Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

willieR

Been here since 2009
I follow the Dude's advice and really don't use any iso except on the oven lid. You can really polish the parts without iso while the unit is hot.

JoeKickass

No, I'm not gonna use it on the plane. Just at the destination. :-). That's why it's going in my check in luggage :-).

That's the way to do it! :tup:

NO WAY can you take any herbals in an airport or plane. Are you kidding? In an airport they're sniffing, swabbing, x-raying, patting down... SEARCHING for what your carrying. Why in the world would anyone tempt fate?

Carry-on, yes this is true. But there is so much stuff in checked luggage they usually just x-ray and poke through it. If you make sure your bag itself doesn't smell, I think you could bring a few eighth-size jars of flower in random clothes/sockballs:ninja:

JoeKickass,
Personally I wouldn't risk loosing my pax to the TSA. If I was traveling and absolutely had to have it I would mail it to my destination long before I would try and bring it on a plane. Only because I can't afford $250 for another one and the time without my Pax. The idea of using it on a plane to me is insane. Maybe 15 years ago but nowadays no fucking way!

TheAngryGiraffe,
Reactions: willieR

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I've had my Pax for a couple of weeks now. I've had to clean it twice already and it needs it again, and it's not even my regular device. It's high maintenance compared to my LB (less than once a month, constant use) or my Extreme (every two weeks or so). If you heat it up as recommended several times here, it's not hard to clean without using any ISO in the unit. The screen needs an ISO soak and you might use ISO on the pipe cleaner when you clean the mouthpiece (I don't) but when it's warm the vapour tube in the body of the Pax cleans just fine using a pipe cleaner with no ISO. You can point it at a light and look down the tube before and after to see for yourself.

If I were trying to prepare it for air travel then I'd use ISO to clean the oven, because it looks to me as though it might be difficult to get all of the resin out of the right angle where the walls meet the oven floor. To clean the vapour tube, I'd first do a warm cleaning with a dry pipe cleaner pushing from the mouthpiece side so as to force any resin out into the oven not the mouthpiece chamber. Then I'd seal the vapour tube at the mouthpiece end and use ISO on a pipe cleaner from the oven end.

Other than that I don't see any reason to use ISO on the Pax, provided you don't go too long between cleanings. I have no idea why anyone is putting ISO in or anywhere near the mouthpiece chamber. Vapour shouldn't leak into that area. I've not found a trace of resin in that part of mine, and I check carefully.

pakalolo,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
as far as vaping on a plane, bad idea, esp. in the bathroom. Those sensors in there are very sensitive, there was a discussion about this on an ecig forum, where somebody tried using an ecig in the plane bathroom and set off the alarm. Just not a good idea. Flying with herbs, that is also not a good idea, but I know plenty of med patients who do fly with it, no problems so far. I know a lady who dropped her Altoids tin full of bud right on to the X-ray conveyer line with over a 1/4 inside, and didn't get a second look. I would not recommend it though. I'd say if you pack it in your checked luggage be sure to hide it well so sticky fingers don't take it. I have had my checked bags searched and a little slip of paper saying so, every time I fly.

jambandphan03,

bluesurfboy

That's the way to do it! :tup:

Carry-on, yes this is true. But there is so much stuff in checked luggage they usually just x-ray and poke through it. If you make sure your bag itself doesn't smell, I think you could bring a few eighth-size jars of flower in random clothes/sockballs:ninja:

!!!! Definitely agree with this, as i have done this very thing before.

Granted this is before i got my license/recommendation.

In california, some airports allow you to carry medicine, out in domestic flights.

MY friend has done it, and I even read stories of TSA members trying to confiscate, only to have their superior roll their eyes, and once its confirmed they are a patient to quickly and privately return and apologize to them (eventhough they are federal agents)

Personally I wouldn't risk loosing my pax to the TSA. If I was traveling and absolutely had to have it I would mail it to my destination long before I would try and bring it on a plane. Only because I can't afford $250 for another one and the time without my Pax. The idea of using it on a plane to me is insane. Maybe 15 years ago but nowadays no fucking way!

you would only risk losing your device if it was packed with illegals at the time, if it was empty or filled with tobacco or something herbal, they legally CANNOT take this from you

im sure soemone in TSA or someoen with a relative in TSA can chime in on this.

bluesurfboy,

bluesurfboy

I've had my Pax for a couple of weeks now. I've had to clean it twice already and it needs it again, and it's not even my regular device. It's high maintenance compared to my LB (less than once a month, constant use) or my Extreme (every two weeks or so). If you heat it up as recommended several times here, it's not hard to clean without using any ISO in the unit. The screen needs an ISO soak and you might use ISO on the pipe cleaner when you clean the mouthpiece (I don't) but when it's warm the vapour tube in the body of the Pax cleans just fine using a pipe cleaner with no ISO. You can point it at a light and look down the tube before and after to see for yourself.

If I were trying to prepare it for air travel then I'd use ISO to clean the oven, because it looks to me as though it might be difficult to get all of the resin out of the right angle where the walls meet the oven floor. To clean the vapour tube, I'd first do a warm cleaning with a dry pipe cleaner pushing from the mouthpiece side so as to force any resin out into the oven not the mouthpiece chamber. Then I'd seal the vapour tube at the mouthpiece end and use ISO on a pipe cleaner from the oven end.

Other than that I don't see any reason to use ISO on the Pax, provided you don't go too long between cleanings. I have no idea why anyone is putting ISO in or anywhere near the mouthpiece chamber. Vapour shouldn't leak into that area. I've not found a trace of resin in that part of mine, and I check carefully.

i agree pax requires more often cleaning, but after a few times its much easier, and less to break than MFLB.

cleaning the MFLB is a headache and a hassle to get it cleaned properly, no to mention all the horror stories of people poking holes and damaging their screens, MFLB is great, but thats 10 years ago great. the new is here and the new is pax.

as far as the iso getting on the button, i doubt its being done intentionally. the distance between the button at the vapor tube is really too close, close enough that an oversoaked pipecleaner can easily overflow onto the button (what happened to me)

anyways, i will avoid this in the future and go with warm cleanings with none or minimal amounts of iso.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
i agree pax requires more often cleaning, but after a few times its much easier, and less to break than MFLB.

cleaning the MFLB is a headache and a hassle to get it cleaned properly, no to mention all the horror stories of people poking holes and damaging their screens, MFLB is great, but thats 10 years ago great. the new is here and the new is pax.

Wait a minute, isn't this discussion about how cleaning the Pax wound up with a fucked-up temp button? How is that less to break than the LB?

Those who break something cleaning their LB are doing something just as silly and unnecessary as using ISO in the mouthpiece chamber of the Pax: poking around under the screen. You shouldn't be cleaning under there. One of the great virtues of the LB is that you almost never have to clean it.

pakalolo,
Reactions: ShipDit

bluesurfboy

Wait a minute, isn't this discussion about how cleaning the Pax wound up with a fucked-up temp button? How is that less to break than the LB?

Those who break something cleaning their LB are doing something just as silly and unnecessary as using ISO in the mouthpiece chamber of the Pax: poking around under the screen. You shouldn't be cleaning under there. One of the great virtues of the LB is that you almost never have to clean it.

you are right there, but my device still works, just difficult to change temp,

MFLB, peoples battery contacts get loose over time, screen once gunked with concentrates cant be cleaned (back to normal, or to my standard), overall very finnicky device, no to mention constant output and maintenance buying batteries.

in quality and use, MFLB is just obsolete, it DOES combust, and im not surprised MFLB got the bad rep that the atmos raw got, but essentially its similar, they both combust, mostly due to user error, but it does happen, with the PAx, NEVER, and i've left it on in my pocket.

in conclusion, even with that point, i stand by my statement again, just my personal opinion

willieR

Been here since 2009
I've had two LB screens fail on me, and have gone through three iolites. I don't carry great expectations that these devices last forever or require no maintenance. While I haven't had an issue yet with my Pax, I expect I will at some point. And then I'll deal with it and keep vaping.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I was trying to make that point recently, that all the devices on the market have some quirks that some are ok with more than others. I have yet to see a perfect portable vape on the market, esp. at a reasonable price. Pax is by far my favorite that I've tried yet. I am supposed to get the INH004 today, so I can see how that unit performs. Hands down the Pax wins for size and cool look IMO.

headdoctor

I realize this may be trivial question, but I'm going to order some pipe cleaners and it looks like they come in hard and soft bristles. Does it matter?

headdoctor,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Willie I think I would as well cept I think we would have to sleep over lol. I think almost all of jams glass is up for sale so he will have to change his signature.

Dreamerr,

BittenBagel

Same price and same warranty, but VapeWorld throws in a free grinder. Also, Ploom is West coast and VapeWorld is East coast, so that might influence people who want speedier shipping.

I ordered mine (onyx) from Ploom on Wednesday before 2pm PST, but I still haven't received any shipping information :\. Still says "processing" for my order on Ploom website when I look at my invoice.

Thank you. I think I will be ordering the Pax through Vapeworld when the time is right because that free grinder deal sound nice + I'm on the east coast(faster shipping). Sounds good to me!

BittenBagel,

Dreamerr

I know she doesn't have quite the feminine avatar that you have but she leaves enough clues:

"Equal Opportunity Vaporess"

Also the long hair in her videos is a bit of a giveaway imo :lol:

So sorry, my son has long hair so that isn't a clue. I just assume most around here are male. My humble apologizes to jam.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
;) for the record, right now, I only have an ashcatcher up for sale, the rest of it is vaporizers... Not planning to let go of my glass just yet. I am, however in a phasing out point on my vaporizer journey, fine tuning what works best for my needs, so it's hard to say what will go next.

jambandphan03,

Dreamerr

@Jam I thought I saw most of your glass up for sale in the classifieds yesterday. I am sooooooooo off the last three weeks I don't even think I know my name.

Dreamerr,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I have to confess I've never vaped through glass, and only rarely through heavy glass many years ago.

willieR,

SoCalShore

I'm very excited, I ordered my Pax from Ploom Thursday night after reading this quite extensive thread and I am just waiting on pins and needles for it to arrive. I ordered the amethyst and I haven't seen that too many of you have that color. The color that seems to dominate is the black and then the cobalt. I should be recieving it the begining of next week. I do want to thank all of you in educating me on what not to do with my Pax and how to clean and care for it. I am all about the accessories of a new toy and one thing that I am concerned about is a case for it while it is in my bag for my laptop or my camera equipment. Can any of you share how you carry yours?

I will definately let you know once I recieve my Pax and my thoughts on it.

Nycdeisel

Girls with glass in here

I know, now all I need is a Pax!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: I think the little Vatra soft pouch that used to be, and may still be, included in the MFLB kit from Puffitup, would be mighty fine for the Pax as a padded zip up pouch that can be easily carried around. just my :2cents: on a case for it, and Im sure theres many other little pipe pouches that would work great for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom