Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drastic

Vape4Life
Just used Pax with cover off for a session. The leads on the ribbon cable to the oven get pretty hot and the board at the bottom gets a little warm on the transistors from it. The plastic on the ribbon cable heating is the slight smell/taste I get if drawing through the whole unit not just through the mouthpiece. It smells just a little bit, no visible vapor and there is no way for it to get into the air-path, just don't draw through the unit with the mouthpiece closed or removed.

KRnoS

Just used Pax with cover off for a session. The leads on the ribbon cable to the oven get pretty hot and the board at the bottom gets a little warm on the transistors from it. The plastic on the ribbon cable heating is the slight smell/taste I get if drawing through the whole unit not just through the mouthpiece. It smells just a little bit, no visible vapor and there is no way for it to get into the air-path, just don't draw through the unit with the mouthpiece closed or removed.

Don't draw on the unit with the mouthpiece closed?! When I finish a session I always close the mouth piece and suck through there to get all the leftover vapor and stuff in the pathway. Looks like I'll stop doing that!

KRnoS,

lokey

i wonder, don't have a pax yet, but after a session, could you close it up, then crack the oven lid and draw briefly through that? That would have the added benefit of cooling the oven off immediately...

lokey,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
I don't completely understand, I have been cooling the oven after ever session with the mouthpiece in and a few draws while it is still producing vapor at heat. Are you saying you believe the vapor path is not continuous ss when it is closed? Look down your pax, all I see is stainless steel. All the clips and retainers and spring are on the outside but should still be out of vapor path with a closed mouthpiece no? Am I missing something and should not get that last two hits with mouthpiece closed as unit cools down?

kushcabbage,
Reactions: darkrom

HSIHP

I don't completely understand, I have been cooling the oven after ever session with the mouthpiece in and a few draws while it is still producing vapor at heat. Are you saying you believe the vapor path is not continuous ss when it is closed? Look down your pax, all I see is stainless steel. All the clips and retainers and spring are on the outside but should still be out of vapor path with a closed mouthpiece no? Am I missing something and should not get that last two hits with mouthpiece closed as unit cools down?

I think he means, don't put your mouth over the entire unit. I think keeping a seal around the mouthpiece would be fine though.

willieR

Been here since 2009
Regarding battery changing, I'd think cutting the wires at the battery end, while leaving the PCB intact would be a good goal. That's do-able, right? Or is the wire too short?

Then the question is how best to mechanically attach the wire to the battery. If you didn't want to rely on the pressure of the container to maintain the connection.

willieR,

JoeKickass

Regarding battery changing, I'd think cutting the wires at the battery end, while leaving the PCB intact would be a good goal. That's do-able, right? Or is the wire too short?

Then the question is how best to mechanically attach the wire to the battery. If you didn't want to rely on the pressure of the container to maintain the connection.

Yeah the easiest & safest would be to leave the wires connected to the pcb. The wires are connected to metal tabs which are spot welded to the battery. If you can cut under the metal tab and break the welds without breaking the metal tabs you should be able to reuse them. Then maybe just tape them to the new battery? It is pretty tight in there... but soldering or a conductive epoxy would be better...

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Does the party mode make the unit run hotter? I tried it yesterday and seemed like it did. Maybe I was just vaked...

Tstat,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Party mode doesn't change the temp (or it's not supposed to, at least).

And yes, you were vaked ;)

Vapinghole,

vakedcow

Gentle cow vaper and halloween kiddo
Hi, first thanks for this awesome thread and all it's tip's.
My wife wasn't happy with the Aromed and MFLB, just not convenient enough (think WAF) :brow:

I had one send to Switzerland with a Mail forwarding service ... as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Got a fitting power supply thanks to descriptions ... that were mentioned earlier in this thread.
Packed the PAX thight and we were taken by awe ... as mentioned earlier in this thread. :lol:
THANKS a lot guys, my wife loves her new plaything :love:
And I, for once, gave her a useful gadget as Birthday present :rofl:

Vaked "Mooooow" from Switzerland to all of ya

I've browsed the thread but I haven't seen any pictures, if there are any, comparing the ABV at the different heater levels. Could somebody do a pre and post pic(s) please?

VapingLobster,

iowcatalyst

That is an excellent question and I don't think anyone here can answer it accurately. The battery, of course, does not fall under the 10 year warranty. There will be a battery replacement programme, apparently. Here's what I've been wondering: Since Ploom refuses to acknowledge the real primary use of this device (they insist it is for tobacco and legal herbs only) will they disqualify a warranty on a device that has been used for weed?

I sent my Iolite back and they sent me a new one, that is also "designed for tobacco"

iowcatalyst,

dsal1

As much as I really want the PAX.... I'll hv to sit back and wait for a v2 with the updates that will cover these small but important issues many are experiencing.

THEN..... I'll be on it like a fly on a turd ;)

I agree

dsal1,

darkrom

Great Scott!
About the "designed for tobacco" concern, aren't almost all vapes sold this way? I'm yet to hear of a warranty being voided because of cannabis use. I mean unless you send them a fully packed bowl how would they ever know in the first place?

I think the tobacco marketing allows them to sell to non-medical states. If cannabis were legal they wouldn't need shit like that.

JoeKickass

Does the party mode make the unit run hotter? I tried it yesterday and seemed like it did. Maybe I was just vaked...
Party mode doesn't change the temp (or it's not supposed to, at least). And yes, you were vaked ;)

Party mode deactivates the 30s cool-down fuction, so if your having a lazy sesh and don't want the device cooling down everytime you set it down, yes, party mode will keep it "hot"

As much as I really want the PAX.... I'll hv to sit back and wait for a v2 with the updates that will cover these small but important issues many are experiencing.

Did I miss something? The only issues the Pax has are new users...

Notice how first-time complaints soon fade away into love! :luv:

Drastic

Vape4Life

There really aren't any issues that aren't avoidable. This is the best engendered portable vape on the market IMO. Keep it clean and you will be fine, no sticking issues or heater staying on issues. Only thing they could do to make it better is change the plastic used for the temp button in there next version (not sure about the whole device but the board is at least on REV 6.21, right above the designer sig in the pic i posted up top)

Grinding up a load right now!!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom