• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued MistVape Touch

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Here are some pics of the prototype. It is very crude but the purpose was too see if everything fit. I will tweak a few things to streamline a bit but everything worked as planned. Just vaped some 401gasband and it worked nicely. Dark brown abv, no charring. Didn't get a lot of visible vapor but a couple decent exhales. Nicely medicated
Coil is the .45 ohm, 39 watt 22 gauge SS stacked pancake.
Here is the prototype next to the MistVape
pUZhvlm.jpg

The lines around the switch is a patch, had to move the button over a bit.
Pw6VBp4.jpg

Great button, I like the look a lot.
The black window is just a cut out that exposes the glass chimney. Thinking of doing some design with the windows, maybe make them curved cut outs. There are three of the windows.
The little piece of wood that the stem is going through holds the chimney down, that needs to fit a lot cleaner!

ajRIuTI.jpg

In the belly of the beast. The switch is soldered in and the coil connected by screw terminals.
The screw terminals are where the coil is attached (see the previous post for a picture of the coil side of this coil connection). The coil can be replaced, you undo the black and white wire then flip the unit over and remove the wood cover plate. The chimney, coil and coil base can be pushed out of the unit with a small dowel rod (maybe a pencil, not sure if it would fit)

RKSgPnC.jpg

The door is on and making contact, unit is ready to go. The next proto will have a brass thumbscrew to hold the door down.
I could get flavor hits in about 5 seconds. The coil will glow red with the button held for 10 seconds.
Still evaluating coil designs but I'm liking the coil in coil and stacked pancake.
ZBkWChu.jpg

Here is some abv from the first load through the prototype. Nice even dark brown, this is after several hits a single stir and a few more hits.

Open to comments on the unit.

Monday I will start work on 5 beta models.
@Shit Snacks I'm open to making the stem shorter, mouthpieces etc. This is just a stock stem.
What kind of stem were you thinking?

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Here are some pics of the prototype. It is very crude but the purpose was too see if everything fit. I will tweak a few things to streamline a bit but everything worked as planned. Just vaped some 401gasband and it worked nicely. Dark brown abv, no charring. Didn't get a lot of visible vapor but a couple decent exhales. Nicely medicated
Coil is the .45 ohm, 39 watt 22 gauge SS stacked pancake.
Here is the prototype next to the MistVape
pUZhvlm.jpg

The lines around the switch is a patch, had to move the button over a bit.
Pw6VBp4.jpg

Great button, I like the look a lot.
The black window is just a cut out that exposes the glass chimney. Thinking of doing some design with the windows, maybe make them curved cut outs. There are three of the windows.
The little piece of wood that the stem is going through holds the chimney down, that needs to fit a lot cleaner!

ajRIuTI.jpg

In the belly of the beast. The switch is soldered in and the coil connected by screw terminals.
The screw terminals are where the coil is attached (see the previous post for a picture of the coil side of this coil connection). The coil can be replaced, you undo the black and white wire then flip the unit over and remove the wood cover plate. The chimney, coil and coil base can be pushed out of the unit with a small dowel rod (maybe a pencil, not sure if it would fit)

RKSgPnC.jpg

The door is on and making contact, unit is ready to go. The next proto will have a brass thumbscrew to hold the door down.
I could get flavor hits in about 5 seconds. The coil will glow red with the button held for 10 seconds.
Still evaluating coil designs but I'm liking the coil in coil and stacked pancake.

Open to comments on the unit.

Monday I will start work on 5 beta models.

Very nice!

Dig the cut out glass window idea to stand out, makes a new logo, so this one won't be a MistVape too? New product name?

Swappable coils is neat too, so you can use this to try other coils designs like the coil within a coil and see which one is better? Could even seen both or more for beta testing, or even in production, that could be really cool actually.

Definitely needs some cleaning up of course but a pretty good start to build off I think. A shorter stem design would be good too for the greater mobility offered here. It is almost as big as the old Mist, but faster and sinpler batter swap right? So the stem should help make things more portable, like the old Mist wood stem. I'm sure your planning on getting there, you've done a lot already though!

:tup:

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
The flat electrodes aren't conductive enough. I don't think SS electrodes are going to work. I found a source for the SS electrodes so I'll try them but I'm skeptical, don't think they will be conductive enough.
Used 10 ga pure silver electrodes with the bolts and it works fine. I'll try the ss strips when the material arrives.

Last edited:

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
The coil can glow but I think it is being used when it isn't glowing. I can't see the coil when I'm inhaling but generally I start by holding the button down for about 7 seconds then start pulsing. I usually inhale as I let up on the button but not always. If I hold down for too long it will ignite. If you pay attention to the "feel" of the temperature of the vapor you can get great hits.
I have talked with @Pipes he is very helpful, great guy.
I found some connectors that I am going to test, they are zinc/chrome plated. What do people think about those materials in the heating chamber?
Started work on 5 beta units, mostly set up work getting things ready to crank these out. These are so much easier than the MistVape.

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Second prototype is almost complete. Tweaked some internal dimensions and standardized things. Simplified the design a bit. Here is a stacked pancake coil with the new connectors. Have SS set screws on order to replace the screws in the pic. That will make the connectors chrome plated and SS.
cQ2fU10.jpg
XH7L5nk.jpg

Getting close, here are some of the refinements. I don't really like the window, think I'm going to try a round window, like a porthole. The door isn't on yet. There is still some cleaning up to do.
Let me know what you think, now is the time for design changes and I'm open to suggestions.
qwvQXgZ.jpg
phvPDTV.jpg

Shit Snacks

Getting close, here are some of the refinements. I don't really like the window, think I'm going to try a round window, like a porthole. The door isn't on yet. There is still some cleaning up to do.
Let me know what you think, now is the time for design changes and I'm open to suggestions.
qwvQXgZ.jpg
phvPDTV.jpg

Two or three portholes could be cool, coil not as visible maybe though... Perhaps an S like vapor swirl? Then could call it like MistVapeS or something I don't know lol Lookin good!

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Yep wanted to do an S shape swirl but that will take some time, gotta brush up on my cad software.
Actually thought it would be cool to see the coil, I like to judge battery life by how long it takes to glow. Also I preheat to a glow and then start pulsing.
This coil is going to be a little more powerful, trying 41 watts instead of 35.
The coil connections are fine silver wires in the connectors. On the backside I'll use copper wires to hook up the switch and connect the coil.

I'm getting excited. Love that we were able to make screw connections work! Looking forward to getting one in hand, one thing im concerned with thus far is the button placement. I love that it's recessed but im unsure about the location, although its difficult to see exactly how the ergonomics are without a mockup of a complete unit.

How will the vaporizer look (thus far) fully assembled?

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
@nondarb thanks for the comments. As far as looks, the outline from the side is as in the picture except there will be a door on top with a thumbscrew. I'll post a completed unit when I can, hopefully in a few days. I am going to change the window to a round porthole that basically shows the coil.
The button placement is really dictated by what space is available and I find that when I use it I would like the button higher up but if I move it up then I have to add size to accommodate it. Currently there is no extra space, I have the wiring and button in the bottom 3/4" and the upper 1 1/4" is battery and heating chamber. When we get betas out the trade off of better ergonomics vs size can be discussed.
I want to make this as inexpensive as possible but also it has to be a really solid build that functions great.
As an aside I haven't used my MistVape except for oil since I learned to handle the prototype. At first I was having trouble going to ignition but I'm wasn't used to an on demand unit. I can always get two or three pretty solid hits with a nice exhaled cloud and 4-5 flavor hits per load.
I got 4 loads on a battery, and as expected with each load it takes a little longer to heat up.

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
qwvQXgZ.jpg
phvPDTV.jpg

I like this, reminds me of a smaller stemmed milaana. I like the window to see the coil for sure! not to get you to copy anything but have you taken apart a Mi to see that coil? It is kinda like a mesh that heats up VERY effectively. I don't know if the greater surface area gives it better efficiency than your double pancake but you could look into it. I could see a combination maybe? Like a thinner tube filled with the heated mesh for ultimate heat transfer to the air. Just a thought, I like what I see so far!! Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
I like portholes much better. There is one on each side.
mwrVBrl.jpg
74e3IbG.jpg

As soon as I get the SS set screws I'm ready to assemble this one. I have my cnc router programmed for all the cuts on this model so I can crank out some betas pretty quick. Still not sure if the stacked pancake or coil in coil is better. I do think one of them is going to be what I use. The stacked coil does work nicely.

Shit Snacks

I like portholes much better. There is one on each side.
mwrVBrl.jpg
74e3IbG.jpg

As soon as I get the SS set screws I'm ready to assemble this one. I have my cnc router programmed for all the cuts on this model so I can crank out some betas pretty quick. Still not sure if the stacked pancake or coil in coil is better. I do think one of them is going to be what I use. The stacked coil does work nicely.

Maybe you can offer both coil types, seems the stacked pancake is a bit hotter than the other one was? Maybe a high temp/power coil and a low temp/power coil? Swappable control

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Latest prototype is done.
vXMlqsw.jpg

Here is the heater assembly
OYp9ubw.jpg
yGq5YBz.jpg

First pic is the coil and connectors fitted to the chimney holder, there is a small wood piece cut into the holder that ensures the connectors can't touch and short. The second pic shows the chimney attached.

Then the entire assembly is slide into the frame.
5QPGRbd.jpg

And the cover plate attached
r1fBpEJ.jpg

Here is the wiring in the base.
jqQy1zx.jpg
The connectors now have SS set screws, to remove the coil you loosen the set screws, slide the wires out. Then remove the cover plate and the heater assembly slides out.

Simplified the door section, have some SS thumbscrews on order.
jCWOnb8.jpg
G98iZM1.jpg

aEM3wNp.jpg
The back side of the door has a copper strip that connects the battery to the copper threaded rod next to the battery. If you flip the door over so you see the copper strip then there is no connection to the battery and it is off for travelling.
And finally here is a view of the coil after holding the button down for about 7 seconds.
Everything worked out and the majority of the parts are now programmed into my cnc router so I can start to crank out some beta units. I'm hopeful that I can get a batch done next week.
For now I have to test this unit, the coil is about 42 watts a bit more powerful than last unit. It glows about 3 seconds quicker than the last unit.

