Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

If they had only shipped mine one day sooner, I would have had it for the weekend :puke: I hope it won't have some of these issues being mentioned. I don't mind doing a bit of cleaning if it means a superior portable.

Tweek,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I do think the fear factor is up a little high on this vape. Sure it's got some quirks, but most have been figured out and if it's not a cleaning issue, it might be a warranty issue and can be resolved. I have been repeating this to no end, but once I started cleaning around the spring area, I have not been experiencing the sticking or the temp light problem. What I see happening is crops of new people finding their way to FC to try to figure out what is going on w/ the Pax with out reading the thread very well, and I understand it is an undertaking. I've been there too, and it can be overwhelming. My advice is to go back about 20 pages from the end of the thread and read from there. That at least gives you a good feel for what is currently being discussed. Then you can work your way further back as time goes by, if you don't find your answers.

I also have been brainstorming some kind of "go to" stickie kind of FAQ page we can put together somehow, just trying to figure out the best way to go about it. Lots of repeat info going on here.

Bottom line is, unless you have a faulty unit, with the right cleaning process, you can have a happy, functional pax. I don't know about the longevity of the device since we are only a month or so into using them. That has yet to be determined.

bdbx18

A continuation of my saga with a non-effective Pax...

I had a smidgeon of my half-spent bud on my EQ, vaped it and was well medicated. So I know my bud is (still) potent. However, it was much easier to draw that my Pax. Could that be the problem? Or is my Pax defective in that it is running at too high a temp and thus my bud gets wasted quicker?

My Pax is coming back from Ploom. If they repaired it, obviously I'll try again. If they send me a new one, I'll find a buyer instead. Unless I learn more from others as to what I'm doing wrong. Any links to a good youtube showing proper packing and drawing?

bdbx18,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I also have been brainstorming some kind of "go to" stickie kind of FAQ page we can put together somehow, just trying to figure out the best way to go about it. Lots of repeat info going on here.

That's what the Vaporpedia entry is great for. Send vtac a PM and get a Vaporpedia registration and you can put your FAQ there. If you don't want to do that, send me your write-up and I'll format it and post it to Vaporpedia.

pakalolo,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
thanks Pak, I still need to spend the time writing something up. If anyone has any key points they want to be sure get covered, PM me about it. Thanks!!

are we sure there isn't one already made for Pax before I spent the time??

jambandphan03,
TheDudeNextDoor,
Reactions: Dogman

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
You forgot to mention it is butane which some don't like but yes there are a few like that.

Dreamerr,
I don't really know anything about it. I just know it bills itself as the one-hitter vape. Sounded like he might be interested in it.

TheDudeNextDoor,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
I see you have the iolite...can't that be used as a one hitter as well. I thought most of the butane ones could. You just have to hope they light.

Dreamerr,
Not really well, actually. You CAN use it with small amounts, but it works much better with a 3/4 full bowl. Also, unlike the Pax or Inh I believe, you have to vape the entire bowl. You can't take a couple hits, turn it off, and come back for more later, or it will taste like crap. Good vape, though. It lights the first time every time 95% of the time and has done so for going on two years now. Not very stealth, though.

TheDudeNextDoor,

headdoctor

thanks Pak, I still need to spend the time writing something up. If anyone has any key points they want to be sure get covered, PM me about it. Thanks!!

I think this is a great idea, if you have the time, since we seem to have the same questions being asked every other day, followed, patiently, by the same answers. Thanks for even considering it. I don't know how these things work, but if there's any way either to post your pictures of the spring area or to create a link, that would be fantastic. Those pictures (p172, I think) have been a terrific help to me.

headdoctor,

Tweek

Thanks for doing this :tup::rockon:

Tweek,

xhighflyerx23mjx

First, what are others saying that I'm contradicting?

Next, let's see who's being silly. The Pax is always heating the load. You don't seem to grasp how conduction vapourizers work. There is a huge difference between always having heat ready and always heating the load. The Pax is vapourizing your weed whether you are drawing on it or not! Always. Let's review:
  • The Pax has a huge oven.
  • Ploom recommends you pack it tightly.
  • The oven is always vapourizing your cannabis.
It's pretty silly to say that this wouldn't use up your load faster--not to mention that you seem to ignore completely the experience of those of us who do have a Pax and have noticed our stash shrinking more rapidly.

Like I said previously "unless I misunderstood what you were saying". Clearly I am new here and I do not have a Pax as I have said in a few posts above, but thanks for getting your panties in a bunch over someone who was merely curious about how things work with the device. I never said you were wrong but you sure did take it that way.

Plenty of people say they save flower by loading up their Pax and vaping one hits throughout the day as the device I am sure does not continually heat the flower throughout the day when not in use which is what I was talking about. I will not go through the hundreds of posts to quote different members as that would be a waste of time. Maybe it is not efficient in saving flower in a single session but take one hit and turning it off for another in a few hours seems like it saves bud to me. If it doesn't then I am sorry to disturb you your highness.

Thanks for being such a lovely poster for a new member. You really make this forum shine.

Jethro

Just want to report to the borg here that after a real good clean last night that I used my PAX all day today without issue! The only thing is that after a fresh charge last night I was on my second heating cycle (so my 4th and 5th draws) and I shook for a battery check and it was yellow. I don't think I get the battery life I would expect, but then I've never run it completely down, so I don't know the true life.

Jethro,

lookhigh

FC member
Now for something completly different. can you draw on the pax when the mouthpiece is closed, just to get the last bit out when switching of for a break and cool the load.

HSIHP

Now for something completly different. can you draw on the pax when the mouthpiece is closed, just to get the last bit out when switching of for a break and cool the load.

yes you can, and I do every time. I finds this also helps limit the amount of stickieness.

HSIHP,
Reactions: Dogman

Dogman

Vaporist Extrordinair
Wow! I woke up this morning to an email from Ploom telling me my Pax was shipped yesterday and should be here by Tuesday!

I hate to bring this up again, but for Plooms customer service to work this quickly on an 'out of warranty' issue is just frigging amazing! There are only a couple of companies I know of that provide outstanding service for our vaporizer needs, Ploom is absolutely one of them.

Thank you a thousand times Ploom, I will definitely be spreading praise in your name!

Shit, now I have to wait ... where is that T1?

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Like I said previously "unless I misunderstood what you were saying". Clearly I am new here and I do not have a Pax as I have said in a few posts above, but thanks for getting your panties in a bunch over someone who was merely curious about how things work with the device. I never said you were wrong but you sure did take it that way.

Plenty of people say they save flower by loading up their Pax and vaping one hits throughout the day as the device I am sure does not continually heat the flower throughout the day when not in use which is what I was talking about. I will not go through the hundreds of posts to quote different members as that would be a waste of time. Maybe it is not efficient in saving flower in a single session but take one hit and turning it off for another in a few hours seems like it saves bud to me. If it doesn't then I am sorry to disturb you your highness.

Thanks for being such a lovely poster for a new member. You really make this forum shine.

You started out by writing:

I don't have the Pax but what you are saying seems to go against what other users are saying.

and

Saying that it continually heats while it's on is not good for saving flower is a little silly to me.

Do you think a reasonable person would conclude that you weren't implying that I was wrong?

You are wrong about the conservation of the one-hit method because again, you don't understand how conduction vapourizers work. Turning it on and off for one hit is probably the least efficient way to use your cannabis. Since the load is in contact with the heating surface, it begins to vapourize as the oven heats up, and this happens long before the Pax reaches even its lowest operating temperature. The terpenoids that provide all the flavour vapourize at temperatures at and below the Pax blue standby mode. This is a major part of the reason the Pax is flavour-challenged compared to most vapourizers. Every time you turn the Pax on you repeat this heatup and vapourize a bit more of your weed.

One more thing: your tone in your reply breaks this rule:
  • All members must be treated in a respectful and adult manner. All members should respect and adhere to the promotion of harmony within the community. Do not attempt to disrupt the community in any way.
As a new member, the rules should be fresh in your memory. You should try to fit in and not drip sarcasm when you post, especially when responding to a moderator.

Reading Vapingholes post made me smile. Every once and awhile he surfaces to remind us.
I offer this post for new users. It is not comprehensive and does not cover everything but it is stuff that has served me well:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pax-vaporizer-by-ploom.6223/page-113#post-274498

For those counting I received my 3rd Pax yesterday. My first was (S/N 098) - I believe the S/N's are different for each color and these are all for the black model. I got iso on the temp button. It was actually before Ploom released a how to clean video and it was replaced no issue. The action of this unit could only be described as "hydraulic"- real smooth. My second unit (S/N 0138) also felt smooth but developed problems with the mouthpiece (it would not extend sometimes). I contacted Ploom directly and they shipped me a new mouthpiece - what I liked to think of as a "factory JoeKickAss". It cured the issues I had with the sticking mp but it no longer felt smooth - it felt more "clicky". Eventually I started having problems with the unit turning on. No amount of cleaning helped (although I didn't know how to remove the spring - if I had I probably could have corrected the problem myself). No problem, Ploom shipped me a new unit (S/N 5038). Now I may be crazy but it seems like its slightly more shiny - I thought my other ones were a little more matte/machined looking. Anyway the point is this one isn't as smooth as the first ones but it feels better than my second unit with the updated mp.

I would like to reiterate I do not consider these things to be problems. I was one of the first people to get one. We all learned together. The company stands by its product. If someone purchased one now the would surely get one of the newer units which could be determined by looking at the MP and see if its the updated version - a picture of which might be included in the "sticky".

On the bright side my enforced break from vaping while my Pax was away has given me a new respect for the medium temp setting!

My name is HephziBubba and I am a Paxaholic.

Dogman

Vaporist Extrordinair
I have never used a MFLB, but I consider my T1 to be the only true one hitter on the market. Turn it on, let it heat for 10 seconds, take a rip for 10 to 15 seconds, turn it off and continue to rip until all the heat goes away and shove it back in your pocket. One hit, no wasted herbs because once it is off the heating is done and cools quickly.

Convection seems to give the best results for me in a one hitter scenario, and I have seen many posts about the MFLB being a nice one hitter, but I thought it was time to mention a very efficient one hitter that has never really been mentioned.

Just my opinion though.

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
I have never used a MFLB, but I consider my T1 to be the only true one hitter on the market. Turn it on, let it heat for 10 seconds, take a rip for 10 to 15 seconds, turn it off and continue to rip until all the heat goes away and shove it back in your pocket. One hit, no wasted herbs because once it is off the heating is done and cools quickly.

Convection seems to give the best results for me in a one hitter scenario, and I have seen many posts about the MFLB being a nice one hitter, but I thought it was time to mention a very efficient one hitter that has never really been mentioned.

Just my opinion though.

Turn on my PAX, Take one long 15 to 20 second hit, turn my PAX off, still hit it while off, back in my pocket...... Same Same...

Kuroth1,

kushcloud

OKAY so ive had the Pax since August and now am starting to have problems with my unit. I just cleaned my pax without getting everclear on the temp button and my battery is fully charged. Heres the problem, when i start my unit it will flash purple for awhile then flash the temp color, then back to flashing purple, while the unit is still cold. Ive never had an issue with the pax, cleaned it regularly, now im starting to get heating problems. Any help would be appreciated as i DO NOT WANT to deal with the whole shipping back and forth with Vapeworld because i reside in Canada. Thanks!

kushcloud,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
OKAY so ive had the Pax since August and now am starting to have problems with my unit. I just cleaned my pax without getting everclear on the temp button and my battery is fully charged. Heres the problem, when i start my unit it will flash purple for awhile then flash the temp color, then back to flashing purple, while the unit is still cold. Ive never had an issue with the pax, cleaned it regularly, now im starting to get heating problems. Any help would be appreciated as i DO NOT WANT to deal with the whole shipping back and forth with Vapeworld because i reside in Canada. Thanks!

This happened to me.. When you put the mouth piece back in, click it down and up 5 or six times as fast and hard as you can without locking it.. Have not had this issue since I started doing this.. Hope it works for you...

Kuroth1,

kushcloud

This happened to me.. When you put the mouth piece back in, click it down and up 5 or six times as fast and hard as you can without locking it.. Have not had this issue since I started doing this.. Hope it works for you...

Should i try and put everclear on the mouthpiece then insert up and down 5-10 times? Tried doing that dry, didnt work. I just cleaned the unit and the mouthpiece is having a little trouble coming up and down dry so now im thinking iso that mouthpiece tube.

kushcloud,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom