Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kushcloud

sounds like someone is having fun with their pax :tup:
hope mine comes before the weekend!

I am definitely having fun with it. The only thing bothering me about this device is the battery life. Im a heavy user and am working, running errands, out and about and the battery just isnt enough. Hopefully a solution for that is around the corner. Whats the point in party mode? Just for fun?

kushcloud,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
So is it recommended to try to discharge the battery as much as possible each time before charging? I know there's not any real long term input on this yet and I will probably do it regardless.

Also, say you charge it up and don't use it for a week or more (once again, prob not much input in this dept yet), it holds a charge well?

source: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/do_and_dont_battery_table
Summary of Do’s and Don’ts with batteries:

*** dammit, having trouble posting the table..... just go to the link above.

smokum,
Darn my white temp change button is stuck and won't change. Stuck on medium at least. I've been cleaning mine after every few sessions sp I'm pretty sure it's not gunk. Anyone know of any remedies?

Orangelines,

doctah

Im still using my NO2!

Been reading this site for about a month now, and just signed up wanting to make a few comments / comparisons. I have had a Da Buddha for about 3 years, a Vapir NO2 for over a year, and just got my PAX in the mail 2 weeks ago. I have been using it exclusively for the last two weeks and switched back to my NO2 last night and wanted to put in my two cents, because there is part of me that is not blown away by the PAX.

Size: PAX is easily the best vape as far as size goes. The NO2 is portable and is fine for driving around and throwing it on your car seat. But it won't fit in your pocket unless you are wearing Bball shorts.
The PAX fits so easily in my pocket that I found myself taking it EVERYWHERE I went for the last few weeks. Something that feels good about just knowing that you have a fresh bowl ready to go at any second and takes no more bulk than my phone. I even took it to show and security couldn't tell it was there.

Looks: PAX. Duh. I mean this thing is beautifully designed and so simple to use. Nothing out there compares right now. I love that there is no external buttons. You can turn it on and throw it in your pocket and not have to worry about accidentally turning it off or changing the temp.

Stone level: ughhh....this is where it starts to unravel.
The PAX is a conduction vape meaning your herbs sit right on the heating element. If you turn it on for 5 min and don't hit it at all, you will burn up the entire bowl. The NO2 is a convection vape, so your herbs sit upstream of the heating element. The heat only passes through the herbs when you take a draw, so you are literally only vaping when you are vaping. I have turned my NO2 on for the full 20 min cycle and didn't take a single draw (it wasn't the first bowl, so it was easy to forgot what I was doing). The NO2 shut itself off after 20 min and the herbs inside were still very green.

I used to think the NO2 didn't draw very easily (and it doesn't compared to the Da Buddha or any traditional pipe/bong etc). But after using the PAX for a week and going back to the NO2 last night the NO2 feels like a wide open binger compared to the PAX. The PAX draw almost seems like a manufacturer's error it is so poor. I was surprised to see that the mouthpiece looks like it has a wide opening, but only a small hole in the corner actually allows air through. And no venting along the body to help this (I know this is probably to keep that unibody look) but trying to get the air to flow around the oven lid when it is closed? That seems like a major oversight by the production team at PAX to me.

The poor draw and conduction factor of the PAX have me considerably less baked off the same amount of herbs than the NO2. Granted, I usually only fill the chamber half way on the PAX, but that same amount on the NO2 will get the job done in 1 session. I find the PAX usually takes 2-3 sessions at least to get the same level.

Efficiency: I think I already spoke to this above, but the efficiency of the PAX is terrible. If I took the bowl out of my PAX and just smoked it traditionally I would be more baked than through the PAX. Through my NO2 or Da Buddha, that same amount would get me more baked than smoking or PAX.

Battery Life: About the same for both PAX and NO2, but that speaks well of PAX I believe since the battery alone inside the NO2 is bigger than the whole PAX unit.

Charging: The PAX looks awesome sitting on the charging stand, but Im gonna say NO2 wins this battle as well only because it has passthrough charging. You can use it while it is charging and I use that feature all the time. Nothing worse than wanting a session but having to wait on a charge. PAX is one or the other...charging or usable.

Bringing it back around: Even though I just dogged the PAX pretty well above, I think there are a lot of times where it will be the right vape to use. Its size and portability are a HUGE advantage to anything else I have used. I can still get medicated on it, even though it wastes more than other vapes, but hey, it works eventually. And I think the conduction thing works well for SOME people. If you like to take you time and "sip" your vape like you might sip a cocktail, then conduction sucks. I find that once you turn the PAX on, you have about 5 min to finish the bowl. If you are a quick toker, this probably works OK for you. I like to take my time, so this is too fast even at the lowest heat settings.

It seems all in all like the designers of PAX were going for design first and function second. I LOVE my pretty gadgets, so I understand this approach, and I think they nailed it in terms beauty and simplicity. Unfortunately Im not sure if form is better than function in this realm.

al bundy

Vaporist
The no2 is a conduction also,the herbs are sitting in a brass bowl.
and i have had my herbs get totally cooked when leaving the No2 unattended. and my screen is raised so it doesnt touch the bottom of the bowl.Not knocking it at all its my main vape.

al bundy,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
after receiving my replacement, i kinda felt different in my hands but i wasn't totally sure about it since i sent my old one in. but yesterday i had a chance to meet with a couple of other pax owners, i must say that there is something wierd, everything looks the same but the new unit weight less. we didn't have a scale but you can feel the weight difference. so i'm guessing they changed something from the first batch.

ilovebOObs,

Drastic

Vape4Life
For people having temp button sticking issues it is from the reaction with iso and the white plastic. Mine go stuck after my thorough cleaning. I took it apart and there was a white substance that bonded the button to the black plastic around it. Don't let iso soak around the button. I used an xacto blade and scraped it off and button is fine. Do not press too hard if its stuck you might rip off the button from the circuit board.

As far as the mouthpiece sticking, you may have a defective mouthpiece/unit. As long as you didn't let a .1-.2 of oil run down into the mouthpiece you'll be good. I was taking dabs with the oil I cleaned off the spring and around the air-path! Don't turn the unit upside down if your using concentrates when hot and for just flower this build up will be very gradual. A weekly cleaning should be more then enough. I just like cleaning before I load my load for the day.

The No2 is a conduction like the DV. There is a wire that's warped around the bowl that gets hot. Plus it off-gasses, eww!(spend some time reading the thread, check out the Davinci thread also)

As far as efficiency I don't think it was its main design. It was made for tobacco so efficiency is not an issue. I suggest packing a full oven .4-.5, packing very tightly and shortening you sessions to 3-4 pulls and turn it off. Hit it a few times off (I do it by pulling the mouthpiece out till the heater does off but its still on the air-path and take a few more long draws) this cools it off faster. I pack one load before I leave for the day and get in like 4-5 good session. The first on yellow, the second yellow to orange, stir and pack before the third on orange, stir and pack before the forth on orange to red for a second, and usually do red for the ride home.

Drastic

Vape4Life
I got 99 grams, its my replacement from vapeworld. My original one was the same.

boobs where did you get yours replaced from?

Edit: Ploom chat said there haven't been any version changes.

Drastic,

Phizix

Now you made me go check...

98.7 g empty. vapeworld rec'd 8/9

must be some build up in there lol.

Phizix,

Espo

So I am STILL in love with my Pax but I think its time to pickup a second Vaporizer instead of using my Pax all day and all night. I would like to JUST use the Pax as a portable, and use something else when I am home. Problem is I did all my research on the Pax and neglected to look at any other vapes, and there are a TON out there. I dont mean to take this thread off topic, but can someone who understands what I am talking about please PM me and give me some advice on which other unit to go with?

On topic, I used my Pax lastnight for the first time with bubble hash. I packed a good layer of flowers in about half way up the oven, then 3-4 small pieces of hash, then more flowers on top and packed it down good. My friend and I took between 8 hits on low, then bumped it up to medium and took another 8 hits. It was very impressive. Thank goodness I picked up a good bit of hash :brow:

Espo,

JoeKickass

Stone level: ughhh....this is where it starts to unravel.
The PAX is a conduction vape meaning your herbs sit right on the heating element. If you turn it on for 5 min and don't hit it at all, you will burn up the entire bowl. The NO2 is a convection vape, so your herbs sit upstream of the heating element. The heat only passes through the herbs when you take a draw, so you are literally only vaping when you are vaping. I have turned my NO2 on for the full 20 min cycle and didn't take a single draw (it wasn't the first bowl, so it was easy to forgot what I was doing). The NO2 shut itself off after 20 min and the herbs inside were still very green.

I used to think the NO2 didn't draw very easily (and it doesn't compared to the Da Buddha or any traditional pipe/bong etc). But after using the PAX for a week and going back to the NO2 last night the NO2 feels like a wide open binger compared to the PAX. The PAX draw almost seems like a manufacturer's error it is so poor. I was surprised to see that the mouthpiece looks like it has a wide opening, but only a small hole in the corner actually allows air through. And no venting along the body to help this (I know this is probably to keep that unibody look) but trying to get the air to flow around the oven lid when it is closed? That seems like a major oversight by the production team at PAX to me.

The poor draw and conduction factor of the PAX have me considerably less baked off the same amount of herbs than the NO2. Granted, I usually only fill the chamber half way on the PAX, but that same amount on the NO2 will get the job done in 1 session. I find the PAX usually takes 2-3 sessions at least to get the same level.

First off, thanks for taking the time to write such a long review!

But I'm honestly surprised that you've had your Pax for two weeks and you haven't figured these things out!

"If you turn it on for 5 min and don't hit it at all, you will burn up the entire bowl."
It's a bit wasteful for the battery if you just leave it on, but the 30s cool-down works really well if you are having a lazy sesh, just set it on something solid. BUT it won't cool-down in your pocket so just turn it off if you pocket it! Pax heats up fast so there's no need to leave it on...

"The draw."
Is how the Pax works! If it had a free-flowing draw like a convection vape you would just get a lot of hot air, try pulling with your mouth and your cheeks rather than your lungs. (If I had a nickel for how many times I've said that...) Drawing slow is especially important for small bowls.

JoeKickass,
Reactions: Drastic

Buyola

So I am STILL in love with my Pax but I think its time to pickup a second Vaporizer instead of using my Pax all day and all night. I would like to JUST use the Pax as a portable, and use something else when I am home. Problem is I did all my research on the Pax and neglected to look at any other vapes, and there are a TON out there. I dont mean to take this thread off topic, but can someone who understands what I am talking about please PM me and give me some advice on which other unit to go with?

On topic, I used my Pax lastnight for the first time with bubble hash. I packed a good layer of flowers in about half way up the oven, then 3-4 small pieces of hash, then more flowers on top and packed it down good. My friend and I took between 8 hits on low, then bumped it up to medium and took another 8 hits. It was very impressive. Thank goodness I picked up a good bit of hash :brow:

ESPO get a Cloud and look no further. I love my Cloud waiting for my Mivape, might order Pax if Mivape is not ready by next month.

Buyola,

Adobewan

i feel like an a-hole went to smoke shop to look at scales, when guy wasn't looking i put the pax on to weight it and then left. hahahah mine weight 98.6 empty.
What's wrong with that? You were testing the scale, perfectly acceptable for the discerning shopper.
Well, they aren't selling a one time use of the scale, they're selling the scale and you didn't make off with that.
And then you contributed the findings from your recon mission to the brethren of your community.
A-hole, no.
FC Ninja scout, YES!

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
i feel like an a-hole went to smoke shop to look at scales, when guy wasn't looking i put the pax on to weight it and then left. hahahah mine weight 98.6 empty.

Nah, I am even sure he would have let you just weight the device for free. Anyway, I weighed mine, it is at 96.81 grams for the weight of my device. All the weights don't sound too far off.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: ilovebOObs
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom