Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I've been vaping since the first commercial vape (which was like a soldering iron in a glass globe lol) but desktop units still have warmup time... the only advantage is that you can vape with a lot of people on one bowl.

I use portables (pax fv and cera eo) almost exclusively now, but my old friend the herbalaire 2.1 is still with me, it's such a well designed tool I can't imagine parting with it.

I think you're referring to the BC Vaporizer, which was introduced in 1994. (Wow! It's changed quite a bit.) It wasn't the first commercial vapourizer though, that was Eagle Bill's Shake and Vape, which he started selling in 1992.</pedant>

One cause of throat and chest issues with some vapourizers is a short unscreened air path. Combine this with a craving for thick clouds and you have a recipe for bronchial irritation. To relate this directly to the Pax, soak your mouthpiece in enough ISO to cover it for 15 minutes. Shake and remove, then notice how much particulate matter there is, and also the size of the particles. This is just what got stuck to the MP. Imagine what got to your throat and lungs. Also, these are just the largest particles. Aerosol-sized particles form the nucleus of the droplets that make up the clouds you're pulling into your lungs. In other words, thicker clouds contain more potential irritants.

I'm not trying to pick on the Pax. It is by no means the worst offender for this, but it is not particularly good either.

JoeKickass

I think you're referring to the BC Vaporizer, which was introduced in 1994. (Wow! It's changed quite a bit.) It wasn't the first commercial vapourizer though, that was Eagle Bill's Shake and Vape, which he started selling in 1992.</pedant>
Wow I'm amazed how old that shake vape is! Here's the old? bc:
bcvaporizer.jpg

With regards to vapor irritation, I've had none since using the Pinnacle tube (or any water filtration) with the Pax :tup:

JoeKickass,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

jeff

Funny you say that. After holding the hits for a ridiculously long time, as per Deadshort480's suggestion, I got very, very ripped on my last oven last night. I really had to sit there and take my time. When I think about it, I was vaping the other ovens today while walking in my hilly Swiss town and was slightly out of breath, like I used to do when smoking. I am starting to think that i didn't have the lung capacity to walk up hills and vape because I had to exhale the hit so early. It really does take some dialing in to correctly use it. I am very happy with this device so far.
Jealous of your Swiss hill walks. When I first got my whispr and didn't know what I was doing that thing would lay me out. I couldn't function.

How does the Pax compare to a desktop unit? I've heard desktops are so much more effective, so I'm considering getting one. But if the Pax is comparable, I'd rather save the money.
My first vape was the pax ploom. And it was amazing. But I kept hearing about desktop units. So I had to try one. Desktops just have so much more power and can give an amazing draw. I use a lsv and bubble mainly. But the pax is still great for portability. So depends where you use.

I agree. Having a desktop is totally different. And dead short has a good point. First my eq is way more efficient. I can get ripped in a couple quick tokes provided it I has been running. I can also leave an elbow pack in there while it is on at temp and see little degradation. I only use my pax on the move or when I can't wait for the warmup time or I just want to lay somewhere and puff instead of standing in front of my vape.

I love using my eq through water. The hot short vapor path of the pax would irritate me if I used it every session. Also the taste of my eq plus water pipe is amazing. I've been thinking about getting an lsv, mainly because I want a cloud but find the price insane.

jeff,

Mishakal

Just a common sense heads up to my fellow Pax users. After a mild cold the previous week and some heavy duty vaping all day last Saturday, I woke up very early Sunday morning with the beginnings of an asthma attack. I used a rescue inhaler I was given during a long bout of bronchitis last fall (which prompted my Pax purchase). My lungs would get better and then worse and worse throughout the day. By early evening it was apparent that I was only deteriorating and my wife took me to the emergency room. My lungs were filling with fluid and congestive heart failure was suspected. After a shitload of tests and a night wired up on the cardio floor it turned out that the asthma was caused by fast moving bronchitis (not CHF, my heart is perfectly healthy), I was hospitalized for another miserable night and am still on steroids, antibiotics and inhalers. I will not admit cannabis use to my healthcare providers until prohibition ends. I'm feeling almost 100% better and certain to make a full recovery, but it was a major drag and a kick in the ass. I've cleaned and stored my Pax per Ploom's directions and won't be using it for at least a month or more, at which point (assuming it agrees with me) I will be very, very cautious with mild, infrequent use. My point is that although vaping is way, way safer than combustion, it is not safe! Listen to your body and recognize when to stop. I won't say that vaping exclusively caused this, but it would sure figure into the whole picture, so exercise caution and stay healthy.

Hey, sorry you're feeling puny. Hope things get better fast. I was in a similar boat in March, hospitalized for pneumonia, though I'm currently combusting instead of vaping.

It's quite possible that vaping contributed to the asthma flare. When I use my friend's Pax, I often feel tight after (though I feel that way smoking cigarettes and even breathing cold air, too). However.... I doubt that the Pax made the bacteria get into your lungs. I also doubt anything in vaping is likely to make your lungs a better breeding ground, except perhaps that I know I don't cough nearly as efficiently when I'm tight -- harder to clear the lungs of secretions then.

I understand why you feel the need for caution, though. Over 10 years ago I had a fungal pneumonia, and had been smoking a lot through a bong that was plastic and not cleaned well. To this day, I only use glass bongs, and only if the person cleans it properly. But it's probably overcaution on my part, too -- though I think getting a lung infection from a bong is far more feasible.

Mishakal,

vape4health

Well I haven't been around in forever but it's time for a new portable so I'm here to learn. The Pax is calling me. For any of my old friends here (or new ones yet to be made) Hi !

vape4health,

exit

One can use a PAX without the lube if it's cleaned regularly, right?
I've been cleaning my NO2 100% out after every use for the last few years so the regiment does not scare me

exit,
Reactions: Vitolo

TommydCat

I'm getting lots of the temp light issue now though I feel my Pax is thoroughly clean. Haven't tried the lube yet (and not fond of the idea), but yet I gotta hold the mouthpiece super still and just so for the heater to actually warm up (and after warm it usually quits acting up so horribly).

I still haven't actually got the spring out to clean, though I've tried to follow the hints others have left, though I don't have the MFLB brush some have had success with.

Any last minute suggestions before calling Ploom? For this much money the on/off functionality shouldn't be this broke..

TommydCat,

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
i apologize if this has been asked before, but has anyone who bought their pax used or from unofficial source attempted to use the warranty?

i know they say the warranty only applies to the original owner but is this set in stone?

It just doesn't make sense to buy it used if you don't have the warranty but I see people doing it...

thanks

vaporonly,

FriedClaustrum

I'd just send it back - about to receive my 3rd one in a few days. This time the oven stopped working, purple light would just pulse for a while but no heat. They are replacing it. Again.

FriedClaustrum,

philmcneal

vap3 master
wow i really don't want to get a pax when so many people are having issues with their units.

The warranty is nice but it sounds like such a hassle needing to send it back every few months or so

philmcneal,

Paxadaisical

Well, I'm new to the forum. And to vaporizing.

A week ago today I took a trip to the big city, and found a shop that had the Onyx Pax in stock! I took the plunge... and I love it! This thing is simply amazing!

I had been combusting for a while, and wanted something very discreet to start out vaporizing with. Table-top was out (the missus would never go for that). At my age, sitting on the couch and inhaling vapor from a balloon seems a little too deviant even for me. But that's just me. It was obvious (to me) to get a portable. I had been up in the air between the Pax, the MFLB, and the Solo.

It just came down to design, discretion, and ease of use. The Pax really fit the bill. Not that the other's wouldn't. The Solo seems like a great tool, and the MFLB... well, I can see where that little thing would be in a lot of people's hearts.

This thing is crazy efficient. My biggest concern was vaping small amounts. I'm a lightweight, and it will be a while (if ever) that I can do a full oven. At least the medicinal-quality stuff that I use. I had seen a video of someone using a bent 20mm screen as a spacer for a tiny amount of herb, and I can safely say that is my favoirte way of vaping. I've tried doing a full oven over the course of several sessions... but I don't think it even compares.

Anyway, hello to all, and happy vaping!

exit

From what I have read and seen from people I know who own a PAX, they seem to keep working as long you keep them very clean. I am not scared to perform repairs myself because I am pretty good at that kind of thing, so I decided to take my chances on a used one... that said when I get mine I'll keep this thread updated. I'm sure I'll work together a routine to keep it in shape sooner or later.o

I have a small metal brush that came with my Bender... i can't find it to take a pic right now but is that kind of thing okay?

exit,

Mishakal

Peer pressure convinced me and today I purchased my own Pax. I need to quit smoking cigarettes and I hope that this will help in that endeavor -- combustion leads to combustion, ya know?

On medium and high it does get warm in the hands, and the smell is definitely much more like fresh material than what the plant smells like when it's burning. Maybe a more pleasant aroma can blend in better with my preferred perfume, Bath and Body Work's Juniper Breeze.

Mishakal,
Reactions: Tweek

Tweek

Peer pressure convinced me and today I purchased my own Pax. I need to quit smoking cigarettes and I hope that this will help in that endeavor -- combustion leads to combustion, ya know?

On medium and high it does get warm in the hands, and the smell is definitely much more like fresh material than what the plant smells like when it's burning. Maybe a more pleasant aroma can blend in better with my preferred perfume, Bath and Body Work's Juniper Breeze.

Pax is one of the stinkier units at higher heat, but lower settings can be fairly fragrant.

Tweek,

francis

Vape enthusiasms
I'm ok with it...I used to enjoy stinking up the commuter train. Wakes up all the stiffs and gets their minds working.
i'm ok with it too , i use to combust anywhere .
the smell is more subtle than smoke tho.

francis,

exit

It is, but I think the pax is one of the "stinkier" vapes. At least as far as flower portables go.

I too used to combust ANYWHERE. Thank fucking christ those days are over.

exit,
Reactions: francis

francis

Vape enthusiasms
New water adapter piece already made and ready to use on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Water-P...853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232b0651fd
$30.00 is very reasonable and is about the price of the parts for the adapter anyway. Has anyone tried this from this seller?
Looks nice !
humm... need more info more pictures !
does it clip in the mouthpiece groove ?
i'm one click away from buying it ..

EDIT:
tittle says ***worldwide shipping ***
dont ship to canada.

can't even contact member on ebay.

We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing.

francis,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom