Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Purple-Days

Haven't check my mail this morning, but Sticks is right,get in touch with us, Gak. I'm convinced we got hold of a slab of wind stressed lumber and have had a few like this. We will take care of you, no worries. Wood is funny , Cherry is very stable, but all of a sudden we got a few that did this. That's why I think it is just one slab of wood that is acting up on us.

Got a new camera, gave up on the old one. So here is an interior shot of the new PD Shop. Sorta messy at the moment, putting in the electric.

Purple-Days,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
is the vapolution battery pack the only battery pack that works with the PD? or there other battery packs out there that can also work?

DevoTheStrange,

thepope

Tom, nice workshop.I have an 8x12 also and it gets small quite fast. If you don't mind me asking,what in the hell is that bell for? :lol: I nearly peed my pants laughing...

thepope,

hub

Some initial long-winded thoughts on the PD:

The wait was worth it. You can't get a unit like this anywhere else. For someone with a little bit of OCD, I appreciate the attention to detail on this unit and with everything included. Tom has really taken care of all your needs here. I try to live as green as possible, and I appreciate the simple materials and plain packaging.

I've had the Extreme sitting on my living room table for a while now, along with a large stash box with all the doo-dads needed to keep it in continuous, clean operation. The PD is just dwarfed by the Extreme. With just the PD and the essentials sitting on the table, I have so much more room now! The clutter has been lifted. No more knocking off the vape after someone trips over the long whip.

The simplicity is so wonderful. After several digital vapes, I certainly appreciate one temperature setting. It's a fool-proof unit, something that both novices and long-time vape masters will appreciate. It's hard for me to believe that one unit can fill both of these niches, but it's true. It's like the Ronco Rotisserie infomercials, "Set it, and forget it."

My Extreme responded to any button press on my Logitech speakers remote by increasing the temp 25 degrees and beeping loudly if it was turned off. No longer do I have to perform under table remote acrobatics to adjust my TV volume. I'm in heaven!

When I saw the tiny bowls on the tubes, I thought, "Ohh, I'm going to have to repack a dozen times to feel this." First, not only is this thing ridiculously easy to pack with ground herb or kief (just suck up the desired amount of material like a straw), I've never experience such efficiency.

I've been vaping exclusively for several years now. I've had a Vapir, a Volcano, an Extreme, a VaporGenie, and a custom set up with a Hakko ceramic soldering iron. I've always preferred whips with no forced air. Feels more natural to me. The Purple Days is the perfect execution of that.

The air does come out from the stems a little hotter than what I was expecting. I learned to place my lips differently around the stems. The first hit is always intense, but very smooth. I never felt overwhelmed by the vapor as I do if I've turned up the Extreme or others up too high. The second and third hits are visible as well. When I packed in a little kief from my Space Case Scout with some herb, I got about 8 solid visible hits.

One tiny bowl will knock you on your ass. Two bowls is going to make it difficult to move or function. Three bowls and expect to be comatose. And the amazing thing is, 3 bowls for the PD is less than one small bowl in the Extreme.

My roommate is another daily vaper, and he's afraid of anything past one bowl in the PD. Like Katt Williams, he says, "I got shit to do today!"

I called him today and told him to warm up the PD and have a bowl before his flight this afternoon. "That would be entirely too much fuck it in my system," he said.

Tom has made a wonderful product here. It really must be experienced to be appreciated. There is nothing easier or more efficient or more thought out than the Purple Days. I ordered another for a backup, since I can't imagine using anything else ever again. It's that remarkable.

hub,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Hello,

Prog's friend, Progress here (sorry if that sounds confusing).

Thank you, Tom, for the publication of my short story. However, you did not have my permission, so I am suing you (Just kidding...I am absolutely flattered and love the images surrounding it--Pammy's work?).

It sounds and looks like the shop is coming along nicely. I really like that carved PD in the center (and the others scattered around/lined up on the window in the picture).

I also wanted to share a tip and a little personal experience. We have been polishing a few of the PD's here almost every day and after a couple of weeks they look and feel absolutely magnificent (much thanks to the awesome people at http://www.encausticpaints.com/Default.aspx?tabid=381 with the pharmaceutical grade, (naturally) white, bleach-free beeswax AND the great customer service.

Four pounds of Buzz Butter should last us a bit :lol: (we, however, didn't use any rosemary extract and used 1.2 parts beeswax to flax seed oil).

Toke it easy castle dwellers and suitors (read the last testimonial on the Purple Days site if you are confused (http://www.purple-days.com/Testimonials.html)

Progress,

duh

hub said:

The wait was worth it. You can't get a unit like this anywhere else. For someone with a little bit of OCD, I appreciate the attention to detail on this unit and with everything included. Tom has really taken care of all your needs here. I try to live as green as possible, and I appreciate the simple materials and plain packaging.

I've had the Extreme sitting on my living room table for a while now, along with a large stash box with all the doo-dads needed to keep it in continuous, clean operation. The PD is just dwarfed by the Extreme. With just the PD and the essentials sitting on the table, I have so much more room now! The clutter has been lifted. No more knocking off the vape after someone trips over the long whip.

The simplicity is so wonderful. After several digital vapes, I certainly appreciate one temperature setting. It's a fool-proof unit, something that both novices and long-time vape masters will appreciate. It's hard for me to believe that one unit can fill both of these niches, but it's true. It's like the Ronco Rotisserie infomercials, "Set it, and forget it."

My Extreme responded to any button press on my Logitech speakers remote by increasing the temp 25 degrees and beeping loudly if it was turned off. No longer do I have to perform under table remote acrobatics to adjust my TV volume. I'm in heaven!

When I saw the tiny bowls on the tubes, I thought, "Ohh, I'm going to have to repack a dozen times to feel this." First, not only is this thing ridiculously easy to pack with ground herb or kief (just suck up the desired amount of material like a straw), I've never experience such efficiency.

I've been vaping exclusively for several years now. I've had a Vapir, a Volcano, an Extreme, a VaporGenie, and a custom set up with a Hakko ceramic soldering iron. I've always preferred whips with no forced air. Feels more natural to me. The Purple Days is the perfect execution of that.

The air does come out from the stems a little hotter than what I was expecting. I learned to place my lips differently around the stems. The first hit is always intense, but very smooth. I never felt overwhelmed by the vapor as I do if I've turned up the Extreme or others up too high. The second and third hits are visible as well. When I packed in a little kief from my Space Case Scout with some herb, I got about 8 solid visible hits.

One tiny bowl will knock you on your ass. Two bowls is going to make it difficult to move or function. Three bowls and expect to be comatose. And the amazing thing is, 3 bowls for the PD is less than one small bowl in the Extreme.

My roommate is another daily vaper, and he's afraid of anything past one bowl in the PD. Like Katt Williams, he says, "I got shit to do today!"

I called him today and told him to warm up the PD and have a bowl before his flight this afternoon. "That would be entirely too much fuck it in my system," he said.

Tom has made a wonderful product here. It really must be experienced to be appreciated. There is nothing easier or more efficient or more thought out than the Purple Days. I ordered another for a backup, since I can't imagine using anything else ever again. It's that remarkable.
Wow, what a nice post!

I also went from the Extreme to the PD and now the E is extended loan out to a friend.

You start to realize that those little PD hits were all that was needed all along and that the rest of the vape exprience was more like the Wizard of Oz - all show, little effect. :D

duh,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Great post hub!

I found the exact same thing with my PD, I'm down to 2 - 4 bowls a day MAX to be satisfied... I never have more then 2 in a session, sometimes this can take 30-60 minutes to vape because by the time I'm 3 - 4 hits in I start getting distracted mid bowl and completely forget I still have hits left in the stem.

Sometimes I end up hitting the 2nd bowl 5-6+ times (3 of my hits kills a PD bowl completely) because I just flat out forget where I'm up to.

The less you vape, the less you need to vape.

The air does come out from the stems a little hotter than what I was expecting.
I'm probably the biggest advocate of extra PD tubing (and now PD waterfiltration) on this website, the difference that 1 - 2foot can make is downright amazing, I highly suggest you attach a length of whip tubing (sounds like you got PLENTY) and give it a try.

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose (except a sore throat).

Chubba,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Awesome workshop picture Tom!

I can't wait to lend a hand in person.... or just clean up some sawdust. :lol:

I miss my PD. :(

SpiralArchitect,

Purple-Days

Get on over here Spiral ! Whenever you can manage, of course.

The shop is coming along. Turned on the electric today. Lots of outlets. Need a little more wire for one leg and the overhead lighting. Nice to get rid of the extension cord and power strips.

Yeah, Pope, I know 8 x 12 can get small but properly laid out it can be enough. Plus, some tools like the grinder and chop saw don't need permanent anchorage, so they stow under the bench. With no table saw it's enough.

Still need trim and painting etc, but getting there.

I've had that bell for many years, cast bronze, came with a 300 year warranty (I am not kidding). Has two small seashells cast into the surface. Pretty fine casting ! Anyway it's inside because it's so windy here, it would be clanging all the time... Now it only clangs when I hit my forehead on it. :lol:

Welcome to the family, Apex and Hub and all the others. Glad you are enjoying. :)

Progress, didn't we ask? Thought sure she did. If you like we will leave it, Good tale.

Curious, we use a 5:4 ratio the other way more oil than wax. Makes it softer and easier to spread. Good find on the wax, bleached is so un-natural, ruined. Our's comes from a chem-free apiary. The Rosemary extract is an anti-oxidant. Used by soap makers to hinder any problems. Not required, just a shelf life thing. The Bee's wax probably has it's own anti microbial influence, making the extract un-needed. And rubbing them makes a shine we can't get, that rubbed handrail look. Even #0000 steel wool doesn't get it that way.

Purple-Days,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I also was wondering what battery packs work for the PD and about how much life they will buy you. Thanks

IAmKrazy2,

kalinga

hub said:
Thanks for the review. I enjoyed reading it. Same here, 2 to 3 hits for me and that's it. Can't take more.

kalinga,

Searching420

Very nice pics of the shop, Tom. Cool workspace. I'm not too far down on the list so you should be gettin to mine soon.
Waiting patiently, although I either need to get a mop or stop droolingggggg :D

Searching420,

lwien

:D Funny. Tom, the first thing that came to mind when I saw your workshop was Kaczynski's cabin/workshop. ;)

lwien,

graywulf

Ah, I appreciate no LED. I was a little confused because the directions in the package mention a power LED.

I love mine so far. I brought it to a group session and everyone was fairly impressed.

graywulf,

digglover

graywulf said:
Ah, I appreciate no LED. I was a little confused because the directions in the package mention a power LED.

I love mine so far. I brought it to a group session and everyone was fairly impressed.
That's how people tend to react with my PD - They like it but aren't blown away.

I think that once you live with it, you realize how fantastic the piece is. It just does the job. And for that it is my favorite - no temps, no heatup time, perfect hits everytime. It absolutely blows me away that's for sure.

digglover,

Purple-Days

Graywulf, there is an LED in the car adapter. The unit itself has no LED.

kalinga, the lathe is over to the right, out of the pic. The i-pod may be playing anything, Buddy Rich to Ozzy, Vince Gauraldi to Frank Zappa, Vivaldi to It's A Beautiful Day. No Country, No Rap, no non-musical 'music'.

Although I own a Skil belt sander and a Milwaukee orbital 1/4 sheet sander, I don't use them on the PD. After turning and shaping they get a quick sanding while spinning on the lathe, a piece of sandpaper in hand (and vacuum running) just to make sure any tool marks are removed. Final sanding is all done by hand after the leather goes on and is trimmed. Getting the leather / wood joint right is a hand operation. And finish sanding is a directional thing, with the grain, so orbital isn't acceptable (to me).

SA is traveling, maybe he can build his own, to take back home when he gets here. :)

"Kaczynski's cabin" ? Don't remember thermal pane windows or a door with blinds between the glass. But it's been a while... We may be the only two who know who we are talking about. ;) Gonna find my hooded sweatshirt.

On battery packs... 12 volts ... we draw 7.2 Watts... you can do the math and search from there. It's a 2.1x 5.5mm plug, Type M.

Purple-Days,

Madcap Laughed

i was wondering why you didnt decide to put a screen on the heat port? seems to be a good idea to have one; so stuff doesnt fall all the way into the unit!

Madcap Laughed,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Purple-Days said:
On battery packs... 12 volts ... we draw 7.2 Watts... you can do the math and search from there. It's a 2.1x 5.5mm plug, Type M.
wicked.. thanks. My friend custom makes battery packs, think I am going to have one made.

DevoTheStrange,

max

Out to lunch
Your shop pic is missing in action Tom. That turboimagehost site has been found to be unreliable, at least here.

hub said:
My Extreme responded to any button press on my Logitech speakers remote by increasing the temp 25 degrees and beeping loudly if it was turned off
:lol: That reminds me of a problem I had some years ago with a VCR remote activating my fancy, remote controlled clock radio. :rolleyes:

max,

darcey

Chubba said:
Great post hub!

I found the exact same thing with my PD, I'm down to 2 - 4 bowls a day MAX to be satisfied... I never have more then 2 in a session, sometimes this can take 30-60 minutes to vape because by the time I'm 3 - 4 hits in I start getting distracted mid bowl and completely forget I still have hits left in the stem.

Sometimes I end up hitting the 2nd bowl 5-6+ times (3 of my hits kills a PD bowl completely) because I just flat out forget where I'm up to.

The less you vape, the less you need to vape.

The air does come out from the stems a little hotter than what I was expecting.
I'm probably the biggest advocate of extra PD tubing (and now PD waterfiltration) on this website, the difference that 1 - 2foot can make is downright amazing, I highly suggest you attach a length of whip tubing (sounds like you got PLENTY) and give it a try.

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose (except a sore throat).
HmmmSadly Im not getting this from my PD :(

It almost seems like my PD isnt getting hot enough and after doing some experimentation Im beginning to wonder if its my power pack. I am using some older 12v 1amp power packs I had kicking around the house and seem to get different results with each one ( no vapour, coming out green to visible vapour but very, very light browning)!

Even when using my good power pack (I get visible vapour when using this one) and have hit the herb 3+ times it still comes out fairly green, compared to my Vriptech setup which browns the herb. I am getting hits from the PD (not huge clouds) but they dont seem as devastating as the VriptechThe high almost seems to be more of a head high like a good sativa but wears off quickly (same herb in the Vriptech hammers you!)

Can power packs die over time and not deliver enough juice? My PD is on all the time so it should be well and truly heated

My technique in case Im doing something wrong

I leave a couple of nuggs out overnight, close to my cabinets exhaust fan, to dry them outIn the morning I hit them with a wooden grinder then spread the ground bud on a magazine to further dry during the day. That evening when Im back from work I hit the bud with some scissors and reduce to a very fine mix I pack a PD tub using the stab method, making sure its not packed to tightly and place into the PD to pre-heat. After about 10 seconds of pre-heat I start a very slow draw, increasing suction after a couple of seconds until I hear a slow whistle.

darcey,

lwien

Madcap Laughed said:
i was wondering why you didnt decide to put a screen on the heat port? seems to be a good idea to have one; so stuff doesnt fall all the way into the unit!
Not needed really. I never have anything fall into the unit because on my first hit, I hold the PD at about a 45 degree angle, kinda like I'm drinking a coke. After the first hit, the bud sticks to the sides of the bowl, so it doesn't fall out, but even so, I always take hits with the PD straight out at 90 degrees. Don't even have to think about it. No bud falls thru.

lwien,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
I hit my PD hands free, stem standing vertical.

I say 1% of my material falling down would be very generous, I just give it a few spanks every 2nd day.

It's a non-issue for me.

Chubba,
Top Bottom