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Somehow missed the last coil image, here it is
fGzuEUp.jpg

Used this prototype last night and it is easier to char and get ignition than the previous proto.
The extra wattage allows for quicker heat up. I think the charring can be avoided but it is a learning curve and I was treating it like the previous unit. Ran three loads and got better with it by the third. If you use a mirror you can view the coil while you use it, that was interesting.
The push button isn't living up to my expectation, ordering additional ones today. Seems this one needs to be pressed very firmly. Sometimes I push it to on and it doesn't fire, have to push too hard.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Somehow missed the last coil image, here it is
fGzuEUp.jpg

Used this prototype last night and it is easier to char and get ignition than the previous proto.
The extra wattage allows for quicker heat up. I think the charring can be avoided but it is a learning curve and I was treating it like the previous unit. Ran three loads and got better with it by the third. If you use a mirror you can view the coil while you use it, that was interesting.
The push button isn't living up to my expectation, ordering additional ones today. Seems this one needs to be pressed very firmly. Sometimes I push it to on and it doesn't fire, have to push too hard.

Ah yeah, faster heat up can be trickier, again why I like the idea of offering different coils for different speeds/temps/learning curves... And I know finding good triggers can be tricky, as I've heard in other threads. Everything looks really good so far though, good luck!

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
On target @Shit Snacks. I tried this coil again and I didn't combust but definitely charred. For this design 41 watts is too much (I said 42 earlier but the coil in the proto with the round window is 41 watts). Weird thing is the previous one that I really liked was 39 watts, I wanted to add just a little more power.
While I wait for new switches I'll build a 39 watt coil for this proto.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Heh maybe you just need to learn how to feather the trigger? I'm pretty sure we Milaana users wouldn't have much trouble taming it down... :p

Try 2 seconds pre-heat, 3 seconds draw with trigger on, then 3 seconds draw after releasing. But don't worry we all charred our loads when learning how to handle that much power.

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
@mistvaporizer thanks for sending me a note to stop by and see what you are up to in this thread. Creative vapor genius in the works for sure man! It reminds me of the good old days being creative and rapidly prototyping and learning and improving. These days I am just focused purely on production but early next year we should talk tech and see if we can work together. @Vape Dr. put me in touch with Alan at HI and we might cook something up together in the spring. It would be cool to have a small vape manufacture network... together we can stomp out Combustion!

Keep killing it on this new design and leverage all of the talented people that I see here... that is the strength of FC.

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
thanks for the kind words, working together is a great idea.
RBT you're from the Motor City? Coincidence I grew up there, Harper and Van Dyke, two blocks from the Easttown Theatre. Saw a lot of great music acts there, lots of MC5 concerts!

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

@mistvaporizer thanks for sending me a note to stop by and see what you are up to in this thread. Creative vapor genius in the works for sure man! It reminds me of the good old days being creative and rapidly prototyping and learning and improving. These days I am just focused purely on production but early next year we should talk tech and see if we can work together. @Vape Dr. put me in touch with Alan at HI and we might cook something up together in the spring. It would be cool to have a small vape manufacture network... together we can stomp out Combustion!

Keep killing it on this new design and leverage all of the talented people that I see here... that is the strength of FC.

Love this, glad you could check out what's going on here, different yet similar, we all win! Also thrilled to hear Doc put you in touch with Alan too, I'd been thinking that'd be a good pairing for a while now... A vape manufacturer network would be amazing, can't wait to see what crazy projects all you mad scientists could come up with! Exciting times ahead

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Great to hear @Crussell27 I appreciate the support.
Talked with @KeroZen and he mentioned using a mosfet for the power switching. Then the button doesn't have to deal with all the current going to the heater. I used a 80A 110W mosfet which is serious overkill but it doesn't even warm up (the mosfet).
D8YDIz6.jpg

The black square middle right is the mosfet. Its a crappy circuit esthetically but it was proof of concept, I'll etch boards for the prototypes.
Now the original switch works like a charm and feathers nicely with a great response.
Made a 39 watt coil and reworked the prototype. This is definitely coil for this device. I feathered the first load and was able to get flavor hits or crank up to nice medium exhales without the herb showing any sign charring. abv in the stem is very light, there is plenty more in the load but I didn't want to do any more.
With the mosfet I can use a lower rated switch, that gave me lots more options for switches. I found a really nice all stainless steel domed switch. It looks really nice and it attaches with screw terminals, makes maintenance easier. The real kicker is the switch is rated at a mechanical life of 1,000,000 cycles, electrical life 200,000 cycles. I think since it is overated for this application (its 2A at 48V) the electrical life will be even greater imo.
I'll post pics when they arrive.

Last edited:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I'm happy to see some famous member finally joined this thread!

The Mist is a true pleasure to use, perfect for micro-dosing. I expect the little brother will be as good.

Love to see how this wood vaporizers manufacturers are working together!

Top Bottom