New to medicating; regret first vape choice - looking for a second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crumpet

Hey folks. I'm just starting on my medical marijuana journey - until very recently, I'd never smoked/vaped anything in my 35 years.

After a bunch of research, I had decided on the MFLB. I understood that it had a learning curve, and I thought I was prepared to deal with that. It was portable, which was important at the time - my husband had asked that I do any medicating outside.

Well, I really suck at using the MFLB. I don't blame the product; I can see how people could love it - I blame my complete lack of prior experience with ingesting anything other than food and liquid. I've tried a number of techniques and watched a good amount of videos - I estimate that I've gone through about 15 trenches so far, and haven't really experienced anything (I told you - I suck!). I admit that there is a bit of anxiety at play here, and relaxing would help. I'm working on it.

At any rate, I'm looking for something else - and once I've got more experience under my belt, I'll try the MFLB out again. Unfortunately I am not in a position to try anything before I buy (I don't know anyone!), or have anyone demonstrate how to use something properly to me (other than youtube videos).

Criteria:
- does NOT need to be portable (my husband has rescinded his request that I medicate outside)
- needs to be very easy to use for someone as inexperienced as I am (I don't mind extra bells and whistles if they will enhance my use once I've mastered the basics)
- will be used for dry herb only (does not need to be ultra-efficient, however I'd like to avoid waste if I can)
- something good for daily use
- I will be the sole user
- $250 - $300 is upper limit, though lower is better if products are considered equal
- needs to be available from an online canadian retailer (don't like dealing with cross-border shipping; also, I'd like to avoid purchasing used)

I hope I've remembered everything. From the research I've done, I anticipate a lot of recommendations will be for the EQV/tower or SSV - so if your recommendations come with any first-time-user thumbs-up anecdotes, it would be greatly appreciated.

Crumpet,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Sounds to me you would do well with the Ariser Solo from Planetvape.ca

It is a very user friendly vape, and can also be plugged in with a wall adapter (sold separately) if you want to save the battery. It is both portable and stationary. PlanetVape is a very friendly, reputable vendor in Canada. They carry the latest model, and also carry accessories and upgraded stems for it as well (soon to be back in stock). Here is a video that gives a quick run down on the solo, and what you can expect it to do.

jambandphan03,

NewVape

What a guy!
Welcome Crumpet, you're in the right place. You'll find the answers here. I will also recommend PlanetVape you should have 0 problems with them.

As far as vaporizers I use use two mainly. The first is a log style vape of which is a great vape, but I'm not sure that you'll be able to find one sold in Canada. The other one I use is a Life Saber Vaporizer. This is made by the folks at 7th floor, the same guys who make the SSV and DBV. Basically all 3 work in the same way with little variations. I can say is that I love it. Easy to use. Very little learning curve.

NewVape,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
It is a very user friendly vape, and can also be plugged in with a wall adapter (sold separately) if you want to save the battery.

I thought you couldn't use it while it was charging? Maybe I misunderstood and there is a separate accessory. :-).

Anyhow, yeah the Solo looks good. Have you looked the Arizer Extreme Q as well? That's a home unit, and my first vape. I bought that and a WISPR (for portability). It worked really well. I also have a Cloud, but that's a serious unit, and I ordered a Pax.

Hope this helps.

newVaper420,

DreamTime

Sounds like the EQ would be a solid choice based on your criteria.
I've had my EQ for almost 2 years and loved it from day one. I use it almost every day, and I have never had a problem with it.

Unlike portable vapes that frequently have steep learning curves and require very specific techniques to work effectively, the EQ is very forgiving.

Some first time tips:
Let the EQ warm up for at least 10-20 minutes (a cold EQ won't hit for sh*t).
Use a temperature setting between 190-220 (lower temps = lighter headier highs, higher temps = stonier, couch lock kinda highs)
Start by using the whip and elbow packs (keep it simple)

I can tell you that I had never used a vape before I got my EQ, and I was getting huge clouds out of it within 30 minutes of messing around.

Final thoughts:
The SSV is often regarded as a better unit than EQ, but it is more expensive. If you've got the money for an SSV, I'd seriously consider saving a few more $$ and getting a VapeXhale Cloud... which will be my next vape when I can afford it.

DreamTime,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
it sounds to me like you are locked into an arizer product. lucky for you, they're both good and backed by an excellent company!

stickstones,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<

I've heard nothing but great things about log vapes for solo users. But as NewVape points out, they probably aren't that easy to find in Canada.:(

I've only used three vapes, the MFLB, the EQ, and the SSV so I cannot make suggestions on any others. IMO the EQ takes too much to pack a cyclone bowl, while the elbow pack works great but is not the EQ's designed purpose and is unwieldy at stirring.

My suggestion at your budget would be the SSV + vapor brothers mini-whip if your a light smoker combo'd with the standard wand when you like to indulge. Very little preheat time and the wand plus heater cover mating really makes for an intimate session. It becomes a great ritual, very calming. And as pointed out to me by the vape king himself, Vitolo, you can use the SSV in combo with the Oil diffuser, releasing calming and therapeutic essential oils into the air while your vaping. :clap:

And don't forget to budget for a nice little bong. :science: It's much funner than com-busting through as they stay much cleaner and sessions last much longer. It helps cool, moisten, and gauge the size of your hits.

OF

Please let me suggest you consider the Herbal Aire. Under $200 (Internet price, $250 from the maker), made in Canada in fact. Simple to load and use (a single knob to select temperature. You can use it with a hose (whip), use the included pump to fill the included bags (like the $600 Volcano does), an excellent way to get used to the idea of vapor in that you deal with a bag of vapor, not a machine, when you go to take it in (easier to focus) and when you get the bug to try water pipes, it couples up to them very easily.

http://www.herbalaire.com/
http://www.amazon.com/HerbalAire-Vaporizer/dp/B000QUXKH4

Being a convection vape it's one of the easiest and most foolproof schemes out there, IMO a great way to get started.

Nothing more to buy except herb and the water pipe if you go that way.

Good luck, lots of good options out there IMO.

OF

OF,
Reactions: t-dub

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
HA was my first vape, its a great way to go. Economical, durable, multi-mode . . . hard to beat. My spouse tried the "medicate outside" thing with me and it was a no-go from the start, I decided to nip it in the bud so-to-speak. She is used to the smell now, but for me medicating outside, every time, was just not a realistic option.

Funny how the smell didn't bother her when we were dating in college . . .

bigtvapes

Da Buddah was my first vape followed closely by my Puffit. Can't recommend the Puffit because it's basically solely for stealth usage and that doesn't seem to be your main focus.

I like Da Buddah alot. Took me a few tries to really get it where I have it perfect every time, but it's a simple device really. You just load it, set a dial, and work on your draw speed until you are satisfied. People complained about the "learning curve" but I think it's actually pretty easy to get the hang of. I've had people use it at parties and stuff everyone enjoyed themselves, and I'm talking people who've never vaped in their lives. IMO the major advantage DBV has as a newbie to vaping is that it delivers a nice, thick hit (something more akin to what smokers are used to) and that it's a simple device with not much to clean/control.

I honestly liked the MFLB a lot though when I used it. I used it with super ground up materials, and had a blast. Maybe you could keep at that and see how it works for you.

bigtvapes,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
I've heard nothing but great things about log vapes for solo users. But as NewVape points out, they probably aren't that easy to find in Canada.:(

I've only used three vapes, the MFLB, the EQ, and the SSV so I cannot make suggestions on any others. IMO the EQ takes too much to pack a cyclone bowl, while the elbow pack works great but is not the EQ's designed purpose and is unwieldy at stirring.

My suggestion at your budget would be the SSV + vapor brothers mini-whip if your a light smoker combo'd with the standard wand when you like to indulge. Very little preheat time and the wand plus heater cover mating really makes for an intimate session. It becomes a great ritual, very calming. And as pointed out to me by the vape king himself, Vitolo, you can use the SSV in combo with the Oil diffuser, releasing calming and therapeutic essential oils into the air while your vaping. :clap:

And don't forget to budget for a nice little bong. :science: It's much funner than com-busting through as they stay much cleaner and sessions last much longer. It helps cool, moisten, and gauge the size of your hits.

X2 Tweak hit it right on the head. I love my ssv, and would also recommend a mini whip. If you weren't opposed to shipping cross borders. I would also recommend a log vape like an HI/UD given your needs it sounds like it would work well, big clouds plus they are pretty damn efficient. I really love my ssv though that thing is a cloud making machine. I leave it on at vaping temp about 12-18 hrs a day, but it warms up in a less then five min. I was vaping monster clouds with my ssv in less then 15 mins from the delivery guy getting in his van. I vaped without a bong for almost 9 months, since then have pretty much only vaped using water filtration.

