Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Chubba

Vaporbonger
No temp control is perfect, wouldn't want it any other way.

I'm from Australia, $20 from Jaycar for a 12v DC power supply... simple.

Chubba,

Qbit

cannabanana
Chubba said:
Well, sure, if you're happy with that, then fine. But being able to make adjustments to the settings of devices I own (not just vapourizers) is something I value. And vapourizing at different temperatures seems to yield different effects due to different mixes of compounds being released. I like being able to have the choice.

Additionally, as I said, I'd be interested in arranging a battery pack for portable use, and voltages can be a bit uneven from batteries.

I'll assume that the reason Tom has set the PD this way is to prevent this device, to which he has gone to such trouble to produce with such high standards of health and safety in mind, from overheating and thus defeating the purpose it was made for. Either that, or he's a fascist. ;)

Qbit,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
Qbit said:
Well, sure, if you're happy with that, then fine. But being able to make adjustments to the settings of devices I own (not just vapourizers) is something I value. And vapourizing at different temperatures seems to yield different effects due to different mixes of compounds being released. I like being able to have the choice.

Additionally, as I said, I'd be interested in arranging a battery pack for portable use, and voltages can be a bit uneven from batteries.

I'll assume that the reason Tom has set the PD this way is to prevent this device, to which he has gone to such trouble to produce with such high standards of health and safety in mind, from overheating and thus defeating the purpose it was made for. Either that, or he's a fascist. ;)
It has previously been stated (I think it's 30 to 40 pages back) that talk of modifying or adjusting the voltage to play with the PD temperature is frowned upon (to put it lightly). There's absolutely no reason to modify that which already works the way it was intended. There's plenty of other vapes that offer variable temperature, I suggest you look at those if you want the option to adjust the temperature.

Skunkypete,

digglover

Qbit said:
Chubba said:

Tom mentions that it should theoretically work here I believe...

http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=17877#p17877

digglover,

Qbit

cannabanana
Skunkypete said:
It has previously been stated (I think it's 30 to 40 pages back) that talk of modifying or adjusting the voltage to play with the PD temperature is frowned upon (to put it lightly). There's absolutely no reason to modify that which already works the way it was intended. There's plenty of other vapes that offer variable temperature, I suggest you look at those if you want the option to adjust the temperature.
Great - another bloody fascist. :D Frown away if it makes you feel any better. You say there is absolutely no reason the modify the temerature? Well, what if I want a temperature lower than intended, so I can just get a nice little head buzz? Or if I'm using a non-mains power source with unreliable voltage.

Another thing is that the temperature of the PD is going to vary according to the surrounding air temperature. Living in Australia can mean for some very hot summer days (40C+) - here in Melbourne we got to about 46C once last year. That's over 20C above standard room temperature, and over 40 degrees above a chilly winter night. So, conceivably, at the top end and bottom end of the possible temperature range, the PD could be 20 degrees out, which would make all the difference to the quality of the vapour.

Now, for the most part, I'd imagine that I would, indeed, use the PD exactly as intended, as most of the time I'd be at home, indoors, at standard room temperature, and only after the conventional kind of buzz. But I'd still like to have the option of modifying the setting if I want or need to.

So thanks, Digglover, for the link to Tom's post. Interesting to note that he says that a car battery can put out a little too much voltage. That combined with a 35C-40C day would make for a rather hot PD. And with the summer doofs (outdoor music festivals) here in Oz, of which I am so fond, very typically held in such conditions, I'd need some gadgets to compensate.

Qbit,

Purple-Days

"he says that a car battery can put out a little too much voltage.", says Qbit.

I did not say that. :/ I said it puts out more than 12V which is the standard for wall power. Higher voltage = higher temps. Lower voltage = lower temps.

:2c: I think you should look around at other vapes better suited to your needs. You want a variable / adjustable temp vape. I'm not familiar with all the vapes, but there must be one suited to you. These forums should be a big help in finding what you are after. Somebody help him out and suggest a variable temp vape. I always say Silver Surfer, but there are lots of others.

Purple-Days,

kalinga

Purple-Days said:
I will show and explain to any who want to stop in for the July 4th, annual Purple-Days Picnic and PD Family Re-Union or any other time... Watch out though, I'll put you to work. tanstafl, ;)
What's in store on the annual PD picnic and family reunion? (Besides putting them to work on the PD workshop :uhoh: )

kalinga,

lwien

Purple-Days said:
I think you should look around at other vapes better suited to your needs.
I agree. The PD isn't for everyone. Why try to make it something that it's not. LOTS of good variable temp vapes out there.

lwien,

Qbit

cannabanana
Purple-Days said:
"he says that a car battery can put out a little too much voltage.", says Qbit.

I did not say that. :/ I said it puts out more than 12V which is the standard for wall power. Higher voltage = higher temps. Lower voltage = lower temps.

:2c: I think you should look around at other vapes better suited to your needs. You want a variable / adjustable temp vape. I'm not familiar with all the vapes, but there must be one suited to you. These forums should be a big help in finding what you are after. Somebody help him out and suggest a variable temp vape. I always say Silver Surfer, but there are lots of others.
Actually I think yours would suit me fine - I'm seriously considering going for one. I have fewer concerns with it than I do with others. And since my little issue with the lack of temperature control is easily circumvented, there's no need to steer me away from your product. :)

Qbit,

jklasd

qbit: tom says on the first page that he will tell people, base on the information given for their wants and needs in a vape, to stay away from the PD if he doesn't feel it suits you. and he has done so many times to others. its not steering you away, by all means, if you want it, im sure he will accept your order. hes simply saying that based on what info you gave, the PD is probably not for you. theres no point telling someone "yes order this, its great, perfect for you" if he doesn't believe its what your looking for. and based on your posts here, ill have to agree with tom on this one. you seem very concerned about temp control and wanting to feeling different effects of marijuana from different temps. and the PD just isn't for that. its set at the temp tom and pam felt would be best for them and many people happen to agree. perhaps tom and myself are wrong in feeling this vape would not be the best choice base on the info we have gathered, and if so, i hope your happy with your PD. if we are right however, i would say check out da buddha(little brother to the silver surfer), which is around the same price as the PD. if you want, you can check out the DIY hakko + ssv heater cover thread for a do-it-yourself vaporizer. both of these would give you solid hits and a decent control on temp(they both would be analog(the DIY vape i mention goes by percent so, TO ME, its more of an analog)).

jklasd,

Qbit

cannabanana
jklasd said:
qbit: tom says on the first page that he will tell people, base on the information given for their wants and needs in a vape, to stay away from the PD if he doesn't feel it suits you. and he has done so many times to others. its not steering you away, by all means, if you want it, im sure he will accept your order. hes simply saying that based on what info you gave, the PD is probably not for you. theres no point telling someone "yes order this, its great, perfect for you" if he doesn't believe its what your looking for. and based on your posts here, ill have to agree with tom on this one. you seem very concerned about temp control and wanting to feeling different effects of marijuana from different temps. and the PD just isn't for that. its set at the temp tom and pam felt would be best for them and many people happen to agree. perhaps tom and myself are wrong in feeling this vape would not be the best choice base on the info we have gathered, and if so, i hope your happy with your PD. if we are right however, i would say check out da buddha(little brother to the silver surfer), which is around the same price as the PD. if you want, you can check out the DIY hakko + ssv heater cover thread for a do-it-yourself vaporizer. both of these would give you solid hits and a decent control on temp(they both would be analog(the DIY vape i mention goes by percent so, TO ME, its more of an analog)).
I'm not asking for a perfect vapourizer. There isn't one, and I know that. As I pointed out in my post above, I'm generally having fewer issues with the PD in my research than I do with other brands. You see, almost everything I have read about the PD impresses me - it's just this one matter, the lack of temperature control, was a niggle I had. But it's not that big of a deal to me.

You see, I like the idea of a 24/7 vape (as I'm quite the grazer). I like the size of the PD. I like the small load size and concentrated air stream. I like the ease of use. I like the stealth factor. I respect the harm minimization philosophy. I love the obvious level of craftsmanship and the dedication to both durability and aesthetics. And of course I hear that it's very efficient.

I've owned a crappy vapourizer before - the materials were suspect and it died eventually (3 years). So I'm really drawn to something that will be rock-solid. So the PD has a lot going for it in my book. And as I said earlier, I would expect to use the thing exactly as directed for the vast majority of the time - but if I want to have control over the input voltage, then that's easily achieved with an inexpensive gadget or two.

Mind you, I may indeed endeavour to do a DIY job of some variety, just because I enjoy making things for myself the way I like them (same goes for food and music). And, hey, I might get a PD as well anyway - can't hurt to have multiple vapes. :)

I'm actually surviving right now using an improvised vaping method, which involves hotknifing the herb on the electric hotplate on the stove. It's inefficient energy-wise, but it works, and the excess heat just helps warm the room, which is fine for the time being, as it's winter here. But I need something proper.

Qbit,

Purple-Days

No work on the 4th Kalinga, just food, fun and fireworks. Even a Door Prize. Maybe a vape, or two or three, plugged in. ;)

Port Orford does fireworks right out over the ocean. :D A pretty long show too. After the fireworks a friend is having a party, with bonfire. :D
Any other day folks are welcome to stop by too. Free Tour, haha. But expect me to be working (and to put you to work too) if it isn't the 4th of July or Christmas Eve/ Morning.

Any and all are welcome. From Interstate 5 go to Bandon then South to Port Orford. Email us for the phone number if you are coming (anytime).

Purple-Days,

vap999

Qbit said:
You see, almost everything I have read about the PD impresses me - it's just this one matter, the lack of temperature control, was a niggle I had.
Although you need to be mindful of any warrantee concerns, I recall prior postings suggesting some relatively innocuous and simple ways to incrementally increase the operating temperature of your PD, without going to higher voltage (switching to a different power supply). Notably, any type of insulation around the PD should decrease heat loss and increase operating temperature, such as sliding the PD into a rubber foam-type soda can insulator/holder or otherwise wrapping insulating something around it or placing it within an insulating holder while not being used. If you want it hotter (and we are probably only talking about at most a 10-20?F increase in internal temperature), you should be able to play around with this and find your own sweet spot.

Caution: Although very accessible and seemingly an obvious thing to do, I presume that it would not be good to cover or otherwise well-insulate the top. This might (theoretically) result in a build-up of heat and the top metal portion abutting the wood becoming too hot and potentially degrading the wood (which happened even without any cover or insulation with pre-PD Eterra models with a similar design).

I can't think of a convenient non-electrical method of reducing the PD's operating temperature, other than say placing the PD in front of a fan or air conditioner.

Using the supplied or equivalent wall adapter power supply, I presume that there are many ways to safely reduce the PD's operating temperature, all based on reducing the supplied voltage (basing this on the presumption that somewhat lower voltage and lower temperature are not problems at all with the PD). Presuming you are using a 12 volt DC supply, short of putting into the circuit a solid state variable voltage control (dimmer), such as models generally under $15 on Ebay (e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-12V-8A-LED-D...rkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50), or similar but less desirable, a rheostat, you can simply splice in (with electrical tape or other proper electrical insulation) a length of wire (add more resistance to the circuit); or purchase or make your own extension with the proper M-size connectors (e.g., from Radio Shack).

Otherwise, as evident from responses so far, increasing the voltage supply to increase the PD's temperature is something best avoided. Does this invalidate the warrantee?

vap999,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Just give it a try Qbit.

The whole process is fool proof, you put the stem in and inhale... you get clouds...you get high... with no chance of combustion.

I've owned a few temp control vapes, Toms observation was spot on, I put all the vapes on the exact same temp every single session.

Chubba,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I was thinking the same thing, chubba...I own one variable temp vape and have used two others, and I still find myself almost always reaching for the vapes with no temp control...the PD, II and LB. Especially when you're fucked up, who wants to be dealing with that shit!

stickstones,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
I've used a battery with the PD and it turned every bowl black.
That's not good :(

IMO you can achieve a higher temp somewhat by overpacking, if you get it nice and tight it still won't reach the point of scorching/combustion but you will get a popcorn flavour and a nice dark brown.

I really want to see a vid/pic of you killing a full PD bowl in 1 graywulf :D The best I can ever manage is 2 and the first one is a cougher :ninja:

Chubba,

Qbit

cannabanana
vap999 said:
Although you need to be mindful of any warrantee concerns, I recall prior postings suggesting some relatively innocuous and simple ways to incrementally increase the operating temperature of your PD, without going to higher voltage (switching to a different power supply). Notably, any type of insulation around the PD should decrease heat loss and increase operating temperature, such as sliding the PD into a rubber foam-type soda can insulator/holder or otherwise wrapping insulating something around it or placing it within an insulating holder while not being used. If you want it hotter (and we are probably only talking about at most a 10-20?F increase in internal temperature), you should be able to play around with this and find your own sweet spot.
Yeah, thanks, Vap. Since I'm in Australia and would have to be using my own power source, I wouldn't be technically covered by the warranty anyway, as stated on the website. Mind you, if I actually managed to do anything dodgy to the device I could probably repair it myself, or with the assistance of a very handy friend of mine. As far as the insulation techniques go, yeah some vague idea along those lines had occurred to me, and it's nice to know that it does work. And after hours of trawling through this thread over the past couple of days (I'm about a third of the way through) I've started running into some of these posts you mentioned.

Caution: Although very accessible and seemingly an obvious thing to do, I presume that it would not be good to cover or otherwise well-insulate the top. This might (theoretically) result in a build-up of heat and the top metal portion abutting the wood becoming too hot and potentially degrading the wood (which happened even without any cover or insulation with pre-PD Eterra models with a similar design).
No, I wouldn't have thought that blocking the main orifice would be a good plan - I prefer the side insulation idea, too.

I can't think of a convenient non-electrical method of reducing the PD's operating temperature, other than say placing the PD in front of a fan or air conditioner.

Using the supplied or equivalent wall adapter power supply, I presume that there are many ways to safely reduce the PD's operating temperature, all based on reducing the supplied voltage (basing this on the presumption that somewhat lower voltage and lower temperature are not problems at all with the PD). Presuming you are using a 12 volt DC supply, short of putting into the circuit a solid state variable voltage control (dimmer), such as models generally under $15 on Ebay (e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-12V-8A-LED-D...rkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50), or similar but less desirable, a rheostat, you can simply splice in (with electrical tape or other proper electrical insulation) a length of wire (add more resistance to the circuit); or purchase or make your own extension with the proper M-size connectors (e.g., from Radio Shack).
Yeah, unless there's something about the ceramic resistors that we don't know, using a voltage dial couldn't possibly be a warranty issue. Yeah it's electrical, but it can't raise the voltage, only lower it. If for some exotic reason the resistors aren't built to run at a lower than max voltage then it could be an issue, but I've never head of any heating elements like this - not that I can claim to know everything about heating elements. I understand that one very good reason for not having a temp control on the unit is for reasons of durability, so an outboard voltage control is the way to go.

Tom? Would you have any issues with this?

Otherwise, as evident from responses so far, increasing the voltage supply to increase the PD's temperature is something best avoided. Does this invalidate the warrantee?
Well, as Tom stated earlier, it does. The insulating trick may well be quite sufficient.

Qbit,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
This is insanity Qbit :D

Get the PD, have a session, then decide if it's worth the extra effort for temperature control.

The goal is to get baked, it will do it's job... my money is on you changing your mind instantly (I know I did).

PS. Aussie temp doesn't affect the unit in the slightest.

Chubba,

Qbit

cannabanana
Chubba said:
This is insanity Qbit :D

Get the PD, have a session, then decide if it's worth the extra effort for temperature control.

The goal is to get baked, it will do it's job... my money is on you changing your mind instantly (I know I did).

PS. Aussie temp doesn't affect the unit in the slightest.
Insanity as in the mad professor sense? Yep, that'd be me. :ko: I'm one of those nutters who, when he finds something interesting, likes to analyze every process and wonder about all the possible uses and variations. I said earlier I might try to construct a design of my own at some point. I'm thinking of a nice, small, battery-powered portable job that will last all day (or most of it).

As for the PD, well it's not about changing my mind now, as the issues I had with it aren't a concern anymore. I'll be ordering it when I get my PayPal account set up properly (should be this week sometime I hope), unless something unexpected happens before then.

BTW Tom (or anyone else who knows) - how long's the wait on international orders these days?

Qbit,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
Forward all questions to Tom&Pam in a private e-mail....your questions will get answered faster

Good decision getting the ;pd;...you wont regret it ;)

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Qbit, check out ANZ visa debit also.

Takes 1 week to setup, get your card and activate... I got my exclusively for vapes, so simple (and safe).

Mine took 2 weeks/2 days (to Australia) from the day I ordered, I was quoted 2 weeks lead time... Tom completed it in just over a week, then 7 days international shipping.

I'll be very interested to read your review :D

For power supply, Jaycar is the best shop in Australia for that type of stuff. I got a 12V DC 1.5A for $19.95, works a treat.

Chubba,

Qbit

cannabanana
Hennessy1414 said:
Forward all questions to Tom&Pam in a private e-mail....your questions will get answered faster

Good decision getting the ;pd;...you wont regret it ;)

:peace:
Np Hennessey, I'll do that.

chubba said:
Qbit, check out ANZ visa debit also.

Takes 1 week to setup, get your card and activate... I got my exclusively for vapes, so simple (and safe).

Mine took 2 weeks/2 days (to Australia) from the day I ordered, I was quoted 2 weeks lead time... Tom completed it in just over a week, then 7 days international shipping.

I'll be very interested to read your review biggrin

For power supply, Jaycar is the best shop in Australia for that type of stuff. I got a 12V DC 1.5A for $19.95, works a treat.
Thanks for the Oz-specific info, Chubba :). I believe there's a monthly fee on the Visa Debit, isn't there? It's just that I wouldn't be using it very much. Anyway, I signed up for a PayPal account a couple of days ago, and it should be active by Mon or Tues, so the ball's already rolling there.

And yeah, I know my local Jaycar. Though the ampage of the transformer you suggested is higher than Tom recommends (he says 1000mA). I don't know how much of a difference this makes.

As for the wait, I hope it's still that short. If not, never mind. A Jedi must learn patience.

Qbit,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
And yeah, I know my local Jaycar. Though the ampage of the transformer you suggested is higher than Tom recommends (he says 1000mA). I don't know how much of a difference this makes.
He did a few posts about this earlier in the thread, something about the resistor limiting the current... so it doesn't matter if it's 1.5A, 2A, 2.5A etc. so long as it's 1A and above (I believe it uses 700ma?). I hope Tom chimes in on this, I don't want my info to blow up someones PD :(

I have a mate with a 2.5A, runs perfect. Same with my 1.5A.

Yep, $6 monthly ($3 student, which I am) for ANZ, works great though.

Chubba,
Top Bottom