Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

lwien

aero18 said:
This is why it is useful to have a 13.5 volt adapter. :)
I've never felt that I've had the need for one of those. And I like my ABV to be a darker shade of brown (versus a lighter shade of pale.....:brow:)

lwien,

MauiSon

I'm hoping Tom can shine a little more light on the new leather choices. My specific interest is in the relative weight/thickness of each material. Are they all pretty close to one another, or do some stand out as thicker or thinner than the rest? Thanks much - I guess more choices naturally leads to more questions, eh?

MauiSon,

Plant

i was planning to wait awhile before ordeing a PDP but i'm gonna order one of these days, don't want the waiting list to get to long :cool:
I can't quite make my mind up with all the wood and leather choices, the wood i'm leaning toward maple or myrtle
i like Burl wood a Burl peace of maple is so nice got some stash jars from Burl wood and a pipe made out of burl root

so if the maple has burl in it that would be my choice :brow:

Plant,

Purple-Days

We have never offered a 13.5 Volt transformer. They are for products with low performance heat exchangers that need a boost.

12/13.5=.8888 or 11.11% more juice to get equal results? :uhoh: .8888 x 120V =106 Volts :cool:

Uh, I would be cautious about what electronic devices you plug in, if that were true... Even in LA, mid summer during brown outs, they use rolling blackouts to avoid ruining everyone's electronic equipment (or worse). Better to shut off than provide low voltage.

Surely someone on your campus has a voltmeter and can figure out how to put the two prongs in the outlet and get a reading. I'm pretty certain you are not running on 106 Volts (but I could be wrong).

Modern Electrical Codes mean your electric was hooked up right. I doubt (might be wrong) your university is running knob and tube (ancient) and letting you sleep where there is improperly done wiring. Each circuit is protected by a breaker (or fuse) and anybody drawing more power than their circuit is designed to handle will blow the breaker for that circuit. And there is a breaker upstream of those breakers and one upstream of that etc... Even with everybody, in every circuit, running near capacity (not blowing local breakers) you are still going to be getting the proper Voltage (within a percent or two). If you are not, then your electrical system has serious flaws, which would not be similar, to the rest of the country. If you believe you have brown electric you should do something about it. You should at least find out if your assumption is correct. If it is, I would make serious inquiries with the authorities on campus.

That should end the 13.5 Volt discussion on this thread, please. We don't sell them, we don't recommend them, and they aren't needed to operate a Purple-Days product. So no point in talking about them (off topic). The Purple-Days products use a 12 Volt wall power supply.

Leather: Got an e-mail from my Leather Man, who is stuck in D.C. but should be home in a day or so. He says it's a go on the 10 extra leathers. So 21 choices it is.

Maui, I choose leather based on thickness and temper. Too thin ? well obviously I want it thick enough to offer some protection. Too thick it will be hard to cut. All the materials I choose are about the same 'weight', our Leather Man lists this. I look at the 'weight' before color or texture. 3.5-5 oz. is the best for our purposes. I avoid suede too. Suede and felt are unsuitable materials IMO because of all the trash they pick up. The leather should be easy to clean, so no fuzzy leather for us.

Lwien, is being silly, but there will be 'something' for all Pandora buyers, retroactive to kit #1. Every Pandora owner, and new builder, will be 'eligible'. I will announce it on our blog in a few days. :brow:

Purple-Days,

bstar

Purple-Days said:
I avoid suede too. Suede and felt are unsuitable materials IMO because of all the trash they pick up. The leather should be easy to clean, so no fuzzy leather for us.
I was wondering about this and am so glad to hear your answer!
I'm really considering embroidering a little on the leather, or doing something decorative to it before gluing it on. If I come up with a good enough idea and get brave enough I'll be sure to post pics.

L, is being silly, but there will be 'something' for all Pandora buyers, retroactive to kit #1. Every Pandora owner, and new builder, will be 'eligible'. I will announce it on our blog in a few days. :brow:
As if I wasn't excited enough already, ha ha.

bstar,

Purple-Days

I think you could tool the Horse Leather. That would be pretty cool, turn it over and see tooling like a saddle or western belt. A nice floral rosetta.

A little green rosetta... he hums softly... a tiny green rosetta. :cool:

Purple-Days,

the ob

all good in the hood.
the horse leather seems like it might be a nice choice for people because it will probably darken nicely over time.

I am just glad I got my order in when I did. with all the new choices people are going to be ordering like crazy.....

the ob,
lwien said:
ATTENTION ALL CURRENT PANDORA OWNERS

If you purchased a Pandora before these custom woods and leathers became available, and have either received and built your Pandora, or it is in the mail, have no fear.
For one week only, Tom has decided to take each one back and exchange it for the Pandora of your dreams. Tom will even pick up the postage...............both ways.
Hurry.............one week only.

(runs and dives behind the couch............) :ninja:
Thanks, but no thanks. My Pandora is exactly what I wanted. If I want another type of wood and leather, I'll just buy another, like I most likely will anyways.
edited to add- i posted this before I knew lwien was joking, I just read what Tom said, and now I'm really excited.

SkeletonLips,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Purple-Days said:
That should end the 13.5 Volt discussion on this thread, please. We don't sell them, we don't recommend them, and they aren't needed to operate a Purple-Days product. So no point in talking about them (off topic). The Purple-Days products use a 12 Volt wall power supply.
Sorry it wasn't intended to come out that way. All I was saying is that the 12 volt works amazing.. I was just wondering if you you would ever recommend an ac adapter around 10.5-11 volts in case im looking for cooler temps at times. I cannot achieve the coolness of the ash do to the great performance of the heat exchanger and the alder wood combined. If the ac isn't the route for cooler temps, does anyone have suggestions? No worries tom, it runs like a beauty. I'm usually a high temp kind of person so this thing is great but I have times when I would prefer a bit lower temp and sometimes guest who may as well. Sorry to continue the discussion but I'm just curious. :uhoh:

HighSti,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Unplug the unit for like 3-4min. This allows a bit of a cool down then plug her back in and start rippin. I've had to do that a couple of times after a unit lays on my bed for awhile since it sinks in and gets covered up. This little bit seems to cool the iternals down a bit and seems to make stems last longer as well.

My walnut unit is still running noticably cooler than my cherry did but there's the break in period still so I'm not worried. I'd be fine with a cooler running run and just have to hit ita couple of more times and not get super cloudy vapor.

minnesnowta,

lwien

Or just order two PD's. One with, say Cherry, that runs on the warm side, and the other with, say Ash, that runs on the cool side. That way, you'll have a PD for every occasion. Multiple temps while retaining efficiency. ;)

lwien,

the ob

all good in the hood.
I am also curious about the different temps with the different woods. I know some are more dense and some less and that some will run hotter and others cooler, but what does this actually mean in terms of usage?

Is a vape that runs hotter more effective? are you just burning through product faster.

This might be helpful to people who are trying to decide between different wood types.

the ob,

lwien

the ob said:
I am also curious about the different temps with the different woods. I know some are more dense and some less and that some will run hotter and others cooler, but what does this actually mean in terms of usage?

Is a vape that runs hotter more effective? are you just burning through product faster.

This might be helpful to people who are trying to decide between different wood types.
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=2197

lwien,

the ob

all good in the hood.
lwien,
great info. thanks. now we just need an idea of the actual temps with the different woods.

the ob,

lwien

the ob said:
lwien,
great info. thanks. now we just need an idea of the actual temps with the different woods.
I don't think you're going to get that because of unit to unit variability. Keep in mind that these are hand made vapes and not churned out by some machine, so as such, there's going to be some variance in the diameter of each vape, which can affect the temps a bit. Best I think you can get is a general sense of which woods have a tendency to run warmer or cooler while realizing that all of the PD's run within the ideal vape temp ranges regardless of wood choices.

If you really want to nail down an exact temp, you need to go with a vape that has an accurate digital temp controller and display.

lwien,

the ob

all good in the hood.
lwien,
I was not asking for myself personally, just a general question. It seems like people are very concerned with temps . I already have placed my order for the myrtlewood one and I am sure whatever temp it runs will be great :) thanks again for your help.

the ob,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
the ob said:
I already have placed my order for the myrtlewood one and I am sure whatever temp it runs will be great
couldnt agree more. All of them fall in the sweet spot vaping range. I was just being nit picky. I love my PD. It's hot. :lol: ...both ways.

HighSti,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Some thoughts- Tom, please let me know if I'm in a ball-park..
I've got striking black walnut- :) thank you~!
Myrtle is covered- thanks to buying a used figured myrtle from a fellow FC'r.

You know I've got a thing for "pretty" figured woods..

I like the look of the bigleaf maple, not too up on what hickory can look like.. am I correct that Hickory is a more dense wood than blm?

Trying to head in a possibly hotter zone, just for variety. The two I have seem to run almost neck & neck- and I'm very satisfied at the quality and quantity of pulls. Quality of what goes in the tube counts towards that too :D.

The western maple should theoretically be warmer- correct?

I'm waiting to see the previews of the wood on your website. In no rush, as I'm more than covered vape wise- but I have little happy thoughts in my head doing the "what if" game.;)

edit: the only hickory on the table I could find was Shagbark.. not sure if it's the same as what you are using..

indigal,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Not sure- I know what each mean in their own right.. but as far as heat transfer and insulation? That's not something as easily googled!

indigal,

Purple-Days

No problem High, I think lower temps are pretty cool for med users. Pammy has difficulties that make a lower temp vapor a requirement, she loves Clear Dome's 'Lily' stem, want's a shorty for the road (not fancy), the glass lowers the temp and is soo cool... I think you need good heat transfer at the proper temps, for vaporization, after that some folks need cooling (longer or colder airpaths) and re-humidification (stay tuned for info on that).

I think most folks see, that with resistance set, voltage controls temperature (all other factors equal, and there are many). Lower voltage will equal lower temps, . . . that's why I try to explain the density and temperature correlation and as much as possible about Voltage and resistance.

Sorry I'm a slow typer. Now I see the other responses. I'll check and report back.

Purple-Days,

Willeh

Hey guys, I just ordered my own black walnut pandora kit and am officially stoked on its arrival :peace:
Heres a few questions lumped together though:
I was wondering though, would it matter if I used a soldering iron thats just been used with normal solder? Or should I buy a fresh one just for this? Also, random question does anyone know if the tubing from an extreme would fit onto the purple days stems? it could make a nice glass on glass water filter adapter. Also about the car adaptor, can one safely idle for say 20 minutes with the purple days plugged in without needing a jump? How is the vapor thickness compared to an elbow pack in an extreme? (I love my extreme for thick hits, but cant stop breaking it :ko:). Crossing my fingers on customs not nabbing (and taxing) my package (Canadian eh :p). I think I can safely say this will replace the VG as my new daily driver assuming I can put it together! lol =]

Willeh,

Purple-Days

'normal solder' might include anything including Lead (Pb) a known poison. A fresh iron may cost $10, a new tip for an older gun may be just a few $ ... Why risk exposure?

Most cars in good condition should be able to sit without the motor running for many hours, but if you are running heaters and fans and radio the PD didn't cause the battery drain. 720mA @ 12V ;)

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom