SSV but of course smoother because of the glass and water. Like vaporizing in general the head is a little trippier and lighter than smoking with no or little couch lock. The bong I have is a standard 14mm joint so the stem fits in perfectly. Some people have posted that they find no need for a mini stem but I think it's more ergonomic and balanced. I have a couple of these short stems so I'm OK as long as I don't lose them.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
zmurder said:
jeffp said:
and it works amazingly well and is priced very fairly.
this is it -

Thanks jeffp, I'd seen the travel tube from SSFG mentioned somewhere, and think I'll pick up one of their nicely-priced tubes one of these days. I'm new to glass too (got a VaporBrothers just months after I really discovered da herb back in '08, so don't have a bong history). My one piece is like a slightly larger, locally-made version of this really nice inline -- http://www.aqualabtechnologies.com/syn-glass-inline-bubbler-rasta-label.html

I just tried my Hot Cherry PD with a short stem (got 2 from T+P with the new Cherry unit) and my inline, and it is a much better experience. Doesn't change the scorching -- indeed since the glass makes my draw a bit slower I may actually be getting a darker bowl, but it is more uniform. Taste-wise, it is much better and very nice. I believe the bad "taste" I'm getting with regular stems is due to smelling the wood scorching a bit down there (since my nose is close to the top of the unit when using stems).

Some bong vaping enthusiasts insist on using warm or hot water instead of cold, and they frown perhaps sternly on putting ice in the bong. Warm water is more soothing than cold and that may even help more. At the end of the day though, your cherry PD is what it is, some units perform a little differently than others, but at least alot of the harshness you're experiencing can be compensated for with glass and water. Forgot to mention and this is important - the electrical outlet that I had my PD plugged into was running perfectly until I lost the electricity on that outlet in my apartment. A few other apartments on my line lost their electricity in the same respective outlet as well. The super checked it out and decided he had to up the juice so it was either from 1 to 1.5 or 1.5 to 2.0 - regardless as soon as he did that my cherry PD started vaping hot also. Plugged it into a different outlet and it was normal again. Maybe check out a different outlet or a different surge protector. Just a thought.

jeffp,

photokographer

Adding water diffusion is something that really sounds awesome; and I think I have a sweet solution (those of you who also know local glass artists like I do can feel free to copy ;) )

I'm planning on going over to a local studio and asking for a sort of steamroller type glass price with water diffusion, much like what clear some makes, but more along the lines of how "the cloud" works, basically a mouthpiece on one side and a 14.4mm gong joint on the other which moves up into a shower head (just like the cloud one) so that you can have the comfort of going through glass but have it custom for the PD, cost less than clearedomes and be able to pass it around with people still having their own stems!

photokographer,

Glairige

jeffp said:
Some bong vaping enthusiasts insist on using warm or hot water instead of cold, and they frown perhaps sternly on putting ice in the bong. Warm water is more soothing than cold and that may even help more.

I've got a fat tube that I use (9mm US Tubes) with ice some of the time. I have to say I really don't like the high as much as with just water or warm water. In general I know people tend to frown on ice and huge pieces. I remember thinking "that's ridiculous, it couldn't make that much of a difference." Well, I was wrong.

My daily driver is a headford inline bubbler with a 18->14 gong adapter to either the SSV or a log. I happen to think it's incredible with any vape.

Glairige,

baurman

stickstones said:
My original cherry did this but still worked fine.

Do you still own it and how is it running now? I am just afraid that over time this problem will get worse and maybe it would be smart to invest in a back-up log vape now cause this is all I have to depend on.

baurman,

max

Out to lunch
zmurder said:
Heh, I guess I was just reveling in the new-found freedom here on the PD thread.
The rules haven't been changed, and Tom is still technically a member. Frustrations and negative personal feelings should be vented elsewhere. Unless you have an interest in the PD (and there are no new ones available), or are politely answering a question, there's no legit reason for posting here. There's been enough discussion about his last post, and we don't need to endlessly rehash. For those who missed the notification, or are new to the forum, this link should be supplied- last post . Future posts should be about the vape, not the builder or why it's no longer available (unless it's a short and purely factual explanation).

max,

zmurder

max said:
zmurder said:
The rules haven't been changed, and Tom is still technically a member. Frustrations and negative personal feelings should be vented elsewhere. Unless you have an interest in the PD (and there are no new ones available), or are politely answering a question, there's no legit reason for posting here. There's been enough discussion about his last post, and we don't need to endlessly rehash. For those who missed the notification, or are new to the forum, this link should be supplied- last post . Future posts should be about the vape, not the builder or why it's no longer available (unless it's a short and purely factual explanation).

Hey, if max says Tom's ignominious exit has been rehashed enough, then I guess it has! I'm done on this thread as there are too many...personalities. Good luck to all PD users!

zmurder,

max

Out to lunch
zmurder said:
Hey, if max says Tom's ignominious exit has been rehashed enough, then I guess it has! I'm done on this thread as there are too many...personalities. Good luck to all PD users!
We don't like the way he left either. Despite any and all issues with members or staff (or the forum rules), Tom had a lot of success due to the exposure he got on this forum. IMO it wasn't fair to leave with no thanks to the forum and the members who made the PD a success, and just point a blaming finger on the way out. OTOH, the success of this vape created quite a ripple in the vaporizer world. At one point people were willing to wait 4 months to get one. You have to give Tom and the PD some credit for stirring up the log vape pot. This particular type of vape is now better in performance and we have options that didn't previously exist. While the Purple-Days Experience (and I mean the entire experience, not just the vape or the thread) maybe didn't end up quite living up to the hype or hope, it did help move this sector of the vape market forward, and fans of this vape style are better off because of it. So let's cut out the bad feelings and speculation and just continue with the thread to help PD owners who want to keep their units functioning and find stems, adapters, etc.

I'm done on this thread as there are too many...personalities.
There are....personalities everywhere you go, including your own. It's unavoidable unless you intend to be a hermit. ;)

max,

Beezleb

It could also be said that FC benefited from the popularity of the PD as well. I remember when it was just a few handful of people at most regularly. The forum has some longevity and things change with time.

It is common to read post where people say they came here for specifically for one vape or another initially and learned of the others. A symbiotic type of relationship the forum has with those who give it life/activity meaning a draw such as vape makers and the like. Early on, much of the activity at FC was in part due to the PD and toms and other industry peoples interactions with forum members.

Many have come and go and this will continue as it is merely the way of things. Before anyone knows it, people will not know who Tom is anymore and only the name of the PD will be readily known and then after awhile they will be held as legendary pieces and a time forgotten by most.

The vaporizer market is different now than a handful of years ago in dramatic positive fashion. The future looks bright for vapes and really when Tom began doing his PD he offered a truly affordable quality vaporizer when their were few at that price point.

RIP
Purple Days

Beezleb,

drewper

Very nicely phrased, Beezleb.

I just enjoyed an espresso and the first pull out of a Black Walnut PD that I've had for about a month and a half. I sent the team behind this great unit a "thank you and good luck" email a few days ago, and I should have taken the time to defend the idea of what they've accomplished through a post in here.

It was pretty shocking and just sad how many people jumped in here to take shots at and put Tom down once he made his exit. Not a whole lot comes from bashing people like that and it basically just screws up the vibe of a thread in my opinion. Maybe he treated you like an asshole because you presented yourself as one.

The guy retired, he's addressing health issues for his family, be nice.

Cheers

drewper,

photokographer

Was hanging out with an out of town friend the other night, so it was a special occasion; pulled out some qwiso I made from just soaking my grinder in ISO and evapping it, already were medicated but decided to push it a little bit :p

Only was able to take one pull out of the stem with the qwiso and it was basically lights out :ko:

:lol:

photokographer,

drewper

photokographer said:
Was hanging out with an out of town friend the other night, so it was a special occasion; pulled out some qwiso I made from just soaking my grinder in ISO and evapping it, already were medicated but decided to push it a little bit :p

Only was able to take one pull out of the stem with the qwiso and it was basically lights out :ko:

:lol:
Reminds me of the first time I cleaned my zephyr. There was a buildup under the lid of probably two grams of honey. I crumbled it with some fresh aromatherapy blend and, wow. The bags I blew looked like they were painted white.

After almost two months of play with the PD, I've slowed my draw speed by about half and use it just about strictly through a mini beaker. It rocks

drewper,

lwien

drewper said:
..... use it just about strictly through a mini beaker. It rocks

Yup. That's how I use mine...............through a mini-beaker with very warm water. Smoooooooth........

Have a friend who has smoked cigs for years and still does. His lungs are shot and he coughs like crazy when using any vaporizer, from a Cano to a PD to anything else, but...........when he hits my PD thru the mini-beaker filled with very warm water....................no coughs.............ever, no matter how big the hit.

lwien,

drewper

lwien said:
no coughs.............ever, no matter how big the hit.

He's lucky to have a friend like you. They say it's never too late, but for those smokers...so much damage.

I might do a similar intervention with my pops of all people. He's used the same marble pipe and flame for at least twenty years. The symptoms he uses his aromatherapy blend include mostly "in place of viagra". It took him a little time and a little thought to put that one together to explain to me. In the times that I have imbibed with him, he becomes very reclusive and kind of shies away from the crowd. I guess one of the biggest things to respect about the good ganj is that it gives you an incredibly powerful look inside yourself. So I think I might start getting the guy to have a puff and go do something active with me, like a bike ride...have some fun while coping/reconciling his "internals" like we all do.

Happy Friday kids

drewper,
Top Bottom