Obscure and Obsolete Vapes

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
akwardsauce said:
:lol: I just got one of these in the sellers auction ending under 5 minutes before this for $13.50, there were 4 other bidders. This one went for $23, with 14 bids. Could it be the power of FC? But then ebay can be a peculiar place in this way from time to time. :hmm:

Anyway, I win! :smug: I like the traditional look of this vape. I'll take a chance for the team. For $13.50 I can't really go too wrong. I'll report back when it arrives.

WatTyler,

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
great timing, bro!!! u just saved yourself $10!!! definitely worth it for that price...

akwardsauce,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Check out the Vapor Buddy for bongs and waterpipes
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAPOUR-PI...a_Smoking_LE&hash=item2eb7edbdd0#ht_852wt_698
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAPOUR-PIPE-BUDDY-/200642863380#vi-desc
$(KGrHqIOKkQE5T+CGZN9BOdgryqUMQ~~60_1.JPG

For under 5. Or best offer. Yet again I'm tempted to9 try something I really don't need, or even want.

Vapor Genie should have been on to something like this years ago.

edit :argh: I caved and put in a best offer of 4, which was accepted automatically (+ 1.99postage). So a vaporiser for 5.99. That's $9.22 in USA money. So we have reached the sub $10 vaporizer at last! This is new ground. So as I predicted in an earlier post above, prepare for the world to be converted (if it works!!!! :dog:)

I'd love to know the lowest acceptable offer. If anyone beats the 4, let us know. They must be dirt cheap wholesale.

WatTyler,

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
WatTyler said:
Check out the Vapor Buddy for bongs and waterpipes
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAPOUR-PI...a_Smoking_LE&hash=item2eb7edbdd0#ht_852wt_698
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAPOUR-PIPE-BUDDY-/200642863380#vi-desc
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/$(KGrHqIOKkQE5T+CGZN9BOdgryqUMQ~~60_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

For under 5. Or best offer. Yet again I'm tempted to9 try something I really don't need, or even want.

Vapor Genie should have been on to something like this years ago.

edit :argh: I caved and put in a best offer of 4, which was accepted automatically (+ 1.99postage). So a vaporiser for 5.99. That's $9.22 in USA money. So we have reached the sub $10 vaporizer at last! This is new ground. So as I predicted in an earlier post above, prepare for the world to be converted (if it works!!!! :dog:)

I'd love to know the lowest acceptable offer. If anyone beats the 4, let us know. They must be dirt cheap wholesale.

i think its obvious already, but please make sure to request the silver colored ones for all of these items (you never know about that paint...). i think that when i saw this one, i remember that they didnt mention the colors that they had...& i was too lazy to ask.

thats awesome how your offer immediately got accepted! now the next buyer should offer lower than that! i was actually considering this one until i realized that its directed to UK buyers & there was no picture or mention of the unpainted option...

let us know if it works!

akwardsauce,
I'm very interested to hear your reviews on your two new vapes Wattyler!

I saw a US ebay ad with a picture of 20 or 30 of the water vaporbuddies and I didn't see one plain anodized aluminum one. You might want to make sure there's no paint on the inside - just be careful. Don't endanger your health by using a vaporizer that seems unhealthy just so you can tell us all how it works, we'll be happy with a "this thing seems dodgy!"

Take care.

I also look forward to FLskwat's Lithe review.

charliedontsurf,

treecityrnd

Stu said:
Yeah, I picked up the silver one. I don't even know the name of this thing. It's listed as simply "BRAND NEW PORTABLE HERBAL VAPORIZER"
We'll see....
Hey Stu! Not to kill your buzz, but...
I tested it about six months ago. The "filter" is thin and combusts very easy (unlike the VG). Very small and the flame intake is close to your face. Hard to clean as the intake is very small. The metal is not "solid". I had the blue one and it started to chip, i.e., it was painted or plated metal. Like a colored grinder (had one of those red SharpStone grinders); when you start seeing less color and more silver, you have to wonder where that color went...did I inhale it? And it gets HOT, HOT, HOT! I threw it in the trash after 2 weeks. :2c:

As for cleaning, i was always worried with ISO once I started to see chips in the metal.

But for $10 you cant really go wrong ;) I'm really curious to see what you think. I've never seen anyone else test this besides me.

Tyler - Very nice find on the WP Vapor Buddies. I bet those would work for both GonG and o-ring slides. And as Charlie and I always say...VG missed the boat on this one! And to piggyback on Charlie again...colored paint, plated metal, or solid?

treecityrnd,
So I bought the three loose ceramic filters that I posted, and I advise that no one else does. I tried one in place of the stock filter and on the glass Vaporgenie and could get virtually no vapor. Air does not move easily through them, and if you manage to get a good seal, you'll see that you've basically created a seal. They might be useful for soaking oils into, placing into a conventional bowl/pipe and then being hit with torch.. But that is all. Their make and quality is also uncertain, so there are potential health implications.

aepkf.jpg

GAbE2.jpg

charliedontsurf,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
treecityrnd said:
Stu said:
Yeah, I picked up the silver one. I don't even know the name of this thing. It's listed as simply "BRAND NEW PORTABLE HERBAL VAPORIZER"
We'll see....
Hey Stu! Not to kill your buzz, but...
I tested it about six months ago. The "filter" is thin and combusts very easy (unlike the VG). Very small and the flame intake is close to your face. Hard to clean as the intake is very small. The metal is not "solid". I had the blue one and it started to chip, i.e., it was painted or plated metal. Like a colored grinder (had one of those red SharpStone grinders); when you start seeing less color and more silver, you have to wonder where that color went...did I inhale it? And it gets HOT, HOT, HOT! I threw it in the trash after 2 weeks. :2c:

As for cleaning, i was always worried with ISO once I started to see chips in the metal.

But for $10 you cant really go wrong ;) I'm really curious to see what you think. I've never seen anyone else test this besides me.

Tyler - Very nice find on the WP Vapor Buddies. I bet those would work for both GonG and o-ring slides. And as Charlie and I always say...VG missed the boat on this one! And to piggyback on Charlie again...colored paint, plated metal, or solid?

I got it today. I still can't tell you the name because it came in a plain black box with no writing whatsoever.

The middle piece that holds the bowl is made of plastic I think. I can't really tell, but it really light, and sounds like plastic to me when I tap it.

I can't believe I tried to use it, but alas I did. Let's just say that you don't always get what you pay for....My wallet is light 10 bucks now and my trash can has a 10-dollar paper weight in the bottom of it.

:|

Stu,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Thanks for the report CDS, and Stu. I'm still waiting on my waterpipe vapor buddy- the seller sent me proof of postage over a week ago, and it's no more that 200 miles away. Should have got here the next day, so I think it's been lost :/ Still, at least it's nothing like that anxious optimistic waiting game for a nice new vape! If it was my Solo 6 days late/lost in the post I would be frantic waiting for the postman each day! :p

WatTyler,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Well my vapor pipe buddy arrived. It just about works, and I don't think there are any major health worries with it- at least it's not painted with lead. It is a black anodised coating though, and some of us on here still wont be comfortable with that :suspicious:.

Not a lot to say really- I can't be bothered to write a detailed review, or even in a structured way (no disrespect- combustion lethargy, due to a bongful of smoke instead of vapor).

The ceramic is white instead of a black/blue that I was expecting, and the flame intake above the ceramic is just non coloured aluminium as you can see on the pics. I actually think there are two thin ceramic filters in there- just guessing from the apparent size.

The intake is smaller than the VG meaning you can't circle the flame quite the same, and so it does very much have a defined hot spot in the middle of the load. This means the hot air flow is really nothing special and it needs a stir after every hit to prevent scorching. I ended up combusting the first couple of times as it's tricky to judge when it's up to temp, although that's common to all of these water pipe & lighter based designs.

Still very much on the learning curve for it at the moment, but I made a vid showing some of the first bowls (after I had combusted those first couple). I'm sure it will meet with some derision from die hard exclusive high end vape fans, and it's certainly not going to win awards or fan following, but as you can see in my vid it does have the potential to operate acceptably for the plebs. But only if handled with care and mastered- I doubt it will work 'out of the box' for the average user.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocu0lL9i-7I
Not the best video or lighting, but you get the idea

Not sure if I will ever use it enough to totally master the vape- I've got too many other much better vapes, and I only really got it to see if it works, and because it was the cheapest vape I've ever seen. I expect it will dwell at the bottom of my draw rarely seeing the light of day, just like my vaporstar, or I will gift it away. I'm pretty confident I wouldn't be poisoning someone. :tinfoil:

Anyway, overall I can give probably a 4 out of 10. Which isn't bad for 4

I'm glad that something like this exists in that price bracket- it is the way it should be. Vapor Genie is a good product and doesn't need to hide behind a patent (to be honest I think that a legal protection for flame diffusion is bullshit, so I have no guilt whatsoever).

I didn't actually realise the vapo-bowl was quite so cheap. I'll maybe try one of these as well to compare, although I think it's virtually the same as my Vapostar.

WatTyler,
Great video with great commentary, Wattyler! Thanks for posting! Cool music too.

Not too bad for such a cheap vape, I suppose.

charliedontsurf,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, pretty good clouds there Wat. I was also surprised to what you got out of the MFLB with that small bubbler, thanks for that one as well.

I haven't tried a Vapostar or VG but I have a glass and a metal Vapo Bowl and like them both a lot. I think the metal one works even better then the glass one, but the glass one became my daily driver because of the GG connection and because it's easier to fill and empty as well as monitor because it's see-through.

Just for comparison, how would you rate the Vapostar and VG on that scale of one to ten and where does the Solo end up?

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Vapor star does not go further than the Vapobowl .. Btw have you removed the screen that is on the cap of your vapobowl ? :) It gives shit taste .. and i think it is melting a bit if you sucking a torch flame.. Also removing it gave me better clouds.. and better airflow.. also easier to clean .. no particles stucked there which can probably combust and light up the whole bowl..
A friend of mine is using a semi-conduction method with the vapo-bowl..(he has the glass version) He takes the bottom screen and put it on the cap .It is conical so there is space between the cap and the screen. He puts there a tiny amount of hash and pre-heats before inhaling.. He is doing big clouds this way.

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I removed the screen from my metal Vapo Bowl and really regret it, I liked it much better with the screen in place. I made a post about it in the Vapo Bowl thread a couple of days ago.

I did heat up the inside of the cap of my glass Vapo Bowl glowing hot numerous times until there were no more visible fumes and then some, and cleaned it with ISO and rinsed it with boiled water after that before I used it. I've compared that with my striped cap a few times and can't really detect a difference in taste, it just combusts faster without a screen and restricts me to taking only small short hits.

OhTheAgony,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
thanks charlie, glad you appreciated it!

OTA- my 1-10 scale doesn't really mean a lot, except for how much I think I like the vape all things considered, but instinctively! :lol: I've no real methodology for my appraisal- kind of makes me a crap reviewer. I'd say the Vapor Genie and the Vaporstar would be around 7 and 6 respectively, and the Solo more an 8/10.

Regarding the vapobowl- I re-read the thread and was looking at them online. EveryoneDoesIt says the bowl is titanium plated? But OTA- you say it was giving visible fumes. And there was someone in the thread saying theirs all bubbled up. My knowledge of metallurgy is virtually nil, but titanium plating wouldn't do this, would it?

I guess solid stainless is what we want, but that doesn't come at low end prices.

WatTyler,

Abysmal Vapor

My is stainless steel .. I bought it from a polish vendor.. I torched it for at least 2 minutes and it didn't bubbled..

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Oh, I was just curious how you liked all of them Wat, no science needed, thanks!

My metal Vapo Bowl is stainless steel as well, I got it here:

Head-nature

Great shop for affordable glass as well.

They also have the 18,8mm glass Vapo Bowl but I needed a 14,4mm so I got mine somewhere else (Azarius). It seems of crappier quality then my metal one and it was this one that fumed, although as far as I could tell the fumes only came from the screen and nothing else. The cap of that one also changed color after just a couple heatings, while the cap of my metal one got way more use and is still pretty shiny. Unfortunately the last one is slightly wider then the glass Vapo Bowl, so I can't use my fav cap with the glass bowl.

There seem to be different qualities Vapo Bowls out there, I think Charlie mentioned it before as well unless I'm confused with his Vapocane review. I'm think I'm gonna get a Vapocane too btw, since I enjoy using these kind of vapes so much and the reviews are so positive.

As far as melting is concerned, here are the melting points of different metals:

click me

No way a torch lighter can melt SS or titanium, it would need at least another 200 degrees Celsius. Sounds like BS to me.

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

It might have been mistaken for the Vapor buddy . I have met it with the description of ceramic vabo bowl.. or just vapo bowl.

Abysmal Vapor,
If you dig through the glass vapobowl thread, iirc there's a thread where a member accidentally had some plastic crap melt on their cap and couldn't remove it. They hit it with a torch for a long period and I think they said the coating boiled off, sort of torture testing it.

charliedontsurf,

Abysmal Vapor

Yep i remember that but, still i did torched mine for 2 minutes .. What torch did that guy used ? Acetylene Torches or Bank breaker's favorite torch :D ..

Abysmal Vapor,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
[h]Yiendo Vape - Do not buy[/h]

Well my yiendo vape arrived from ebay. It's not fit for purpose. Any lurkers out there thinking of it, think of something else instead. It's the worst vape I've ever seen :lol:

The flame diffusers I think are the same ones Charliedon'tsurf posted about a few days back- almost zero porosity, and they're pretty small too. Because of this it's impossible to draw air into the bowl- the flame actually gets sucked down the side, between the bowl and the wood, apparently due to a slight air gap between the wood and metal. You can kind of see a ring where I've twisted it to try and get it to make a seal, but it needs a little more work- you can almost see where the metal bowl hasn't been making contact with the wood at the left hand side there, and that's where the flame wants to go!
dscf0412c.jpg
dscf0414p.jpg

It's a shame because it's quite pretty, in a simple, rustic way. It's just really an aluminium bowl, screwed into a cheap rough wooden pipe, with a screw on flame diffuser. Materials wise it's OK, although I've no idea what material the ceramic flame diffuser might be. I might see if I can mod it somehow with a different diffuser, just for larks, and see if I can make it work.

But it doesn't work now- and the seller well knows it. I sent an email saying it's useless, and I got a full refund including postage straight away, no more questions, and told to keep the vape. They also said they'd work closer with their suppliers in future. But fair play to them for refunding. I only paid $13, plus shipping, but these are on sale on ebay for $30 and the auctions are selling. I feel sorry for folk spending their hard earned on this piece of junk at full price- if you're in the USA it's not all that much more $ for a Coil VG.

WatTyler,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
To bad, I really like the looks of it. Thanks for trying it out though.

I wonder if a Vapo Bowl cap would fit it, the outer diameter of the part that needs to be inserted is between 15 and 16mm (don't have the tool to do a proper measurement at hand right now, sorry) if you want to check it.

OhTheAgony,
Ah, that's a bummer Tyler, but thanks for taking one for the team!

I kind of wanted it to work, the simple design of it was cool, and it was cheap. Figures that it'd just turn out to be a paperweight.

I guess the VG coil and the vapobowls are still kings of the low cost vapes.

charliedontsurf,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
Yes, that is a bummer, but at least they were nice and refunded you the cash while letting you keep the item. Now you guys are having me want to try out the coil and see how it compares to the original VG bat.

lesvape,
Top Bottom