Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

max

Out to lunch
koggit said:
you mean plug the stem directly into the car's DC power outlet? why would that be better than plugging the PD into the power outlet? i dont get it...
Wouldn't be better at all. It wouldn't work. He means using the cig lighter (for a heat source) with a loaded PD tube, not the lighter socket.

max,

Purple-Days

My very first vapor experience was with a hand pipe, normally used for smoking. It had a small bowl and a glass (flower) screen.

I had grown tired of tossing money away on disposable lighters. Got looking for a 'better' refillable lighter, started reading about torch types. I ordered and while waiting I read about vapor, the lighter arrived and very carefully holding it above a fresh bowl I first tasted vapor. Not very long before I got too close and ruined it, but that first taste of non-combusted vapor spoke volumes to me. Tried it on a few more bowls, Pammy did too, we saw the need for a real vape.

So using the stem (emergency?) may not be so far out. But the stainless tip should not need to touch the heating element and we recommend against it. The conducted heat from an unregulated source such as the lighter element will surely melt the plastic. Bad idea. Use the story above and get a feel for distance, let us know how it works out. Tons of variables in this one. But you have to start somewhere. And maybe an idea or two. ;)

BTW My lighter socket is dead and doesn't have a lighter either. Crap. :uhoh:

Purple-Days,

Mullen

Hello Ive recently purchased a PD over the last few months and it works great! However recently its been randomly losing heat it will go from being hot to hold to cold in just 2 bowls, please if anyone has had this happen to them before and found a solution please post it here

Mullen,

lwien

Mullen said:
Hello Ive recently purchased a PD over the last few months and it works great! However recently its been randomly losing heat it will go from being hot to hold to cold in just 2 bowls, please if anyone has had this happen to them before and found a solution please post it here
Plug it into your car's lighter using the supplied adapter to see if the same thing happens. If it doesn't, it sounds like it could be a faulty AC transformer which can be replaced at Radio Shack or any electronics supply house. If the same thing happens in your car, it could be a loose solder connection inside the PD and I'm sure Tom will take care of it,

lwien,

Purple-Days

Mullen, 99.9 times out of 100 it is a damaged plug or damaged cord.

Lwien is right, the car cord is the best troubleshooter. Make sure the red LED is lit, that indicates you have power at the lighter socket. Plug the PD in and see if it starts to warm up. After about 10 minutes the heater will start to feel a little warm. If this works (and almost always does) then as Lwien said, the trouble is with the power source, not the PD.

Although we have seen a couple of transformers quit (just a couple, and two of those were damaged) the problem is almost always the cord or plug being damaged. RS is an option and Jameco.com is another (part #10081) or we stock the wall adapter too. Doesn't matter where you get it. We supply an AC to AC transformer, but AC to DC is going to be easiest to find if you go shopping. 12V DC @1000mA or higher and using a 2.1mm x 5.5mm (type M) power plug.

Purple-Days,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
I Usually have two options when it comes to making the longevity of the cord last longer than normal.

1. With plug ends like these they can easily bend and over time form 'loose' connections like you are experiencing. Look at the plug on that AC adapter (its much like your PD's as in the plug is straight giving the wire a chance to bend if it hangs off the edge of a table)
The way I make a cord like that last longer is I make sure to keep the PD far up on any surface I place it on. I make sure that the cord stays long and straight so it doesn't bend right near the connection plug.
that will keep it alive longer :tup:

2. Now with plug ends like these its quite nice to not worry about the cord bending. Thanks to the L shaped design of the plug you are allowed freedom over where you place your PD. It is always a good idea to place your ;pd; further up on any surface (unless you want dents in your wood from it falling off the table) to keep it looking newer for longer, but this plug gives you the freedom to do what you want so you dont have to worry about it bending and shorting out the connection of the copper wires.

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

kalinga

Hennessy1414 said:
(unless you wants dents in your wood from it falling off the table) so it keep it looking newer for longer,
I've removed dents and scratches on my pd-cherry using grit 150, 400, and 600. It looks brand new again. Just rub the sandpaper always with the grain. Take care while rubbing on the edges near the leather bottom. I only buff towards the top so the leather's edges won't strip off. After all the buffing, rub it with buzz butter and you have a nice and slick brand new looking PD :D

kalinga,

Purple-Days

Kalinga, my sanding routine is 150 then 220. Then I go to steel wool but sandpaper works. There is 320 and 400 then 600 (and beyond) but those I only use in the shop for sharpening tools. Steel wool doesn't load up with dust like fine grit papers, and is more economical for us, but sandpaper works fine.

One tip on cord life, at least for me in the shop, is a rubber band around the unit, a bit above the jack, then I run the cord under the rubber band with a little loop and plug it in. I'm constantly moving things on the workbench and knocking it over, or even off the high bench. The band takes the shock before the plug does.

Too many times a weight would be on the cord and I move something that moves the unit (unkown) and just when I'm ready to take a break... so the elastic band helps two ways in a rough and tumble environment, longer plug life and fewer accidental unplugs. ;)

Purple-Days,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Finally got off my ass and purchased some 99.7% iso... I thought all my PD stems were working fine, been multiple months.

Oh god, brand new again :D:D:D mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Chubba,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
Hi all, short time lurker, old time vaper. Just bought a PD off Ebay{I couldnt see waiting 2+months} and am really hoping its all that. I can see the benifits of leaving it on and just being able to take a quick couple of tokes. I already have an Extreme{awesome machine, I sell these now I was so impressed}, Vapir mini {not too bad once you break it in}, Vapir one {junk}, vapir classic {portable junk}, a NP 100 { more junk}, and am awaiting the deleivery of 2 iolites and my newly won ti tree purple days. I also still have the original lightbulb from back in the day so I'm definalatly not a newbie.

My question I guess is wil the PD suffice as a primary vape? Are the hits from it satisifying in both taste and quantity? I'm hoping to use the PD as MY principal personal vape, the Extreme when there is others in line, and the Iolite when I'm on the move. How does this sound to all you for a personal lineup? Will it work? I'm basing this whole lineup on 2 vapes that I havent even tried out yet, for all I know they may end up being crap and I end up stuck with the Extreme and the Mini. {not that thats bad, beats smoking}

Any how just wanted to say HI and see what impressions are of the PD. Thank all.

highendvapes,

lwien

highendvapes said:
Just bought a PD off Ebay{I couldnt see waiting 2+months}
Are you aware that your PD has no warranty being that you purchased it from an unauthorized dealer? Did you purchase this as a new unit, or a used unit?

lwien,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
I'm aware, if I have to pay to fix it so be it. but from what Ive been reading it should make it though 3 years NP. there really dosent seem to be too much that can go wrong with one of these.I wouldnt have bought it if I hadnt read all of Toms posts. I kinda think that the electronics should be pretty much indestructable.

highendvapes,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
welcome to the forum, highend!

I have that same lineup and love it. I have two PD's that are my everyday workhorses. For portability I have the Iolite and the Launch Box and they work great for different needs. I have the E for when I need a big hit or have a group setting. I think you'll dig it.

stickstones,

jklasd

ooooo different tubes. anyone tried both and notice any differences? might have to order a set.

jklasd,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
haha I thought the same thing..I was like "ohhhhawwww new tubes!"

masejl12, nice ;pd; brotha :tup: I'm loving the grain on it and those funkee nuggets next to it.

and just to clear the air, a PD is ALWAYS a good investment to make :cool:

Hennessy1414,

Purple-Days

Pammy and I remember that one. Like a sunset, or not... I enjoy wood that looks like wood.

The tubes still have the same dimensions and materials as always. But the shaping, and shape, of the polypropylene has gone through several changes. Someone described the current version as an 'innie' |\/| where the older version was an 'outie' /||\ . Always looking for ways to improve, even if it's just a tiny bit (stay tuned ;) ). This shape seems better suited to tubing and has a better mouth feel.

Purple-Days,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
the old ones were beveled and the new ones are more 'squarely' rounded

got it :tup: all I care is that the stems will still fit in all my 14.5 GONG joints :2c:

Hennessy1414,

max

Out to lunch
highendvapes said:
I'm aware, if I have to pay to fix it so be it. but from what Ive been reading it should make it though 3 years NP. there really dosent seem to be too much that can go wrong with one of these.I wouldnt have bought it if I hadnt read all of Toms posts. I kinda think that the electronics should be pretty much indestructable.
I saw that eBay tea tree you picked up highend. Good deal. Wasn't one of those new units that the seller wanted $250 for. I wouldn't worry about needing the warranty either. Probably the least likely to fail on the market, as far as electric models go.
My question I guess is wil the PD suffice as a primary vape? Are the hits from it satisifying in both taste and quantity? I'm hoping to use the PD as MY principal personal vape, the Extreme when there is others in line, and the Iolite when I'm on the move. How does this sound to all you for a personal lineup? Will it work?
Been working for me for over a year. I use the SSV occasionally, and the iolite or Launch Box as a portable.

max,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
Yeah I'm pretty stoked. Nobody bid on it on Ebay which kinda blew me away. I got the guy to overnight it so it will be here tomorrow, and the Iolites will be here Thursday. Its gonna be a nice week.

highendvapes,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
And the funniest part :lol: I just stumbled upon this site and have never even heard of purple days until last Friday. Thanks to reading all of your post in here, I got Uber intrigued, and now tomorrow it'll be here. I feel bad for everyone thats on the list. I'll have mine 5 days after I've heard of it.

highendvapes,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
...and no warranty :o

Haha not to rub it in bro....but soon shall come the day where I say I told ya so :p

BTW did you read every single page of this thread? if you did...then congrats. Most people just fall face first into page 100-sumthin

Hennessy1414,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
No, I havent read all 137 as of yet, i'm up 2 page 67 now. And everyone is soooooooooo worried about warrenties. I sounds to me like you EXPECT your PD to break. I on the other hand think from the descriptions of the device belive it to be well made and dont think that th warrenty should come into play. Also, with the basic electrionics that are within the unit, IF perhaps the something should break {doubtful} I'm more than capable of rebuilding it myself. Tom sounds to me to be a fantastic guy, and i would hope he would turn me on to his supplier for parts if not sell me the repalcements that I would need directly. The man has engineered what to me sounds to be a great product, simplicity usually is the best design. This will probaly freak you guys out, but I fully intend to take mine apart as soon as I get it to kinda reverse engineer it myself. I'm a carpenter for a living and I rebuild antique motorcyles as a hobby so really Im not intimitaed by a block of wood and some stainless steel. Here is a question for all of you. How many of you have had to send your PD back for warrenty work? Tom, how many units do you think you've produced up till this point? Lets see some numbers before we assume that the warrenty will even come into play. I'm betting that the percentage of actual returns is below 1%. I'll also bet that MOST of the ones that have been returned were due to a failed transformer or led. The one that I bought dosent even have the led circuit so there is one less function that can go wrong. Troubleshoot and rebuild a '37 Harley engine, it will give you a thousandfold times the aggrivation that this simple device could. Rebuilt a '03 Yamaha engine last week. That has TONS of troubleshooting with the computer. I'm NOT SCARED or worried about the warrenty. As long as I can get the parts to rebuild it {TOM?} it is under my own Personal wrrenty. :2c: :peace:

highendvapes,
Top Bottom