Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Chubba said:
I hit my PD hands free, stem standing vertical.

I say 1% of my material falling down would be very generous, I just give it a few spanks every 2nd day.

It's a non-issue for me.
That's some wild stuff. i'm always neurotically afraid to do that - in fact I always nervously tell my friends DON'T rest the tube vertically in between hits. Either take it out and lie the tube down or leave the tube in it but lie the whole thing down on the side. But you're right - I'm sure it's a neglible issue.

I bet you the reason there's no capture screen is because it might result in a very slight amount of heat blockage.

jeffp,

Beezleb

Very Cool Tom, Always great to see an artist at work.

Question, could you use an automatic lathe or does PD require a hands on touch. I really like where you feel the wood. You make it look it so easy. Bravo!

Beezleb,

digglover

Purple-Days said:
Some days you just need to chill at the lathe. :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAPvC5-sMmM
Video of a PD body being made.

BTW if you are listening to the scanner in the background you can make out,'Car fire at the Redwood Bar, with violence..." :lol: there has to be story there. :rolleyes:
Did you say - Their is a lot more work as you can see? Or as you will see?
Is their a chance at future installments???

digglover,

kalinga

Purple-Days said:
Some days you just need to chill at the lathe. :cool:
Thanks for sharing the vid Tom! Is that a fixed speed lathe? Or do you use variable speeds when turning a PD?

:peace:

kalinga,

Purple-Days

I sorta mumbled 'lot's of other work underneath that you don't see' or something like that. Sure maybe a boring installment, :lol: . Those big bits are fun to watch.

Beez, I'm no artist (in this sense), I keep saying that. I make a tool, not art. Pammy is an artist. http://purple-days.com/Pammy_Paints.html.

Thanks for saying I make it look easy. I think that's the best compliment to any craftsman. :cool:

I suppose you could use a duplicating lathe, then every PD would be identical, except for grain. And you would sit and watch a machine run. How boring it would be. There is a certain element of skiil involved, not a lot. But, none required for the automated machine.

I even think some folks would turn a long dowel, say a couple of feet then chop, chop chop and use a router (or shaper table with a 3/8" round over bit) to round over the top of something like this.

I just prefer the feel and the relaxation that the concentration on a task brings. When it all comes together it feels right...

The lathe is variable, 5 speeds I think. I crank it up to 4 I think and just leave it there. Zippity do dah... Variable temp, variable speed, you find the sweet spot and it pretty well stays there. Nearly the same on the drill press, 5 speeds and I use two.

Purple-Days,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Very nice video Tom. I love the look inside construction. Used my Extreme while watching, but maybe later I'll watch it again with the PD. Thanks for the insiders shots you have been giving.

IAmKrazy2,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
damn...the precision in your hand speed is immaculate. Why even bother with a machine...Tom you ARE the machine. :D Such detailed strokes with every turn. Some could call it the art of hand movement and timing, but craftsman sounds good ;)

Looking at my PD and then at that vid was a cool thing to think about. Quite the jump from just a simple hunk of wood to a purple days vaporizer that everyone can enjoy.

:peace:

edit... haha posted this after Iamkrazy said
IAmKrazy2 said:
but maybe later I'll watch it again with the PD
funny co-wink-e-dink

Hennessy1414,

darcey

anyone?? :(

darcey said:
HmmmSadly Im not getting this from my PD :(

It almost seems like my PD isnt getting hot enough and after doing some experimentation Im beginning to wonder if its my power pack. I am using some older 12v 1amp power packs I had kicking around the house and seem to get different results with each one ( no vapour, coming out green to visible vapour but very, very light browning)!

Even when using my good power pack (I get visible vapour when using this one) and have hit the herb 3+ times it still comes out fairly green, compared to my Vriptech setup which browns the herb. I am getting hits from the PD (not huge clouds) but they dont seem as devastating as the VriptechThe high almost seems to be more of a head high like a good sativa but wears off quickly (same herb in the Vriptech hammers you!)

Can power packs die over time and not deliver enough juice? My PD is on all the time so it should be well and truly heated

My technique in case Im doing something wrong

I leave a couple of nuggs out overnight, close to my cabinets exhaust fan, to dry them outIn the morning I hit them with a wooden grinder then spread the ground bud on a magazine to further dry during the day. That evening when Im back from work I hit the bud with some scissors and reduce to a very fine mix I pack a PD tub using the stab method, making sure its not packed to tightly and place into the PD to pre-heat. After about 10 seconds of pre-heat I start a very slow draw, increasing suction after a couple of seconds until I hear a slow whistle.

darcey,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Cool vids, Tom. :tup:

Seeing those few steps really gives a one a greater appreciation of the amount of work that goes into each unit. :bowdown:

Do you always bore the top without using a clamp? :ninja:

@darcey, sorry you didn't get a quick response. Similar questions/issues have been discussed many times in this thread so people tend to skim over it. Really you should be emailing Tom and Pam, they'll take care of you if it's a PD issue.

But you're never going to get the 'devastating' hits from a ~0.025g bowl as you are from a 0.3g+ bowl. If tolerance is a problem the solution is to pack 3 at a time. ;)

vtac,

lwien

And THAT'S what they call old world craftsmanship.

Thanks for the peak into your world, Tom, for it makes ours just a bit nicer.

lwien,

Purple-Days

Thanks guys.

All the boring is hand held, Vtac. Quite a grip builder. The rubber glove helps with slipping but it still requires a firm grasp. The blue non slip pad helps too. Almost impossible to clamp that round tapered (each different) shape without squeezing right into the wood. Just grit your teeth, clench your butt and go for it. By the end of the day, it's a pretty good upper body workout. About 12 boring and tapping ops for each unit. Lots of wood chips (and a little smoke too, exhausted away of course... fuck combustion and it's by-products).

Now it's on to installing power jacks, and those two stainless anchor / heat-sink screws. Then building heat exchanger assemblies and heater harnesses before assembly and testing. But these parts won't make interesting videos, so that's about it for the 'how it's made' segments.

Purple-Days,

josh

There was a comment in the MF thread which got me thinking...it was about soaking the mouthpieces in ISO for minutes versus hours. That got me thinking about the PD tubes which I have been leaving in ISO for about 24 hours and sometimes even longer. Is there a point at which there is no additional benefit to leave it soaking or a point to where the PD tube could be adversely affected by soaking for that long?

josh,

Purple-Days

Josh, #5 PP can be used to store ISO. Soaking a tube seems unlikely to be different.

Not intimately familiar with the MF but I believe they use a very different form of plastic, check with them on the type. Our's is polypropylene #5 PP.

Point of diminishing returns is the key, is it clean enough, then it has soaked long enough, but longer wont hurt it a bit. Agitation helps, soak & shake & soak.

Here is part of the tool set, there are others, needed to build a PD.

Most are pretty common, some get used more than others, but if one of these goes missing . . . well, the search is on. Several custom or specialty jigs and other tools or combinations of tools that aren't even intended for their end use... Sorta, McGuyver with a tool-shop and catalogs. Oh, and an understanding wife. :cool:

These came today

12/4 Kiln Dried Cherry

All right gotta take pics with the new cam. And show off Port Orford.

The ENTIRE vegatable aisle.

The Chips Department.

They do an excellent job of staying stocked but the variety is a little thin. Usually one checkout line running, two if they are crowded. And like the old Flintstones line..., "Madam, we are the ONLY Catererer in town !" We have known of folks being barred from there. Pretty rough when the next grocer (other than a small Circle-K) is 25 miles one way. :rolleyes:

Allright time to find a new host for pics...

Purple-Days,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
Seeing a time lapse of PD's getting the wood burned logo would be neat. That whole table would make for an interesting video.

lwien said:
Thanks for the peak into your world, Tom, for it makes ours just a bit nicer.
...and this quote right here is why I want to see more vids. Might be the daily 'workout' for you Tom, but most of us are in awe
whoa.gif
at the skill it takes to produce our small wooden friend.

peace.gif

Hennessy1414,

kalinga

Purple-Days said:
Now it's on to installing power jacks...etc.. But these parts won't make interesting videos, so that's about it for the 'how it's made' segments.
I politely disagree. The entire assembly process sounds really interesting. Plus what Henny mentioned about the wood burn logo. That would be cool to watch as well. :cool:

kalinga,

Purple-Days

I'll solve that picture problem later...maybe they are bust.I'm aware now that Turbo Image is ???

Thanks, Hennessy. I'll turn you on to the Bob Ross of wood (to me). Roy Underhill. I think he is out of NC, USA. He had something to do with Colonial Williamsburg (before it became a roller coaster sideshow). He is a long time public television contributor and idol (well, I look up, way up to him). Charlie Moore my only Shop Teacher gets creds too.

Check out the Woodwright's Shop aired (used to be) most weekends in most public TV districts. Roy is wonderful, very Zen (I think). A huge influence. I built a foot powered lathe in the late 80s, wooden bed and tailstocks (2, haha no headstock in a pole lathe). Now that takes a bit of skill, or fool-hardiness... pumping one foot in time while standing on the other, using a sharp tool. :lol: Not for me, but a heck of a lot of fun. And an insight into what human powered craft is really like. Made my own crude turning tools too. ;)

I think there is peace that comes from concentration. Doing something well requires concentration. I will do it well, or I will not do it. I am back to that instinct. If something takes a day or two longer, to be done right, then that is the only way, and it takes the time it takes. :cool: :ninja:

Edit: Thanks Hannesey and Kalinga. Oh yeah! Pammy is under pressure now. She has to show her stuff... :D

Purple-Days,

kalinga

Purple-Days said:
I'll solve that picture problem later...maybe they are bust.I'm aware now that Turbo Image is ???

Edit: Thanks Hannesey and Kalinga. Oh yeah! Pammy is under pressure now. She has to show her stuff... :D
Try photobucket for image hosting. Quite reliable. Pammy, please show us your PD making skills. :) Tom, how do you secure the bottom wood for the PD? Is it press fit only or do you apply glue?

kalinga,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
hell even a time lapse PD build would be neat. but like most things.....these sorts of processes can take time.

Hennessy1414,

max

Out to lunch
Purple-Days said:
The shop pic that disappeared the other day showed up again yesterday. We had a problem a while back with that hosting service though.

Thanks for the pics Tom. Now I have a craving for Cheese Doodles. :/

max,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
personally I am totally intrigued by the whole process of making the PD and I think that it is awesome that you are sharing with us Tom. I like too see all the hardwork and love that goes into something as the PD. Also makes me kind of giddy :D in waiting for my PD too come in too knowing how it is made (that and I absolutely love things made out of wood)

DevoTheStrange,

Purple-Days

Lots of berries to pack around here, Lwien. Very nice, blackberries and Marionberries (haha) are abundant. Blueberries are available, but cost. Huckleberries are free but need some looking for. Raspberries come mixed in with the blacks, if you are out picking, but are more rare.

Of course we are a cranberry heaven. It's the big crop here, and so very colorful. Ocean Spray has a harvest depot up the road.

Sorry about the Cheetos-Jones Max, just wanted to show some folks what a non-Wal-Mart world looks like. A small Boy Scout Troop could finish that stack of chips in short order.

The question of glue or friction fit for the bottom plug... both. >
Run on sentance warning ! ... > I try to get a 2" dowel for a 2" hole, but it is wood, getting it too large doesn't work at all, so close to perfect, but not quite, is what I am after.

Where is Waldo?

They are tight as reasonably possible, then glued in with Elmer's Carpenter's Glue. It is the same yellow glue I have relied on for years and years of carpenter's projects. I've tried the modern Gorilla type glues and find them less suitable for my applications.

We also use the glue to put the leather bottoms on and to seal all of the brown paper wrappers on our shipping boxes. We try to eliminate the waste of tape. We have also stopped the use of shrink wrap (originally there to make the PD package shelf ready) Of course we have never used plastic peanuts. If you ever get bubble wrap, it is because we are re-cycling it and expect you to do the same. :cool:

Purple-Days,

kalinga

Tom, thanks for sharing with us the many details involved in the PD making process. How many different sized gouge do you use on the PD when turned on the jet?

Purple-Days said:
and other tools or combinations of tools that aren't even intended for their end use...
I imagine you use the surgical clamps to install the spring clips(or wiring?)

Purple-Days said:
12/4 Kiln Dried Cherry
Those are nice looking blocks. Does your supplier give you any warranties? For example, if you find small visible cracks upon delivery.

kalinga,
Top Bottom