Newbie with general and random vaporizer questions

Zaph

Hey all.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right section of the board, so I apologize if I'm not.

I want to buy a vaporizer, even though I've never used one before. I've been smoking a lot of weed for a lot of years now, and I think it's time for me to take it easier on my respiratory system. I'm not really in a position to try any before I buy one, so I have to take a bit of a leap of faith here and hope for the best.

Anyway, from the few things I'd heard here and there, I almost made a purchase with the mindset that the Volcano was the way to go. I thought the price tag was a bit stiff, so I became a bit hesitant about the whole thing. While I can afford it, I'd feel a bit stupid about buying one if I later found out that I could get a product of comparable quality for less money.

Upon searching a bit more and reading a few threads on random boards, I saw that a few names of vaporizers came up a lot:

-The Volcano, of course
-The Extreme Q V-Tower by Arizer
-Silver Surfer
-HerbalAire
-Da Buddha
-Zephyr Ion

So, here are some questions. Feel free to answer any/all/some/none of them.

1- Have you had experience with any of the vaporizers listed above (or even any unlisted kind you feel should be represented)? If you've only tried one kind, are you satisfied with it? If you've tried multiple kinds, which one did you prefer and why?

2- Is there a difference in terms of how efficiently each model will release the psychoactive ingredients I'm trying to enjoy? If so, does anyone know which kind does the best job of that?

3- Bags VS "whips". Which do you prefer and why? Is there a method that gets you higher than the other?

4- Which of the models listed would be the quietest?

5- Would there be a difference in terms of how much smell is released by each unit? If so, which one of these models would be likely to create the least smell?

6- If anyone else has any other words of wisdom to share on the subject, please feel free to share.

I keep almost buying the Volcano. I just want to make sure I'm not doing the wrong thing.

This ended up being longer than I'd wanted it to be. I'm sorry about that.

Thank you.

Zaph,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
For what it's worth, I'm glad you're doing a little research before buying your first vape. If I can give you some advice, just spend a little time looking through the model specific threads that you have listed. There is a lot of really good information there and you'll learn quickly about some of the differences you mentioned in your questions.

All the models you listed are quality products, and you can't really go wrong with any of them. Stay away from the cheap box and pencil sharpener vapes, and stick with a quality model you listed.

Personally, I would stay away from the Volcano simply because the other models you listed do just as good of a job for a fraction of the price. Don't get me wrong: it's a great product and I'd like to have one in my collection, but for a first vape, it wouldn't be my choice. I have and Extreme Q and am very satisfied with it if that means anything.

Welcome to the forum, and don't be afraid to poke around a bit.

:peace:

Stu,

Zaph

Stu said:
For what it's worth, I'm glad you're doing a little research before buying your first vape. If I can give you some advice, just spend a little time looking through the model specific threads that you have listed. There is a lot of really good information there and you'll learn quickly about some of the differences you mentioned in your questions.

All the models you listed are quality products, and you can't really go wrong with any of them. Stay away from the cheap box and pencil sharpener vapes, and stick with a quality model you listed.

Personally, I would stay away from the Volcano simply because the other models you listed do just as good of a job for a fraction of the price. Don't get me wrong: it's a great product and I'd like to have one in my collection, but for a first vape, it wouldn't be my choice. I have and Extreme Q and am very satisfied with it if that means anything.

Welcome to the forum, and don't be afraid to poke around a bit.

:peace:
Thank you for your reply, your advice, and for the welcome. I'm going to follow your advice and look at model-specific threads for more info on each.

I'll also have to look more closely at the whole bag VS whip thing.

That said, if anyone wants to share more wisdom in this thread, I'll appreciate it. :)

Zaph,

lwien

Zaph, first off........welcome.

Secondly, I totally concur with Stu. You've come to, what I feel is the absolute best resource for vaporizer information anywhere. You're next step is to use it. There is a wealth of information here at your fingertips. When I first came here a few years ago, I spent the better part of a week doing nothing but reading. Once armed with more information, we can then get down to the really nitty gritty of things to help ya nail down the best vape for you.........that is if after doing all this reading, you may find out that you'll be able to nail it down on your own.

Either way, welcome aboard.

lwien,

Zaph

Thanks for the welcome.

I've been reading threads that were more model-specific. While they've answered many questions, they've raised some others in terms of what's best for me. For one thing, I guess now I have to change my "bag VS whip" question to "bag VS whip VS direct draw".

I guess the fact that I haven't tried any kind of vaporizer yet means that there is some merit to choosing the path of versatility, since it would allow me to experience different ways to vape. As far as I can tell, the Extreme Q (bag and whip) and the HerbalAire (bag and direct draw) might be good choices in that respect. However, the fact that they're basically "jacks of all trades and master of none" (insofar as it seems that neither unit is as good as a volcano for the bag method, and neither unit is as good as the Silver Surfer or Purple Days when it comes to whip/direct draw) bothers me a little, since I'm hoping to use whatever I choose to buy for a long time. I guess that also means that durability is a factor I must consider.

More research is in my future, it would seem.

Zaph,
You're considering a volcano whatsoever, so cash is not an issue. Consider a duo of vapes, since I honestly think the volcano does not come within a mile of owning up to its price point. Some people on this forum really truly dig on the Volcano, and their opinions are to be respected as well.

An HA is a superb and truly efficient vape, but only really comes into its own as a bag blower. It's absurdly cheap on Ebay and some other places that it is a wonder it is not more popular. It is not an especially good whip hitting or a great direct draw, although it certainly is functional in those tasks.

The DBV/SSV are tremendous cloud producers, which can also be very efficient. They can be used as a whip for direct inhalation, or are even far better used with a adapter and hooked into a glass piece. Vapes such as the Magickwand, Vriptech wand, Light Saber Vape, Herborizer and the like should also be considered as big-time cloud makers for using out of glass. You can also get great vapes which work with a jet torch, made to be used out of glass on glass jointed pieces, for under 50 dollars. These include the glass vapobowl, vaporstar, and vapocane, and also others.

If you need convenient stealth and have a lower tolerance, the MFLB may be the only vaporizer you ever need.

charliedontsurf,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
You've probably already discovered this, but if not you should be aware that the manufacturers of the Zephyr were forced to shut down, so the device is currently without warranty and spare parts are becoming an issue.

I'm not sure why charliedontsurf mentioned low tolerance in his comment about the MFLB, but other than that his comments are bang on. As he suggests, since you are considering a Volcano then you really should think about a pair, if for no other reason than you never want to be caught without when your single vaporizer stops working. I'd recommend the MFLB for stealth and portability, paired with the EQ or the HA.

Oh wait, I just noticed charliedontsurf said that the DBV/SSV can be efficient. I guess he means at extracting all the actives (true) because in terms of consumption, those two vaporizers have a reputation of going through your stash faster than most.

pakalolo,

Papoose

Zaph said:

1- Have you had experience with any of the vaporizers listed above (or even any unlisted kind you feel should be represented)? If you've only tried one kind, are you satisfied with it? If you've tried multiple kinds, which one did you prefer and why? I have the Extreme Q and like you I was thinking about buying a Volcano before I really researched the subject as I wanted a "bag" vape. Decided on the Q because it was less than half the price and had the bag feature. Came with a full 3 year warranty, so that was nice as well.

2- Is there a difference in terms of how efficiently each model will release the psychoactive ingredients I'm trying to enjoy? If so, does anyone know which kind does the best job of that?All vapes work a little differently, though if you click the "Vaporpedia" link at the top of this page you can see a handy little temperature chart to use as a starting point. As an example, for my Extreme Q if have found the most desirable effects to occur when I vape at 180 degrees, but again, that's just my preference.

3- Bags VS "whips". Which do you prefer and why? Is there a method that gets you higher than the other?Like I mentioned, I wanted a "bag" vape. Just seemed easier to me. I have yet to even unpack the whip attachment and I probably won't.

4- Which of the models listed would be the quietest? The Extreme Q is pretty quiet. Just a little humming noise when the fan is set to it's highest setting . . . and the krinkle of the bag as it inflates lol.

5- Would there be a difference in terms of how much smell is released by each unit? If so, which one of these models would be likely to create the least smell?There is still some smell, but I no longer stink up my entire house. IE: before when I was using a bong I'd smoke in my downstairs den and 10 minutes later you could smell it two floors up. Now the smell barely makes it past my couch in said den.

6- If anyone else has any other words of wisdom to share on the subject, please feel free to share.Like you, I hemmed and hawed about which unit I should buy. Then I found these forums and literally read through hundreds of pages on all manner of vapes before deciding to buy my Q. I've had it for a couple of months and my consumption has dropped drastically and the unit has already paid for itself just from the savings on weed. Even though I've been smoking for over 20 years, I couldn't believe how absolutely ripped I got using it - like, seriously, the first time I used it I thought I was having heart palpitations haha

I keep almost buying the Volcano. I just want to make sure I'm not doing the wrong thing.

Thank you.

Papoose,

Zaph

charliedontsurf said:
You're considering a volcano whatsoever, so cash is not an issue. Consider a duo of vapes, since I honestly think the volcano does not come within a mile of owning up to its price point. Some people on this forum really truly dig on the Volcano, and their opinions are to be respected as well.

An HA is a superb and truly efficient vape, but only really comes into its own as a bag blower. It's absurdly cheap on Ebay and some other places that it is a wonder it is not more popular. It is not an especially good whip hitting or a great direct draw, although it certainly is functional in those tasks.

The DBV/SSV are tremendous cloud producers, which can also be very efficient. They can be used as a whip for direct inhalation, or are even far better used with a adapter and hooked into a glass piece. Vapes such as the Magickwand, Vriptech wand, Light Saber Vape, Herborizer and the like should also be considered as big-time cloud makers for using out of glass. You can also get great vapes which work with a jet torch, made to be used out of glass on glass jointed pieces, for under 50 dollars. These include the glass vapobowl, vaporstar, and vapocane, and also others.

If you need convenient stealth and have a lower tolerance, the MFLB may be the only vaporizer you ever need.

Well on the one hand, I can afford a volcano, but on the other hand, the reason I even started looking at other models was because the Volcano's price tag was so stiff. It's all about appeasing the wife. :) By buying a combination of, say, a HA and SSV, I'm spending roughly the same money as I would have on a Volcano. That said, I'd probably have a much more versatile set-up, which is something worth considering.

I'm a little reluctant to get anything for 50$. I've read a few threads here and there from people who had spent around 50$ on a vaporizer, and the line that usually followed was "you get what you pay for". I guess I should read up on the specific models you mentioned, since I wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity to score a good product at a low price.

My tolerance is ridiculously high, unfortunately. I smoke much more than the recommended daily dosage of cannabis and have been doing so for about 3 decades. Stealth isn't a huge issue, but smell is. It's not about any strangers smelling it, it's about the fact that my wife doesn't smoke and is really getting sick of the smell. I'm, curious about the MFLB, though.

Zaph,

Zaph

pakalolo said:
You've probably already discovered this, but if not you should be aware that the manufacturers of the Zephyr were forced to shut down, so the device is currently without warranty and spare parts are becoming an issue.

I'm not sure why charliedontsurf mentioned low tolerance in his comment about the MFLB, but other than that his comments are bang on. As he suggests, since you are considering a Volcano then you really should think about a pair, if for no other reason than you never want to be caught without when your single vaporizer stops working. I'd recommend the MFLB for stealth and portability, paired with the EQ or the HA.

Oh wait, I just noticed charliedontsurf said that the DBV/SSV can be efficient. I guess he means at extracting all the actives (true) because in terms of consumption, those two vaporizers have a reputation of going through your stash faster than most.

Thank you. I think a combination of a bag unit and a MFLB might just be what I need. Now I just have to sort out whether a HA or an EQ is better for me.

Zaph,

Zaph

Papoose said:
Zaph said:

1- Have you had experience with any of the vaporizers listed above (or even any unlisted kind you feel should be represented)? If you've only tried one kind, are you satisfied with it? If you've tried multiple kinds, which one did you prefer and why? I have the Extreme Q and like you I was thinking about buying a Volcano before I really researched the subject as I wanted a "bag" vape. Decided on the Q because it was less than half the price and had the bag feature. Came with a full 3 year warranty, so that was nice as well.

2- Is there a difference in terms of how efficiently each model will release the psychoactive ingredients I'm trying to enjoy? If so, does anyone know which kind does the best job of that?All vapes work a little differently, though if you click the "Vaporpedia" link at the top of this page you can see a handy little temperature chart to use as a starting point. As an example, for my Extreme Q if have found the most desirable effects to occur when I vape at 180 degrees, but again, that's just my preference.

