Discontinued Pax 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
@scott_dunlap and Ojan_at_PAX Big thanks to you guys for taking time to be here in the FC forum so diligently, and frequently answering questions in this busy time of the release. I am very appreciative of your presence here and glad the pax2 is already such a success right out of the gate.

I will be patiently waiting for mine to arrive, as I know all of your staff must be working overtime to keep up with your release demand. I can only imagine the scramble. It is obvious that bulk shipments were sent out in good faith to shops to sell once the release started, but you guys can hardly be blamed for them jumping the gun if they chose to sell the product ahead of schedule. Ultimately, it's really only a few days difference, and many people had them even earlier with the pre-release party in NYC, so I don't see much reason to let this create bad feelings for those of us who ordered directly through pax. As far as I am concerned you guys are on schedule and doing a fantastic job!
Cheers!
:science:

½oz

Launched!
When purchasing a premium product for a premium price I expect premium service. Sorry i cant say im on the bandwagon with "being okay" waiting a week after others have theirs. And they didnt pay shipping. Again my opinion. Im sure i will love the pax 2 as i have the pax 1 just annoyed by this wait. Sorry to rain on a parade but lets not pretend the rain isnt reality.

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
I think it's great Pax followed through just as they indicated in the pre-order process.

They didn't tell me to expect it before anyone else, they told me it would ship April 2. And by golly, that's exactly what happened.

Excellent service, as I've always received from these folks.

microduck

elementary vaporist
can i use the mouthpiece either way?
no.. the mp can only be inserted on the top
if you put the mp on the bottom, that is where the oven is and you dont want to do that it would probably get too hot for it and possibly melt... i would not suggest trying it

Last edited:
microduck,

lovehemp

Want to buy so badly, but they wont ship to brazil =( cant figure out a way to do this

lovehemp,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
When purchasing a premium product for a premium price I expect premium service. Sorry i cant say im on the bandwagon with "being okay" waiting a week after others have theirs. And they didnt pay shipping. Again my opinion. Im sure i will love the pax 2 as i have the pax 1 just annoyed by this wait. Sorry to rain on a parade but lets not pretend the rain isnt reality.

So another company cheats on their agreement and releases product before they should, and you want to blame PAX Labs for not giving you "premium service". How exactly do you think they should have prevented this? (Rhetorical, do not respond.)

I thought @jambandphan03 explained it quite well. Your sense of entitlement staggers me. You've complained enough, so it's time to stop now. You really don't want to embarrass yourself further.

I'm getting that the Pax 2 doesn't need to be firmly packed, but I'm just kind of confused as to how loose herb rattling around in there will vape to temp. I've been used to making very fine grain herb to pack into the Pax 1, so, what grade grind is the MOST I should use? Worried about those bigger scallop holes in the Pax 2 letting ABV (or fresh herb!) seeping under the cover.

This is poor timing given the release yesterday, but last night I tried using a really fine grind for the first time. I used my normal load (.07 g) and didn't pack it. The result was disappointing. Apparently grinding that fine does need some kind of spacer or a full load. Once I realized what was happening,I got it producing well enough by hitting the Pax 2 inverted, so that the load was falling down onto the oven floor. Also, when I popped the screen out, I found as much debris under it after a single load of fine grind as I had after several loads of medium grind. I didn't find any trace of it on the mouthpiece end though. Since a medium grind works well for me, I see no reason to grind that fine, but I'm sure we'll get a lot more feedback on this point over the next few days.

When I used a fine grind in the original Pax I didn't have this issue, and I think the difference is the oven lid. In the original, it's metal and it gets quite hot. The Pax 2 lid doesn't heat up nearly as much and I don't believe it contributes much to making vapour, it at all. Incidentally, I need to clarify something. When I say the new lid can be handled immediately after a long session at high temps, I don't mean you can hold on to it for long. You can take it off and touch it but it's still hot enough that holding it gets uncomfortable.

SmorezNTickles

It's real.
This is poor timing given the release yesterday, but last night I tried using a really fine grind for the first time. I used my normal load (.07 g) and didn't pack it. The result was disappointing. Apparently grinding that fine does need some kind of spacer or a full load. Once I realized what was happening,I got it producing well enough by hitting the Pax 2 inverted, so that the load was falling down onto the oven floor. Also, when I popped the screen out, I found as much debris under it after a single load of fine grind as I had after several loads of medium grind. I didn't find any trace of it on the mouthpiece end though. Since a medium grind works well for me, I see no reason to grind that fine, but I'm sure we'll get a lot more feedback on this point over the next few days.
What kind of grinder do you use? Also, by debris, did you mean residue-gunk? Or herb being trapped?

SmorezNTickles,

Sockin

Used mine for the first time last night and was really surprised at how much vapor it puts out by just sipping. Used a medium-fine grind from a SCS upside down.

Mr. Me2

Is anyone concerned with Vape Critics comments in his video review re: maintenance and the screen and oven getting gunked up?

Mr. Me2,

Sockin

Is anyone concerned with Vape Critics comments in his video review re: maintenance and the screen and oven getting gunked up?

FWIW, Sneaky Pete didn't clean his unit for 3 weeks and said you would have no problem not cleaning it for 1 week of heavy use or 2-3 weeks of moderate use.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
What kind of grinder do you use? Also, by debris, did you mean residue-gunk? Or herb being trapped?

I didn't use a grinder. I get my fine grind by shaking the herb in a pill bottle with a quarter. Fine grind on the left, medium (from a 4-piece Sharpstone) on the right:

R1vD58z.jpg

By debris I meant fine particles.

Not me. My experience is not like his, but even if it were he's not talking about the high level of maintenance required by the original Pax. It takes maybe a minute to pop out the screen and wipe down everything, and you don't need to do this for every load.

Mr. Me2

I didn't use a grinder. I get my fine grind by shaking the herb in a pill bottle with a quarter. Fine grind on the left, medium (from a 4-piece Sharpstone) on the right:

R1vD58z.jpg

By debris I meant fine particles.

Not me. My experience is not like his, but even if it were he's not talking about the high level of maintenance required by the original Pax. It takes maybe a minute to pop out the screen and wipe down everything, and you don't need to do this for every load.

Oops. Thx pakalolo. How about wasting product? That was another point of concern for me. The pax 1 seemed to waste a lot of product since I usually vape solo (I'm not a session guy). Even using a screen so I didn't fill the oven, it seemed like I was wasting a lot. Does the new technology in the pax 2 seem to make it operate more like convection (I'm a ff fan)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Me2,

berman1125

I agree with Vape critics video for the most part, though he did seem a little off in the video, maybe he was just having a bad day...its a great little device that they did upgrade, but I wouldn't be jumping out the window to upgrade from the p1 at all. I am happy with my purchase though, because I lost my pax in December and this fills that void. If I still had my pax1...no need to upgrade right away. I didn't find cleaning the pax 1 a hassle, and the pax 2 is definitely easier to clean so that may factor in for some people

berman1125,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Oops. Thx pakalolo. How about wasting product? That was another point of concern for me. The pax 1 seemed to waste a lot of product since I usually vape solo (I'm not a session guy). Even using a screen so I didn't fill the oven, it seemed like I was wasting a lot. Does the new technology in the pax 2 seem to make it operate more like convection (I'm a ff fan)?

I think it does. I am getting about the same out of a load as I get from the LB. There was no way that I could do that with the P1, even if I could tolerate the taste past 7-8 hits, and I don't mind the ABV taste in general. I've only done single-session loads for testing. Most of the time I turn it off after 2-3 hits, and that has worked surprisingly well for me. It's not as good as either heat-on-demand or convection, but it comes close enough that I think a lot of people will be satisfied.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Interesting review. While he didn't verbally, in words, give an overall negative review, his phrasing as well as his facial expressions gave much more of a negative impression, eh? At least that's the way I read it.

It was kinda like........."Yeah, it's ok..............I guess."

OTOH, big kudos to PAX for having an active rep here. Good show.....:tup:

He doesn't even mention the most compelling feature...the lip sensor/cool down process. He even makes a point about turning it off to save flavor...but doesn't give a second to this (theoretically huge) improvement to the conduction process. (Also, news flash, all vapes experience flavor degradation in the back half of a session...it's not the province of just the Pax.)

Unlike a lot of FCers, I kinda dig the Vape Critic, even though I often disagree with him. He shows us what we need to see in his vids. But on this one, by gliding right past a critical feature and large second-gen improvement....swing and a miss, VC...

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
He doesn't even mention the most compelling feature...the lip sensor/cool down process. He even makes a point about turning it off to save flavor...but doesn't give a second to this (theoretically huge) improvement to the conduction process. (Also, news flash, all vapes experience flavor degradation in the back half of a session...it's not the province of just the Pax.)

Unlike a lot of FCers, I kinda dig the Vape Critic, even though I often disagree with him. He shows us what we need to see in his vids. But on this one, by gliding right past a critical feature and large second-gen improvement....swing and a miss, VC...

I found that odd also. I didn't even find his review that negative. He gives it a 91/100 and it's #7 of 33 on his website, so I'm not sure how people are finding that lukewarm.

I share your opinion of his reviews. While I don't always agree with his conclusions and recommendations, he usually does a thorough job and his criticisms are honest if not always accurate in my opinion.

adam_baumm

Hi, thanks for all the info. Can anyone say how the vapor quality and density compares to the crafty ( or mighty) ?looking to use the pax2 as my outside vape and mighty for home.

adam_baumm,
Reactions: grokit

Vaporcussion

First impressions so far; it doesn't taste that different from the Pax 1; it's still tastes like a Pax. I was hoping for better flavor, especially at the lowest setting. Second, I don't sense lip sensing technology at all. Just being honest. Third, I tried the flared MP and it burnt my lips immediately! What's up with that? The MP got hot; did I do something wrong? I went back to the flat MP, liked it much better...

Vaporcussion,
Reactions: grokit

showersmoker

Hi, thanks for all the info. Can anyone say how the vapor quality and density compares to the crafty ( or mighty) ?looking to use the pax2 as my outside vape and mighty for home.
I have owned a crafty for 5 months, and just got the pax 2 yesterday. After one night of using both I prefer my crafty right now. I think there is a bit of a trick to getting consistent hits from the pax 2. Not sure if its how i'm packing it, drawing on it, or something else. I need to spend more time experimenting like I already have with the crafty to really form my opinion with any conclusions. I've gotten a mixture of great results mixed with okay results on the PAX 2 so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom