Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowdjinni

Did anyone have luck upgrading to

They were unresponsive when i asked about this.
Has anyone had luck upgrading to a pax2 when they sent theirs in on warranty?
I tried doing the warranty send-in but they just wanted to give me a new Pax 1. They also reiterated that they have no upgrade and/or trade-in program. I tried my hardest to write them in the after-service review about how they need to implement something like this sooner rather than later.

Shadowdjinni,

skrap

Give it a year or two, and then try to file a warranty claim, I'm sure there's a better chance they'd be willing to let you trade up at that time.
:2c:
Very good point, thank. Will probably bust it out of the box since I'm not getting any interest on craigslist. It is a great device.

kels2soccer

Hey guys. Just got a pax1 from my bf. he used it a little bit, literally a few times but had to quit smoking recently. I really like it and I've really kinda gotten into this thread and reading about all the cool stuff everyone is doing with theirs!

I do have a couple of questions though. I know it's supposed to be easier on your throat and everything but I find that I cough just as much if not more than when I'm smoking from a pipe or bong. Anyone know why this is? I use it on low for like ten hits then usually pump it up to med or high for a few more puffs.

Also does anyone have some tips on concealing smell from this device? I know it doesn't make a huge stink but I want to be able to use it at concerts and such without being found out by the scent following me.

Thanks!!

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I do have a couple of questions though. I know it's supposed to be easier on your throat and everything but I find that I cough just as much if not more than when I'm smoking from a pipe or bong. Anyone know why this is? I use it on low for like ten hits then usually pump it up to med or high for a few more puffs.

Welcome to the forum, there's a TON of information to read, this thread is rather quite long. I usually skip to the last 100 pages of any vaporizer thread to get the 'latest tips' on any vape.

I think mainly the coughing is due to the higher temperatures, you cough more on the red setting, right?

Try making a cup of tea and taking a few sips before and during the vaping

Also some people prefer to vaporize through waterpipes, though there really isn't an easy way to do that with the Pax1 unless you want to make your own adapter. Note I am working on a new silicone adapter which I hope to have listed on my store in a few weeks

Last edited by a moderator:

kels2soccer

Welcome to the forum, there's a TON of information to read, this thread is rather quite long. I usually skip to the last 100 pages of any vaporizer thread to get the 'latest tips' on any vape.

I think mainly the coughing is due to the higher temperatures, you cough more on the red setting, right?

Try making a cup of tea and taking a few sips before and during the vaping

Also some people prefer to vaporize through waterpipes, though there really isn't an easy way to do that with the Pax1 unless you want to make your own adapter. Though I am working on a new silicone adapter which I hope to have listed on my store in a few weeks
Vaping through a wager pipe sounds awesome I will definitely want to try out your adapter! It will help with the coughing I bet and so will the drink. Thanks!

DyerMaker

Flowers&Shatter
Really late to the Pax game but my Pax1 just arrived today. Had it overnighted cause I need a good vape for vacations and needed to know if this would cut it or not. If not I'll just get a new MFLB, as I know for a fact that they work great. Will post my first impressions here :)

DyerMaker

Flowers&Shatter
Welcome to the life of Pax

Thanks man!

I charged it for ~4 hours while grocery shopping. Came back to a fully charged Pax, loaded up the oven til it was pretty tight but not crazy tight, made sure it was on yellow heat(I like to taste my herb) And just wow, so simple and efficient. Took about 4 or 5 decent drags and it got me way past where I thought 4 or 5 drags would get me reading others' reviews. And this is with a dab tolerance.. I can only imagine the clouds produced on Medium and High heats...

I can see myself using this baby anytime I'm out and about cause it looks so inconspicuous and works so flawlessly. Definitely more stealthy than the MFLB in terms of how you hit it.

Now, I realize its my first session with it but if it continues working like this I might not even need to get a backup MFLB. We shall see over the next week :)

Now a Maud-dib on the other hand... =D

deffjaniels

Hey guys, first time poster here.

I've had my Pax for about 7 months and am by this point pretty experienced in how to operate it. Today, I decided to charge it for less than the full time needed. This is only the second time I did this; I did it about 4 months ago with no problems.

I let it charge for about 15 minutes and then pulled it off. It died after about 20 seconds.

Ok, maybe I didn't let it charge long enough. I let it charge for the full ~hour or so it takes to charge.

Pulled it off again. It still dies after 20 seconds, and now when I put it back on, it still reads green (aka fully charged).

It seems very likely to me that the battery has lost its charge. On the other hand, this is very surprising as I've treated it very well and have only charged it maybe 30 times total in the 7 months I've owned it. Also, it didn't seem to have the battery life gradually detoriate: last week it was still lasting for a full hour on each charge, and now it's totally dead.

To me I think the overwhelmingly likely thing here is the battery is simply dead, but if so, holy crap, what a terrible longevity for such an expensive product (isn't it supposed to last 200-300 cycles). That's why I'm including the data about how I charged it: I can't think of any reason why the performance would nosedive like that, and that's the only thing I changed from the normal routine.

Any thoughts? anyone seen anything like this before?

deffjaniels,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Welcome!

You mention that you have charged the battery only about 30 times over 7 months..... How were you handling the battery between charges? Would you let the battery drain all the down to nothing before charging it back up? Did you leave it fully charged (100%) for weeks at a time?

There are a lot of factors which can prematurely kill the battery on any portable device these days. Only had my Pax a few months now, and haven't read this entire thread, so I don't know how often it happens. But I bet there's a good chance you're covered by the warranty, I'll try to process a warranty claim.

Delta3DStudios,

deffjaniels

i actually had really good battery habits as far as I knew, which was why this was so surprising. I always let it run down to zero, and then would fully charge it each time (with the exception of one time about four months ago where I pulled it off after like 45 minutes instead of the usual hour or so that it took.

As for letting it stay at 100% for weeks at a time, maybe it stayed at 100% for a couple days but never any longer than that. Honestly I did my absolute best to not kill the battery life - even when it would have been a lot more convenient to not be as cautious - which is why it’s extra disappointing that it died so soon after purchase.

I opened a support request for Ploom yesterday, but I’ve been reading online that their warranty I shelled out for doesn’t cover ‘normal battery performance degradation” and that it can be a bit of a struggle to get them to help on battery issues. I really hope they don’t try to pull that card on me, because there’s no way that this degradation is normal from everything I’ve read.

deffjaniels,

DyerMaker

Flowers&Shatter
So I've had the chance to vape full ovens on all the temp settings and I think Orange would have to be my favorite, at least for my unit, in terms of lasting flavor and cloud density. The Red setting also produces huge clouds and still tastes good initially, just not for as long. Really love the versatility of this thing.

Also, I purchased mine off of VapeWorld.com; any idea how to access/register my warranty?

Kalessin

So I've had the chance to vape full ovens on all the temp settings and I think Orange would have to be my favorite, at least for my unit, in terms of lasting flavor and cloud density. The Red setting also produces huge clouds and still tastes good initially, just not for as long. Really love the versatility of this thing.

Also, I purchased mine off of VapeWorld.com; any idea how to access/register my warranty?
I prefer medium myself. I find that on red it scorches the material pretty badly on the bottom of the pack, but keeping it on medium cooks it perfectly.

DyerMaker

Flowers&Shatter
I prefer medium myself. I find that on red it scorches the material pretty badly on the bottom of the pack, but keeping it on medium cooks it perfectly.

Yeah, it definitely fully utilizes the herb in the oven that's for sure. Then again I've noticed the pax can never quite vaporize the herb in the oven 100% evenly like my DBV would, but that's greatly reduced when you grind your material properly.. I myself use a Santa Cruz 4 piece and 2 piece to get it to a finer consistency. Get pretty even cooks this way. Honestly like my PAX better than I liked my MFLB. Didn't think that was possible..:whoa:

DyerMaker,

Kalessin

I find I have to stir mine every so often, but as long as I do that and repack it really well, by the time I'm done mine is pretty even all throughout

Kalessin,

DyerMaker

Flowers&Shatter
I find I have to stir mine every so often, but as long as I do that and repack it really well, by the time I'm done mine is pretty even all throughout

I tried dumping and regrinding and it gave me like an extra 5 or so dense clouds :)

Does anyone know how to clean the screen back to 100%? I'm OCD as fuck about this type of thing lol. ISO and cuetip isn't removing the light brown stains on it :'(

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
I tried dumping and regrinding and it gave me like an extra 5 or so dense clouds :)

Does anyone know how to clean the screen back to 100%? I'm OCD as fuck about this type of thing lol. ISO and cuetip isn't removing the light brown stains on it :'(

Yo yo DyerMaker :)

Try a dampened Magic Eraser or equivalent - you should find that it will do the trick with ease.

. . . Or if you're really having trouble & it's ONLY the screen you want to clean, get yourself a Brillo pad and lightly dampen it, give your screen a quick scrub & in next to no time it will be clean & shiny once more.

Just make sure to give your screen a good ISO wipe afterwards to remove any residue left by the Magic Eraser or Brillo pad.

Using the above method I have only ever used one screen in my PAX since 2012.

Now that's some economical shit right there :shit:

:D

:peace:

DyerMaker

Flowers&Shatter
Yo yo DyerMaker :)

Try a dampened Magic Eraser or equivalent - you should find that it will do the trick with ease.

. . . Or if you're really having trouble & it's ONLY the screen you want to clean, get yourself a Brillo pad and lightly dampen it, give your screen a quick scrub & in next to no time it will be clean & shiny once more.

Just make sure to give your screen a good ISO wipe afterwards to remove any residue left by the Magic Eraser or Brillo pad.

Using the above method I have only ever used one screen in my PAX since 2012.

Now that's some economical shit right there :shit:

:D

:peace:

THANK YOU!
Yes, that IS very economical:rockon:

I'd like to never have to order a screen from Ploom if I don't have too, lol.

Try using something more abrasive, like steel wool.

edit: whoops, @VegNVape's response hadn't populated, there's some better advice!

Thanks, that's another great idea I didn't think of :doh: I need to rig up a bunch of steel wool cuetips and throw em in my travel bag lmao.

Cheers,

:science:

Kalessin

I take an old pair of toenail clippers and scrape everything off the screen with that. A bit tedious, but it gets it shiny again.

Kalessin,
Reactions: VegNVape

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Hey all, I finally got my profile of the Pax nailed down. I've got a sweet low-poly mini stand to keep the Pax upright when not in use (I'll be publishing it very soon to my store).

And yes, before you ask for it, I AM working on a silicone waterpipe adapter for the Pax1. Already tried to use my 3D scanner, but the latest software update has rendered the scanner unusable for scanning tiny objects like the Pax1 mouthpiece. (Guess it's time to invest in a Laser 3D Scanner..... lol). Since I can't scan it, I'm using a different method to design the adapter. ETA about 1-2 weeks.

Are there any other requests for accessories? I might as well bust them out all at once....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom