Phattpiggies Wood Shed

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
It's vital the hole in the hot end of a VC stem is no bigger than 8mm, if it is then you get this type of thing happening.
A one piece stem is scrap when this happens, I can make a new Blackwood HE if one of them is loose but the time taken is lost forever.

Today I picked up the stuff from the machine shop and this first one means no more worries on the fit.
EC1muHu.jpg

These little Ti top hats will be fitted to stems in the future. This one is extra thin for testing
y1XwLTZ.jpg

The loose fitting stem, now resurrected, turned out like this, Figured Walnut.
wT7aPt1.jpg

The machine shop will also be giving me prices for a couple of other ideas I've been looking in to.

Macassar Ebony with Ti hot end. This one will be checked to see how the wood deforms now it's been abused.
7v0SBK0.jpg

A big relief getting these parts and a bit of imagination will be needed to hold them in the lathe but today's been a good start into getting things right.

szai

It's vital the hole in the hot end of a VC stem is no bigger than 8mm, if it is then you get this type of thing happening.
A one piece stem is scrap when this happens, I can make a new Blackwood HE if one of them is loose but the time taken is lost forever.

Today I picked up the stuff from the machine shop and this first one means no more worries on the fit.
EC1muHu.jpg

These little Ti top hats will be fitted to stems in the future. This one is extra thin for testing
y1XwLTZ.jpg

The loose fitting stem, now resurrected, turned out like this, Figured Walnut.
wT7aPt1.jpg

The machine shop will also be giving me prices for a couple of other ideas I've been looking in to.

Macassar Ebony with Ti hot end. This one will be checked to see how the wood deforms now it's been abused.
7v0SBK0.jpg

A big relief getting these parts and a bit of imagination will be needed to hold them in the lathe but today's been a good start into getting things right.

Is that like extra fins for more heat soaking? OMG I need one now!

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
The last week over here has gone from this
To this
JFPFgp1.jpg

Nothing got done while the weather was bad, the temps have been up, down and all around over the last week.
I can't turn in such big fluctuations, 28C/82f when I've got the burner going but at night it was dropping to -2C/28f.

Thankfully Hermes got a package thru to me and the weather is back to normal.

Blackwood with red Kirinite and aluminium accents.
1GNdemD.jpg

Which got squared
J2Ud0hi.jpg

Trying to work out a VC pipe poses a challenge when it comes to cleaning so I tried out an idea.
This is a far from a finished article but it has shown me that it is possible and I will keep refining the design.
2n65LGC.jpg

Neo ring magnets and X rings keep it together and sealed.
xH7yjLx.jpg

cpk

Brother of the Leaf
That looks nice. I am a pipe smoker. Take a look at a style of pipe called a Poker. It has a flat bottom and can stay in an upright position when sat down. Your flat stem would work great with this.

Last edited:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Had a look at the pipes you mention @cpk, also looked at opium and Japanese tobacco pipes amongst others.

@nickdanger hope I'm not adding any to your dilemma in which way to go this time.
More than happy to do a segmented burr wood for you, I'm just not willing to do any more one piece burr squares after @M0J0's Thuya cracked on him.

Great day today, had a parcel arrive from China which I'm looking forward to showing you all when I get done.

Did a little Bocote Omni Twist which started life like this
H0bjW9W.jpg

Then got taped up and marked out
3LEZh5x.jpg

A quick wipe over with a bit of Iso to clear the dust off gives you a rough idea of what it'll look like when waxed.
vnCJWSx.jpg

Also roughed out this acrylic blank, it's going to look great with Blackwood ends

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
@phattpiggie the only thing adding to my dilemma is the issue that they are all so nice, I want one of everything! But I shouldn't be greedy... I understand totally about the burl - not a problem. It's beautiful in small segments with the blackwood like the inlaid one you made for me the last run. The contrast is gorgeous! That Bocote body is beautiful too. Really nice movement.

Top Bottom