Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeKickass

This combined with the shape of the mouthpiece allows your lip to be pinched in this small space while vaping... This makes the Pax mouthpiece very hot to the lips.

You don't have to suck the mouthpiece, just put it to your lips like a joint or blunt you don't want to get soggy.

The mouthpiece stays very comfortable to me, however the vapor at the very beginning of the bowl will have water vapor which "feels" hotter because it condenses. In any case, the key is to simply place the mouthpiece to your lips, like a light peck, not suck on it (which can squeeze your lip flesh over the mouthpiece hole which might be why it feels hot to you)

I got the INH with much less maintenance over the pax

Since you said as a fact, and new users will read it thinking it's true, I feel compelled to say:

This is her opinion and in no way reflects the vast majority of Pax users. We seldomly clean our device by simply wiping it with a q-tip or two, that's about as much work as blowing the crumbs out of your Inh IMO...

willieR

Been here since 2009
Regarding the efficiency discussions, burning a fresh bowl on high will waste a lot of vape. You just can't inhale it at the rate it's putting it out. If you're vaping solo, that is. Even on medium it really puts it out and some vape may be lost. I like starting on low and progressing up after a stir which even with a small oven load will get me very toasted. Using this progressively increasing temp routine seems like a very efficient extraction to me.

Another random thought. This vapor will condense on cooler surfaces just as water does. Perhaps an easy way for a very small amount of resin to be deposited in the area where electrical contacts are sketchy. Just a thought / theory.

willieR,

MrNorml

I am having some issues with my light turning blue (inactive mode), mid session, while I am actively moving. This could be the motion sensor. I will vape this afternoon, and see if this changes, and if it does not I will contact Ploom.
I do have comments about the mouthpiece's temperature.. and the way that it pinches my lip if I walk or move while vaping
Photoon2012-09-28at1604.jpg

It almost appears you are placing your mouth over the entier top of the unit (the brush is pointing to where ther eis this little area that could move and pinch). Just put your lips around the very end of the tip and hit it like a joint some say. Your lips shouldn't be coming close to where they could get pinched - if they are, you're doing something wrong. Although that wouldn't have anything to do with temperature of the vapor coming out.

MrNorml,
Reactions: willieR

willieR

Been here since 2009
Orbtronic paid me a visit. NCR18650B in hand. Headed to hardware store for the Torx bit to open this puppy. That's one damned small Torx. I was going to also get the needle file and do the JoeKA mod, but mine's been working absolutely flawlessly and why should I tempt fate. Ha. So why the hell am I changing the battery? Just extended time while out on a hike etc. If I can reload a couple of ovens one battery charge, that would be very cool.

willieR,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Since you said as a fact, and new users will read it thinking it's true, I feel compelled to say:

This is her opinion and in no way reflects the vast majority of Pax users. We seldomly clean our device by simply wiping it with a q-tip or two, that's about as much work as blowing the crumbs out of your Inh IMO...

Dreamerr's statement is no more an assertion of fact than is yours that her opinion in no way reflects the majority of Pax users. Even if everyone else in this thread besides her agreed with you--and they don't, the line starts behind me--you couldn't possibly say how the vast majority of Pax users feel about this because the vast majority of Pax users do not post here and probably don't even know FC exists.

You keep insisting that the Pax doesn't need much cleaning as if that were a fact, when it is simply your opinion. It's not a fact.

ats314

I received my today Pax and it won't charge out of the box. I am not happy :mad:, to say the very least. Unless there is a simple fix, I will be returning for a full refund and not ordering another.

ats314,

HSIHP

I received my today Pax and it won't charge out of the box. I am not happy :mad:, to say the very least. Unless there is a simple fix, I will be returning for a full refund and not ordering another.

This has happened before in this thread. I think the batterie was probably fully drained before you got it thus no charging. It sucks you got a dud and I totally understand your frustration.

HSIHP,

ats314

This has happened before in this thread. I think the batterie was probably fully drained before you got it thus no charging. It sucks you got a dud and I totally understand your frustration.

