Phattpiggies Wood Shed

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I've contacted a few folk and if I've missed anyone then get in touch.
It's a bit of a mind fry working with you individually hence the same PM to you all.

I'm over on the list by 25% so please hang in there. I was at my normal comfortable limit before the end of the first week and should have closed it then but it was only fair to keep it open for a little longer so people could catch up.

Vongs were always going to be a slower seller than stems but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Still got these four available. The wood changes shape slightly which leaves a raised edge from the metal accents so everything gets a final sand and wax before it goes out.
0VOXLjO.jpg

Got a really nice Bocote case done for a longer stem, the normal gun metal ends only allowed for a full length of 180mm and the stem came in at 185mm.
Panga Panga ends with recesses got over that problem.
1aYsnTS.jpg

The short piece and ends got sent out with the idea of weighting and attaching a magnet to one end as a matching stand. It may get a small container put inside and used as a stash yet.
3E93Ffg.jpg

Some great features in these pieces, a couple of faces going on which is always great.
I'll happily do more of these and can make them in a range of lengths.
It would mean ordering a bunch of them to make it worthwhile as the shipping from the US is expensive.
Only got these ones because @Ed's TnT was sending over a care package and he shipped these kits as well.

I'm not a fan of glass as I'm way too clumsy and dirty glass is a real turn off for me.
Doesn't mean I won't use it as I know a lot of people have a lot of love for it.
Especially if it's this Cobalt blue stuff.
AfYCjTe.jpg

I'm going to use this one until I break it, got some great ideas for colours with this design if the interest is there.
IrxUwko.jpg

The glass is 1.5mm thick so it's pretty good, the follow on idea will make it a lot harder to break.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
These are stunning pieces! I look forward to seeing everything you come up with, but it sure makes it hard to decide what I want you to make for me next. That glass is killer! I think I could handle something like this, as I'm pretty easy on glass. The OG glass piece that I bought way back when this all started is still in my rotation.

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
It would mean ordering a bunch of them to make it worthwhile as the shipping from the US is expensive.
Only got these ones because @Ed's TnT was sending over a care package and he shipped these kits as well.

If you need more holla at me and I will do my part to make it happen my man! Beautiful work on the glass stems, thats so bad ass, keep it up?

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@Squiby You've no idea how frustrating it is not being able to get every idea out there, especially when one idea gets put back to pursue another.

@nickdanger I'm enjoying the glass and at 1.5mm wall thickness it's not that fragile. A short drop on to a laminate worktop went fine.
It's top heavy even with 0.5mm wall SS, the balance point with the M tip is about 2mm into the glass stem.
This doesn't concern me but I can see a lighter version being better. Inroads are being made into this.

@P.A.M. Since I started up glass has always been on my mind and cobalt blue glass is by far my favourite.
I was having a discussion with a customer about an idea and I was unsure if it was going to be possible.

The tube arrived and after a bit of 'bish, bash, bosh' the blue stem was born.

A practice run is on the cards to marry this idea with another to produce something really nice.
The glass is easily available in the UK and in a couple of different colours.

@Ed's TnT thank you for the kind offer, I'll see how many people would like them and we can work something out from there.
Always fun spinning glass in my wood lathe and I have to agree with everyone it's turned out really nice.
I may have to do a practice run tomorrow as the itch needs scratching real bad at the moment.

A few people have asked me what woods I have or can get.

All my African Blackwood will be coming from these people, if this species is to continue to be available it's this kind of company that need support.
https://www.soundandfair.com/wood/fsc-100-african-blackwood/

I will happily use any of the following suppliers
http://www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3sKmpreM2QIVSrHtCh25gAw_EAMYASAAEgIewvD_BwE
http://www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3sKmpreM2QIVSrHtCh25gAw_EAMYASAAEgIewvD_BwE

http://penkitsdirect.co.uk/
http://www2.theturnersworkshop.co.uk/
http://www2.theturnersworkshop.co.uk/

https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/pen-making/pen-blanks

Best 'til last

http://www.ukpenblanks.co.uk/

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
A couple of people have been asking about wood types I have so here's a quick look at some of what's in the draw.

There's also one or two blanks that start out looking like this...
But I couldn't leave it looking like that
Bocote open Twist with Cobalt blue glass condenser, some great faces appearing in these blanks
XFipymG.jpg

Support@lamart

Company Representative (Lamart Tubo)
Company Rep
A couple of people have been asking about wood types I have so here's a quick look at some of what's in the draw.

There's also one or two blanks that start out looking like this...
But I couldn't leave it looking like that
Bocote open Twist with Cobalt blue glass condenser, some great faces appearing in these blanks
XFipymG.jpg
Wowzers, that's amazing!! I'll have to find a more outrageous demand next time.. Can you do the moon on a stem for me?

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@needalift I have to get the ideas out of my head to make room for other ideas before my brain pops.
Very frustrating sometimes.

@Mr. Me2 I won't engage in that kind of thing as I'm very twisted and this whole subject is fraught with danger for me. I was tame in our PM's as I'm being ProPP these days lol.

Have to agree with everyone the Cobalt and Bocote turned out stunning.
And there are a couple of glass colour options.
9NM15HD.jpg

Just gonna drop the Pro bit for a paragraph or two, no offence intended.

I often put together a stem and think to myself 'I can do this fuker'.

Yesterday there was a very real need to get the open twist done and I was/am still gobfukinsmacked just how well it has come together. I've joined the 'Can't stop looking at it' club.
Fukin mental how far I've come since I decided to get into this.

There is a lot of work in front of me this round of orders, I'm looking at most people ordering more than one piece and thru no fault of mine, some of you fukers keep changing your minds or adding shit.
No idea why:shrug::lol:
TnVuvWz.jpg

This means that I've no time frame on how long it's going to be getting orders fulfilled, I need the CNC parts before I make new stems.
One of the pieces is hopefully going to go in every new stem.
More details when I've put together the first one.

I think @Summer mentioned my involvement with The Hedonist Club and I have had a couple of enquiries from other retailers, can't turn these kind of opportunities down as they could be my bread and butter money. A buffer for custom work.
This is where the second idea I have at the machine shop comes into play.

Conversations in my Inbox can and do get a bit of a mind fuk trying to keep up with so please excuse me if I ask the same shit again or take a bit of time getting back to you.
I will not be pissed off if you 'pester' me.

I don't want to reply with 'Yes, yes, no, now leave me the fuk alone'.
I'm not that kind of person, custom work is a very personal thing and I need to have conversations with people.
Doesn't help that I can talk shit about shit.

Cases.
I have one more case kit to do then I need to order some more. If there is enough interest of course.
They come in three different colours and an idea of which ones and colours would be nice.
Bigger blanks are needed so again they will need ordering if not readily available.
I'll work out a way of taking some number outside of PM's.
They come from these guys.
http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_39_0_21_146
Jwv44eI.jpg

As you've seen from the first couple the brass tubes allow for a bit of play on the lengths and coupling position.
Not my work but a couple of examples of how they can look.
LEbzBxl.jpg

This whole thing has snowballed a bit and I seem to play catch up every now and again so patience is all I ask of you.
Now I'm gonna get shitfaced and try and keep all my fingers.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
The end of this week has been the most eye opening few days I've ever had.
This VC community is amazing, the buzz and good vibe this modest little device has created seems to be so contagious.

The whole VC scene and how it's grown exponentially since the OG has really taken me by surprise and it just keeps getting better.

I have had some great and very humbling conversations this week and I can honestly say it fries my brain.
Never come across this anywhere else, especially in the MJ world in a non legal country.

It's a real pleasure and honour to be part of it.

The good vibe has even carried over to my CNC man, he knows nothing about what the finished product will be for but he's turning out to be a great contact and very accommodating. A rare thing over here.

I'm 7 days off him starting and he's agreed to do both the metal parts I want but less of them.
The reason for this is so I can save a bit of money for something else.

There's always a 'something else' in my world just now.

Can't go into too much detail but an opportunity has come about that may never happen again, at least not for the foreseeable future.
What could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me that has to be taken.

All will be revealed over the course of the next month or so, it's something I'm really looking forward to and I think one or two other people will get a kick out of it.

Anyways I'm going to have to get a few numbers for these cases, it makes sense to order and turn a batch of them at once. As I posted about before the kits come from the States and I need to work out how many to get so I can make one reasonable sized order rather than be back and forth for one or two.
Thankfully there are some great people here who are going to help make it happen.

This is the last one I will be able to do for now so sorry for any delays caused for the people who've made enquiries. I underestimated their popularity.

Have to get my big boy drills out for these, silver drill is 5mm, VC condenser size.
Stepping up the sizes until I get too 21mm, 0.82".
UhLGHVR.jpg

Of course it had to be Bocote and cut down to suit a Bocote stem
VRGGAa8.jpg

Have a great weekend people.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Waiting for news from the machine shop is worse than tracking a parcel, I'm hoping they get in touch before the weekend. Saturday and Sunday could end up being very long days.

This stuff stinks when turning it, the shed filled with the smell of burning hair.
The end result is very nice but I can't see me doing another of these, if I can get another blank then it'll get used for small accents.
Just needs a little leather washer between the two halves.
QzssgcO.jpg

almost there

Waiting for news from the machine shop is worse than tracking a parcel, I'm hoping they get in touch before the weekend. Saturday and Sunday could end up being very long days.

This stuff stinks when turning it, the shed filled with the smell of burning hair.
The end result is very nice but I can't see me doing another of these, if I can get another blank then it'll get used for small accents.
Just needs a little leather washer between the two halves.
QzssgcO.jpg
I am so completely taken with this piece PP, so takened! Without a doubt a collector’s prize!

Top Bottom