3- Bags VS "whips". Which do you prefer and why? Is there a method that gets you higher than the other?Like I mentioned, I wanted a "bag" vape. Just seemed easier to me. I have yet to even unpack the whip attachment and I probably won't.

4- Which of the models listed would be the quietest? The Extreme Q is pretty quiet. Just a little humming noise when the fan is set to it's highest setting . . . and the krinkle of the bag as it inflates lol.

5- Would there be a difference in terms of how much smell is released by each unit? If so, which one of these models would be likely to create the least smell?There is still some smell, but I no longer stink up my entire house. IE: before when I was using a bong I'd smoke in my downstairs den and 10 minutes later you could smell it two floors up. Now the smell barely makes it past my couch in said den.

6- If anyone else has any other words of wisdom to share on the subject, please feel free to share.Like you, I hemmed and hawed about which unit I should buy. Then I found these forums and literally read through hundreds of pages on all manner of vapes before deciding to buy my Q. I've had it for a couple of months and my consumption has dropped drastically and the unit has already paid for itself just from the savings on weed. Even though I've been smoking for over 20 years, I couldn't believe how absolutely ripped I got using it - like, seriously, the first time I used it I thought I was having heart palpitations haha

Thank you.

Thank you very much. You make a good case for the EQ. I'd like to hear from someone who's tried both the EQ and the HA, but I think the models are similar enough that very few people own both.

Zaph,

lwien

^^ There are 3 or 4 threads here comparing the two. Search on HerbalAire and it will bring them up.

lwien,

Zaph

lwien said:
^^ There are 3 or 4 threads here comparing the two. Search on HerbalAire and it will bring them up.
Yeah, that's the first thing I did after my last post. I'm reading a couple of threads on the subject right now. Thank you.

Zaph,

Zaph

I'm looking at ebay ads. Since I'm in Canada, I'd like to avoid buying vapes that have to pass the border, so I looked for a seller that was based in Canada. I've found one that carries both items (as well as the EQ - he used to have Volcanoes too, but the ads expired).

http://cgi.ebay.ca/HerbalAire-H2-1-...ltDomain_2&hash=item27b93650bd#ht_3690wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Magic-Flight-Lau...ltDomain_2&hash=item27ba6b5d73#ht_3419wt_1139

Are these reasonable prices for both items, or would I be getting ripped off?

Zaph,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Those are reasonable prices (although I can't say whether they're the lowest) and vaporizers.ca is a reliable seller. I have purchased from them several times and always received prompt service: 1-2 days to fulfill the order, then delivery by Canada Post, which has always been next day for me.

pakalolo,

Zaph

It's done. This board has actually been very helpful to my selection.

I have ordered the two items I linked above. I should get them in a few days.

Thank you all very much for your help.

Zaph,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I apologize for not mentioning this before. Be aware that someone will have to sign for the shipment. It is discreetly wrapped, so there's no concern there.

pakalolo,

Zaph

pakalolo said:
I apologize for not mentioning this before. Be aware that someone will have to sign for the shipment. It is discreetly wrapped, so there's no concern there.
My wife will be home, so there's no problem. Thanks.

Some guy on some other board is now telling me that I shouldn't buy the HerbalAire because it's not nearly as good with bags as the Volcano is. I think he might just have the old pump, but either way, it's too late to worry about it. I've ordered it, so the die is cast.

Zaph,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I think you'll be happy. I have no idea what he means by that, but I am pretty sure both of the devices you bought will serve you well.

pakalolo,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
FWIW I own an EQ, MFLB, Woodeez (comparable but not the same as the Purple Days), and a Vapobowl and I like every single one for different reasons. I could list them all, but I wont unless you'd like me to Zaph. Don't want to bore people.

However, a family member owns a Volcano. I use it on a regular basis and am familiar with its build, use, and vapor production. I will say that there is no other vape that I have owned or tried that comes close to ease of use and consistency in taste. The bags out of the Volcano always seem more tasty then any of the vapes I own. The Woodeez gets close but the Cano blows very consistent tasty bags (of course, until your herbs start to turn brown.)

I honestly feel that if you can afford the Volcano and are comfortable with spending that amount, it really is an amazing product. An another note, if you are on a budget, you can get a very good quality vape for much less.

finchrock24,
Just wanted to say in response to some of the above:

I say the MFLB might satisfy a low tolerance user completely, because it is very efficient at what it does and can be used virtually anywhere, but is not exactly a huge cloud producer. I think for alot of people it could be the end of their vape purchases, outside of a nicer charger and a few more batteries.

The DBV can be made quite efficient by using an extreme elbow screen, or by using a large, flexible screen and shoving it halfway into the male glass-on-glass joint, so that the bowl is closer to the element. Then, the dial is set to its bare minimum, rather than say at 11:30-1:00 oclock depending on preference and cure when using the normal setup. This really helps get alot of low temp clouds and slow down consumption. I guess the SSV would need the ground glass heater cover for this to apply, but I think there are mods for the SSV HC too.

50 dollars is a very questionable amount to spend on an electronic vaporizer perhaps, but for ones which work on very simple principles such as the vapocane (100% glass outside of its screen, and a very, very effective vaporizer), it's not questionable at all. I'm surprised it doesn't get more love on this forum.

charliedontsurf,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I would have suggested a duo setup also. A SSV and a PD covers the gamut of what you want and need and of the highest build and performance quality.
Many of us obsessed vaporists have a collection of not only vaporizers but accessories such as bongs that enhance the vaporizing experience dramatically.
I have purchased used vapes and have been happy - usually I find that used vapes on craigslist are truly "hardly used" - it's just not the seller's thing and they want to get rid of it.
Used vapes for sale through this site in the general section tend to be really used but also generally well taken care of.
Best to check on the manufacturer's warranty policies before purchasing a used vape. For example the "vaporbox" which is a great in store brand box vape has a lifetime warranty.
The Vapor Brothers also has an excellent warranty, even if purchased used, as mine was.
Never tried a Volcano and none of my friends are rich enough to afford one so I'll probably never even try one but I don't feel that I'm missing out on anything that sensational compared with what I already have.
Good luck and have fun with your new appliances.

jeffp,

Vamp

2. It is possible you will see more efficiency from a whip style vape over a bag simply because you can chose to load more or less herb. With a bag you usually need to put a full bowl in to get consistent results.

3. I prefer whips for personal use, and bags for a party environment.

4. All whip style models will be quieter (and as quiet as each other, silent in fact). The bag ones you listed are all high quality and will be about as loud/quiet as each other depending on your frame of reference.

5. All models should emit about as much smell.

6. Words of wisdom . . . Just do it. If you are either a really heavy user or frequently have lots of people over that are going to use it I'd go with the Volcano if cost is not a burden for you. Otherwise you'll probably get more bang for you buck with another unit if you are a more moderate user.

Vamp,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Vamp said:
.....2. It is possible you will see more efficiency from a whip style vape over a bag simply because you can chose to load more or less herb. With a bag you usually need to put a full bowl in to get consistent results.....
But you don't have to blow a full bag.....

Well Zaph has already purchased, but I won't let that stop me :lol:

My first vape was a Volcano. I bought it with the intention of giving up smoking, but I ended up owning it for almost a year before I managed to vape exclusively. This was in the days before many portable vapes were available, and so every time I was away from home I would necessarily resort to combusting, which meant I could never really kick the habit, and would most often still end up smoking at home. Whilst still smoking I found the volcano vapor to be too 'light' in general to provide the instant hit and gratification that I was accustomed to through combustion. (once properly tuned in to vaping it does give gratification)

The invention of the 'I-Inhale' gave me the portable vape ability that allowed me to more or less quit combustion (I wouldn't recommend one though- I'm on my 4th (plus 1 extra spare, gratis for all my troubles), but am now out of warranty, so not sure how much longer I will be an Iolite user- however long these last- I won't repurchase), but I did still find my self sometimes (often) craving a heavier hhit, and so would have a pipe or bong.

Buying an SSV filled this void for me and allowed me to finally quit combustion all together, and I haven't intentionally done so since.

So based on my experience, I'd have to say that if you are a habitual smoker looking to switch to vaping all together then something heavy hitting like a whip vape or bong wand provides the easiest transition.

If you're a lighter user, just looking for the high, rather than any kind of imitation to smoking, then many of the other more 'efficient' (in this context by which I mean less clouds) vape designs can fulfill your needs. :2c:

WatTyler,
Top Bottom