Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Right. It's good as an aroma therapy diffuser and also to brain someone.

jeffp,

Purple-Days

Dave, I think Pammy didn't bang a few of those tips home. I saw that she had changed her technique the other day and pointed it out to her. Not sure why she was doing it that way. :uhoh: So sit the tip on a scrap of wood and give the white end a whack (easy whack). The hole that the tip fits in is depth stopped and the tip should got to the bottom of the hole (the way it was supposed to).

Wood tubes are a bit off into the future. So far I have made one from an old piece of Brazillian Rosewood I have had for many years.

Also made a Figured Maple and an East Indian Rosewood tube for Pammy.

BTW that's a Walnut Billy Bowl and the old durability test unit (cherry).

Getting a variety pack of wood pen blanks someday soon (a few weeks). Plus I have some scrap around here (ebony etc.). Maybe 15-20 wood species, all hardwoods (exotics), They will be a PD aftermarket exclusive. Probably a grab bag sorta thing.

The exotic tubes will include a screen removal dowel (1) and screen ramming dowel (1) for re-seating the screens. Several replacement screens (at least). These tubes will have no clips and are intended for the advanced user. Obviously you can't soak the wood in ISO, the screens will be removed (for cleaning) and replaced by the user.

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

I have made a Macassar (sp?) Ebony PD. Way too dense. Transmits too much heat to the exterior. ie. not a good insulator. Why insulate, to keep the heat stored in the heat exchanger, not drained away. Unfortunately the dense woods seem to be the 'pretty' woods. These dense woods make the temps stay on the low side of the vapor range. Still make vapor but it's lighter in nature. Maybe 365-370 vs. around 380-385 for anormal PD. Just not something you can market to a broad range of users. Pammy loves her Rosewood (East Indian) unit, which of course runs a bit cooler than a standard unit, that's the vapor she likes. The East Indian Rosewood is somewhere in the border weight category, this may have been a 'light' piece.

I'm not sure where you would find Brazillian Rosewood these days. I think it is gone as a rule. Might be wrong... But we quit using exotic woods for PDs for a couple of reasons. Temp is addressed above. Another was environmental. Considering the PD requires about .75 board feet each it's a lot of wood. And big chunks too, 3" slabs.

The new exotic tubes require between 1/18th and 1/32 the amount of wood and can be made from scraps. Pen blanks most likely come from industrial recycling (pre-consumer). Nice to enjoy the unique woods, yet using it frugally. :cool:

Purple-Days,

Qbit

cannabanana
Hey, question to any Australians here with a PD: roughly how many days did it take to ship from P+T to Oz?

Qbit,

Pseudonymous

Nameless
Yeah, Brazilian Rosewood is rare as hell. It's used a lot in classical guitars, but east Indian rosewood is often used as a substitute due to the really high prices and rarity of the Brazilian kind. And ebony looks so nice! Too bad it isn't as practical.

This could be a really bad idea, I don't know, but a lot of bass manufacturers mix woods a lot. How bad would it be to have a layer of ebony (or any fancy looking wood for that matter) over the more practical wood?

Pseudonymous,

Purple-Days

Pseudo, I'm sure doing a veneer on the complex (not exactly parabolic and each different) shape of a PD is way beyond me. :uhoh:

But you bring up an interesting idea. Here are two 'pencil holders' in a familiar shape. ;) Cocobolo and Tea Tree

Cherry insert. It's a neat idea,technichally I think it would work, both from a woodworking view and thermal properties. But an idea I'm not likely to try, as I have no exotic woods in a 12/4 dimension. You would still have the two woods showing at the top, might look good, might not.

Just for reference and fun, to show why the Brazillian is so rare(and expensive) here is a shot with cocobolo, brazillian and east indian lined up. The Brazillian gets an almost black look with time.

Purple-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I believe that Brazilian rosewood is scarce because it's a "protected species." I know that certain electric guitars, like the Tokai Les Paul copy, called the "Love Rock," from the early 1980's, is very collectible because it has a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, and it's very desirable.

jeffp,

Purple-Days

Redwood is a lightweight softwood species. Not suited to making a vape.

Alembic uses cocbolo bodies (or did). Played one once at Midwest Music. Heavy as hell. Too unique a sound for my taste (and way more money than I ever...). Very ringing. A trait of the cocbolo. I struck a 3 x 3 x 24" piece of it with my knuckles, rings like a bell.

Purple-Days,

Rebus Canebus

I know this has been repeated in this thread ad nauseum, however I have Had my PD now for 6 days and I am totally impressed by the efficiency of this vape. When I look at the size of the duff pile after 2 stems I have to giggle. An almost magical buzz to duff ratio. All I can do is shake my head in disbelief! :o
Oh, and she's mighty pretty to look at too.

Rebus Canebus,

lwien

Rebus Canebus said:
All I can do is shake my head in disbelief! :o
I know, huh. I did that for the first few weeks I had it. Everytime I emptied out a stem, I was like.... :o . Then........:lol:

That's the good part. The bad part is, when I take out my Iolite, I feel like I'm just wasting bud.

lwien,

Qbit

cannabanana
Just got my PD! :D:D:D

Wow that was fast delivery - about 4 business days from P+T to me here in Australia. I don't know how the postal services managed that.

The device is heating up as I'm writing, and I can smell the aroma of the cherry wood growing. An aroma that I plan to be get very familiar with very quickly. :cool:

Qbit,

kalinga

Rebus, yeah the efficiency is just unbelievable.

lwien said:
The bad part is, when I take out my Iolite, I feel like I'm just wasting bud.
I know what you mean. I feel the same way when I use my iolite. I like its portability and stealth though.

Qbit said:
The device is heating up as I'm writing,
Qbit, give it a rubdown with buzzbutter when it heats up. Share with us your review.

kalinga,

exdmd

After looking at just about every vaporizer on the market, I ordered a P-D a few weeks ago from VapeNow. The hard part is waiting two months for delivery.

exdmd,

max

Out to lunch
exdmd said:
After looking at just about every vaporizer on the market, I ordered a P-D a few weeks ago from VapeNow. The hard part is waiting two months for delivery.
You'll probably chop a couple of weeks off that wait time these days. If you want to look at/discuss wait times, move over to the PD availability thread in the Lounge. ;)

That 'wasted bud' feeling hits me too, with the iolite on the move, or with the SSV at home. I try to restrict my use there to my lower quality herb supply. The only vape I use that gives me PD like efficiency is the Launch Box, and with that I have to strictly limit the amount I load and be careful to pull the battery back to avoid overheating.

max,

reece

max said:
If you have a PD you should have a cleaning bottle. It comes with the kit. If you don't have a PD you shouldn't need a bottle.
Just saw this. Are you serious? How does this part of your post answer my question. It doesn't, so maybe it wasn't necessary. But since you needed to say it, I'll reply.

Could something have happened to the bottle that came with the kit? Could I possibly want a second bottle? Maybe I think the bottle would be good for my Iolite stems. Maybe I have a Myrtlezap. Maybe I purchased a used PD. Maybe I just like the look of that bottle. Maybe I want to stick it up my...Maybe there are lots of reasons to want a bottle like that. Wow, "if you don't have a PD you shouldn't need a bottle." That's laughable. You don't want to think any farther so I have no need?:lol:

And thanks for the second part of your post. That was helpful.

So, Tom (or anyone else with something constructive to add), how can I get bottles like that?

reece,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
reece said:
max said:
If you have a PD you should have a cleaning bottle. It comes with the kit. If you don't have a PD you shouldn't need a bottle.
Just saw this. Are you serious? How does this part of your post answer my question. It doesn't, so maybe it wasn't necessary. But since you needed to say it, I'll reply.

Could something have happened to the bottle that came with the kit? Could I possibly want a second bottle? Maybe I think the bottle would be good for my Iolite stems. Maybe I have a Myrtlezap. Maybe I purchased a used PD. Maybe I just like the look of that bottle. Maybe I want to stick it up my...Maybe there are lots of reasons to want a bottle like that. Wow, "if you don't have a PD you shouldn't need a bottle." That's laughable. You don't want to think any farther so I have no need?:lol:

And thanks for the second part of your post. That was helpful.

So, Tom (or anyone else with something constructive to add), how can I get bottles like that?
You cannot have a bottle. It is forbidden ;) :whip:

Happycamper,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
max said:
That 'wasted bud' feeling hits me too, with the iolite on the move, or with the SSV at home. I try to restrict my use there to my lower quality herb supply. The only vape I use that gives me PD like efficiency is the Launch Box, and with that I have to strictly limit the amount I load and be careful to pull the battery back to avoid overheating.
that is kind of how I am feeling about my PD... only had it a week.. and I rarely use my other vapes since I have gotten them because of the amount of material the PD uses. The only time i pull out any of my other vapes is if there are more than one person around. Other than that, for sessions that are just me... I've grown too using only my PD. I only use my Extreme for groups and low quality herb.
I do know that I went from 7 grams a week in herb too only using about half that this last week.. that is a huge plus too me... I still have just as many sessions, just using less herb.

oh and thanks tom for the tip on fixing the length of my tubes, the fit inside the purple bottle nicely now.

DevoTheStrange,

sinenomine

Greetings all.

Had my PD a couple months now and I love it dearly. Been training my lungs and I can pretty much cash a bowl in one hit now. :D
Now, today I leave the US to study in Europe, Italy specifically, and I am trying to figure out how to bring my little wooden friend along. I left it in the box with a friend to ship to me, shouldn't be that expensive cause it weighs so little. As for the power supply, I am not sure. Do you guys think a basic power adapter plus my jameco supply would work alright? Or would it be better to buy a seperate European power supply, and, if so, where might I find one? I'm totally clueless about voltage and amps and all that jazz. :( Could some International owners help me out?

sinenomine,
Top Bottom