Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
jeffp said:
t00fatt said:
Well worth the wait, what this vape can do with so little bud is just mind blowing!
Right - my dealer hates the purple days!
haha... my dealer thought I had quit when I got mine... went from calling him 4 times a month too just once...

DevoTheStrange,

t00fatt

How long do you guys leave your buzz butter on for? Just put a nice coat on, thinking I'm going to leave it for at least half an hour before wiping off. Would putting a thick coat on and leaving it over night be a bad idea? I love the smell of the buzz butter, going to have to order a big tin soon.

t00fatt,

Frickr

i usually just apply a generous amount and rub it into the wood with my hands:;) but i really dont wipe it off, i leave it on there and it sort of soaks in after a day, not to mention rubbing off on your hands too.

Frickr,

sour

How many applications does the sample of buzzbutter last for? Looking forward to shining mine up

sour,

indigal

Amongst the corn
sour said:
How many applications does the sample of buzzbutter last for? Looking forward to shining mine up
I'll likely have mine for quite some time, and I apply it about 2x week.. :) - It just feels so good & smells so nice. I've prob done mine 5x or more in the three weeks I've had my PD and I may have used 15% of it? I will be getting more when I do need it though.

indigal,

sour

indigal said:
sour said:
I'll likely have mine for quite some time, and I apply it about 2x week.. :) - It just feels so good & smells so nice. I've prob done mine 5x or more in the three weeks I've had my PD and I may have used 15% of it? I will be getting more when I do need it though.
sounds like it comes with plenty to get me started. Alright cool!

sour,

CrazyCracker

:o PD review :o

This thing rocks. Ill give you guys a rundown of how my first day with it went. Let me preface this by saying when I finally got a chance to use this baby I was @ 4500ft

I open up the packaging excitedly, stopping briefly to notice it says "paisley" on the brown paper bag wrapping. This is odd because I ordered an original bottom, and it says original on my invoice...must be a typo I think...nope just a mix up. I'm not tripping though, would rather get this than wait longer for the original bottom.

First impression: The unit is very minimalistic, I can see why the creator doesn't consider it art. The homegrown packaging and inserts give it a ton a character. I felt like I was opening an xmas gift with lots of goodies inside. :D

I plug the unit and start prepping my herb. I play with the tubes impatiently, get all three loaded up and ready to go. After about 15 min I figure ill give it a try, whats the worst that can happen right? I take a long slow draw and to my surprise blow out a huge vapo cloud! Excitement! It actually works! I look down into the tube and see some milky goodness, it entices me to take another draw. The next one is not as large but makes me cough. Its kind of hard to realize how big a hit you are getting. 5 min later Im surprisingly high. I finish the other two tubes and Im blazed.

After this its time to let my stoner friends have whirl at it. Get in the car and plug it in to keep it warm on the ride over.

First friends house: Two other guys there, both have been smoking about a decade or more on a daily basis. At first it doesn't work. I figure its because we are in a cold garage and the unit needs to warm up more. WRONG! The outlet was broken lol, stupid no LED :mad: Once we actually get it warmed up it blows my friends away. They both have used a Cano' and realize this is so much more of an every day user. With three people though it is easy to see that this isnt the best party vape in the world. We spent more time waiting for and talking about the vape than actually using it.

2nd friends house: When I get there I ask if my friend wants to match some bowls in it. He says hes down to try it but relates to me that he is basically outta weed, so I pack it up and let him try. Something hilarious came on adult swim while he was half way through his first draw...."bwaahhhahha/choke choke wheeze gag". Regroup, regain composure, the second pull my friend is in love. I load a couple more tubes and we keep puffing. After a while he realizes how little weed this thing takes to load and he starts loading bowls too. (even though he said he was out :lol: ) Usually when me and this guy sit down for a session we blow through a couple grams easy. I think we vaped maybe 1/2 a gram and called it quits.

He hooks me up with a beer coozie and Im out. Once Im in bed I realize I am totally fucked up. I havnt been that high in a long time. :o I though I was gonna be let down coming off of bongs, but nope!

The next day its time to drive back to sacramento, to do this I have to go over donner pass. Im interested in how elevation changes affect the unit so I pack up the tubes before I leave and plug in the car charger. Theres a rest area at the top of the mountain, about 7000 ft up. Once there I puff through a tube and all I can say from my antecdotal evidence is: Vaping at high altitudes works better. I got 5 large verrrryyyy visible puffs off a tube before calling it quits, I didn't even need the other two tubes. I took a nice stoney walk through the forest, good times :ko:

Back in Sacramento it still works well, but not as well as it did, especially way up at 7500ft. My girlfriend likes it but complains about what she calls a "Cedar" taste. I kinda notice it too, besides the normal vape taste im used to there is some sort of wood like flavor. Maybe it will go away with time?

So if you didn't read though my whole narrative (I don't blame you) here is a list of pros and cons:

Pro:

Efficiency Yes it really is that effective.
Ease of use There is a learning curve, but I think its easier for a newbie to hit this than figure out a bong.
Taste Even with that slight wood flavor I love the taste I'm getting!
Health Its only been a few days but I'm not coughing unless Im vaping. Usually I have a cough throughout the day (I kinda annoys me and I'm sure others while I'm in class). I know this is a general benefit to vaping and not just the Purple Days model, but I'm still stoked about it! :p
HAND WARMER!! I kid you not, once the unit is completely warm it makes a great hand warmer/heating pad.

Con:

Slow Pace This is really apparent if you have 3 or more people. The time it takes to take three draws off a tube, clean the tube out, chop up herb and refill it adds up. It still can get a large group of people stoned, there just might be some awkward waiting around time that isnt there with a pipe/bong/joint/blunt. Time to work on your social skills! This can actually be a good thing when you are by yourself. It helps me be more aware of, and regulate my intake than packing monster bong loads.
Mouth irritation Its slight but its there. I guess its because the air you take in is so warm?
The tubes I dont know why but I was under the impression that these tubes were glass. I really don't like the way this material feels on my lips. I know that I can add on things, and I will...I have also had some little pieces of herb falling into the heating element and stinking things up. Perhaps its just part of learning how finely to chop my herb and how tightly to pack the tube?

Overall this thing is the most impressive method of ingesting pot I have ever had. Haven't felt the need to combust since getting it. It does make we want to get another vape though :brow: Thank you Tom! :peace:

CrazyCracker,

indigal

Amongst the corn
CrazyCracker said:
My girlfriend likes it but complains about what she calls a "Cedar" taste. I kinda notice it too, besides the normal vape taste im used to there is some sort of wood like flavor. Maybe it will go away with time?
Yep- I noticed a very slight taste in mine, gone within days of leaving it on 24/7.

CrazyCracker said:
HAND WARMER!! I kid you not, once the unit is completely warm it makes a great hand warmer/heating pad.
I cuddle with mine :)
Plus it's a hand treatment when you massage in the buzz butter!

CrazyCracker said:
Con:

I have also had some little pieces of herb falling into the heating element and stinking things up. Perhaps its just part of learning how finely to chop my herb and how tightly to pack the tube?
I grind mine fairly fine in my cosmic case, and always enjoy it kinda angled down. I've also developed a habit of removing the stem, turning it upside down and giving just a little wiggle/shake before I set it down, just in case something slipped down there. No worries, as soon as the little bits get shaken out the burnt toast smell goes away!

indigal,

Jedu

Does anyone know of any regulated power supplies that work with our PD's? I think that will solve my heat problems..

Jedu,

t00fatt

indigal said:
CrazyCracker said:
My girlfriend likes it but complains about what she calls a "Cedar" taste. I kinda notice it too, besides the normal vape taste im used to there is some sort of wood like flavor. Maybe it will go away with time?
Yep- I noticed a very slight taste in mine, gone within days of leaving it on 24/7.
On the first day my PD had a slight wood smell, however I could not taste it when vaping. The smell was completely gone after one or two days, now she just has that sweet scent of buzz butter. We have to remember we are getting these units merely days after being turned and bored out exposing fresh wood to the atmosphere, they are not sitting on a shelf for weeks waiting to be sold. I'm actually surprised how little scent the wood actually has, must be a property of cherry or kiln dried wood.

t00fatt,

leozdad

OH MY GOD! Talk about instant heart attack! My SO picked up my cherry PD and out of her mouth came those AWFUL words, "hey this thing is cold". AAAAAHHHHHHH was my first reaction, then after slowing down the breathing, calming down the shakes, i hurriedly checked the plug, no,... pull the plug and plug in the adapter from the one that is working, yep it starts to heat, now try the old plug again, and A MIRACLE, it works! (plug came loose while cleaning earlier...) yep, stoned again :D :buzz: :peace:

leozdad,

t00fatt

Jedu said:
Does anyone know of any regulated power supplies that work with our PD's? I think that will solve my heat problems..
A power supply regulated to supply 12v is what you want. Some transformers are designed to work with a certain load and put out a higher voltage(then the output rating) if not put under said load. But if it says regulated on the packing then it will only put out 12v, radio shack should have some regulated 12v wall worts. I was actually thinking of building a variable power supply to be able to adjust and fine tune the temperature, but I'm so satisfied with the transformer Tom supplies, that I don't even see the point, I don't want to adjust it at all. :peace:

t00fatt,

Jedu

t00fatt said:
Jedu said:
A power supply regulated to supply 12v is what you want. Some transformers are designed to work with a certain load and put out a higher voltage(then the output rating) if not put under said load. But if it says regulated on the packing then it will only put out 12v, radio shack should have some regulated 12v wall worts. I was actually thinking of building a variable power supply to be able to adjust and fine tune the temperature, but I'm so satisfied with the transformer Tom supplies, that I don't even see the point, I don't want to adjust it at all. :peace:
So the one Tom supplies is not regulated?

Jedu,

Qbit

cannabanana
Jedu said:
12v DC, 1000mA (ie 1 amp) or more. Well, you actually need no more than about 650mA, as the PD runs at just over 7 watts, but I don't think it's too easy to find power supplies that specific - 1000mA is standard.

And make sure you get the right size plug. Mine was supplied with detachable plugs of different sizes.

Qbit,

t00fatt

Jedu said:
t00fatt said:
Jedu said:
While I'm not sure I believe the one Tom supplies is regulated. The unregulated transformers I'm talking about, that put out a higher voltage than rated unless put under a specific load are the ones that come with printers, scanners, or other DC devices that use a transformer. The transformer was designed to work with the load of the specific device it was intended to be used for. Most wall warts you buy separately are regulated and will put out the rated voltage under any load, I'm just talking about the ones you can find around your house that came with other devices.

t00fatt,

Jedu

t00fatt said:
Jedu said:
t00fatt said:
While I'm not sure I believe the one Tom supplies is regulated. The unregulated transformers I'm talking about, that put out a higher voltage than rated unless put under a specific load are the ones that come with printers, scanners, or other DC devices that use a transformer. The transformer was designed to work with the load of the specific device it was intended to be used for. Most wall warts you buy separately are regulated and will put out the rated voltage under any load, I'm just talking about the ones you can find around your house that came with other devices.
EDIT: Apparently it is not regulated because the "reguladed" adaptor I just bought from radio shack defiantly lowers the temp to a much better experience. Cheers :peace:

Jedu,

spikyvape

I have a question about the PD.

I have seen the movies on youtube wow really artwork !

Buti noticed the glue wich the bottem is glued, the heater is this seperate from the wood / glue ?

In other words tthis part:

Untitled_2-534x485.png

Is this in a enclosed part, or does the vapor make contact with the wood ?

Pure interest ;)

spikyvape,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Con:

Slow Pace This is really apparent if you have 3 or more people. The time it takes to take three draws off a tube, clean the tube out, chop up herb and refill it adds up. It still can get a large group of people stoned, there just might be some awkward waiting around time that isnt there with a pipe/bong/joint/blunt. Time to work on your social skills! This can actually be a good thing when you are by yourself. It helps me be more aware of, and regulate my intake than packing monster bong loads.
Mouth irritation Its slight but its there. I guess its because the air you take in is so warm?
The tubes I dont know why but I was under the impression that these tubes were glass. I really don't like the way this material feels on my lips. I know that I can add on things, and I will...I have also had some little pieces of herb falling into the heating element and stinking things up. Perhaps its just part of learning how finely to chop my herb and how tightly to pack the tube?
Slow pace... yep, it's a solo vape, no way around it really.

Mouth irritation, I would NEVER hit my PD as originally intended, it's very hot/dry to me. Attach a small length of tubing and it's literally 100x more enjoyable, next to zero irritation. I can not stress how much of a difference this makes, it's amazing, please give it a try. Once you cut out the irritation, your hits will be significantly larger, deeper and longer, IMO giving a much stronger high.

This is how I setup my PD (when I'm not running it through a bong)

2m3miw4.jpg

Don't worry about the tubes, if you look into the science behind the materials you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I personally either inhale out of whip tubing or a bong... either way it's going through the stem + whip before it hits your mouth or the glass, you just have to trust the materials.

Yeah herb does drop down, you often get a burnt smell. Just turn it upside down every now and then (or I do it every session) and give it a few quick spanks. I've probably spanked mine 10,000 times and it's in perfect health, absolutely no rattle still.

Chubba,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
chubba...I see you have an ssv to go along with your pd. I am about to make this move, do you recommend it? I'm looking for big hits to go with the PD.

stickstones,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
I never got to truely experience the SSV. I got the SSV and PD roughly 2.5 weeks apart.

I was smoking 50/50 tobacco/cannabis for over 10 years, I got the SSV and couldn't make the change to vaping (or most probably, straight cannabis).

Then the PD arrived and I still couldn't make the change, tobacco is one hell of a drug.

Then the cops raided my SSV (search warrant, totally missed the PD) and over the course of the next few weeks completely fell in love with the PD and vaping.

So yeah :( never got to truely experience the VG or SSV.

It definitely gave MASSIVE hits though, absolutely lung busting. I can safely assume it would have delivered big time.

Chubba,

Purple-Days

I'll quote my very first post in this thread, "It's meant to run 24/7 and provide pleasure anytime for 1-2 people." Sure, you could share with more, but the intention was for 2 people, like Pammy and I to share. I consistently suggest the SSV for a variable temp alternative and group vape.

Toofat wrote, "Most wall warts you buy separately are regulated" I think this is not correct, maybe I am wrong, but most I have seen are unregulated (North American market). :2c:

The AC to AC power supply we provide is un-regulated. It is a simple induction device. ie. 10 windings on one coil and 100 on the other (or numbers in that proportion) and provides 12 Volts when supplied with 120 Volts (depending on the accuracy of the windings ratio). Higher or lower input voltage will provide higher or lower output voltages in an un-regulated supply. ie. 120V>12V, 115V>11.5V etc. A regulated supply will provide 12V at any input voltage (withing the range of the device) ie. 120V>12V, 115V>12V.

Spikyvape, the Heat Exchanger is held in place mechanically. :) There is a 1" stainless steel sleeve inside the top hole, the top disk of the Heat Exchanger sits on that and is sandwiched in place by a plated spring steel retaining clip. No adhesives in the vapor area.

I only use one type of glue in the construction (it's the only adhesive in the shop). Elmer's Carpenter's Glue. It is labeled with the ACMI-AP seal (Art and Creative Materials Institute Certified), and also labeled "Conforms to ASTM D 4236 Non-Toxic". This glue is used to attach the solid hardwood bottom plug, and used to secure the leather to the bottom.

Heat and irritation: Maybe years of smoking cigs (long ago quit) hardened me to the temps etc. It just isn't as hot as a burning ember, an inch or so from a filtered cig, ever... (not even close). But, some folks are more sensitive and can attach whatever they like to the 1/2" tube end. I tried a 6" length of silicone whip tube, but that experiment lasted about 2-3 draws, and I have never used anything other than direct draw since. Nothing against those that do, but for me it would be an inconvenience. :cool:

Purple-Days,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
leozdad said:
OH MY GOD! Talk about instant heart attack! My SO picked up my cherry PD and out of her mouth came those AWFUL words, "hey this thing is cold". AAAAAHHHHHHH was my first reaction, then after slowing down the breathing, calming down the shakes, i hurriedly checked the plug, no,... pull the plug and plug in the adapter from the one that is working, yep it starts to heat, now try the old plug again, and A MIRACLE, it works! (plug came loose while cleaning earlier...) yep, stoned again :D :buzz: :peace:
I did exactly the same a couple of nights ago. :o Panic attack, until i realised the cats had pulled the lead out of the back. Phew. :lol::ko:

It is awful when you pick it up to find the unit cold though....

Happycamper,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
I got a rattle in mine.. I have no clue what it is but I've tried spanking it out, nothing.. I just decided not to let it bother me but if I could get it out that'd be wonderful... Any ideas on what it is?

aznfknpride,

NoSmoke

aznfknpride said:
I got a rattle in mine.. I have no clue what it is but I've tried spanking it out, nothing.. I just decided not to let it bother me but if I could get it out that'd be wonderful... Any ideas on what it is?
Very simple fix my man! I emailed Tom this problem a couple months ago, here's what you do, take a flat head screwdriver and a hammer, now the ring that sits on top of the heatport just needs to be tightend down, take the screwdriver and the hammer and tap it gently in a circular motion until the metal clamp is tight again, now you should have zero rattle!

NoSmoke,
Top Bottom