Puffers,

weedemon

enthusiast
welcome to FC crumpet. I 2nd the solo suggestion that's a solid lil vape! I'd also suggest the SSV/DBV if you can find a cdn retailler. they are also excellent. :)

for the solo is recommend Planetvape.ca :) they are great people! :)

weedemon,

deadc0ffee

Inquisitive vaporist
The DBV/SSV and Extreme are good choices for desktop vapes and are pretty much "plug-and-play."

The inhalater inh004, pax, solo and davinci (though that one has taste/smell issues) are all good portable choices to consider if you're not set on getting a desktop. They're the portables that require the least effort and are the most adaptable (no counting, paying attention to breath intake rate, etc.)

deadc0ffee,

dorkus_molorkus

18mths ago the herbalaire (HA) was my 1st vape, 6-8wks later I bought a da buddha (DBV),

6-8weeks later i bought a solo and was in vapor heaven

6mths later i bought an underdog (UD) cause it delivered slightly bigger hits, but could be left on 24/7.
After 3mths I broke my underdog & stoner me took ages to send it back to the US, I just picked up my trusty solo & powered on.

I once broke out my DBV just to see if I was missing anything, it couldnt hold a candle to my solo or UD.
I ran 3 grams thru it and put it away never to see the light of day again.

The solo can take a total flogging. I have used it extensivly & have put about 2-2.5 lb thru it easy when it was my daily driver and it still gets used for the 1st sesh of the day most days.

Arizer solo is my vote.

produces massive clouds
virtually no learning curve
mates well with glass
and can travel around the house as well as out and about (awesome for sitting around in yr underpants watching tv while the spouse is out vaped out of yo scone)

hoptimum

Hi, Crumpet,
Youre in the right place
The advice here is as good as it gets, and the posters are experienced with just about every vaporizer on the market. For what it's worth, a female friend of mine also wasn't entirely pleased with her mflb. I introduced her to the Arizer Solo and she loved it. Simple to use right away and quite efficient. Good luck on your quest.

Hey folks. I'm just starting on my medical marijuana journey - until very recently, I'd never smoked/vaped anything in my 35 years.

After a bunch of research, I had decided on the MFLB. I understood that it had a learning curve, and I thought I was prepared to deal with that. It was portable, which was important at the time - my husband had asked that I do any medicating outside.

Well, I really suck at using the MFLB. I don't blame the product; I can see how people could love it - I blame my complete lack of prior experience with ingesting anything other than food and liquid. I've tried a number of techniques and watched a good amount of videos - I estimate that I've gone through about 15 trenches so far, and haven't really experienced anything (I told you - I suck!). I admit that there is a bit of anxiety at play here, and relaxing would help. I'm working on it.

At any rate, I'm looking for something else - and once I've got more experience under my belt, I'll try the MFLB out again. Unfortunately I am not in a position to try anything before I buy (I don't know anyone!), or have anyone demonstrate how to use something properly to me (other than youtube videos).

Criteria:
- does NOT need to be portable (my husband has rescinded his request that I medicate outside)
- needs to be very easy to use for someone as inexperienced as I am (I don't mind extra bells and whistles if they will enhance my use once I've mastered the basics)
- will be used for dry herb only (does not need to be ultra-efficient, however I'd like to avoid waste if I can)
- $250 - $300 is upper limit, though lower is better if products are considered equal
- needs to be available from an online canadian retailer (don't like dealing with cross-border shipping; also, I'd like to avoid purchasing used)

I hope I've remembered everything. From the research I've done, I anticipate a lot of recommendations will be for the EQV/tower or SSV - so if your recommendations come with any first-time-user thumbs-up anecdotes, it would be greatly appreciated.

hoptimum,

dorkus_molorkus

I must confess that my UD is my daily driver but its not for everybody, neither is the solo.

But IMO the solo ticks off a lot of boxes for a newb vaporist & I was a hardcore combuster that required (and still do) some serious medicating & the solo is very equipped to turn your world sideways quickstix.

research is the key, remember this is an investment in more ways than your wallet, your health & physical wellbeing is at stake as well. Not to mention that everyones needs are different to boot.

