Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Purple-Days

Yes, save the vape for the side of the road. Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel... :cool:

The battery on a moped must be sorta small. But if it's 12V you are good to go. Better than a cig lighter outlet, which would be pretty funky, but usefull. Maybe a two prong automotive connector male and female. One for the bike the other replaces the cig light plug on the cord. Lot's neater fot your bike and makes the cord smaller too...

Batteries put out 12.8 when charged and taper as the charge diminishes. And since you won't be riding and vaping the battery is the important part. If I remember right you can push start a moped???In which case you could run the PD till there wasn't enough juice left in the battery to produce sufficient heat, unplug, push start and go for a nice ride. Come back, park... ready to go again. ;)

Problem here is, that a non-deep cycle battery is not made for repeated discharges and you will shorten it's life. :( By how much, depends on lots of factors, how deep you drain it, is one, age of the battery another, quality of the battery etc.

Purple-Days,

catlady

What colour should my herb be after a PD bowl is finished?

Alot of spent herb from other vaporizers is dark brown.... after a couple hits on my PD, I can't see my vapor anymore, but the herb is still green/light brown... am I doing something wrong?

catlady,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
Does anyone have any pictures of duff from the PD, or a link to an already posted picture of?
I saw some abv in a cannabrownie thread and became a bit worried on how far you can vape the herb; I'm not sure if it's a preference to go light or a unavoidable result of the PD.

sneezyjesus,

max

Out to lunch
catlady said:
Alot of spent herb from other vaporizers is dark brown
Most vapes have a temp control, and unless you're using an expensive digital model (for accurate temp readings), you could be using a higher temp than the PD provides with those other models. My PD remains are normally darker than iolite remains, and the iolite uses pretty much the same temp range. Sometimes it depends on the herb you're using. Your starting color could be light green or a much darker shade-almost brownish to start.

Does anyone have any pictures of duff from the PD
There are pics in the thread. Yeah it's a long thread, but I've been through it multiple times. IMO it's worth a read if you're really interested in this vape.

max,

MrMistyTokes

Steam Engine
Awesome point Tom you could definetly bump start a moped on a flat road easily.. click it into gear with a little run.. but take a break at the top of a hill and your laughing mate! :brow:

just test how long it takes to warm up at cruising throttle then just plug it in when your ready to toke next stop and toke it at an idle maybe.. i wouldnt leave it plugged in since you mopedders usually cruise around with a pinned throttle-that would be way to hot for it at 15v in a backpack i think.. probally an extra 30-50 degrees :uhoh:

MrMistyTokes,

Lucic77

Yay!!

I just finished reading the entire thread! :o

That took a while, but I really only have a couple of remaining questions I'll compile for later. Great thread guys, tons of info in here. I feel like I know everyone now, but no one knows me. :lol:

*Edit*

One quick question. I wrestled with which page to post this on, but since it's PD specific I am going to post it here. If I am using a grinder (like a space case, etc.), is there a grinder hole size that will work best with the PD right out of the grinder? I bought a 4pc Medium Space Case Titanium, but now I am thinking the holes will be too big. The only size info I can find says it's 57mm.

Anyway, if anyone here uses a grinder that makes the herb come out "PD ready". I'd love to hear. Thanks.

Lucic77,

xaustinx

I actually only wanted to use the cigarette jack because my moped doesn't run off of a battery. It has an internal coil powered by the crankshaft, hence the voltage output being varied by RPM. The only disadvantage to this is like was stated before, mopeders like to pin the throttle (i like to go as fast as i can since i can only top out at 45) and that would definitely be too hot at full throttle.

I guess the only way to leave it plugged in ready for use is to find the sweet spot, probably around 30-35mph or so and run it plugged in, and then pull over for a toke. Tom, you said its stays in its vapor zone for like 4 minutes or something after it loses power?

Im thinking that it might not get hot enough at idle to warm up to operating temp, no matter how long I leave it idling. I wouldn't want to have to continuously rev my bike for 30 minutes, that wouldnt be practical. I guess I'll just have to try it out when I get mine.

xaustinx,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
max said:
catlady said:
Alot of spent herb from other vaporizers is dark brown
Most vapes have a temp control, and unless you're using an expensive digital model (for accurate temp readings), you could be using a higher temp than the PD provides with those other models. My PD remains are normally darker than iolite remains, and the iolite uses pretty much the same temp range. Sometimes it depends on the herb you're using. Your starting color could be light green or a much darker shade-almost brownish to start.

