Please help an absolute newbie decide on first dry herb vape?

Rangestormer

I'm totally new to vaporizing, and want to get away from combustion. I saw the pen vaporizers and got excited because they looked like the thing for me, but my research here showed that they do not really work for dry herbs due to combustion, unreliability, etc.

I am a light user, looking to use it once-twice in the evening, mostly alone. Portability is a plus, but since I am going to use it 90% or more of the time at home, quality is most important. So I need something easy to use, clean and maintain that could also work with less herbs, since I am alone and a lightweight. Zero experience with vaporizers and I have to order them online, so no way of testing and deciding on my own.

I do not have a set budget, I just need it to be less expensive than a Volcano, which is my maximum, if need be, but I prefer to save some money on my first purchase.

Is the Volcano still the best? Does the LSV compare if not used with water? I have spent a lot of time reading on vapes in the past days and I am totally frustrated.

Rangestormer,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I'm totally new to vaporizing, and want to get away from combustion. I saw the pen vaporizers and got excited because they looked like the thing for me, but my research here showed that they do not really work for dry herbs due to combustion, unreliability, etc.

I am a light user, looking to use it once-twice in the evening, mostly alone. Portability is a plus, but since I am going to use it 90% or more of the time at home, quality is most important. So I need something easy to use, clean and maintain that could also work with less herbs, since I am alone and a lightweight. Zero experience with vaporizers and I have to order them online, so no way of testing and deciding on my own.

I do not have a set budget, I just need it to be less expensive than a Volcano, which is my maximum, if need be, but I prefer to save some money on my first purchase.

Is the Volcano still the best? Does the LSV compare if not used with water? I have spent a lot of time reading on vapes in the past days and I am totally frustrated.

You don't need to spend nearly as much as the cost of a Volcano. There are several candidates that would meet your requirements. In order of cost at vapefiend.co.uk (since you're in Europe ) I recommend: the Indica, the Arizer Solo, and the Haze. There are others but these are the ones I've used so I know they work well. The cheapest is the Flowermate V5.0S, which is quite popular but I haven't tried it.

All of the above are portables. If you want to give up portability, the Herbalaire and the Arizer EQ are both versatile excellent devices.

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Are log style vapes usable in Europe? If so, that's what I would suggest. Easy to use, clean, and conserve herb. Welcome to the forum! :wave: Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Madcap79,
Reactions: Magic9

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I would heavily consider the Lotus. The only downside, and it is minor, is its learning curve. But the curve is not that bad. Everyone I have taught has picked it up right away and loved it. What it does have going for it in your situation is that it is portable, lighter powered, efficient and can be used on demand...meaning you don't have to commit to a ten minute session to enjoy your herbs. And when you get your technique down the performance is fantastic. You can use it with water pieces, and if you don't like it your are only out about $120.

stickstones,

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate

First, welcome to the club! Combustion is overrated anyways.

From my experience and information I've gathered, I'd say the FireFly may be perfect for the following reasons:

- Light user, FireFly bowl only holds about .15 packed up. And wow you can get lifted off that .15. Though I find that 2 bowls is really optimal, 3 if I want to get really really faded.

- Portability is a plus, but quality is most important. Out of the 3 vaporizers I own, and assorted other ones I've tried, the FireFly has the best taste I've ever experienced. I've seen some say that the flavor is comparable to a Volcano, and while i've never used a Volcano, it really is the best tasting vaporizer I've ever used. And, its portable. So its best of both worlds for you it seems.

- Easy to clean and maintain, also right up the FireFly's alley. You have the bowl on the body, which doesn't get terribly dirty as long as you kick it out after each use/brush it off. The lid has grooves in it, which is the vapor path, so that will accumulate some resins and flakes, and the stainless steel body the lid rests on also may get a little residue, but you seriously just need to brush it off after every session or two. And then maybe once every few weeks, take a Q-Tip or a cloth and wipe it down with Iso. Super easy. Tbh, the area that got the most dirty for me was the hole on the body where it meets the lids vapor path....had a few flakes stuck up in there. Nothing the picker it comes with couldn't remove.

You say you want to use it alone, and that is really what I use mine for, as a personal vape. For one, it will work better if you figure out your preferred technique, so its a pain explaining to people. At least the people I hang out with. You said one or two bowls, the FireFly battery lasts me usually about 4 bowls on average, then I need to charge it....it only takes 45 minutes to charge though, this hasn't really been an issue with me, so I'm gonna assume for yourself it probably wouldn't be an issue either :)

That's my .02 , but unfortunately (or fortunately if you look at it the right way) everyone has different needs/wants/desires/preferences when it comes to vaporizing. What's best for me, might not be best for you, and even then what's best for us may not be best for a MMJ with Parkinson's or something.

I do believe though based on your criteria, that the FireFly would be perfect.

If that's out of your price range, Log Style vaporizers are efficient, easy to maintain, and require little to no maintenance. Plus easily attachable to water pipes. Won't be portable, and usually they take a moment to heat up (30-40 min for best results imo), you can keep it plugged in all day with minimal downtime (I found I would occasionally have to wait a minute or two between bowls if I was using it heavy).

Hope this helps!

HellsWindStaff,

Rangestormer

Thanks a lot of taking the time to put in so much information, guys! It seems I've got the portable ones covered with those suggestions.
But I am wondering if I do not plan to take the vape around with me, should I go with a plug-in vape for home? Are they better for me and as a whole than a portable? What are the great ones?
Pakalolo already recommended Herbalaire and the Arizer EQ. I've already read a lot about the EQ, seems a solid choice for me even though I have seen some negative reviews here and there when compared to Volcano. The Life Saber Vaporizer looks really cool.

Rangestormer,

OF

Since nobody's mentioned Solo, let me suggest that then? HUGE following on that thread (always a good sign.....). Very simple and easy to use (big plus for newbies), easy to keep clean, on the short list for 'best tasting vape' (all glass vapor path), good portability/battery life and as the name implies optimized for a 'solo user'.

Solid design, refined a couple times over many years, LOTS of very happy owners who have more than one.

$160 shipped from several solid Forum supporters (PIU and PV being recommended).

OF

Ifeejulah Vapor

I just bought my second solo a month after buying my first...cant reccomend it enough...your 100% gunna get a nice session everytime. Woooooo love it....

Its very portable, but stealthy not so much. But I put the Solo way above the Pax when it comes to quality IMO

Oh and ease of use 9/10 (id say 10 but theres gotta be room for improvement!)

stickstones

Vapor concierge
But I am wondering if I do not plan to take the vape around with me, should I go with a plug-in vape for home?

As a general rule, you will get more bang for your buck using a plug in, with butane vapes being an exception. Given you are a lightweight, I wouldn't think that would be as important.

Ifeejulah Vapor

But I am wondering if I do not plan to take the vape around with me, should I go with a plug-in vape for home?

I have the EQ and the Solo and i find myself reaching for the Solo even when im home. Desktop quality in a soda can size. I would deff reccomend the EQ as well...with the DDave mod (Female to female 18mm adapter instead of the stock EQ bowl.

Enhances performance by alot!

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Solo - Perfect for someone new to vaping...it's a tank and the learning curve is about nill to get started and you can get one from around $130. Check with PUFFITUP.COM via email or phone call.

The Solo can also be used when plugged in like a non-portable although that can degrade the battery a bit. It's so good many folk have bought another as a backup after receiving their first one. The second one is bought not because of any quality control/manufacturing issues but because the thought of being without it is too horrible to allow :rockon:

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
As always, I suggest newbies get a log. Then you could decide if you need/want something different. A log vape is a great place to start for many reasons. I think most people here have a log in their collection.

You could always get a log, and an LSV for less than a Volcano.

Edit* There is a DBV in the classifieds from the UK. Similiar to the LSV.

Magic9,
Reactions: killick

potatofarmerpluto

I am also looking for my first vaporizer. Do you guys really suggest something like the Arizer Solo over the SSV or the Extreme Q?

Like OP, I care more about quality over portability. I would have thought a plug in desktop would out perform something like the Solo

As always, I suggest newbies get a log. Then you could decide if you need/want something different. A log vape is a great place to start for many reasons. I think most people here have a log in their collection.

You could always get a log, and an LSV for less than a Volcano.

Edit* There is a DBV in the classifieds from the UK. Similiar to the LSV.
When you say log, do you mean something like the e-nano or the underdog? Why are they better when the heat time is so long?

Last edited by a moderator:
potatofarmerpluto,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
When you say log, do you mean something like the e-nano or the underdog? Why are they better when the heat time is so long?

Yes. An underdog or e-nano.

Why are they better when the heat time is so long?

Not sure what you mean by "better".

I leave my UD on 24/7 so there is zero heat up time. I think UDs have an average cold-to-ready time of 15-30 mins. Not sure about the nano, but I think it's supposed to be a little quicker.

potatofarmerpluto

I dunno if leaving it on all the time is a good idea for me. Is that safe? Like OP, I typically imbibe about twice a week or so. Are there glass parts inside? The wood make that much of a difference?

potatofarmerpluto,
Reactions: Magic9

Ifeejulah Vapor

I am also looking for my first vaporizer. Do you guys really suggest something like the Arizer Solo over the SSV or the Extreme Q?

Like OP, I care more about quality over portability. I would have thought a plug in desktop would out perform something like the Solo

Solo better if you plan on vaping alone most of the time

EQ if your gunna be with all your homies getting high

SSV i never tried but i hear great things. its a whip so its ideal for personal use although you could pass a whip around(i dont like sharing a whip with more than one friend)

EQ is awesome if you want bags and whip but by going with the solo you wont lose vapor quality.

This is ofcourse all my opinion!

If i had a couple hunnits to blow right now...i would have trouble choosing between the Arizer Air and the E nano!

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
I dunno if leaving it on all the time is a good idea for me. Is that safe? Like OP, I typically imbibe about twice a week or so. Are there glass parts inside? The wood make that much of a difference?

My UD has been on 24/7 for over a year. Before that, I had a CRZ (discontinued) that was on for about 2yrs straight (traded). I have zero worry about the safety of it.

The wood gets warm to the touch, but not hot enough to do any damage.

Check out some other posts I've made about logs and newbies.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/help-choosing-my-first-desktop.15187/#post-643104

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/help-me-chose-between-these-models.13105/#post-557525

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-first-vape-100-used.11348/#post-483927

Edit* Short answer, a log is extremely efficient, very easy to use/maintain/clean, durable, and they hold their value. The only downside I can think of, is that they are not great at being "party" vapes.

killick

But I like it!
I second @Magic9 . I'm just back from a holiday trip where my portable Inhalater INH05 was my daily driver. By daily I mean every 2 to 4 hours, depending on how the day goes. Got home last night and plugged in the Heat Island log vape. Now I'm catching up on things, loading wee small bits of herb into the glass roasting tube, and having a pull or two and savouring each one. Then onto a diff strain and same again, enjoying the subtleties and nuances of each variety. (can you tell I'm using it right this minute? :)

I was a bit wierd about leaving it plugged in when I first got it, but now I only unplug it when we leave overnight. I've read of some people putting timers on, so it's hot during waking hours, which sounds like a workable solution for me, too. It never gets hot - it's a nice comfortable warm on the hands. And you can put a potpourri cup on it when you aren't medicating and everything will smell like something nice and purdy.

Edit - I only found out about log vapes after getting the INH05, when someone said it was basically a log vape with temp settings. After a bit of research, and some prodding from a fellow member, I snagged the HI and, learning via youtube, got the hang of it quickly. I'm very happy with it.

Edit 2 - I picked it up from a great FC user in the Classifieds forum. There is a year-ish waiting list for HIs, and when my name comes up this one will find another lucky owner courtesy of the FC classifieds.

Last edited:

Rangestormer

So I am definitely putting Solo at the top of my list. EQ is also an option, as Arizer seems to be well represented in Europe, so I can get fast delivery and save on taxes. Their price is also quite competitive. Though the SSV is not that much more expensive and I found it on a couple UK sites.

I checked the logs, they are really nice, but I will have to skip on them due to the heating time. Although I live alone, the family visits often, even when I am not there. So leaving it plugged-it 24/7 would be a hassle, because I can't leave it out in the open.

Another probably stupid question, but could not find an answer myself - does any vaporizer produce cooler vapor than the rest or do I need a bubbler to achieve that? I've always hated the heat from smoking, so if I could enjoy vapor with lower temperature than that from smoking, this would be GREAT. My research shows that if I am to add a bubbler, the LSV should be the choice.

hoptimum

The HI has virtually no heat up time to speak of, just to correct that misconception. I can't speak to the UD or Enano. As far as heat, I don't really have much of a problem with that as much as extremely dry vapor from, say, the Volcano. But I prefer lower temps for the most part, so I don't crank up the heat much. Having said that, I like to alternate between whip/direct draw and a bubbler. I'm just not sure how much the bubbler actually cools the vapor down, though. And there might be a subtle tradeoff in flavor to consider

OF

Another probably stupid question, but could not find an answer myself - does any vaporizer produce cooler vapor than the rest or do I need a bubbler to achieve that? I've always hated the heat from smoking, so if I could enjoy vapor with lower temperature than that from smoking, this would be GREAT. My research shows that if I am to add a bubbler, the LSV should be the choice.

Not really. Since the temperature determines the vapor content, vapes with similar temperatures give similar vapor. A plus on vapes like Solo (as opposed to stem vapes) is this is adjustable (some like to cool it down for more flavor and different 'stone' profile, others want to crank it up and get it all right now. Much different than blazing.

If it interests you, by all means look into the Solo thread. Lots of us use one or more low cost and popular bubblers. This one is currently very popular:
http://www.dhgate.com/product/d020-...ator-smoking/187214099.html#s1-0-1|2094118334

This one, a personal favorite, is also popular and known locally as 'the infamous bubbler':
http://www.pipesdaddy.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VP-0022

Both being imports they should be easy enough to get there, and the price is right.

This is a popular stem to mate the Solo to the 'Glass on Glass' (GonG) connector on the bubbler, you want the 18mm size for both the above. You can also get a 'hot rod' version, with extra air channels cut to reduce the draw resistance. Some swear by this, some of us tried and went back to stock configuration.

PV is an excellent outfit too, BTW, if you can't find them in the EU, it's not unreasonable to order from them I think.

Regards,

OF

Top Bottom