So take the time to read a bit, I highly recommend vaporpedia, see the tab at the top of the page. It has the condensed good news right there. check it out. :tup:

dorkus_molorkus,
Reactions: NewVape

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
Unfortunately I am not in a position to try anything before I buy (I don't know anyone!), or have anyone demonstrate how to use something properly to me (other than youtube videos).

dude, do yourself a favor & get into contact with a member named vitolo (uncle vito)...hes a super kind & helpful guy & has MANY videos on youtube that demonstrate different vapes. (the vids may be invitation only - im not sure but some of them used to be)...but he also holds seminars for patients and advises them what to look for based on their preferences.

i think hes even got a vid that will show you how to hit the shit out of the mflb...dont give up on it yet, its a really good vape...i still use mine.

just fyi, whenever any of my friends wanna hit mine (cuz i take it to like every bar/club/concert/movie/sporting event/restaurant/etc i go to) for the first time, this is what i tell them:

u gotta hold the battery down for about 10 sec (until you see "smoke" when looking through the hole) then "kiss" the hole without letting the battery go...then wait another 10 sec or so, then kiss it again...

keep doing that till u got a good lungful & hold as long as possible...only when u take ur last "kiss" let the battery go. 1 battery lasts me a whole night out...sometimes u gotta twist the battery if u dont see the light at first. i sometimes have to use 2 batteries per night...

but the basic theory is, u gotta heat up the chamber (filling it up with vapor) then quickly suck that vapor out, then let it build up heat & fill up again, then suck it out...so its not a long continuous breath but short bursts while holding it in for a while...everyone enjoys it when i make them do it right...

hope that works, but def seek out uncle vito - hes a guru & loves to help anyone!

weedemon

enthusiast
if you buy a solo, make sure you get a PVHES modified stem too! these improve the airflow big time and make the experience much more enjoyable for me. the solo is my portable device now these days. I prefer it even over the pax.

weedemon,

Crumpet

Thanks so much for the advice and recommendations, everyone. I'm going to do some more reading before deciding.

Crumpet,

max

Out to lunch
If you don't need a portable I wouldn't consider one. Makes your cost of operation higher sooner or later. I also wouldn't recommend a dual mode model like the Extreme or herbalAire unless you're sure you'd be using the bag fill option. You mention the SSV, and from years of experience with it, it's an excellent choice. I've also used the less expensive DBV, which shares the same electronics and heater, and gives you one hand free, vs. the SSV, in place of the slightly richer but less predictable hits of the DBV. Another vote for Planetvape and member discounts are available. http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/retailer-discussion-discounts.1802/

max,
Reactions: NewVape

Deedub

u gotta hold the battery down for about 10 sec (until you see "smoke" when looking through the hole) then "kiss" the hole without letting the battery go...then wait another 10 sec or so, then kiss it again...
I agree with akwardsauce, don't give up on mflb quite yet! It is my first vape as well. I actually do the first 5-10 seconds like akwardsauce does but instead of pauses I do a very long very slow inhale, always holding the battery in, until my lungs are at capacity.

I will have to try akwardsauce's way, but my way has been doing pretty good for me so far.

Deedub,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
While your deciding on another vape, perhaps you want to spend some time with us, in the MFLB thread. I haven't seen many people walk away, without the answers they seek. You're not some mutant that can't possibly use the MFLB, you just need to find your best way to use it. It will get you medicated and it will do it, as good as any other tool out there. I've always said, the MFLB is as good as the user, or the effort put into it. Plus, its a great group of people, with a warranty second to none.

I'm not trying to persuade you from getting another vape. As you can see, I'm not limited to one and I'm a nOOb in comparison to a lot of these guys. I'm just saying, learn how to use that wonderful little box you have and you'll find it a best friend.

The Magic-Flight Box

OF

While your deciding on another vape, perhaps you want to spend some time with us, in the MFLB thread.

Listen to the man. BDV might be irresistible to women and a world class dancer and all but he also knows his LB stuff like few others. I'm sure you'd get the same advice from Vitolo himself (Sage of the High Desert) should he happen by. With 'the box' the user is definitely an important factor in things. But notice the length of the thread? Pushing 800 pages? That's a whole lot of happy customers there......

OF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom