Discontinued MistVape Touch

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Here is the new button
v90Avh2.jpg

It is a real low profile, may be able to recess it even with the surface. I has a click feel which I don't like but it is very responsive and easy to use. This is the one rated at 1,000,000 clicks mechanical life.
Have 6 frames cut, drilled and milled out. Going to have to retro fit for the new button but that won't be hard. Have 6 coils ready to go. Seems there should be betas ready next week.

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
For the mosfet I just milled a board.
Cx34l3B.jpg

This is a 12 part panel, all this does is hold to resistors and the mosfet.

Here is one soldered up with the two resistors.
1xMSuBj.jpg
The hole gets the trigger pulse from the button, two large wires get soldered to this. So that part is done for the betas.
The cathode was changed from a spring loaded gadget to a piece of 14 ga fine silver. I figure that way you won't have to worry about cleaning battery connectors. The anode connector is copper but it is easy to access for cleaning.
Got SS thumb screws for the battery door.
MzAPYtm.jpg

Last edited:

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
I received the new buttons a few days ago and noticed that they make a click noise. Not as loud as a ball point pen but audible. What do you think, will the noise be distracting? Will it kill the stealth factor? I haven't started to install these yet. I've reached out to the manufacturer to see if they have a silent version. In the meantime I wanted to get feedback from the forum before I assemble the new units.
Also what do people think about a touch sensor instead of a button? I have a line on some units that are a 1/2" diameter pad. It could be installed in a recess and when you tap it is like a button click without the noise. One member said they really like the button's tactile nature. Thoughts?

Last edited:

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
It is a double click and I think the inhaling is louder. But my hearing is terrible, if I hold a ball point pen two feet from my ear I can't hear it click. With the button very close to my ear and a ball point pen at the same location I clicked both, the button isn't as loud as the pen. I haven't actually installed one of these yet.

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
No one complained about the click but I didn't like it. I have yet another button coming but in the meantime I have a touch sensor that seems to work nicely. I am installing one in a prototype now. Stay tuned, I'll post results later today.
Here is what it will look like
g9AmA66.jpg

It is easy to configure the amount of pressure needed when it is built. I went for light touch. It isn't wired up yet so I can't comment on how it actually works, but here is the cosmetic part.

Last edited:

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
All assembled
euQYzsv.jpg

hvAp22r.jpg
Gentle touch with my thumb and it's glowing. Might have it set too sensitive but I really like it. Tomorrow I'll try to do a video and showcase the battery door, and the finish around the stem. Figured out how to clean it up a lot. World series time now!
Gave it a ride around the block, excellent. Heat soaked about 10 seconds then a couple at 5 second, got a great hit, big cloud. Button is easy to use and very smooth.
The blemish in the wood is some natural process that left a void.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
All assembled
euQYzsv.jpg

hvAp22r.jpg
Gentle touch with my thumb and it's glowing. Might have it set too sensitive but I really like it. Tomorrow I'll try to do a video and showcase the battery door, and the finish around the stem. Figured out how to clean it up a lot. World series time now!
Gave it a ride around the block, excellent. Heat soaked about 10 seconds then a couple at 5 second, got a great hit, big cloud. Button is easy to use and very smooth.
The blemish in the wood is some natural process that left a void.

That looks great! I really dig the way the new button looks with the porthole, like a submarine or big and little bubbles... BubbleMist gum

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Ack! I melted the coil. Heated to glowing and pushed it, I went too far. Taking it apart now to figure out if it was just overheating or if there was an issue.

All is good. I had the coil installed with a short, I should have caught it. When I used it just seemed to be heating really good. When I tried again later it got real real hot. Installed a new coil and it works great.
The video doesn't show any vaping. Just wanted to show heating time, how the battery door is flipped over to "turn off" the unit. Hard to show how to press the button. You just need to touch it. I'm working it with my thumb just to hold it for the camera.
The first ten seconds is just a wait for the coil to glow, bear with me.
The area the stem goes into is cleaned up. I like the looks of this.
Just realized I didn't show case the touch sensor, duh. It's right there under my thumb. 19 mm diameter black membrane, some sort of plastic.
Learned a lot and am pleased at where things are at. Couple hours of retro fit work and I can assemble more. Thanks to @Pipes for technical and moral support.

Found some info on doing sub ohm measurements. Built this circuit based on the post, definitely works.
mSBt4V9.jpg

Here's the post if you're interested. http://www.robotroom.com/Measuring-Low-Resistances.html
By measuring the millivolts you can calculate the resistance. The coil mounted in the pic measured 0.515 ohms, with a 4.2 V battery that would be 34.3 watts - theoretically. That coil is the one in the MistVape in the video.

Shit Snacks

All is good. I had the coil installed with a short, I should have caught it. When I used it just seemed to be heating really good. When I tried again later it got real real hot. Installed a new coil and it works great.
The video doesn't show any vaping. Just wanted to show heating time, how the battery door is flipped over to "turn off" the unit. Hard to show how to press the button. You just need to touch it. I'm working it with my thumb just to hold it for the camera.
The first ten seconds is just a wait for the coil to glow, bear with me.
The area the stem go into is cleaned up. I like the looks of this.
Just realized I didn't show case the touch sensor, duh. It's right there under my thumb. 19 mm diameter black membrane, some sort of plastic.
Learned a lot and am pleased at where things are at. Couple hours of retro fit work and I can assemble more. Thanks to @Pipes for technical and moral support.

Looks gorgeous! The stem area is great all cleaned up like that. Only thing I would suggest is for the metal part that holds the battery door, to make the other corners rounded too so there are no sharp edges or points you know?

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Here is the chimney holder, the airflow is now around the chimney. The four circular indents around the perimeter is how the air gets in. It flows under the edges of the chimney from four points. I think this gives a more even distribution of air and heat than a single hole in the bottom of the chimney holder, which is how it used to be. The last load I ran through the newest beta unit was pretty uniformly browned. I'll post some pics later. The rectangle in the middle is a spacer to prevent the coil holders from touching.
nROnR7R.jpg
9ZY7sqH.jpg

@Shit Snacks good point, I forgot to mention the air comes in through the portholes

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Here is the chimney holder, the airflow is now around the chimney. The four circular indents around the perimeter is how the air gets in. It flows under the edges of the chimney from four points. I think this gives a more even distribution of air and heat than a single hole in the bottom of the chimney holder, which is how it used to be. The last load I ran through the newest beta unit was pretty uniformly browned. I'll post some pics later. The rectangle in the middle is a spacer to prevent the coil holders from touching.
nROnR7R.jpg
9ZY7sqH.jpg

Very cool :tup:

Where does the air come into the unit? Dont think I saw an intake hole in the last photos

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
There have been multiple tweaks all aimed at making production smoother and more consistent. So far things are coming along nicely. I hope to start assembly by Friday at the latest. There are six betas in the works, well one is finished (the one in the video). So I could ship this weekend

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Shipping in the morning. Did a little finish sanding and ran a load through each unit, everything looks great.
One minor issue was that the cup screen was easy to knock out of position when loading or cleaning. I got a diamond drill bit and was able to open up the stem a little and leave a ledge that catches the screen. Works nicely, easy to load and clean without moving the screen.
jQ4ePW8.jpg
JUIrmWA.jpg

The white line is where the drill stopped.
I didn't add the MistVape logo to the betas, I guess that is a major marketing faux pas but I didn't want to risk screwing one of them up. Also didn't want to do something that wouldn't look good, like a decal.
Came up with a name for this model, Touch.
The MistVape Touch, you just touch it to vape.

@virtualpurple thanks for the kind words

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Shipping in the morning. Did a little finish sanding and ran a load through each unit, everything looks great.
One minor issue was that the cup screen was easy to knock out of position when loading or cleaning. I got a diamond drill bit and was able to open up the stem a little and leave a ledge that catches the screen. Works nicely, easy to load and clean without moving the screen.
jQ4ePW8.jpg
JUIrmWA.jpg

The white line is where the drill stopped.
I didn't add the MistVape logo to the betas, I guess that is a major marketing faux pas but I didn't want to risk screwing one of them up. Also didn't want to do something that wouldn't look good, like a decal.
Came up with a name for this model, Touch.
The MistVape Touch, you just touch it to vape.

@virtualpurple thanks for the kind words

Agreed, definitely looking forward to it :tup:

Nice job with the cup screen slot, that looks like a nicely made screen as well. This thing is going to be very efficient I am sure, and quick

And great job with the name, MistVape Touch works very well, playing up something that makes it unique, and those potholes work like they're own brand in a way... No logo does mean more stealth at least :ninja: but glad my big boy Mist has it... So maybe we should add "(+ MistVape Touch)" to the thread title @Stu ?

Top Bottom