The battery does not read fully drained. It shows a partial charge. I'll keep messing with it. Hopefully I'm missing something.

ats314,

HSIHP

The battery does not read fully drained. It shows a partial charge. I'll keep messing with it. Hopefully I'm missing something.

Have you tried both mouthpiece on and off? Maybe different outlets?

HSIHP,

ats314

i'll be perfectly honest, i'm almost glad it's broken. People had warned me about the tight draw on that thing, but it's worse than I imagined. There is literally no air intake. I don't understand how people use this thing.

ats314,

willieR

Been here since 2009
i'll be perfectly honest, i'm almost glad it's broken. People had warned me about the tight draw on that thing, but it's worse than I imagined. There is literally no air intake. I don't understand how people use this thing.

Not literally, obviously. I have no issue with it.

I think the cleaning is minimal also. I've never seen anything aside from very slight resin on a pipe cleaner. The oven cleans out with a quick wipe and a puff of air. This is I suppose partly because the herbs are in contact with smooth steel, and most of the surfaces are hot, so no sticking. The ABV is dry brown toast. All of it.

The LB, because not all surfaces get hot, requires more brushing after a session. There's always a slight buildup arould the O-ring and on the shelves. That area doesn't get hot. The ABV is not nearly as toasted and stays sticky.

Why do I say all of this? Because despite the quick characterization of the Pax as a high maintenance item, a good arguement could be made that the LB logs in more hands on cleaning time than the Pax. I can't speak for all of Paxdom.

ats314

Not literally, obviously. I have no issue with it.

uh, yes, quite literally. There is no dedicated air intake. It comes only through the small cracks in the device. The best comparison I could make is take a straw, put one finger on the end, poke a very small hole in the side, and breath through it.

ats314,

ats314

The edges of the oven is the air intake. You make it sound as though you can't take a draw.

I'm removing my last response. I'm upset the device arrived malfunctioning, but it's unfair to give critiques without properly testing it. I'll update if I get a chance to use it.

ats314,

Vitolo

Vaporist
During my discussion of my initial impressions, I emphasized that these were merely initial impressions.
The comment about pinching, is the comment of a man walking (with a limp) and vaporizing as he naturally can with a disability... So I will say that... yes, I can pay attention and land my lips nicely on the mouthpiece.
I am positive and hopeful about my Pax experience.
I see that some of my initial doubts may be because I have not had my unit function well and medicate me well yet.
There are some glaring contradictions on my units light displays, and the unit even when charged fully never gives a display beyond yellow when it is shaken.
I began video footage, but will hold back on further work, as I am now in email contact with ploom regarding the fact that I may have a unit that does not heat appropriately.
I will also hold back on further opinion, until I learn if perhaps I have a malfunctioning unit.

Edit-
About that draw.. the idea is not to try to draw.. just to pull with your lungs and allow vapor to come as fast as the device will naturally allow you to inhale it without forcing the draw-

HSIHP

Edit-
About that draw.. the idea is not to try to draw.. just to pull with your lungs and allow vapor to come as fast as the device will naturally allow you to inhale it without forcing the draw-

I have been trying to put this in words for quite a while. This is the perfect advice.

HSIHP,

Vitolo

Vaporist
When I teach folks to use a log vape, like an AromaZap, I describe that they should "lean back against the stems air flow, with your lungs, but do not pull"

Vitolo,

headdoctor

When installing the little screen, leave the empty cavity it creates over the vapor path hole.

willieR: can you explain what you mean by the "empty cavity"? I'm still figuring out the pax and I don't understand what you mean about the screen. (Isn't it uniformly flat?) Sorry to be dense.

And Vito: I also look forward to your thoughts. I always like reading/watching what you have to say.

headdoctor,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I think the cleaning is minimal also. I've never seen anything aside from very slight resin on a pipe cleaner. The oven cleans out with a quick wipe and a puff of air. This is I suppose partly because the herbs are in contact with smooth steel, and most of the surfaces are hot, so no sticking. The ABV is dry brown toast. All of it.

The LB, because not all surfaces get hot, requires more brushing after a session. There's always a slight buildup arould the O-ring and on the shelves. That area doesn't get hot. The ABV is not nearly as toasted and stays sticky.

Why do I say all of this? Because despite the quick characterization of the Pax as a high maintenance item, a good arguement could be made that the LB logs in more hands on cleaning time than the Pax. I can't speak for all of Paxdom.

I clean my daily driver LB about once a month or so, and then it is 60 seconds of heat with the PA and a quick brush along the rails. I have never cleaned my koa LB but it gets little use; it is a display piece. I have never had any build-up on the flat part of the shelves and definitely never around the O-ring of either of my LBs. The only thing that accumulates there is loose material that I can shake back into the trench. Since the heating chamber is small and the vapour path is extremely short (I hit the LB native) there is almost nowhere for the resin to accumulate. If your ABV is not really toasted and particularly if it is still sticky, you need to learn better technique. I can get black ABV from my LBs any time I want it.

The Pax accumulates more resin because it has a much longer vapour path but especially because it continues to heat after you draw. Since it is a conduction device this means it continues to produce vapour when you aren't using it. That vapour has to go somewhere. Some of it is inhaled on the next hit--if there is a next hit--but some of it condenses. I honestly wonder if those who insist that it needs no cleaning have ever looked through the vapour tube or into the mouthpiece tube. On mine, after three-four ovens there is obvious accumulation. I tried leaving it alone as JoeKickAss describes, and noted two things: one, the accumulation near the top of the mouthpiece actually started to block the exit hole, and two, the taste (which goes off quickly in the Pax under the best of conditions) got to be simply awful. I can taste the buildup easily and it is not nice. I should add that I dry my stash thoroughly, because material that hasn't been dried increases resin accumulation by quite a bit.

Finally, and I've posted this in this thread several times already, just because you and JKA don't feel a need to clean your Pax doesn't mean everyone feels that way. Hell, look at JKA's avatar. It's easy to understand why he insisted that crap on the shoulders wasn't an issue, he just doesn't mind it--but I do. Those who do feel compelled to clean the Pax for whatever reason find that it is high maintenance, and no amount of insisting that you don't feel that way doesn't change how someone else feels.

willieR

Been here since 2009
Paka you should go load a bowl, maybe. Thou dost protest too much. Pull out a Marley CD

Headdocktor, do you have a Pax yet? When you put the screen in it leans against one of the walls

Vitolo

Vaporist
Yes, the screens are not quite flat so that it is up on one side.
One thing I do notice that corresponds well with pakalolo's comment... about the need to clean.
My pipe cleaner dipped in Iso comes out pretty dirty, and my pax does not even function "up to heat" yet (don't worry guys I am on top of getting it replaced)
Pakalolo said "It has to go somewhere...."
Try touching the bottom plate when you clean your unit. The inside of the oven door gets "tackier' than any other part of the Pax... and it is at the bottom - not even in the vapor path.
This validates pakalolo's feeling that the condensation must attach somewhere when you are not actively inhaling!

JoeKickass

the accumulation near the top of the mouthpiece actually started to block the exit hole... taste got to be simply awful.

I think that's got to be it, I know you said you dry your stash but it's got to be material related... or maybe technique?

Either way I've almost finished my ounce of Sour Dragon that I posted about, no vapor path cleanings just like always. I can't imagine what kind of stuff physically clogs the mouthpiece? Does it have particulate in the resin? Did you remove your screen?

headdoctor

Thanks, willieR. I've taken the screen out a couple times but I'll give it a closer examination. I've had my Pax for 24 hours but haven't used it. This may sound stupid but I've got a cold and can't taste anything--so I'm using my regular desktop vape ('Cano) until I can give the Pax a real run. In the meantime, it looks nice! All the lights seem to work, it charges, and I like the feel of it. This may sound obvious but if it works, I'm sure I'll be very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom