PUFFiT portable

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I wanted to see if the taste was really gone or if I had just gotten used to it from heavy use over the last month. I took a week off of using the puffit and today I fired it up again. The taste is definitely there and while it isn't "coating the mouth" bad as some others have noted, it certainly was not pleasant. 2 weeks ago on vacation I was using it without the taste bothering me at all.

While I'll admit that I have had a blast using this unit in places like concerts, movie theaters, and disneyland, the taste is bad enough that I think you either have to use it a lot or not at all. I will probably not abandon it altogether but I don't think I will be using it regularly anymore. A real shame too as I was getting really good with it. I even had some nice clouds at the 6-7 temp range today.

I do wonder if a cleaning video will be posted and if anything will be done to make us early supporters happier. I gave these guys $140 2 months before it was even released.
Worst comes to worst, can't you replace the silicone tubing and call it a day?

Quetzalcoatl,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Worst comes to worst, can't you replace the silicone tubing and call it a day?

I don't think it comes from the silicone tubing for the vapor path. I think it comes from the area around the bowl that gets hot. When you heat it up you can hear the device crackling, like bacon in a frying pan. I believe it is the residue left over from machining or improper curing of the silicone around the top of the bowl. The taste reminds me of pool chemicals.

I posted on their Facebook to ask what they plan on doing for the units that don't were improperly cured. I can't use mine right now. It just taste terrible. I will keep doing burn ins with camomile and mint tea.

I don't want to sound so negative about the product. I hope they can fix this issue. I was looking forward to seeing how well I could make this thing preform.

BoxofRock

as in dumb as
Anyone returned the unit or sold it yet?
I would like to see the puffit work out. I can see where I could use this at the dinner table in front of my mom and dad. They are in their late 80s and voted for mmj med laws but it another to sit across from a flamin blunt or glass bubblers. Exaggeration of course but just the same its real low key and a much needed nitch

I am hanging on to it with hopes of a fix

edit: I am just dry firing the kettle and noticed that the silicone ring is more translucent when cool. Hot and up to temp it turns a more milky color. New it was a very milky white, not clear at all. Maybe when it stays clear when hot it may be odor free? Nothing to lose but time and would welcome suggestions

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
I like mine and it has it's place. when i need stealth it works just fine. it will never be my daily driver, nor was it ever intended to.

mmenzie,

VisiblyVaped

I have trouble vaping out of something with a nauseating plastic taste that worries me...

Hopefully by early next week they respond to emails

VisiblyVaped,

bigtvapes

I know I'm new here so sorry for the lengthy post, just skip it if you don't care about just one more opinion on this thing. I wanted to share my thoughts and feelings on it.

I saw this device on a friends facebook page and it was basically a must-buy from the moment I saw it. The price, the stealth, the design, the touted features. It was a no-brainer. Now as far as the device delivering on these "touted features", I feel the most fair way to put it is that this device is somewhat inconsistent from a manufacturing standpoint. Everyone's having different experiences with it. Of course some of the reports are extremes and exaggerations, but I think it's fairly safe to say at this point that some of the Puffits are amazing and work perfectly for their owners while others don't. It's not a bad design or a poorly manufactured product, but it is inconsistent in the end for sure.

Anyway here's my take on the big issues:

1) I have never gotten highly visible vapor mists on exhalation. Maybe some light vapor mist once or twice. But I mean once or twice. I'm inexperienced to say the least when it comes to vapes. I've experimented with heat and draw speed, etc. So I don't know if it's user error or what, but I feel like there's air coming in from too many places for this device to produce visible vapors. The vapors are there though, even if you don't see them. Trust me :-)

2) I get that silicone taste almost immediately and it hasn't faded yet. And I cleaned it out a little bit by wiping around the heating chamber with a q-tip and wiping down the mouthpiece. HOWEVER, one should note I've had it for 6 days so the jury should still be out on this issue. Perhaps after more usage and a few more proper cleanings, it'll resolve itself.

3) My cap has never once even remotely been an issue. It took some getting used to in order to activate the Puffit properly (and stealthily) with the in-cap stirring device, but once I got used to it it's fine. It has NEVER came off on me by accident or anything like that. The in-cap stirrer is a very nice touch. So simple, so cheap, and so convenient. And hey, if you disagree, you never have to use it! That's the best part it's completely optional.

4) NEVER have I heard crackling or sizzling. If I did, I would discontinue usage immediately and try to get a replacement via warranty. It's NOT supposed to do that. The silicone taste is from silicone being heated up I assume. It might raise BPA levels or something and increase cancer risk, but I highly doubt that. Besides, everything in moderation!

Now again, if you had a different experience than me I don't think you're lying. If anything I believe you 100%. I think this device is inconsistent. In the end mine heats up fast and does it's job: produce vapors on the stealth. That's what this device was designed for. If you're out and about you can keep this thing in your pocket, activate it, take a few puffs and no one will be bothered with it. That's the beauty in this device and THATS WHAT YOU SHOULD BUY IT FOR. And no other reason. Its my first portable vape, and it's a bit of a letdown in the sense hat I'm not getting those satisfying visible vapors. As far as stealth goes though, this thing is as advertised. If you want those crazy huge vapormist hits, buy yourself something else (I bought a da buddah and am LOVING it as well). This has its purpose and it's very reasonably priced for the functionality in my personal opinion.

mmenzie

i agree with bigt for the most part. i do hear the "sizzle" but its very quiet. i have to hold my ear right next to the bowl as i am activating it for the FIRST time in a session. i only hear it the first time and after that, not at all. other than that.... i agree with you. good post man

mmenzie,

bigtvapes

Hey thanks for the welcome!

Like I said I think the different stories we're hearing is a testament to how inconsistent this device is. I never heard crackling but I believe you 100% that you did. That's probably the biggest drawback with this thing after reading this entire thread. You really don't know what you're going to get.

In the end, I'm happy with my device just not ecstatic or anything. It is what it is. And that's fine. I wanted a super stealthy vape that works and I got one now.

bigtvapes,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
No "sizzle" on mine.. I would have threw it out the window if I had heard it "sizzle" :lmao: I agree also... I wanted a super stealthy vape that works and I got one now.

Still hope we dont all die in 5 years from using the Puttit..:horse:

bigtvapes

The cancer risk that is commonly associated with heated plastic and other materials used for packaging is caused by elevated BPA levels. Frequent and chronic exposure to elevated BPA levels isn't healthy, but it's around us in everything we do. Any kind of drink and food stored in cans or plastic present similar risk of elevated BPA levels. We take these risks every day. You just gotta live your life.

I don't know that this unit produces elevated BPA levels or not, but I would think that with moderation there wouldn't be much to worry about either way.

I have had a Puffit for a couple of weeks. My daily driver for quite some time has been a Vapir No2. I get consistent thick clouds and had a routine going were I increased the temp from 378 to 385 to 400 degrees for a pretty pleasant experience. I saw the Puffit and said this could fill my need for a more stealthy alternative to the Vapir. I could do this outside!

I was excited to get mine. It did not come with the stirrer mounted in the cap but a separate stirrer/damper that looked like it was made from a paper clip. I looked askance at it at first but it proved to be the perfect tool. Too bad Iv'e lost it, then found it about 5 times. Attempts to make one out of a paper clip have taught me "I wish I had not lost that again". It is currently lost.

My Puffit made a sizzling noise when I first charged it. This lead me to believe that the sound was related to the battery being charged. The sound was made when charging off the A/C to USB converter block supplied. The unit has never made a sound when charging from a USB port on a computer where it currently lives.

Buoyed by visions of clouds (or at least visible vapor) as witnessed it Dogman's video I packed my Puffit tightly and was disappointed. I mean real disappointed.

First off it tasted bad. Real bad. Robot fart would be charitable. Hot robot fart through a snorkel would be more accurate. Worse I could not produce any vapor at all. I tried fast pull, slow pull. Tight pack , loose pack. High temp/Low temp. Every grind from the equivalent of cigarette tobacco to ground to powder. Nothing I did seemed to produce any kind of visible vapor. I was definitely in the "It tastes real bad and I get no visible vapor but now that you mention I seem to be vaked" club. Vaked or not, it didn't work for me. For better or worse visible vapor on exhale is part of my desired experience.

I abandoned my Puffit. I got a new portable vaporizer that produces thick vapors at two temperature levels (it has three). I like it a lot but that's another story.

The one thing I noticed was it produced more odor when warming up - a slight roasting herb aroma that I didn't get with the Puffit. Even cranked to it's highest temperature the Puffit did not generate that aroma. Isn't aroma a kind of vapor?

And like that it came to me - the Puffit was not generating enough heat! Armed with this thought I loaded the Puffit with product (that could have been fed to Precious I might add), tamped it tight and then warmed it up, let it sit through the green cycle, warmed it up again. Smelled the top of the unit and there was a faint herb aroma. Took a long slow hit and was rewarded by wispy vapor - I mean you could see it but it was nothing to write home about. Repeated again - warmed it up, let it sit through the green cycle, warmed it up again, took a long slow hit - wispy vapor. I am thinking wispy is better than none.

I clicked it on again and was holding it in my mouth thinking I could have fed Precious kind of idly puffing and realized my mouth was full of vapor! Exhaled a big cloud without inhaling it. The vapor had accumulated in my mouth. Cycled it again and puffed ever so slightly using my throat not my lungs. Huge cloud. Finished ten more hits with visible vapor on exhale.

If you are inhaling like a pipe, cigarette or bong this will not produce visible vapor. You will feel the effects but be frustated at the lack of visible feedback.

The robot butt taste is not as noticeable but it is still there. I also feel my unit is not generating enough heat. I wish I had access to an infrared thermometer a I could ascertain this.

I know that is the price one pays for being an early adopter. I just hope newer units have these problems addressed.

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
so is there ANYONE without the robot fart taste? or just early adopters? the pricepoint and anti-donkey dick factor makes me want this vape, even with the "other" portable on the way to my house ordered. this looks like a sweet backup or loaner vape.

Xchadb,

bigtvapes

so is there ANYONE without the robot fart taste? or just early adopters? the pricepoint and anti-donkey dick factor makes me want this vape, even with the "other" portable on the way to my house ordered. this looks like a sweet backup or loaner vape.

The silicone fades for most owners after awhile. I just got mine on Monday and I still have that taste so I don't know if it's an "Early adoption" issue.

bigtvapes,

Ontariovapes

Mine never had any bad taste nor did it ever sizzle. In fact I have not been able to find one thing wrong with it unless you classify "no visible vapor" as being wrong. Personally I don't find this necessary as long as it gets you where you need to be. I do believe everyone who has complaints though. I can't believe that there s such inconsistency in the manufacturing process. I hope the manufacturer can/will address this in a post. For myself, I couldn't be appear with it. For those others I feel really bad.

Ontariovapes,
Reactions: Elvis

dudeeitsbrian

Mine never had any bad taste nor did it ever sizzle. In fact I have not been able to find one thing wrong with it unless you classify "no visible vapor" as being wrong. Personally I don't find this necessary as long as it gets you where you need to be. I do believe everyone who has complaints though. I can't believe that there s such inconsistency in the manufacturing process. I hope the manufacturer can/will address this in a post. For myself, I couldn't be appear with it. For those others I feel really bad.
looks like the manufacturer posted here last night and completely ignored all the comments about the disgusting taste, enough reason for me to never buy this device :)

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
getting my MMC to carry these soon :) so ill prob be able to pick one up for about 100 bucks, and will be able to see\smell it before i buy it, will prob have no doubts and pick it up asap if i dont smell anything

Xchadb,

Vapor Junkie

looks like the manufacturer posted here last night and completely ignored all the comments about the disgusting taste, enough reason for me to never buy this device :)

Par for the course from this manufacturer. They have shown absolutely zero desire to help out customers who are unable to keep using the device due to the taste. They just show up once a week or so and post about things we don't care about, and ignoring all the cries for help.

I would have already bought a Puffit if not for all this. Currently I wouldn't even consider it unless the manufacturer fixes this issue AND takes care of customers who already wasted their money on a product too disgusting to use.

Vapor Junkie,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
If you read there FB page they are doing the blue one in a limited addition. No love here and as you all said no answers as to the horrible taste. This would have been my perfect vape but for now I will save my money for something else.

Dreamerr,

mmenzie

i just posted this to both of their FB pages:

I have tried very hard to support you guys but it is very difficult to do when you ignore the people in the FC board that has purchased one including me. you visit the board once in a great while and post something but never address the people posting issues about inconsistencies with your manufacturing. there is still a HUGE issue with the taste when using the product, along with other issues. the people who bought one feel abandoned, and the people who did NOT buy one are saying they wont because of your lack of support in forums. you are losing out on sales and i for one can no longer stick up for you, nor can i recommend your device to anyone. it's very sad... you have a great concept here, but inconsistencies in the manufacturing and your lack of support to the community are ruining it for you.

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
if someone came in and clarified that an early batch had some bad taste issues, and if it was sorted out and was assured i was being sold a late model with the bugs fixed, i would gladly buy one right away. the worry drives me, and a ton of other away.

Xchadb,

bigtvapes

It's understandable. Portable vapes can be hit or miss though. If you want stone cold reliability, I'd have prolly saved up a few extra bones and gone with the PAX.

But the PAX is considerably more expensive than the PuffIT. Actually, twice as much money. Ive never seen a sub-$150 vape that works this well. Dead honest. But the plasticy taste is still a bit present to me, I just don't notice it as much. If you use mine right now, you'll mostly taste whatever blend you packed it with.

bigtvapes,

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
did watch one video review with some small clouds, he said the taste was "fantastic" as well so just makes me wonder :\ just hope my mmc gets these soon! :)

Xchadb,
Top Bottom