Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplekush604

That is almost an impossible question. It depends on your needs, where you will be using it, how high your tolerance is among other things. If you state your needs maybe someone can point you in the right direction. What one person loves another hates. I have learned it is the nature of this vape world.

You have to balance it all out. There is no point in the most discreet vape if it doesn't medicate you.

Basiclly something that doesnt look like im getting high with, and something that doesnt smell, thats a must. And i agree would balance it out, probably by the pax, but need something else as well.

purplekush604,

Zangano Cruel

IG zan.cru (code) zancru (5% NV checkout discount)
Basiclly something that doesnt look like im getting high with, and something that doesnt smell, thats a must. And i agree would balance it out, probably by the pax, but need something else as well.
Maybe you need to go the edibles like someone suggested before. Yours is really utopic at the very moment :huh:

Zangano Cruel,
Reactions: t-dub

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Basiclly something that doesnt look like im getting high with, and something that doesnt smell, thats a must.
Maybe you need to go the edibles like someone suggested before. Yours is really utopic at the very moment :huh:

The more actives you "liberate" the more "smell" you create. Just like "burning rubber" with a car. The more particles you aerosolize the more "actives" others can perceive. Stealth is airflow management :peace:

t-dub,
Reactions: willieR

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Well.... guess I'm stuck waiting on a Pax as I've just been informed that Ploom won't be sending any to PV until December which doesn't make any sense considering I can order direct to Canada from Ploom today (but wish to continue to support my local vendor).

Oh well..... guess it's a sad panda day :(

smokum,

BlazedRunner

run high
Has anyone tried poking small holes into the "screen" or making a new one out of a perforated sheet or mesh?

I am unsatisfied with how easily the mouthpiece gets stuck on my Pax. I don't even use it that much. Even after cleaning, the mouthpiece doesn't slide so well and sometimes gets stuck in the off position. It really takes away from the initial impression one has of the Pax as an elegant device, which it is either way. But keeping that mouthpiece gliding smoothly should be a top priority for the designers. Is there some kind of lubricant that would be safe to use? Can I use a silicon lubricant?

BlazedRunner,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I'm still having bad issues with the temp light. Yesterday I pulled out a bunch of gunk from the mouthpiece but that didn't seem to fix the issue. Sometimes just sitting in there it goes to temp light. Also, I cleaned the outside tube of the mouthpiece. No difference. I'll contact Ploom today and see what they say.

newVaper420,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Has anyone tried poking small holes into the "screen" or making a new one out of a perforated sheet or mesh?

Why would you do this? If you think you can improve the airflow, think again. Better yet, do this: pop out the screen and draw on your Pax with nothing at all in the oven.

pakalolo,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I'm still getting temp light with both mouth pieces too. I try "actuating" it each use, while warm, and of course have been trying to keep it as clean as possible. I was hoping to see this fix itself. We'll just have to see if it gets worse. I got stuck on med light for a few mins yesterday. It is clearly some kind of bad contact, but I don't know where that contact is exactly (I know the general location), or if I can clean it.

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I am also experiencing the temp light issue with one of my Pax's. Got new mouthpiece but that didn't fix it. Oddly, it's my newer one, the original one is working fine.

I can still use it and yeah lol...I was hoping it would fix itself too ;) A girl can dream ROFL!! My stuck temp button fixed itself so, who knows. I keep hoping with each cleaning the issue will go away. Who knows. I do know support has been wonderful so I don't worry if I do need to send it in at some point.

Still digging the heck out of these things! Took one to Uproar Fest and even my sister sitting right next to me had no idea I was using it till I gave her a cluepon.

rsqemt911

My friend just got the pax a few days ago and I am hooked. I went out and bought one myself yesterday. It is the PERFECT pocket vape. Small, large chamber, easy to use. Fast recharge.

I made a few of those cleaning tools last night and they work great! Just don't put 2 of them in the mouth piece or it jams. Found out the hard way. But was able to fix it.

rsqemt911,

idrivepie

I'm still getting temp light with both mouth pieces too. I try "actuating" it each use, while warm, and of course have been trying to keep it as clean as possible. I was hoping to see this fix itself. We'll just have to see if it gets worse. I got stuck on med light for a few mins yesterday. It is clearly some kind of bad contact, but I don't know where that contact is exactly (I know the general location), or if I can clean it.

Hey, I just got my Pax and I'm experiencing the EXACT SAME problems. To be more specific, here's my take on the situation.

The new mouthpiece just ain't right. According to b00bs, his Pax mouthpiece is completely firm and he has an earlier batch one. I contacted Pax support the first day after I talk with b00bs and I got one of the worst CS experiences of my life haha. The rep told me to go buy a new mouthpiece if I think it might cause problems. I asked if he/she could confirm with one of their Pax's that it jiggles a ton and they said no, they don't have any to test with.

I mean, I don't mean to sound like I have a brain, by why doesn't PLOOM compare and see for themselves and let me know if their mouthpieces exhibit the same issues I have so I can either, 1. get my mouthpiece replaced if my symptoms seem unusual or 2. be rest assured that my Pax is normal. How does the CS agent not have access to a Pax to let me know?

After a week, this shit starts happening. The mouthpiece starts exhibiting all the problems I list below. The only way to fix this is if you clean the mouthpiece tip (the connector) and you clean the metal vapor chamber outside with iso, the Pax will work PERFECT. Brand new, no joke. The mouthpiece will still jiggle, but it won't cause any interference with the device use.

So, I've seemed to find a temporary solution. It looks like the mouthpiece gets messed up by resin the most, espicially when it gets on the outside of the tip of the vapor chamber. I can easily wipe it off with a q-tip and iso and be done. But, I risk the chance of messing up my temp button (which is another wtf). Also, the goopy resin will start to appear after 4 sessions of about .4-.5. This is simply too much maintenance for my taste; I seriously think there's a design flaw with the (new batch of) mouthpiece(s).

Described symptoms: of (new) mouthpiece:

Mouthpiece won't pop up:
-Mouthpiece will stay in the down position and require fingernails to pry out, or eventually over 5 min it'll loosen up and slowly creep up.

Mouthpiece pops up, but not correctly (smoothly):
-Very slowly pops up (creeps up, takes 3-5 sec), something is clearly holding it back
-Sometimes incredibly jerky, sometimes will dislodge when it comes up.
-If it does eventually pop up, there is bad contact to a point where the Pax thinks the mouthpiece is completely dislodged and the temperature light will be on, even though the mouthpiece is actually still in the Pax, but popped up.
-If it comes up, jiggling the mouthpiece (but not dislodging it) ill cause the Pax to think it's disconnected and in temp change mode. This is really annoying because when I'm mid-hit if I press my lips in any direction, the mouthpiece will jiggle and contact will be lost.

Mouthpiece shoots out of Pax
-Quite literally, it'll just fly right off the Pax into the air. No, I'm not trying to make it do it like I did in 6th grade with ball point pens and their springs. :D

idrivepie,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I've been wondering if little fibers from the pipe cleaners are getting down in the small spaces around the out side of the tube where the mouthpiece connects inside the pax. I noticed on several occasions as I was cleaning, that fibers would collect as I pushed the pipe cleaner into the air path, scrape off from the edge of the tube and collect around the top as I pull the pipe cleaner through. I would blow them out, but I don't know if any are getting down where the spring mechanism goes.

idrivepie:

You are having the same experience as many of us, with your mouthpiece. They are a bit jiggly, that is normal, as far as I can tell, esp. the newer design. Not sure I can say anything that will make you feel better about it. I hope Pax can figure out the main issue here, and fix us all up. They must be fully aware of it by now with so many of us contacting them over the same issue.

jambandphan03,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
That was what I was asking the other day and boobs said no. It really does apply to all vapes so that is why I asked. Maybe a better grade of pipe cleaners. I know when I clean hot it seems to me that it can leave residue from the q or pipe. I still wonder but as my words say under my avatar...always in a state of confusion.

Dreamerr,

idrivepie

jamb, I haven't lost all hope. Cause when the Pax is working right, it's a beast :D

It really looks like the new batch is effected by all this.

idrivepie,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
So I contacted Ploom myself, and this was the solution:

"It sounds like the internal sensor is not making adequate electrical contact with your mouthpiece. This issue is best resolved by cleaning.

After cleaning your Pax in whatever method you typically use, saturate the mouthpiece stem with isopropyl alcohol (though not so much that it is dripping) and replace it inside the device. Cycle the mouthpiece up and down a dozen or so times. This should help dissolve some gunk that may be around the spring. Additionally, you can use a pipe cleaner to scrub the outer rim of the vapor path where the sensor is located. Take care to avoid getting iso on or around the temperature control button as this may cause issues. Allow your Pax to dry before use. The electrical connection should be restored."

This sounds like a WTF? I have to SATURATE my mouthpiece, but make sure it's not dripping, and then stick it in the tube without touching the Temp button? Am I playing the board game Operation?

I'll give this a shot later tonight and see what's up.

Oh well, still love my Pax. Wish it didn't have these issues.

willieR

Been here since 2009
I would clean the mouthpiece thoroughly before using it as a de-gunker.

Fot those out there (the Dude, JoeKA or VapeNazi) who have opened these units, is this cleaning / inspecting easier with the guts removed?

willieR,

bluesurfboy

Pax is pretty much one of the most discreet, but the Inhalater and the Thermovape T1 are also in the smaller class of potables. There is also the DaVinci. You can search the forum for "portable" and see all the threads that come up.

Well, i must say the advantage the pax has over those vapes is just that, ive used it a couple times now in multiple public areas, bars, and in downtown. and it was no problem going through 8-10 hits (one heat setting cycle for me) and no one would really even look over my way as long as you werent intentionally trying to attract attention with clouds.

And the smell really isnt bad after the few first good tasty hits.

I think most people just thought i had an mp3 player or something, its way too damn sleek to be thought of as a smoking device, unlike those all the other vapes, even the nicer ones look suspicious, but the pax is just different..

willieR

Been here since 2009
I agree. While a vape like the LB might be smaller, it looks like a smoking device. And because of how the Pax works, it needs to stay level, so you have to palm it if you want to be discreet. The Pax, especially the black one, just blends in as a piece of electronics or such. It does not have to be kept level and so can be more discreetly puffed on.

willieR,

bluesurfboy

Hey, I just got my Pax and I'm experiencing the EXACT SAME problems. To be more specific, here's my take on the situation.

The new mouthpiece just ain't right. According to b00bs, his Pax mouthpiece is completely firm and he has an earlier batch one. I contacted Pax support the first day after I talk with b00bs and I got one of the worst CS experiences of my life haha. The rep told me to go buy a new mouthpiece if I think it might cause problems. I asked if he/she could confirm with one of their Pax's that it jiggles a ton and they said no, they don't have any to test with.

I mean, I don't mean to sound like I have a brain, by why doesn't PLOOM compare and see for themselves and let me know if their mouthpieces exhibit the same issues I have so I can either, 1. get my mouthpiece replaced if my symptoms seem unusual or 2. be rest assured that my Pax is normal. How does the CS agent not have access to a Pax to let me know?

After a week, this shit starts happening. The mouthpiece starts exhibiting all the problems I list below. The only way to fix this is if you clean the mouthpiece tip (the connector) and you clean the metal vapor chamber outside with iso, the Pax will work PERFECT. Brand new, no joke. The mouthpiece will still jiggle, but it won't cause any interference with the device use.

So, I've seemed to find a temporary solution. It looks like the mouthpiece gets messed up by resin the most, espicially when it gets on the outside of the tip of the vapor chamber. I can easily wipe it off with a q-tip and iso and be done. But, I risk the chance of messing up my temp button (which is another wtf). Also, the goopy resin will start to appear after 4 sessions of about .4-.5. This is simply too much maintenance for my taste; I seriously think there's a design flaw with the (new batch of) mouthpiece(s).

Described symptoms: of (new) mouthpiece:

Mouthpiece won't pop up:
-Mouthpiece will stay in the down position and require fingernails to pry out, or eventually over 5 min it'll loosen up and slowly creep up.

Mouthpiece pops up, but not correctly (smoothly):
-Very slowly pops up (creeps up, takes 3-5 sec), something is clearly holding it back
-Sometimes incredibly jerky, sometimes will dislodge when it comes up.
-If it does eventually pop up, there is bad contact to a point where the Pax thinks the mouthpiece is completely dislodged and the temperature light will be on, even though the mouthpiece is actually still in the Pax, but popped up.
-If it comes up, jiggling the mouthpiece (but not dislodging it) ill cause the Pax to think it's disconnected and in temp change mode. This is really annoying because when I'm mid-hit if I press my lips in any direction, the mouthpiece will jiggle and contact will be lost.

Mouthpiece shoots out of Pax
-Quite literally, it'll just fly right off the Pax into the air. No, I'm not trying to make it do it like I did in 6th grade with ball point pens and their springs. :D

It sounds like you needs to clean your piece a bit more frequently than you are.

For me, after doing it two times, its very quick for me, you will get used to it, and it becoming quicker.

I do agree there is a bit of maintenance to it, but its fully portable, and easy to clean, not to mention one of the most efficient/thorough if you know how to use the pax

bluesurfboy,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
So I contacted Ploom myself, and this was the solution:

"It sounds like the internal sensor is not making adequate electrical contact with your mouthpiece. This issue is best resolved by cleaning.

After cleaning your Pax in whatever method you typically use, saturate the mouthpiece stem with isopropyl alcohol (though not so much that it is dripping) and replace it inside the device. Cycle the mouthpiece up and down a dozen or so times. This should help dissolve some gunk that may be around the spring. Additionally, you can use a pipe cleaner to scrub the outer rim of the vapor path where the sensor is located. Take care to avoid getting iso on or around the temperature control button as this may cause issues. Allow your Pax to dry before use. The electrical connection should be restored."

This sounds like a WTF? I have to SATURATE my mouthpiece, but make sure it's not dripping, and then stick it in the tube without touching the Temp button? Am I playing the board game Operation?

I'll give this a shot later tonight and see what's up.

Oh well, still love my Pax. Wish it didn't have these issues.

They must be doing a copy paste, that was the exact reply I got on one of my times contacting CS chat...

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

dudeeitsbrian

It sounds like you needs to clean your piece a bit more frequently than you are.

For me, after doing it two times, its very quick for me, you will get used to it, and it becoming quicker.

I do agree there is a bit of maintenance to it, but its fully portable, and easy to clean, not to mention one of the most efficient/thorough if you know how to use the pax
nah, with the new mouthpiece is has absolutely nothing to do with clean. i haven't cleaned either of my pax's since i got the new mouthpieces and both are still working 100% perfectly, no temperature light issues, no sticking mouthpieces issues, no issues at all. i should also mention i received the new mouthpieces september 14th, so that's 13 days so far without cleaning with heavy use and have not experienced any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom