Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronickidd

First time poster here...

Picked up the PAX to replace my clapped out Iolite Wispr unit. Funny enough, I found out about the PAX in early August from a Google side ad.
Compared to the Wispr, I like the fact that it's battery powered and totally silent. I also think the battery lasts longer than one butane charge in the Wispr. The cinder box on the PAX is larger than the bowl on the Wispr for better or for worse. As another poster said, it would be nice if Ploom came out with another box end with a "shim" so the box could be tightly packed but with half of what you can put in there now.
I have had a couple problems. My heat level button is now stuck and through the vendor, I'm working on an exchange. Maybe with some more cleaning, it will free up. I've also had some mouthpiece / switch problems.
After reading through this thread some and experiencing both, there are two problems which can arise with the mouth piece. The first one I experienced was the mouthpiece refusing to pop up. I could tell by it's extremely slow action that it was gummed up. I took it apart, cleaned it with some 91% ISO and she worked like new.
The second problem happened when we were out on the town and the mouthpiece again wouldn't pop up but this was shortly after cleaning it and it was different than the first time. When I'd press down on the piece, it would snap and click assertively but I simply couldn't get it to pop up. After shaking it while pressing the button azillion times, it FINALLY popped up. I proceeded to re clean the entire vape but this time I paid close attention to trying to get close to the actual spring mechanism and all parts that the spring touches.
With a saturated Q-Tip, I placed a couple drops around the tube in the PAX which the mouthpiece fits in to. Then I got a small flexible plastic tooth pick and slid it around the outside of the tube. If you push down there, you can engage the spring. I went all the way around the tube a couple of times with a couple of more drops of ISO and put her back together. She's been working fine ever since.
Maybe my story will help someone else down the road.
i wonder with all the mouth piece problems.. could it be a simple mouth clip replacement?

kronickidd,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Hi Folks..
Long time lurker.. first time poster... i see that the mouth piece and the battery are the top two concerns of a purchaser like me.... From all the big time players on this board i can see the passion for this "pockitable" unit. i decided to buy one on friday... but its F#$%#$ sold out every where... =( any ways folks.. i still went for a back order and got all the accessories. will hope to be able to add to the positive feed back that every one here has been able to contribute. stay up

If you don't mind blue, there are still blue ones available now at http://www.ploom.com/pax I just ordered one last night. I actually plan to wrap mine with some commercial sign vinyl sticker material I have, that is holographic... that is if I decide I don't care for the blue, who knows, I might like it. Really wanted purple though...

jambandphan03,

kronickidd

already preordered an onyx from VW... i need the black for stealth... the cobalt is a rich color which i really like, but is also a magnet for unnecessary attention.

kronickidd,

kronickidd

Of all the dead on arrivals , or ones that needed to be sent back... what color primarily was having the most issues?

kronickidd,

Jonah Hex

I picked up my onyx Pax at Hempfest in Seattle the other weekend from the Vapeworld booth. (they had 4 booths there) They had a few cases of them at each booth in all 3 colors selling for $250 each.
Spoke to Aaron there who told me about this oven door tip. Says they were all sitting around discussing the Pax and someone there suggested cracking open the oven door slightly to get more airflow. They all agreed it worked great when they did this. I haven't found the need to do so with mine, but tried it and it does work well if desired. Sure beats drilling holes in the oven lid as I saw a few mention in this thread to get the same effect. :D
Must say that I am very happy with mine.

Great overview.
Again, using my pax for a few weeks and I absolutely love it. So glad I went with the Pax

I have a couple comments:

So we came up with this, crack the oven door very slightly by rocking it to one side, this allows just a little bit more fresh air in for an easier hit and then close it back up. I'm talking 1mm or so, just so one side of the bottom is just slightly higher than the bottom of the pax, like this.

That is how my friend's oven door makes the PAX feel like to me.

So I am going to contact Ploom and see if they will send me over a new lid, otherwise I'm going to buy one just to see of there is a difference.

But who's is correct...mine with the very restrictive draw or his with a more 'free flowing' hit? Dont get me wrong, mine is perfectly fine, I am not complaining at all, I get very medicated with this thing I just prefer the easier draw.

Jonah Hex,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
yeah that was my first thought about the blue too, but since I have black holographic vinyl sticker I can wrap over it, I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal for me to do. It will protect the finish, and look awesome yet still stealthy. I'll post pics if I end up covering it up with the vinyl.

FYI kronickidd, you can click the "edit" button under your post so you don't have to mulitple post in a thread, you will get mod attention if you keep doing that. Just a heads up for ya...:D

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

JoeKickass

Of all the dead on arrivals , or ones that needed to be sent back... what color primarily was having the most issues?

Underneath the colored shell, the Pax's are exactly the same so it should make zero difference.

I don't think we've had any dead on arrivals? Just a few sticky mouthpieces...

I actually just experienced this, I was surprised because the ring on my mouthpiece looks clean but sure enough it had some resistance, time for first cleaning in like 2 weeks.

JoeKickass,

willieR

Been here since 2009
once i get it i'm going to mod the battery in my current one, found some panasonic 3100mAh batteries with solder tabs already spot welded to the batteries, so it should be quite easy to solder it into the Pax :)

if all goes well i might consider buying one of the newer 3400mAh panasonic batteries, however i'm quite wary about soldering directly to a li-ion battery.

How about conductive epoxy?

willieR,

Anjey

I'll mention my experience mainly with the mouthpiece;

Upon arrival, it was stuck in that it would submerge and rise but could not be lifted off to change the temperature.

Three days later, the mouthpiece suddenly came off and I was subsequently able to both push it back in and change the temperature setting, with full functionality.

However, when the mouthpiece was fully extended, the purple/green that you would expect would not show - the yellow/orange/red temp indicator would instead. I figured out that I'd have to hold the mouthpiece slightly in to compensate and connect the mechanism, which is a pain of course; when you're passing it around or just chilling on it and the piece is constantly having to be pushed in, is reheating and stopping to heat constantly, which drains battery, an overall misfortune.

I contacted Ploom and received replacement mouthpieces (again, excellent customers service on Plooms part.) These now work great. I have small caveat, which is that now when I press in the spring (slowly, gently, carefully, one click) it occasionally literally pops up and off. I have not had much time for trial and error with this new mouthpiece, but assume it to be a minor issue that will repair itself.

Either way the device, with the mouthpiece on, now works exactly as it should - superbly. I really like the metaphor someone used earlier in this thread, if I were having problems like this with a beautiful woman, I would smile through them and continued making sweet love to her as often as I so desired. The Pax; a similar device.

Ah, I should also mention two things - In regard to my earlier post, I apologize for the font. I copy pasted it and did not notice, and one thing I loath is when people write in different fonts/colors in their posts.

Finally, as far as cleaning (cleaning and mouthpiece I see as the two weakest points so far) I am a lazy college kid. While some here have claimed that they can go weeks of 4-6 times daily vaping without having to clean, I do not recommend this. When I was having all of my mouthpiece issues, I developed the habit of cleaning which is quick, simple, and efficient, and I feel certainly optimizes.

Anjey,

dudeeitsbrian

How about conductive epoxy?
personally, sounds like the easy way out and i'm not looking for shortcuts... soldering will provide a permanent solution, which is what i'm going for.

for more information about why you shouldn't use conductive epoxy, read here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/sci.electronics.design/lXh1TppTMFk

a few of the main reasons....

1.) not a permanent solution, soldering will provide a permanent connection.
2.) epoxy will let off a smell/gas? when heated, which as they said on that link is not very healthy. i believe it, and know for a fact solder is not going to outgas on me...

if you're going to try to mod a $250 device, do it right, don't take shortcuts.

then again, that is an old conversation, however i'm still using solder :)

edit: another link: http://www.circuitnet.com/experts/40095.shtml

-claims "weaker electrical flow" through an connection made with conductive epoxy
-conductive epoxy costs more

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
I try to at least clean the mouthpiece every 4 oven loads (before every charge) now. I used to clean every two charges but yesterday it took a bunch of presses for it to come back up. The herb I have now seems to be producing more resin than the two different strains I ran through it before.

tranceporter,

dudeeitsbrian

just got my 3100mAh battery with tabs already spot welded on, soldered it into my pax and the device seems to be working, however when i turn it on it flashed red 3 times, on the charger now, hoping for the best :D

edit: after being on the charger for 2 minutes i can remove the device and it actually heats up as it should, after i fully charge it i'm going to begin testing to see how long this new battery lasts.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
it would be great if someone made a video or took pictures of the battery exchange in the Pax. In the solo thread, there was a step by step photo instructions some one did of the battery replacement, sure made it easy to understand/follow.

out of curiosity, why the battery swap? was the first one already used up? or were you just curious to see if you can improve battery life in use?

jambandphan03,
Reactions: ilovebOObs

dudeeitsbrian

it would be great if someone made a video or took pictures of the battery exchange in the Pax. In the solo thread, there was a step by step photo instructions some one did of the battery replacement, sure made it easy to understand/follow.

out of curiosity, why the battery swap? was the first one already used up? or were you just curious to see if you can improve battery life in use?
maybe if i upgrade the battery again in the future i would create a tutorial, now that i've done it once myself honestly i can say the hardest part will be not messing up the rubber bands seals; i did happen to ruin one of the two during my battery swap.

i performed the swap simply because i'm a nerd and want to make this device work as best i possibly can, already ordered a second pax that will be here wednesday so i will still have one pax with the warranty :)

i'm planning on using the one with the improved battery while i'm not at the house, and keeping the unmodified one at home.

This is my first post so I am probably going to noob it up. I just ordered the Cobalt Pax today. I have been reading/lurking on this board since this summer when I stumbled upon the Pax and just wanted to say thank you to all you posters. I was a bit hesitant on getting a Pax at first with the few problems it has but it looks like you guy have got the cleaning issues down. Now if anyone needs me I will be camped out in front of my mailbox for the next few days waiting for the mailman.

Adobewan

Careful now, this process of buying, stalking, waiting, etc. can be addictive...you've been warned.
I know yo're kidding Jam, but I wonder sometimes about how strongly that process dominates my thoughts. I've woken, thinking about a package due to arrive. We are such consumers as a species, it seems written in our DNA.
New (non-BS)vape on FC->Ear's perked->Must buy->Gleeful/trepidatious ordering->Stalking/waiting->Thrilling arrival->Enthusiastic unpacking->Lustful caresses->Bond thru use->...Back on to FC to see what the next awesome piece will be.

Truly a first-world problem!
Save me from myself.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
... actually, I wasn't kidding. Maybe said with humor, but it's true, mine started back when I was first getting into e cigs, trying to make them work for herb. I was ordering, stalking, etc in no time... haha:lol: ...but really I think there is something to the process that is a bit addictive. I really don't want to pull this page off topic too bad, so I will end this with: I am still stalking my inbox for the PAX shipping notice... hoping to see that soon ;)

dudeeitsbrian

upgraded pax just finished charging for the first time, took exactly 1 hour 37 minutes. now starting to keep track of how long the battery lasts :)

edit: wow, just vaped two ovens back to back, very medicated now :D

first impression of the new battery is that it seems to heat up to temperature faster, next time i'll actually time how long it takes to get up to temperature as well as the length of the session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom