Obscure and Obsolete Vapes

Someone posted this elsewhere but it's definitely little known and quite interesting. I can't find nay info on power source or anything, really. The portable Mivape, from the infamously overpriced vaporfection people.

vaporfectionmivape.jpg

vi-vape com/tagged/vaporfection-mivape [removed]
Edit: thanks to go glass for posting about this in the Solo thread

Modnote: the site mentioned appears to be related to a scam. Do not buy from it!!!

charliedontsurf,
The mivape looks pretty cool, kind of like an iphone but more fun to use. Is it available? Or coming out soon?

tylershouse,

Kofa

Abysmal Vapor said:
and he confirmed that materials are safe.. And brass got 4% lead which is with the standart.

Wow, 4% ?!

Alexander-would you consider using stainless steel in the Lithe?

Kofa,

Kofa

Abysmal Vapor said:
the beautiful purple color is natural but it has the disadvantage of oxidizing with the passage of time , changing its color to a strange hue of brown or pehaps blackish by the high temperatures involved in vaporizing, I have told the dealer to warn possible puchasers of that characteristic of that kind of wood so they wont be surprised and disappointed in a few months when that happens.

Any chancee of posting a picture of how the purple Lithes end up looking after this oxidation process?

Kofa,

Lithe_vapes

Manufacturer
I got full info on HOW IT WORKS.. and he confirmed that materials are safe.. And brass got 4% lead which is with the standart.
please Let me correct, it is less than 2.5%. C-385. a good one, very hard.

Lithe_vapes,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
To jump back on the Sneak-a-Vape Discussion from Page 2, I have one, and IMO it is not really a vape at all...

You essentially just have a torch lighter attached to a screen-ish type thing, which is supposed to act as a diffuser, but that's also what you put your herbs on... Which basically means insta-combustion...

Here's how I managed to get a little vaporization out of it:
1 - Flip the screen section so that it is closer to the Torch Lighter
2 - Pack your herb into the mouthpiece - right on to of the carbon filter (I then kept it mouthpiece pointing down so I wouldn't spill herb, but packing it tightly enough may also do the trick.)
3 - Turn on the torch and start inhaling.

If you skip Step 1, The screen is too close to the herb, and you will get combustion straight away. (Maybe not combustion, as there was no ash, but the "vapor" tasted like crap, and my herb was black...)
Step 2 is so that the herb won't be in contact with the torch flame
The tricky part about step 3, is I think there is a very fine line between when it will vape, and when it will start combusting.
As you are heating the screen, if it gets too hot, the torch flame will (I have no idea of the correct term) "Bleed Through" the screen, and it will be as if there basically was no screen there.
Unfortunately, From what I could see, it would only start to vaporize just before this point, and as there is very little heat retention, you have to keep activating the torch for 1-2 seconds to keep the heat coming...
It's cool for a portable combustion pipe, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking solely to vape with.

Here's an eBay link for anyone who wants to look into it:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Port...U_Tobacciana_Collectables&hash=item231108a7d4
its $16.99 with free shipping

I have only used it once, the way I described above, as it was the only way I could figure out how to get it to vaporize without combusting, so I checked out a you tube vid of it to see if I was using it wrong...
I don't know if the video I saw was just someone who liked it, or if it was from the company itself, but in the video description, it says (I'm paraphrasing) that because there is a flame diffuser, vaporization is occurring... :o

So unless I'm doing something wrong, I think I can safely say that this is not a vaporizer... It's a pipe.

I have just noticed This on eBay, it looks to be more like a VG...
Has anyone tried one of these?
If not, I'll get one and review it... $23 is pretty cheap if this actually works.

If the eBay listing is to be believed, this could be a pretty cool budget portable...
Here are the 2 things that caught my eye:
"All Product Make Of Polished Shinning Lead Free Aluminum Alloy and Stainless Steel"
"Porous Ceramic Heat Insulation Filter For Durable Use"

Frederick McGuire,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Frederick McGuire said:
I have just noticed This on eBay, it looks to be more like a VG...
Has anyone tried one of these?
If not, I'll get one and review it... $23 is pretty cheap if this actually works.

If the eBay listing is to be believed, this could be a pretty cool budget portable...
Here are the 2 things that caught my eye:
"All Product Make Of Polished Shinning Lead Free Aluminum Alloy and Stainless Steel"
"Porous Ceramic Heat Insulation Filter For Durable Use"

Nice find Fred, I'm really tempted to try that, for no good reason other than it's cheap and could be good. It won't make the VaporGenie people happy with their patent, but on the other hand I'm keen to see vapes at a price where they are more accessible to the youth. For me in my mid teens (16-17) smoking MJ WAS a gateway drug- to tobacco and nicotine, as well becoming accustomed to smoking bongs of acrid dirty adulterated soap bar- and I shudder to think about my poor young lungs back then. For a youngster the cost of a vape is a major economic disincentive to start. There's no way I would have spent more than the cost of a pipe on a vape in my teenage years (if they'd even had vapes then) and there needs to be something at the comparable price point. I understand how undesireable it is for the growth of the businesses that have helped the vape industry develop, an industry which is which is still small, but overall I have to conclude that the potential social benefits out weigh this concern IMO. I suspect it's the case that unless produced in China, alongside the competing products, this price point is hard to impossible to achieve, bu there will always be a niche market for higher quality domestically produced models. However, this VG copy is still to expensive compared to a pipe and it's material cost- it should probably still be 1/3rd of the price to remove any economic premium that vaporizing incurrs.

:doh: listen to me - essentially almost advocating a vaporizer for kids (or at least accessible to youths and the poor). Dodgy ground. But desireable?

But anyway, does anyone know much about the process used to colour the aluminium?

WatTyler,
The VG knockoff is made in China and has been verified by the Vaporgenie people to have LEAD CONTAINING paint. Only one of those models is paintless, so I guess the all aluminum one might be okay. But anyway, I think people have reported that even outside of the poison issue, they just don't work as well as a real VG.

Given that the VG is like 45 bucks before discount at some of trusted retailers, it made to high standards and even carries a lifetime warranty apparently, I would avoid the cheap-China equivalent. The VG coil is only 34 after discount from Puffitup, and I like it better than the classic anyway - it's also surprisingly effective and easy vapebong apparatus.

As for the sneakavape, the only way I could see it working as an effective convection vaporizer is if you stacked a bunch of screens so as to better retard the flame. You might want to try adding two or three high quality stainless steel screens under the herbals to see if that helps. I've also seen a newer version of the sneak-a-vape, vapepen, whatever they're selling it as, which has a larger jet lighter portion, with a big red adjustment tab for the flame size.

charliedontsurf,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I think that was a different model CDS. It looked to me like this is the same kind of colouring as is used on grinders and other aluminium pipes, rather than paint?

edit, The VG Coil is getting to price point I'm talking about, but it's still a bit of twisted wire for $34, and isn't going to convince the world. Imagine that same item sold for $10- I think it would convert soooo many more (with benefits throughout the marketplace, as well a socially)

WatTyler,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Cheers FLskwat, having my morning bake and I think I was confused between anodising and the powder coating like on my ssv.

Edit; reading the wiki page I see
Anodized coatings have a much lower thermal conductivity and coefficient of linear expansion than aluminium. As a result, the coating will crack from thermal stress if exposed to temperatures above 80 C
But other than that I can't see any major negatives associated with anodizing. Does anybody have any?

WatTyler,
You guys are probably right, but the picture on the VG site is identical. He even has a black model X'd out.. Hm. http://www.vaporgenie.com/VaporBuddy/about-the-vaporbuddy.html

"The paint on some versions of the VaporBuddy contain lead. We had a sample of the paint from the Vapor Buddy tested and the lead content was found to be 7500 mg/kg. This level is not safe for consumer products and vastly exceeds the federal limit of 600 mg/kg. Click here for the laboratory results."

Insomnia has me posting a bunch of bullshit, sorry guys. I need to upgrade my system so I can fill this time with Red Orchestra 2...

Wattyler, about 10 dollar coil... Well, I think we need to accept that most of our vaporizers, especially those without electronic temperature control, are ridiculously simple and inexpensive to produce. The 7th floor vapes are some of the lowest-cost, highest-margin ones I can think of. They're soldering irons with a glass shroud and a case.. and they work great! The MFLB is in the same kind of boat. These companies compensate by having great customer service and good warranties, just as VG seems to. They have an address, a face, customer service, real warranties - hell, someone you can sue should it burst into flames and burn your house down! These fly-by-night Chinese companies offer none of that. Maybe they can offer a similar product for less, but I sure as shit won't trust them - and they're plagiarizing in most cases!

I have fantasies about going back into glassblowing to offer a few, vaping-centric items which I think would really do well. But I also fear that within 6 months, some crappy glass-sweatshop owner in Shanghai or Bombay will rip off my designs and sell it at one quarter the cost. Chinese companies go from glass studio to glass studio trying to bribe American and European glassblowers into going to China for a month to teach a handful of sweatshop workers how to do their techniques, which those workers in turn teach to the rest, so that a bunch of shitty imitation glass can flood the market, all of it badly made and improperly annealed. Most Chinese companies just don't give a shit. They have no ethics, no scruples, no honor, and no love.

charliedontsurf,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Indeed, you're right, it's clearly the same design- from memory I had though it looked somewhat different. And I thought they had disappeared.

So VG knock-off Vapor Buddy V2.0 perhaps. Listening to customer concerns? :lol:

Anyway, I think I'd personally go for a Lithe vape before this, but as you can tell I like the fact there's almost a very cheap option for folk.

Insomnia sucks. Have a big bowl and count some sheep :zzz:

WatTyler,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
charliedontsurf said:
Wattyler, about 10 dollar coil... Well, I think we need to accept that most of our vaporizers, especially those without electronic temperature control, are ridiculously simple and inexpensive to produce.
Agreed CDS, it's a terrifically inflated market. I guess my point is is that this market is failing socially as it's keeping what should be inexpensive vapes out of the hands of those who should have them the most (the young with virgin pink, unsmoked lungs). I don't know enough economic theory to rationalise it properly. But for this potential market it's not the electric vapes that are needed- it's a cheap simple portable, just like the VG Coil- and so I don't know how important aspects such as reliability (I mean 'cos it's simple- there is a better word- it just escapes me), good customer service or the accountability to the customer actually are. As long as the product is fit for purpose with no dodgy materials, then it's at a price point where that kind of service is neither expected or really needed.

edit: T BREAK :bowdown: I can never manage with that. I fail at the point of isomnia! Good luck!

WatTyler,

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
akwardsauce,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I just picked this up on ebay for the hell of it. It was less than 20 bucks shipped (shipping is the same price as the unit - $9.99). I'll post a review, but I don't have very high hopes. :uhoh:
$%28KGrHqV,!lUE5ZEJnmW5BOd+TyNBFQ~~60_3.JPG

Stu,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I just picked this up on ebay for the hell of it. It was less than 20 bucks shipped (shipping is the same price as the unit - $9.99). I'll post a review, but I don't have very high hopes. :uhoh:
I hope you got the non painted one :)..

Abysmal Vapor,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Yeah, I picked up the silver one. I don't even know the name of this thing. It's listed as simply "BRAND NEW PORTABLE HERBAL VAPORIZER"

Here are the abundant details:
* No Electricity Needed. Used with Lighter, Totally Portable Pocket Size

* Dimension: Approximately 3.7" long and 2.5" height, 1" Diameter for the Bowl

* Easy Set Up with 3 Piece For Easy Use and Cleanup

* Porous Ceramic Heat Insulation Filter For Durable Use

PP2.jpg

We'll see....

Stu,
akwardsauce said:

I actually kind of like the aesthetics of that thing.. I was gonna buy it till I realized the 4 dollar bid wasn't a buy it now!

Some nice glass mouthpieces for 7.50 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Vaporizer...229?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bce4de6d I hope they're US made, great deal if so.

Look at these, loose ceramic filters for an unnamed pipe, 3 for under five bucks... Might be great for homemade vapes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2567c58c5c I actually just purchased these to F around with, I'll report back in a week or two. I have a friend who bought a very similar filter at a headshop and uses it to soak oil into, then places it into a conventional pipe and hits it with a jet lighter. Works well.

Cheapest keck clips I've sever seen: http://www.ebay.com/itm/set-2-keck-...617?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e63fb1aa1

edited to remove an image which was already up

Those interested in the vaporbuddy should see this absurd promotional video, which does claim that its lead free, but who knows? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc8OU0vM5mk And the vaporbuddy ad on Gotvape actually tried to point you towards a lead test, but there's no link. Maybe they've switched to a new lead free paint and did a test to prove it, and just bungled publishing it?

charliedontsurf,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
Yeah saw that click to vape model a page or two back. Not even sure if these newer models "vape" better. I kind of want to see what the knock off of the Lotus vape would look like.

lesvape,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
charliedontsurf said:
akwardsauce said:

I actually kind of like the aesthetics of that thing.. I was gonna buy it till I realized the 4 dollar bid wasn't a buy it now! /

I've got to keep out of this thread- it's encouraging me to spend money I shouldn't be right now. I like the look of that too- pretty wood and looking just like a traditional tobacco pipe. Visually appealing. If it worked well i could see myself owning that (despite the fact I don't want any more flame based vapes). It's $30 on their website http://yiendovape.com/ , although I can't see how you purchase on there- seems more intent on selling me an Easy Vape it seems (make of that what you will :cool: )

Those interested in the vaporbuddy should see this absurd promotional video, which does claim that its lead free, but who knows? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc8OU0vM5mk And the vaporbuddy ad on Gotvape actually tried to point you towards a lead test, but there's no link. Maybe they've switched to a new lead free paint and did a test to prove it, and just bungled publishing it?
Indeed that is an absurd video. And the comments underneath, if to be believed, aren't too positive about how well it works. But whilst not for me, I'm still glad there might be something for folk in the bottom budget range.

This all does make me wonder about the integrity of Vapor Genies patent protection though- it seems to me that both of these designs could be an infringement, and VG claim to have taken action on Vapor Buddy as early as years ago. But these are still being marketed, and now the Yiendo too. So what does that mean?

WatTyler,
Top Bottom