Discontinued Magic Flight Launch Tube

NoSmoke

Just ordered one of these puppies, I'm really curious as to how this thing works out for me. One question I have is "will I be able to swap for the higher temp one if its not to my liking?"

NoSmoke,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
In denver eh? Enjoying the on-off snowy weather?

Good to see that MF has treated the FC customers exceptionally well.

Survivalism,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
NoSmoke said:
Just ordered one of these puppies, I'm really curious as to how this thing works out for me.

One question I have is "will I be able to swap for the higher temp one if its not to my liking?"
I dont see why not. However, we would prefer that people be clear as to their preference when they order, since we are not promising to send everyone two units for the price of one. For various reasons, we are unable to accept returns, so from our view, every "swap" end up being a full grant. Despite this, we do want people to be happy with what we offer and are willing to do what we can to 'make it right' for everyone. If you genuinely find that the lower temp version you ordered is not to your liking, we will send you a regular insert. In return, we would ask that you please comment on your findings/feelings about the differences so that others can make a more informed decision.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
what are the maximum temps reached for the high temp. version and the low temp version?

DeepFried,

MrMistyTokes

Steam Engine
it gets hot.. close to 500 degrees if you push it- that kills the batterys and everything ofcourse though lol.

btw i was wondering if butane flame cleaning the screen fucked it up and weakened the bonds? i had it all crazy blue and purple colours from flaming it looked so sicck haha:D

MrMistyTokes,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
MrMistyTokes said:
btw i was wondering if butane flame cleaning the screen fucked it up and weakened the bonds? i had it all crazy blue and purple colours from flaming it looked so sicck haha:D
wouldnt that be something youd want to ask BEFORE you did it? :o :uhoh:

Acolyte of Zinglon,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
DeepFried said:
what are the maximum temps reached for the high temp. version and the low temp version?
This question gets asked a lot and unfortunately, depends significantly on enough factors to make it rather hard to give any single "representative" number. What is much easier is to say that the "low temp" version tends to be about 125 degrees (F) cooler than the normal version, given the same operating conditions.

Another way to describe this is in terms of how quickly an empty unit will heat up, assuming standard conditions (70 deg ambient) and no airflow (no draw, which tends to have a cooling effect). The low temp unit needs about 20 seconds to reach 380F whereas the normal version needs only 5 seconds.

Under absolute worst case conditions, where ambient is 100F, the tray is overfilled with perfectly dry material and packed, the draw rate is zero, and the battery is left in full hard contact continuously for more than 2 minutes, the max temperature in the very hottest part of the system for the low temp version will be about 450F and the normal version will probably reach about 500F. The worst case represents the effect of simply adding energy without limit to an insulated volume -- the temperature will go fairly high because nothing else is physically possible.

However, please be aware that "normal" operation tends to be a lot cooler. We aim to have the material be at 380F while in use and suggest usage patterns that tend to achieve that.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
MrMistyTokes said:
i was wondering if butane flame cleaning the screen fucked it up and weakened the bonds? i had it all crazy blue and purple colours from flaming it looked so sicck haha:D
Butane flame cleaning is ok if used with care. It is unlikely to damage the bonding. The idea with fire cleaning is to ensure that the the screen never gets more than a dull red hot. This is especially important if using a mini-torch -- keep the fire at least 2 inches away or you will overheat the screen. Please be very careful -- it is surprisingly easy to get it way too hot fast with a torch. More than red hot is bad.

The colors you are describing are probably due to a very thin oxidization layer on the screen and are otherwise harmless.

-- Magic-Flight.

magicflight,

MrMistyTokes

Steam Engine
I was doing exactly what you just said not to to make it those colours haha mini torching it.. does that fuck up the steel or what

MrMistyTokes,

NoSmoke

I barely got to use mine before it quit working all of a sudden. all i can say for now is the vapor to air ratio is low, the taste isnt is bad as i thought. I have no clue why it stopped working though?? Oh yeah and kief works well but it sticks to the screen ( hard to cash) could be the low temp

NoSmoke,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Send me an email with your order info and we will get you new parts.

-- Magic-Flight

NoSmoke said:
I barely got to use mine before it quit working all of a sudden. all i can say for now is the vapor to air ratio is low, the taste isnt is bad as i thought. I have no clue why it stopped working though?? Oh yeah and kief works well but it sticks to the screen ( hard to cash) could be the low temp

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi Everyone,

We are currently accepting a limited number of applications
from FC members for testing one of our new vaporizer products.
To apply for a free product sample for testing and review,
please send us an email with answers to the following questions
along with any other information that you think would be helpful
in our selection process.

Have you purchased a Launch Tube from us previously?
How long have you been using vaporizers?
How frequently do you use them?
Do you currently use vaporizers exclusively or do you also smoke?
Which vaporizers have you tried?
Which ones do you use frequently and why?
What herbs/materials have you tried vaporizing?
Do you generally use a vaporizer alone or with friends?
If you will be using our vaporizer with other people, will your opinions
be only your own or will they reflect the combined opinions of your group?
What features would you generally regard as the most important in a portable vaporizer?

For selected applications, we will be sending a followup email.

-- Magic-Flight.com

magicflight,

MrMistyTokes

Steam Engine
really excited to see what you whipped up

i hope it either has alot more wood or alot more glass

and more power would be cool like a d cell

MrMistyTokes,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi,

This 'Thank You' goes out to the many FC members who
sent in an application for new product testing. We have
received a sufficient number of applicants for selecting
testers, and we are no longer looking for new applicants.
For those who have already sent in applications, we will
be sending followup emails to selected participants early
next week. Thanks again to FC membership for your
help!

-- MagicFlight

magicflight,

MrMistyTokes

Steam Engine
only problem i have with the current model is how foggy the glass gets if you puff it slow for thick hits

changable screen heaters would be perfect for the next model? hash oil gummed my flight tube screen- but works sooo well

MrMistyTokes,

firstavailable

magicflight said:
Hi,

In regards to the question about Canadian winter, the Launch Tube will work with a moderately cold environment, but is not expected to perform as well in a very cold environment. Anything below 50 degrees Fahrenheit ambient temperature is probably iffy. Also, the unit does not handle water/wet very well -- it tends to cause the wood to swell and make the glass hard to fit. Long exposure (days) to high humidity can cause fitting problems too.

-- Magic-Flight
I live in FL, where humidity is generally high, and temps fluctuate. I generally keep my equipment in my trunk. So it routinely gos from 70-ishF to over 110F multiple times a day. Would this humidity, and heat cycle have a bad affect on the wood?

Also, you might have mentioned this already, but I missed it. how long does a single battery last on a full charge? How long to recharge?

lwien said:
The unit looks like a high-school science project made in some one's garage, and yet with all of the verbiage regarding the manufacturing of this unit, it not only sounds like a part that was designed for the space shuttle, but also has the backing of a large manufacturing facility with it's own R&D department and a clean room.
lwien, this is a product in an early stage of development. From my personal experience, I can tell you that parts and components that are actually designed for the space shuttle or a military application with a multi-million dollar budget, the backing of a large manufacturing facility, and its own R&D department and clean room often do look like a highschool science project in the early stages.

magicflight, for myself, coming from a technical background, I appreciate the way you are describing your product and addressing all questions and criticism in a professional and conclusive manner. I am interested in applying for the tester position. What email address should I send my "application" into? Or do you mean I should just send a PM to you on this forum?

firstavailable,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
MrMistyTokes said:
really excited to see what you whipped up
i hope it either has alot more wood or alot more glass
and more power would be cool like a d cell
Hi,

It has more wood. It could have more glass too -- that
remains to be decided -- multiple options are available.

A C and D cell has been tried in various previous (unreleased)
versions and has mostly been found to be too bulky. However
There are adapters and techniques that would allow the use
of a C cell with the existing Launch Tube design. Is this of
general interest?

-- MagicFlight

magicflight,

lwien

firstavailable said:
lwien, this is a product in an early stage of development. From my personal experience, I can tell you that parts and components that are actually designed for the space shuttle or a military application with a multi-million dollar budget, the backing of a large manufacturing facility, and its own R&D department and clean room often do look like a highschool science project in the early stages.
Man, that quote was over 100 posts ago. Forgot I even said that. :/

Doesn't mean that I still don't have the same opinions though. ;)

lwien,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
MrMistyTokes said:
only problem i have with the current model is how foggy the glass gets if you puff it slow for thick hits

changable screen heaters would be perfect for the next model? hash oil gummed my flight tube screen- but works sooo well
Hi,

Not sure what could be done about the glass fogging up. Mostly, we recommend drawing at just exactly the rate to pull the vapor off the tray -- which should prevent that sort of thing. Are you using material that is not very dry? Was the glass clean when you started?

Changeable screens have been asked for -- however we have not found a practical way to make it work as yet. We have run into cost problems or electrical problems, or reliability problems (or all three) in this and have more or less given up on it. It has been one of the motivators for our warranty.

In regards to oil on the screen, a technique for cleaning deposits like this is to use a torch lighter very carefully as described in previous FC posts. Start with the lighter several inches away and lit. With the glass removed, aim the torch towards the screen from the bottom and very slowly bring it in towards the screen until the screen just barely glows red. This will remove all of the carbon from the screen and if done carefully, will not hurt it. However, this sort of should only be done when absolutely needed and when you are sure that you will not overheat the screen (which could ruin it).
In all cases, you will need a steady hand for this.

-- Magic-Flight.

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
firstavailable said:
I live in FL, where humidity is generally high, and temps fluctuate. I generally keep my equipment in my trunk. So it routinely gos from 70-ishF to over 110F multiple times a day. Would this humidity, and heat cycle have a bad affect on the wood?
It could. We try to protect the wood with a finish, but due to health concerns, there is only a limited number of options available. The temperature variation is no problem. Of more concern is the high humidity, which can in extreme conditions cause the wood to swell and bind the glass. Dry conditions will restore the wood to its original shape and functionality. Mostly this is a "time of exposure" problem. High humidity for a few hours is no problem, yet high humidity (more than 70%) for three continuous days can cause binding issues (as found in our product testing). The unit also does not do well if it gets soaking wet in water for more than 15 minutes. We explicitly state in the directions provided with the unit to prevent it from getting wet.

firstavailable said:
how long does a single battery last on a full charge? How long to recharge?
A single fully charged fresh battery should provide at least a total of 10 full minutes of actual heating time. In real practice, the heating cycle tends to occur in 15 second increments (as advised in the product usage suggestions) and about 5 of these heating periods tend to be used per bowl filling. As such, a single charged battery should provide enough heat to vaporize at least 8 or 9 bowls worth.
Your mileage may vary depending on your usage/heating patterns and draw rates.

The provided charger should charge the batteries in 6 to 8 hours. Leaving batteries in the charger for longer times should cause no problem. If needed, you can also get one of those fast 15 minute chargers and charge the provided batteries in that. Such chargers tend to cost about $30 and can usually be found at places like "Home Depot". The provided batteries are 2000mAh NiMh type and should provide between 500 to 1000 recharge cycles.

firstavailable said:
magicflight, for myself, coming from a technical background, I appreciate the way you are describing your product and addressing all questions and criticism in a professional and conclusive manner. I am interested in applying for the tester position. What email address should I send my "application" into? Or do you mean I should just send a PM to you on this forum?
Use the email address provided to the left of this post (you need to be logged into FC to see it). The testing is for a new product (not yet released) which has some significant and complementary differences from the Launch Tube. It is intended for somewhat different usage patterns than the Launch Tube itself, which will continue to be offered.

Also, please be aware that we have already received a number of applications -- far more than we have sample units to send out.

-- Magic-Flight.com

magicflight,

lwien

Ok, damn I wish I could just leave this stuff go, but I can't.

First off, Magic, I want to apologize in advance. I stated some opinions almost a month ago, and being that I said everything that I needed to say, I've stayed totally out of this thread since then, but I just gotta make an observation.

Firstavailable, I wrote some negative stuff regarding how the product was presented here, of what seems like an eternity ago. It was just a personal opinion, nothing more. Guess I just couldn't help it, coming from a marketing background.

But then, in one post, you drug up that old negative stuff I said, with the sole purpose of disagreeing with it, and then quickly followed it up for a request to be a tester.

I have no problem in defending my positions, for I kinda enjoy debating, but bringing that stuff up, countering it, and then immedialty asking for a beta unit sounds like a sales pitch that's just a bit transparent.

If you want to debate me fine, but please don't use me for ammo. I feel so.................used. ;)

(Please don't take this too seriously. This was just on my mind, and I had to let out....)

lwien,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi Iwien,

For my own part, I agree with you -- the stuff about marketing is a done topic -- no apology needed (thanks anyways). When I first read your post and looked at it from your POV at the time, I could see how you could have come to that opinion -- hence my reply at the time.

I am not sure why Firstavailable re-raised the question -- probably was reading through this thread from the beginning or he may have had his own reasons -- and perhaps it was related to the free product application. Whatever the reason, it is not for me to make assumptions about anyone's motivations or behavior -- hence I elected not to comment in any way on that aspect of Firstavailables post -- restricting my reply to actual questions asked only. In my own life, I have found that many times when I made assumptions about others, I was wrong, and so I have tried hard to break myself of the habit.

To Firstavailable: Iwien has a right to his opinions, expressions, and also the right to change them however he wishes, and I support this -- same as I support your similar rights/opinions. While I appreciate your implied support, it is not my or anyone else's job here to try to change anyone's basic opinions. My role here is to provide accurate factual information regarding Magic-Flight product offerings (as best as I can) when and as-asked, and to otherwise 'represent' the company as needed.

Iwien did correctly (if indirectly) point out that my general enthusiasm should not be allowed to overstep my role and I have since modified my posts accordingly. In short, he has actually been of assistance to me in improving my posting style, and I appreciated this. The products we offer are new -- as I am to this role. I am merely the 1st (and currently only) person to represent Magic-Flight as the interim public relations coordinator -- I expect that I will eventually be replaced by someone more qualified to do this work. Until then, I am willing to accept helpful advice where it is given -- from whatever quarter.

As such then, my recommendations to both of you is to live and let live -- in fact there is really is very little else that we can sustainably do.

-- Magic-Flight

lwien said:
Ok, damn I wish I could just leave this stuff go, but I can't.

First off, Magic, I want to apologize in advance. I stated some opinions almost a month ago, and being that I said everything that I needed to say, I've stayed totally out of this thread since then, but I just gotta make an observation.

Firstavailable, I wrote some negative stuff regarding how the product was presented here, of what seems like an eternity ago. It was just a personal opinion, nothing more. Guess I just couldn't help it, coming from a marketing background.

But then, in one post, you drug up that old negative stuff I said, with the sole purpose of disagreeing with it, and then quickly followed it up for a request to be a tester.

I have no problem in defending my positions, for I kinda enjoy debating, but bringing that stuff up, countering it, and then immedialty asking for a beta unit sounds like a sales pitch that's just a bit transparent.

If you want to debate me fine, but please don't use me for ammo. I feel so.................used. ;)

(Please don't take this too seriously. This was just on my mind, and I had to let out....)

magicflight,

firstavailable

It seems that I have been misunderstood, so please allow me to clarify my position. It was not my intention to use lwien's comments as a gateway to score browny points in hopes of getting a freebie. I was just stating my opinion, that to me, the current state of the product that is being offered for sale does not seem to be what I would consider "finished". I see it more as a late prototype, so it would be expected for it to look like an unfisnished science project, because that is what it is. I wasnt trying to be overly critical, or start a flame war or anything. I was just stating my observations.

As far as bringing up an old dead post, I am sorry. It was not intentional. I read this entire thread in one sitting, and did not pay attention to the dates. I had a "response window" open in another tab, and was writing responses to posts as I got to them, then posted it as one all-enclusive post.

firstavailable,

lwien

No problem, First. It was just somethin' that was stickin' in my mind and the only way to get rid of it was to post it up here.

If I misunderstood your intentions, I totally apologize.

Just an aside. The reason I made that "science fair" comment is that this is NOT a late prototype, as you say, but an actual product that is for sale in the market place. Now maybe your definition of "prototype" is different than mine, but I take it to mean a product that is still in development and is not market ready yet, or finished, as you say. If that were the case, I would never have made that comment.

Anyways, this horse was beaten a month ago, so................sorry you and I brought it up again. ;)

lwien,
Top Bottom