Does anyone have any pictures of duff from the PD
There are pics in the thread. Yeah it's a long thread, but I've been through it multiple times. IMO it's worth a read if you're really interested in this vape.
ahh ok, i'll set aside some time this weekend :rolleyes:
i've spent so much time on fuckcombustion lately i'm starting to feel bad about it :D

sneezyjesus,

Purple-Days

X, don't know what to tell you, my advice was based on motorcycles with a battery. Is that a magneto???

Not much matter, not what we (bike folks with normal... 12V batteries), were talking about.

Seems an easy adaptation to a standard bike tough. Most anywhere (that has gravity) you can get a free boost for starting a dumb battery) I even used to push start a VW beetle on flat ground, by myself...) , no battery... uggghhh... parking a convenient downhill location. The Rambler (whoot, 1964) only had forward gears, and everybody knows that a backward gear is lower and starts quicker,so it was a
bit of a challenge with no juice. :D Oh it made up for it with dual ashtrays ( the Ramblrt)... Haha.

Did anybody say, 'been there' ??? :cool:

Purple-Days,

rayski

Purple-Days said:
The Rambler (whoot, 1964) only had forward gears, and everybody knows that a backward gear is lower and starts quicker,so it was a
bit of a challenge with no juice. :D Oh it made up for it with dual ashtrays ( the Ramblrt)... Haha.

Did anybody say, 'been there' ??? :cool:
I owned one like this many years ago.
1959_Nash_Metropolitan.jpg

Must have pushed it for miles the short time I owned it.

rayski,

max

Out to lunch
sneezyjesus said:
i've spent so much time on fuckcombustion lately i'm starting to feel bad about it :D
Getting up to speed on something new and different can be a pain, especially wading through a forum, but a forum is often the best way to really find out what's what. I've been learning about e-cigarettes lately for my wife, and e-cigarettes-forum.com has been a lifesaver for narrowing down the models that perform well and would suit her.

As for plowing through this thread, get through the first quarter of it and you'll get the gist. Then just look for pics.;)

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Max, can you save me a few hours and tell me what you decided for your wife regarding e-cigarettes?

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
I'll send you an email tomorrow. I want to reread what's already been posted here, then put in my :2c: here on the forum. I've learned quite a bit and after all, e-cigs are saying fuck combustion too. Reading about all the hardware and modifications almost makes me wish I still had the nicotine habit. :spliff:

max,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
max said:
sneezyjesus said:
Getting up to speed on something new and different can be a pain, especially wading through a forum, but a forum is often the best way to really find out what's what. I've been learning about e-cigarettes lately for my wife, and e-cigarettes-forum.com has been a lifesaver for narrowing down the models that perform well and would suit her.

As for plowing through this thread, get through the first quarter of it and you'll get the gist. Then just look for pics.;)
Oh don't get me wrong max, I live for this stuff; I'm an internet junky in so many more ways than with any mind altering substance I've tried :ko:
Wading through the posts is all part of the fun, but I've spent so much time lurking fc lately I felt I should actually make a profile and ask some questions, maybe give some feedback to any VS users out there.

(By the way, I originally got about 12 pages into this thread before realizing my class had started 2 minutes ago. I'll just set aside some time this weekend and finish the deed then :lol:)

And congrats on the e-cigs; I've heard nothing but good things about those when it comes to people phasing nicotine out, or for people who just dont want the smoke part as well. Hope you find a good one dude!

sneezyjesus,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
:) Love reading this thread...with my morning coffee

Anyhow, I'm still e-cigging... I think today is day 80 without a cig. I've tried a load of devices and have a few now. If you have ?'s about them - feel free to holler!! I feel GREAT! Lungs are good!!

I don't want to combust anything anymore ;)

Now, back to my regularly scheduled reading whilst awaiting my PD :peace:

Lo,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Lucic77 said:
Anyway, if anyone here uses a grinder that makes the herb come out "PD ready". I'd love to hear. Thanks.
Someone on the board (was it Max?) suggested a dedicated cheap coffee "grinder" (actually, uses a blade). I first bought a 4-chamber Chromium Crusher, but found the crushed herb particles too big. I now use a coffee grinder and pulse to a consistency I like. I then pour it into the Chromium Crusher so as to milk off some of the tricomes.

works for me.

macbill,

Melizzard

OK, I've been using my PD for about a month now and I adore it! But I do have a couple of questions for anyone who can help:

How many hits do you usually get off a PD? The first hit, on a fresh bowl, tastes extremely fresh but then quickly starts tasting burnt even though I still have a little vapor. Should I not push it past 2-3 hits? And the duff gets pretty brown, but it also has a tiny bit of green left in it when I blow it out, but it's obviously too small a bowl to stir up. Is this typical?

And one more thing, I keep mine on 24/7 and it always has a slightly burnt smell if I sniff the heat element. Is this normal?

Thanks so much!
Melissa

Melizzard,

josh

It's up to you on how far to push the bowl Mel. The PD doesn't get hot enough to burn so you can go for a light brown or milk it some more and get a darker brown. I usually get 2-3 vapor clouds, then i'll let the stem sit in the PD for another minute or so and milk maybe 1 or 2 more. Now this is with regular brick weed mind you and not the mid or high grade stuff.

I'm not sure what you mean by slightly burnt smell. I have had many a crumb drop down in there and that causes a burnt popcorn smell but once you tap it out it seems to go away after a little while. Other than that it just smells like hot air.

josh,

Lucic77

Thanks macbill.

I keep reading about leaving the PD tube in there to warm up a bit. Do you cover the top of the tube with your finger, or just let it warm up in the PD? I would think the vapor would escape if left uncovered.

Lucic77,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Hey Lucic - I doubt vapor would escape and if it does I think the amount is minimal. Remember you need to inhale in a manner like drawing in a thick milkshake through a straw to start vapor extraction.
I thought about the same thing when I dry material by letting it sit on a PD in a shotglass for a few hours. Then I started vaporizing said bud and started thinking about more abstract things...

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
macbill said:
Someone on the board (was it Max?) suggested a dedicated cheap coffee "grinder" (actually, uses a blade).
Not me. I like a hand grinder. I know Stickstones said he was using a coffee grinder. It's just personal preference.

Melizzard said:
How many hits do you usually get off a PD?
That is soooo tough to answer. First off, how big is a hit? Depends on the person. Also depends on the dryness, consistency, how potent your herb is, etc. A fine grind will help in getting all your herb to the brown state, but high quality, sticky bud sometimes won't take a fine grind, and you can end up leaving lots of trichomes in/on the grinder if you try. I think scissors work well with the high potency bud. Large bits of leaf material (large for the PD anyway) tend to hold the green color, while kief will brown completely and pretty quick. But a full bowl of really fine ground bud will also restrict airflow so that you really have to continue to hit it to get it all vaped. My wife gave me a tube the other night and asked me to see if it was done. It was really packed, since the supply was fine, even powdery, and after sucking on it a bit, I got another half dozen hits. The herb I was using, not nearly as fine ground, only gave me a few hits before it was spent. So a lot of factors go into 'how many hits'. It's just part of the vaporizing (and PD) learning curve.

Lucic77 said:
I keep reading about leaving the PD tube in there to warm up a bit. Do you cover the top of the tube with your finger, or just let it warm up in the PD? I would think the vapor would escape if left uncovered.
Like jeff said, this isn't a concern with the PD. You can leave a tube full sitting in the PD overnight, and the next day the vast majority of the herb will still be available to vape. As for preheating, the tube tip and wall, contacting the heat exchanger, adds some heat through conduction, but it's not really a big deal. It really just gives you a little richer vapor on the first hit or two. And loading a tube and sitting it in the PD before you take a hit makes it more likely you'll lose a little down the hole. Your first hit helps to seal the herb in the tube, so you'll be a lot less likely to have any leakage. I never load a tube and sit the PD down without taking a good hit first for sealing purposes.

max,
Top Bottom