Need Help Choosing A Portable Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Got it. I was hoping I could help you find a quick (computer) fix so you could watch videos and photo's, but blindness is a little out of my league I'm afraid :lol:

It could be hard for you to know when it's time to charge the Solo perhaps. The battery indicator works with LED's, so it's visual only. You'd have to remember approximately how long you used it to know where you're at juice-wise. Same thing goes for the heat settings (the setting is indicated by the same LED's that double as a battery indicator), but that shouldn't be to hard to overcome since it simply goes up a setting with each press of the 'up' button or down one setting with each press of the 'down' button..

There are beeps that sound when you turn it on and when you turn it off (or when it turns itself off after 12 minutes of use), but that are the only auditive signals it gives. You won't be able to tell when it's heating or not, but I don't think that would be a huge thing to overcome. If you keep in mind not to hit it until after a minute or two after turning it on you should be fine. If you have a good sense of smell you can probably notice that way too when it reaches vaping temperature because I can always smell a little whisk of vapor when it's ready.

Stu already answered all your questions I think. The glass stems don't break to easily, I only broke one when I knocked my Solo of a coffee-table once with a stem inserted. They'll only fall out if you keep it upside down, but the tighter ones will stay in even then.

OhTheAgony,

weedemon

enthusiast
yep i do not own one, but I think the solo sounds like the best option for you too!

weedemon,
i really wanna try the mflb but i know no one close that has one. i just hate to spend the money and then not like it....id be stuck with it. the 3 im considering are the no2, solo and mflb. the solo sounds kick ass but i wanna "see it" and...i don't know anyone that has one of those either. *sighs* decisions....decisions...

mrs.sunshine,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
If you're willing to leave your approximate location on this forum someone who has the vapes your interested in from your area might be willing to help you out. Perhaps it would be better even to make a new thread for that with a title that clearly states your intentions for more exposure.

OhTheAgony,

max

Out to lunch
mrs.sunshine said:
i really wanna try the mflb but i know no one close that has one. i just hate to spend the money and then not like it....id be stuck with it. the 3 im considering are the no2, solo and mflb. the solo sounds kick ass but i wanna "see it" and...i don't know anyone that has one of those either. *sighs* decisions....decisions...
As good as the LB is, I don't think it's the best choice for you. There's too much conduction going on. You'd be better served with more convection, where you don't have to inspect the bowl contents to decide if you've vaped it all.

max,
we.. im kinda in the mid south mid west. if someone had portible vapes to show me around say, arkansas, missouri, kentucky or tennessee, i could most likely get some hands on lookin and trying out.

why inspect bowl to see if you've vaped it all? i can taste it...if it doesn't give me any effect, its done with.

mrs.sunshine,

max

Out to lunch
why inspect bowl to see if you've vaped it all? i can taste it...if it doesn't give me any effect, its done with.
Depends on how much you've got loaded. This vape needs a fine grind and you're going to need a lot of stirring, or a high temp, to make sure all the herb has been exposed to the heat. With a strictly convection model, it's much easier to depend on the air flow to penetrate all the herb. The finer the grind, the more the herb resists air flow. So you've got two issues going against you, as far as depending on the vape design to vape all the herb untouched.

max,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
As I know iolite is not that much visual. If you turn it on, it starts hissing, when ignited, the sound changes and you can feel warm water steam coming from the exhaust. When you hear it stop hissing, it's on the right temp. You can taste it when its done (and its done evenly without stirring). Then turn it off and wait till it stops hissing.

Seek,

SD_haze

you wouldnt be able to see when it ignites tho (need to see a orange light come on)

actual usage would be simple enough tho

SD_haze,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
The orange light is the only visual thing. But it can be also heard (when it is ignited, the sound changes) and feeled - warm steam starts coming from the exhaust. So placing hand over the exhaust for checking if ignited is as trustworthy as seeing the light. In bright lighting that LED can be weak and almost invisible - then I check exhaust with hand to make sure it's heating.

Also there is WISPR, it is a better, more expensive iolite. I've heard it gives better clouds than iolite and its improved in some ways.

I've recomended MFLB before because it fit into everything written in first post. Didn't know about blindness then. True it's very visual responsive, so it doesn't count as an option. The iolite/WISPR don't fit that well - it is not heating up and cooling down that quickly. Better to finish a bowl in a sesh than to hit it and let it cool down and save herb for later. But they're the least visual portables I can think of.

Seek,
u folks would b surprised at what i can do/figure out without vision or hearing it. My sense of t ouch is out of this world. I would be able to tell if something was heating no problem.

but i want a vape, if possible, that won't leak vapor or put off the scent of my weed when its heatin up. the one i have now is horrible at that! altho there are those blasted lights on vapes that blink and signal when its ready to hit, i don't need 'em. i just use timing. 2 mins, start hittin. if its not to the temp i wanted it, it'll get there. so i may start out hitting at a lower temp, but it still gives me clouds and i eventuaally get to the temp. iont know. i just know i get stoned out of my mind and love every second of it. :) to me, that the best! soakin up the sunshine. i haven't always been blind, so i start seeing things in my head, flashin colors and things from my memory. it's a trip. my thoughts and pictures in the head go so fast its hard to keep up with them. hahaha

mrs.sunshine,

SD_haze

the iolite/wispr definitely doesnt have a noticeable smell heating up, and the faint one if there you do notice is gone very quickly.

It does make sound when heating up if you were trying to use it in a quiet room with people you are trying to be stealthy with.
It's a kind of hissing like gas, thats on for a little bit constantly until it heats up, and then you hear a ~3 sec hiss every few mins or so

it is quiet enough to be droned out by any loud movie/music

SD_haze,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
@mrs.sunshine - I still think the Solo would serve you well. It doesn't really have much smell at all, and it's silent (except for a supposed high-frequency or low frequency sound that is emmited when it's heating; although I've never heard it).

What kind of vaporizer are you using now?

Stu,
im using a home unit the herbal aire 2.0 h2 i th ink it is. i got it in july, at first, it didn't leak, the teflan mouthpiece thing was super snug...but now it just sorta sits in there and falls off if you barely touch it.

i'm highly considering the solo. how quick does it cool down?

im realy interested in seeing the wispr vape, i gotta go on the hunt and see if anyone near here has one. all the shops i hav gone to dont have it in store but can order it. grrr i just wanna get some hands on lookin/feelin of the thing.

also have a vapor genie and i fn hate it!

mrs.sunshine,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
While I love my vapor genie, it is the last one (well, maybe the Supreme woud be the last one) I would recommend for you. I have to pay super careful attention to what the flame is doing....too close? too far? went out?

The Solo never gets too hot, really. The stems get hot where the bowl is, but cool down in a minute or two once removed from the body of the unit.

Stu,

weedemon

enthusiast
mrs.sunshine said:

the mflb will also definitely work by feel. I rely on feel to tell me when to stop hitting it or when im over cooking it. (all personal preference)

I bet your other senses are way better than our too because of you blindness.

about the screen in the mflb. don't worry if you are gentle you will be fine! it's a simple angled trough that the herbs sit in. you would be able to feel how full it is. and that's pretty much all you need.

i hardly ever use hte brush and opt to use my finger nail as it fits perfectly :p (i have kinda small hands)

since you can't see the mflb I will do my best to describe it to you.

It's a small wooden box with a sliding acrylic cover that is on a hinge at the back right corner of the unit.

a peeled (they come peeled already in the kit for you) AA 2000+ mah NIMH battery fits positive end in on the right side of the unit to activate it.

the tough is about 1 inch in length 1/2 inch in width (angling in) at the bottom I'm just guessing, but i think it's about a 1/4 inch deep. you can get in about 0.2-0.3 of a gram in one bowl.

to operate the unit you push the battery in and wait about 3 seconds or so. (you will feel out what you like best) and then you gently draw from the unit at the front. you can either have a straw/stem in the hold and hit it. or you can use no stem and just put the box right you your mouth. i prefer this personally as i can feel the heat and tell whats going on better from the more intimate experience. when it's done i know this because the taste has gone and it now tastes more toasted and dry than the beginning. the first hits off this vaporizer is amazing. so tasty!

weedemon,
i was talkin to another blind person about the mflb. altho they haven't used it themselves, ppl have told them how its done and its pretty much as basic as it gets they think. slide the top, put herb in the little trench thing and shut it up. and just give it some shakes when you start runnin out of clouds. yes my other sense are way stronger than the average person and my sense of touch is even stronger when im in the clouds lol. but, i want to TRY one of these suckers before i buy the damn thing and so far i haven't found any way to do that.

mrs.sunshine,

poonman

I agree with the others that suggests the mflb is NOT for you mrs.sunshine .
You still need to see the orange light plus you can accidentally combust your herbs .

But you do bring up an important concern for blind vaporists.
Maybe there could/should be a manufacturer that could catered to the blind as consumers .

The NO2 and Solo both have lights that shut on and off for powering .
The NO2 has an auto shut off time every 20 minutes . You'll have to time it right to switch it back on .
Now if the NO2 and the Solo were Handi-capped friendly . ie : different beeping sounds/tones to let
the blind user know what settings/power were in operation .
I see a small niche in the vape market for blind users .

Your attitude has brought a little sunshine in my life .
Good luck in your search . Don't Rush it .

poonman,
i'd love to work with a manufacturor to design a vape that would be absolutely perfect for users like me. i just don't even know how to get started with that. i know exactly what i would want in a vape and could even descrbe how it would work.

mrs.sunshine,

Gunky

I don't know, I haven't actually tried it, but I think I could use the mflb with eyes closed. The only part that might be a bit dicey is cleaning the screen which is in the shape of a rectangular trench with a smaller rectangle at the bottom than the top (ie the trench walls slope inward). I'm not sure how you would know when the batteries are charged - I suppose just use a fixed time for charging... Not being able to view the contents through the clear plastic lid/window, you would have to put a rubber band around the box and shake it about a bit more than strictly necessary for good measure so as to avoid spots getting overcooked. There is a power light but it is not necessary - you can sense the heat and taste.

If you get a chance check out the log vapes. They are very easy to load (suck up some material like drinking through a straw, brush off any straggling bits with a finger, mate the tube end to the heatport, draw a few times and then blow out the duff with a little puff of air. Impossible to combust and very little cleaning required. They plug in with a wall wart so are not portable.

Gunky,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
mrs.sunshine said:
and just give it some shakes when you start runnin out of clouds.
Don't shake it when you start running out of clouds. Shake it after every hit.

I've recently broken my light in the MFLB so my MFLB is not that much visual. And I can still use it correctly. Yes I think MFLB can be operated by blind person, but it's learning curve will be BIG.

I open the trench, load it and close -> well you have to do something like this with any vape.

Then Push in battery and wait few secs -> here are the first visual signs - there is a light indicating battery power and also vapor can be visible. Not necessary for right use. As I've said, my light is ruined and in bad lighting like dark I can't even see the vapor forming. Still getting vaked.

Inhale slowly with any method, like loong slooow draw or microhits. -> there is a visual sign how vapor is flowing. It can be also feeled, so it shouldn't be a problem to you. Mabe raises the learning curve a bit.

After taking a hit, stop pushing on the battery and shake the box. Get ready for another hit on put in back in pocket and get more hits later. Visual sign is when you see herbs brown its done. But it can also be tasted.

Seek,
All right folks, we have a winner! I did not get to try the vapir no2....but i did use the solo and the mflb.

let me tell you that both are super easy....no eye balls needed. The solo, nifty lookin/feelin gadget....does its job. gets you baked in a quick timely manner....hate the taste/feel of the vapor it gives, but it's ok...not worth the $$ imo. now the mflb? WINNER WINNER!!!! It is SO not visual. put the herb in the tunnel trench thing, spread it out, slide lid closed again. pop the batter in, press and hold in and after about 4 secs start sipping ur vapor until you get a lung full. i even alternate pressing and releasing so that it doesn't get too hot while i am super slowly sipping and boy i tell ya...that thing can sure fly ya to the moon if its used properly! release batt, whenever moer is desired, repeat...oh..and of course the shaking. i don't understand how people could say this is visual. what do you need to look at?

cheaper and smaller than the solo and works better and tastes great too. im gonna tell anyone i know that wants a vape to get one of these things.

thanks for all the help and input!

mrs.sunshine,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
MFLB has some visual features, but they are not needed :) The vapor flow there is beautifly visual, and there is light indicating battery power.

Seek,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
It took some time, but I'm glad it worked out for you in the end!

Just out of curiosity, but could you give a little more detailed description of how the Solo's vapor felt and tasted nasty to you & do you know if it's owner shared your opinion about it?

I guess us folks with working eyes are just so used to relying on them that most of us find it hard to imagine some things can be done just as easy without them. I too imagined you'd have difficulty using the MFLB, glad we were wrong ;)

OhTheAgony,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom