Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
SliM...did youever try multiple sessions with one load or did I miss your post on it?

I think you might have. It was back on Page 14. Let me know if that is sufficient?

Here I quoted it:

Oh shoot I knew I was forgetting something. Here is what I think about that. I think it is possible. The 2nd session is going not going to taste as good as the first. You will not have that amazingly fresh taste and it will turn to the ABV taste sooner in the 2nd session. It should work though. I plan on testing this out tomorrow. I have a Men's Chorus thing to go to. I will load one bowl and see if I can use it during right before it starts and during the intermission. I could easily take 3-7 hits off the device and turn it off. Then I could finish the rest of the session later.

I have taken a 2-3 hits off a fresh oven right before going in to a restaurant. Then when I got back in the car, I finished the session. I could see someone taking 1-2 hits at a time throughout the day to continue a their medicating. As you go through the day though the taste would progress from Fresh to ABV, although I think people expect that right?

Slightly Medicated,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Over some of the other portable I would. I might still try and find a spot where I can stand under and overhang. I feel like the PAX would fair better in the rain then the DaVinci. It is more closed in design. Less area for the water to leak in. I imagine you could also close the unit around your hands to help keep it more dry.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Benny Lava

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Any thoughts yet about the "smell factor" (smell when loaded, but not yet used; smell after being used, and then put in your pocket for later; smell after cleaning it well with iso, and maybe replacing the screen).

Thanks!

Haywood,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I have been thinking about this question Haywood. It deserves a long well thought out answer. I currently don't have the whole answer formed in a way that feels acceptable to me yet. That is party because smell can be so "subjective" and what might not smell to you might reek to someone else.

I have some questions for you that will also help me answer in terms of what would work best for you as well. Do you like to load your flowers into the device and carry it around, or do you prefer to use a secondary storage container (like a airtight key chain pill bottle) and transfer your flowers to your device at the time you wish to medicate? Do you empty your flowers/ABV immediately after every session, or do you let it sit in there till the next time you go to use it and then clean/empty? Do you want to carry the device in your pocket, or in a bag of some kind that is then in your pocket? Those changes in the process can affect smell.

I can answer really quickly about the smell after cleaning it well with 99% ISO. I found the smell diminished to the point that it smelt new. I was pleased with how well you could clean all the parts that come in to contact with the vapor.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Tim

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Do you like to load your flowers into the device and carry it around, or do you prefer to use a secondary storage container (like a airtight key chain pill bottle) and transfer your flowers to your device at the time you wish to medicate? Do you empty your flowers/ABV immediately after every session, or do you let it sit in there till the next time you go to use it and then clean/empty? Do you want to carry the device in your pocket, or in a bag of some kind that is then in your pocket? Those changes in the process can affect smell.

I can answer really quickly about the smell after cleaning it well with 99% ISO. I found the smell diminished to the point that it smelt new. I was pleased with how well you could clean all the parts that come in to contact with the vapor.

The answer to most of the questions is "both", but I completely understand why you're asking. It certainly depends on the circumstance. I will most likely be carrying the Pax in a little kit, the same way I currently carry my T1 /Evo. The kit contains a sealed container for herb, and iso and Q-Tips and toothpicks and mouthpieces, and a million or so batteries :) . The T1/Evo is usually pre-loaded, and I also cap the top, so there is no odor in the kit at all. When I want to vape, I take it out of my kit, and put it in my pocket, and carry it wherever I'm going to use it. When I finish off a load, and there's no circumstantial reason not to, I'll dump the ABV on the spot, but I probably won't clean it. If I don't finish off a load, then of course the partial load stays in the vaporizer. I carry my vape in my pocket when it's partially loaded, and when it's empty, I clean and re-load it, and either put it back in my kit, or my pocket. I would not like to have to carry the Pax in a bag in my pocket. I was thinking that thin plastic caps for the top and bottom might keep the Pax "airtight" enough.

The reason that I've been asking so much about the "smell factor" is because of my experience with the Thermovape and MFLB. My herbs have been extremely stinky the past year or so (I'm not complaining, just observing), both raw and when vaped or burned. My friends can all tell when I open the sealed container in my kit, and they can all smell the vapor easily. The saving grace with the Thermovapes is that they don't reek on their own (at least with the mouthpiece capped). So I can carry it around, whether freshly loaded or half used.

I am glad to hear that once you clean the Pax, it's like brand new, at least in terms of smell. I also find your observation about how you get a little of the "smoking a joint" feeling very encouraging; I miss that part. Keep up the good work! :tup:

Here's a picture of my kit with the Evo:

Kit.png

Haywood,

Adobewan

If all else fails, consider adding snack size zip-lock bag to your set up. Once a session's complete, toss the Pax into the zip, before stowing in your pocket, to transport smell free till you're back to your kit.
Sorry if someone has offered that up already.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I am like you my flowers have been rather pungent. When you open up my pill bottle if can smell up the car in seconds. If you stick your nose up to the PAX filled with flowers and sniff, you can smell something "funky" inside. I keep mine in my front shirt pocket. I ask others and they claim they can't smell. Again it is all subjective... I might be around people who don't gave a good since of smell. When it is heating up you can smell the oven filled with flowers more. It is comparable to the DaVinci. After you use the device the smell subsides rather quickly. The device cools down pretty quickly. I would say the odor from the PAX actually subsides quicker then the DaVinci. It is really only while heat is being applied that you can smell the flowers much. It feels in line with other portables though.

The PAX is much better then the MFLB in terms of ambient odor when not in use. I think the ThermoVape might be the best because you can get the caps for the ends and it is pretty much air tight then. I feel the way you want to carry the device around will be fine in terms of smell factor. The hardest part will be finding some sort of cap that fits over the ends of the PAX. Another option is to use a pouch like that, but place the PAX inside a plastic bag of some kind and then put it inside that bag. Personally, With regular cleaning I don't have any problem carrying it around in my front shirt pocket. Proactive cleaning is really the key to smell with any portable. I try and medicate in the car or a private place. I don't like to risk it like some poeple do and medicate in a very public location.

I was trying to compare the airflow of the PAX to the Solo and Davinci. I did a session with all three at once. The PAX air flow is somewhere between a Solo and a DaVinci. The DaVinci has almost effortless air flow. The PAX feels like a really well packed 1.5 gram joint. The Solo reminds me of sucking on a milkshake.

Tim

Sounds great, SM. The Pax is probably going take over my DV's outdoor duties.

Tim,
Oh no Janet! Sorry your device broke. I was wondering how you guys were going to charge it with the power conversion stuff. I broke cell phone when I was over there trying to charge back in 2003. I always find it interesting that each area of the world has different power requirements/restrictions.

I hope you were finding the experience similar to what I have been reporting so far. I hope they are getting you another version so you can keep testing?

Thanks for the video compliments. Keep us updated. :)

Yeah thank goodness we are getting a new one. Even though we should have been more careful with the correct voltage. Ah well there is always a lesson to be learned.

We didn't get much of a chance to test it fully.

Good thing is that you got the FC members covered with your vids.

weedemon

enthusiast
Ever tried grinding the abv up half way through the session? maybe you wouldn't need to go to high heat then? i prefer sticking to the lower temperatures if i can :) the harshness that comes with high heat is not enjoyable for me. but if that's what i gotta do for proper extraction... then it's what i do. :)

weedemon,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Good review! Very informative and well produced as well. Benny, is this your video or was it from another source?
:peace:

Bluntcrush,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Ever tried grinding the abv up half way through the session? maybe you wouldn't need to go to high heat then? i prefer sticking to the lower temperatures if i can :) the harshness that comes with high heat is not enjoyable for me. but if that's what i gotta do for proper extraction... then it's what i do. :)

I have never tried to re-grind... I have never been able to bring myself to do that... not sure why.

About TheBestVaporizer review. His experience pretty much matches mine. Not sure why he says he can't get very big draws... my videos show otherwise. He is right about the resistance. I don't think it is as much as the Solo though. I consider it on the level of a well packed joint. That might turn off some poeple though.

I am glad his experience kind of mirrors mine.... good to know I am not crazy ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBestVaporizer?feature=watch

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Bluntcrush
I have never tried to re-grind... I have never been able to bring myself to do that... not sure why.

About TheBestVaporizer review. His experience pretty much matches mine. Not sure why he says he can't get very big draws... my videos show otherwise. He is right about the resistance. I don't think it is as much as the Solo though. I consider it on the level of a well packed joint. That might turn off some poeple though.

I am glad his experience kind of mirrors mine.... good to know I am not crazy ;)

:spliff:

Futuretvowner,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I had an interesting exchange with my partner about the smell. My DaVinci and my PAX had both been used about twice since their last cleaning. I had a oven loaded in the PAX, and the DaVinci was empty. I held both up to his nose and asked him which smelled more. He said the DaVinci smelled more... even though it was empty.

The PAX starts to smell once you turn it on. It is the smell of the conduction. I don't think it is anything more then most other portable vaporizers though.

Does anyone know if these will end up for sale on Amazon? I've got sooo much Amazon store credit from selling textbooks to them. Otherwise I may end up picking up a VaporBlunt

KimJongTrill,

ACE OF VAPE

Vape outside the box
Manufacturer
Does anyone know if these will end up for sale on Amazon? I've got sooo much Amazon store credit from selling textbooks to them. Otherwise I may end up picking up a VaporBlunt
Yes, they'll be on Amazon as soon as they are available to the public

ACE OF VAPE,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Really looking forward to it's release and further reviews following mainstream use as the esthetics are appealing to me !

Just wish it would come as a variable voltage for a little more heat range choices through the process.

smokum,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I'm a little leery of that dudes comments about "weak vapor". I really want a stealthy portable I can carry with a not lot of smell, no separate containers for meds or to store a smelly vaporizer. BUT, I want it to give me nice hits. I am not looking for "Cloud" type hits, but I also don't have 10 minutes to breath a certain way, etc. I want it in my pocket and I want to take it out and take a hit or 2 to re-up my medical state quickly. Maybe this is not for me?

Tstat,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom