Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarface

Okay, so I just used my pax for the first time last night.

Now, my bud isnt here yet so we used my boys bud which is mid grade and it wasnt much of it. Apparently he paid $20 for it, but I fit pretty much the whole dub into the oven. I read that the pax workes better finely grind and packed tight, so I did just that.

Now that the background is covered:

-The mouthpiece was getting really hot. I've read thats often because the oven isnt full, but ours definitely was. It was a light dub in there pretty much. We made sure to draw slowly and tried hitting like a cigar

-Also, not long into our session, maybe 5 minutes or so with around 4 draws from each of us, it started to have an extreme draw resistance. I understand that this device does have a strong resistance, but we're big strong guys and it was really hard to pull from this. When we exhaled there wasnt much vapor coming out as the first few hits which were nice, tasted good, and could definitely feel and see the vapor.

Theres no way we went through a light dub and very full and densely packed oven that quickly is there?

Also, when I opened it, it didnt look like the weed was done. I put it on high this morning before class and got like 2 draws with visual vapor exhaled but then it became extremely difficult to draw from again. Still, the weed didnt look completely done, so I took it out and put some of the greener bits in a bowl and smoked that and was definitely weed in there.

So Im kind of lost where Im wrong. I got kinda high last night, but certainly not what I was expecting and was a little disappointed with the initial use. Would really appreciate if people could help with my miscues. Sorry about the length, but Im high and rambling LOL

Scarface,

Vitolo

Vaporist
...Would really appreciate if people could help...
Every vape out there has a learning curve.
Even fool proof vapes require a few loads to perfect grind and technique.
New Vapes... I advise folks to do just that... use "mids"
Mids do not vape all that well, but they do vape... and.... an important thing to remember--->
It is rarely better than 50/50 success probability to start out trying a new vaporizer, with a "finite" amount of meds in front of you to medicate with. (and for two people at that).
I am waiting to hear your feelings later... after you obtain some med grade... and find your technique.
All of our techniques are not identical.. but all have a technique~

JoeKickass

Okay, so I just used my pax for the first time last night.

What temp was it on?

How dark was the bud next to the heater?

It's possible the screen shifted and sealed the stem, try playing with the screen. Bend it very slightly and try to get to sitting at an angle with a space over the stem hole.

Scarface

Every vape out there has a learning curve.
Even fool proof vapes require a few loads to perfect grind and technique.
New Vapes... I advise folks to do just that... use "mids"
Mids do not vape all that well, but they do vape... and.... an important thing to remember--->
It is rarely better than 50/50 success probability to start out trying a new vaporizer, with a "finite" amount of meds in front of you to medicate with. (and for two people at that).
I am waiting to hear your feelings later... after you obtain some med grade... and find your technique.

All of our techniques are not identical.. but all have a technique~

Thanks, Im sure Ill figure it out, just looking for some ideas.

What temp was it on?

How dark was the bud next to the heater?

It's possible the screen shifted and sealed the stem, try playing with the screen. Bend it very slightly and try to get to sitting at an angle with a space over the stem hole.

Had it on medium the whole time. The bud next to the heater was pretty dark green, part cooked but not black. I'll definitely try that. The way it pulled makes sense that the stem was sealed.

Scarface,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Had it on medium the whole time. The bud next to the heater was pretty dark green, part cooked but not black. I'll definitely try that. The way it pulled makes sense that the stem was sealed.

I think JoeKickass is on to something. The only time I have had an issue like that was when the screen was not properly seated and moved around.

I know you said you tried not to draw hard, but if you're feeling resistance then you're pulling too hard. It likes a really light draw.

Scarface

Definitely was having a hard time drawing even again last night after moving the screen out and back in. It seemed to fix and pull resisted but comfortable for the first few hits and then it felt really congested again. We smoked a gram between the 2 of us. Not as high as I was expecting. I really dont think its supposed to be as difficult as it is for us to draw. Like we see vapor for a few hits and then it feels like its out already.

Another question. About how much bud do you guys usually put in the oven and how many hits do you get from it. Also, how long is your session? Just trying to learn as much as I can. I really want to like this lol. I love the idea of vaping and I spent 250 on the device. But I got people asking if we can smoke the 2nd half of the bud after not the best experience with the first half.

Scarface,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
Don't literally pack the oven as tight as you can. Are you stirring the load at all? Are you absolutely sure that the screen is not flat against the vapor tube? Are you using properly cured product? Are you giving the oven a chance to produce more vapor between hits?

With a packed oven (.2g-.3g), I can get about 10 big pulls on low, another 8 on medium, and another 5 or so on high. I do not finely grind because it can jam up the small vents cut into the perimeter of the screen. I use a medium grind. I also do not pack ridiculously tight because it won't allow airflow.

Don't forget that you have to hold vapor in longer than smoke. Hold for a good 8-10 seconds.

Deadshort480,
Reactions: Scarface

Scarface

Don't literally pack the oven as tight as you can. Are you stirring the load at all? Are you absolutely sure that the screen is not flat against the vapor tube? Are you using properly cured product? Are you giving the oven a chance to produce more vapor between hits?

With a packed oven (.2g-.3g), I can get about 10 big pulls on low, another 8 on medium, and another 5 or so on high. I do not finely grind because it can jam up the small vents cut into the perimeter of the screen. I use a medium grind. I also do not pack ridiculously tight because it won't allow airflow.

Don't forget that you have to hold vapor in longer than smoke. Hold for a good 8-10 seconds.

Yea the oven is definitely packed a little too tight I'd say. I had over a half a gram the first time and probably around .5g last time. Ill try with much less next time. The bud was definitely cured and dry, not the highest quality tho.

Im not quite sure what you mean but the screen over the vapor tube. Im definitely not sure that its not. I took it out and moved it around and put it back in, but it seems like it only fits to go directly over the tube. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem but I dont understand how you keep the screen away from the tube.

We are stirring the load, but maybe not giving it enough time between pulls. How long would you recommend?

Scarface,

2 Paces

Im not quite sure what you mean but the screen over the vapor tube. Im definitely not sure that its not. I took it out and moved it around and put it back in, but it seems like it only fits to go directly over the tube. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem but I dont understand how you keep the screen away from the tube.

When you take the screen out, you will notice the air tube hole on one side of the oven. The screen is actually bigger (a little longer) than the oven. So it will not fit flat against the floor of the oven, one end will be sticking up a bit when it is in place. So when you place the screen, place the end that is NOT over the hole first and makes sure it rests against the floor of the oven. Then press it down gently so that the other end seats itself just above the air tube hole, but is as far down as it will go.

This will leave a little bit of air space between the screen and the air tube hole. If the screen is placed the opposite way, the screen can constrict the airflow to the tube if it is flush against the hole.

Not sure if that makes sense...

fogbank

I think JoeKickass is on to something. The only time I have had an issue like that was when the screen was not properly seated and moved around.

Likewise for me, but there is another issue that a misplaced screen can cause.

Besides blocking the vapor tube, a misplaced screen may "rock" side-to-side slightly, allowing material to get around the screen and into the vapor tube. This has happened to me, as was evident when I cleaned the vapor tube and extracted some plant material.

This blockage can cause the draw to become almost impossible. It doesn't take much material...

fogbank,

2-Medicated

I find the screen not to have much effect on draw regardless of whether one side's flat or the other! I understand that I may have a defective unit and will of course contact pax in regards to why I cannot seem to make this device fail. :science:

Err'e-body take a pax break :

mistadontplay

just got mine today. I love it. I have an AtmosRaw and it jsut doesnt perform the way I want it to. Seems like I have to pull on it forever just to get a good pull. The Pax works just the way I want it to. If I could get my Atmos to work like my MFLB and Pax i'd be str8

mistadontplay,

Ike

I ordered from Ploom on Monday and my Pax arrived two days later on Wednesday. Not bad from San Francisco to Michigan. After one oven, I was left wondering why I waited so long to pull the trigger on one of these. My MFLB probably won't be seeing much use anymore. The battery life on the Pax is excellent, the unit is even smaller than I was prepared for, and it produces excellent vapor! I'm very impressed with this little guy.

natrat

allowing material to get around the screen and into the vapor tube. This has happened to me, as was evident when I cleaned the vapor tube and extracted some plant material.

This blockage can cause the draw to become almost impossible. It doesn't take much material...

that was happening to me every session, and the narrowest part in the air path at the mouthpiece was clogging so i just drilled it out with a very fine pick. Never like the hard draw much anyway

natrat,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
that was happening to me every session, and the narrowest part in the air path at the mouthpiece was clogging so i just drilled it out with a very fine pick. Never like the hard draw much anyway

The restriction in the air/vapour path isn't the mouthpiece, it's the screen in the oven. You can easily test this yourself. Remove the mouthpiece and pull through it. Notice there's no improvement. Now pop out the screen and repeat.

triplegun

not sure were to post this...but i might be selling my Pax. it would be to someone close to were i live which is close to vancouver BC.

triplegun,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
That's pretty cool, but it seems like a lot of time and work for a hit.

Did you put that together or was it a purchase?

Deadshort480,

2-Medicated

The draw is actually quite easy, and it almost seems as though the vapor "goes hard"; now check out a hard rip..!

I really think Pax owners will appreciate this display and I hope that those looking into getting a Pax take what I show as a true testament to the sheer power and vapor production this unit displays.

-2-Medicated

2-Medicated,
Reactions: Vitolo

Shadowdjinni

I ordered from Ploom on Monday and my Pax arrived two days later on Wednesday. Not bad from San Francisco to Michigan. After one oven, I was left wondering why I waited so long to pull the trigger on one of these. My MFLB probably won't be seeing much use anymore. The battery life on the Pax is excellent, the unit is even smaller than I was prepared for, and it produces excellent vapor! I'm very impressed with this little guy.

After having only tried a friend's Iolite and another's MFLB, when I bought the Pax on a whim I was 100% amazed.

My new travel buddy is here; I would suggest the heaven that is hitting Pax through glass.

Paxinator?

That... is... beautiful.

Shadowdjinni,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom