Looking to buy first electric vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryG20

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my first electric vaporizer. I bought a vapor-genie a few months ago and it's decent, but it's way too difficult to use (in that it is hard to get consistent/precise results in terms of vaporization; it seems I either get only air inhaled through the pipe, or I get a little vapor w/ combusted smoke and end up coughing). So, I figured maybe an electric vaporizer with temperate control would be easier/the way to go. I'm looking for something that costs ~$150 (or less, if possible) and has temperature control (some sort of display or something telling me the exact temperature would be nice, but a labeled dial would also be nice). What exactly are my options? All I know of are the VaporBrothers unit and the Da Buddah (but the Da Buddah doesn't have explicit temperature control in that the dial isn't labeled at all, so you could end up combusting or you're not going to get all vapor). Any other options?

As you can tell my goal is to save my lungs the pain that's usually involved when I want to get high :)

Thanks for your time!

JerryG20,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Congrats on discovering vapor.

If you're only vaporizing cannabis, temperature control and or digital displays aren't as necessary as you'd be led to believe by marketing. Do you have a specific need for them?

There's an excellent vaporizer being sold for 150, especially good for a beginner. However I won't mention it here because it doesn't have a display.

The DBV and Warez are good whip vapes, can't think of any more for 150 or less off the top of my head but please avoid the Chinese knockoffs.

vtac,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
I have heard of members just like you on this forum......when they found out that controlling the temp wasn't a big issue because of the spot on accuracy of this vaporizer, it was all but curtains of the days where they longed for a dial to control their vapors.......

pd.gif
PURPLE-DAYS VAPORIZER
pd.gif

the low price of $150 shipped for this thing might be gone some day soon.....trust me you will not be dissatisfied on your order of the vaporizer that will probably out-live you and your kids :p

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

JerryG20

Thanks for the replies, guys.

vtac - Well, the reason why I'd like some sort of display or indicator is because I really want a healthy route and want to make sure I'm vaporizing the weed and not even getting just a tad bit of smoke or combustion going on. I figure with unlabeled temperature controls you're kind of shooting in the dark and only relying on how your lungs feel when you inhale (which I can see giving you the general gist of the right temperature, but you might not know whether it's just a little too much heat or not for your lungs). What was the vaporizer you didn't want to mention? Why in particular is it good for beginners?

Hennessy1414 - Interesting, I'll look into that one. But of course I'm a little hesitant considering I'm going from looking for a vaporizer with a temperature indicator w/ control to a vaporizer with no temperature indicator and no control whatsoever :)

JerryG20,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
After being 'burned' by the VG, I can understand your reasoning (it really is a good portable, just takes practice).

There are shitty vapes with no temp control and there are shitty vapes with temp controls that don't work or break and cause combustion. But make no mistake, it is possible for a vape to accurately maintain the correct temperature without a dial or display.

vtac,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
JerryG20 said:
Thanks for the replies, guys.

vtac - Well, the reason why I'd like some sort of display or indicator is because I really want a healthy route and want to make sure I'm vaporizing the weed and not even getting just a tad bit of smoke or combustion going on. I figure with unlabeled temperature controls you're kind of shooting in the dark and only relying on how your lungs feel when you inhale (which I can see giving you the general gist of the right temperature, but you might not know whether it's just a little too much heat or not for your lungs). What was the vaporizer you didn't want to mention? Why in particular is it good for beginners?

Hennessy1414 - Interesting, I'll look into that one. But of course I'm a little hesitant considering I'm going from looking for a vaporizer with a temperature indicator w/ control to a vaporizer with no temperature indicator and no control whatsoever :)
dude you were just quoting both of us in the same sense up there^

he was referring to the PD as i had informed you to check out...(i think :uhoh: )

You can NEVER EVER EVER burn weed in that thing....even when tiny bits fall into the depths of the things heating core....it still comes out brown/blackish days after it got in there.....you can count on the spent weed from the purple days(PD) still having a little bit more kick to it...thats why i save all of my spent bowls(all brownish...never blackened) to be cooked into canna-butter...i never lose a single fragment of THC
(the vaporizer even saves you weed too! gets you high as hell!!!!)
:)

Hennessy1414,

bongoman

Jerry, it might seem you've stumbled into a Purple Days cult, but the true believers are typically vaporists who have often spent hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars trying out a range of vaporisers in the quest to find a unit that really suits them.

I'm in that category and the Purple Days is truly my 'desert island' vaporiser - if I had to choose one, that would be it. My other vaporisers I've either given away or are sitting wrapped in bubble plastic in the bottom of a drawer.

And yet, no variable temperature and no readout. Less circuitry to go wrong. And simply not needed as the unit has been designed so that the bowl temperature is just right. The bowl is small enough that all herb gets subjected to an airstream at the perfect vaporising temperature.

I have a whip-style vape and the only time I use it is it to pack a larger bowl of already vaped herb from the Purple Days just to make sure it is really finished before I discard it.

I wish I'd had the foresight to buy a Purple Days as my first vape.

bongoman,

JerryG20

I have to admit that I really don't like the 30 minute warm-up period. I'm not a habitual vaporizer and I can see the warm-up period becoming annoying if I or others suddenly wanted to get high. And at $150, it seems like I might as well go with the Da Buddha.

I'd still appreciate any other suggestions, though.

JerryG20,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
This is not a PD cult, in fact I would advise you against the PD. If you can't stand the thought of a 30 minute warm up time you'd hate the waiting list to buy one.

Here's a list of all the vapes out there (some aren't around anymore).

vtac,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
JerryG20 said:
I have to admit that I really don't like the 30 minute warm-up period. I'm not a habitual vaporizer and I can see the warm-up period becoming annoying if I or others suddenly wanted to get high. And at $150, it seems like I might as well go with the Da Buddha.

I'd still appreciate any other suggestions, though.
ahhh thats the beauty in her tho...she takes long to warm up...yet she can stay on all day long....being ready for you at any moment...(uses ~8W)

if that still hurts you...get a da-Buddha vaporizer...shits pretty nice if i do say so myself :cool:

Hennessy1414,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Well, the PD draws very little power so you don't necessarily have to unplug it...but I really do see what you're saying, and very little power is still SOME power, so if you really don't vape often then that could indeed be a sticking point. Tom would be the first one to tell you that the PD is not for everyone...

You already mentioned the DBV--that is indeed a sound choice. I own a SSV and don't know that I could ask much more from a whip vape. If you're interested in bags at all and still after that digital display (although there are some complications to the readout with this unit...but there are complications with the digital readout on ALL units which offer that feature...:2c:) then perhaps you should check out the Extreme. Many happy Extreme users among the FC ranks. Anyway, just do some reading around here...there are lots and lots of great reviews, comments, discussions, etc. Enjoy and bonne chance!

vtac said:
This is not a PD cult, in fact I would advise you against the PD. If you can't stand the thought of a 30 minute warm up time you'd hate the waiting list to buy one.
:lol: Yous a funny man vtac. :p

partially veiled,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Jerry, I would suggest considering some other features...there's a whole lot more to consider than just a digital readout.

There's delivery method such as whip/tube vs bag.

There's stealth...how out in the open will your unit be and how obvious do you want it to be?

Will you mostly be vaping alone or with groups?

How high of a priority is efficiency for you?

What about cost (I know you mentioned $150, but is that firm if you want more features?)?

Do you like to customize your collection like with lots of nice glass?

Do you like bells and whistles such as lighting and remote controls?

What about durability and customer service?

If you're $150 is the absolute most you can spend, then I think you have found your legitimate options in the DBV and the PD. If you have a nice glass collection you want to use, a little more would get you a VRIP heat wand pretty soon, I think.

There is enough information on this forum that, if you think out these details ahead of time, you have a high chance of being very satisfied with your first purchase.

stickstones,

youdontknowme

If you are truly concerned about the combusting, the PD will not combust.
If you are truly concerned about temperature knobs, don't be? some (most?) of the best vapes in the world don't have temperature knobs. (By which I mean, knobs displaying temperatures.... not knobs that control the amount of heat output. Adjustable heat output is very important in my book.)
If you would like to save money, yeah, avoid knock offs.... and check my sig! (shameless plug :brow:)

Sure. You can absolutely roast your weed in the VB. Or SSV. Or any vape with heat control. But I can honestly say I haven't burned in months (I haven't had it years lol). Look at the spent weed and you will see its a light green/brown. Definitely no combustion. I keep mine set at 10 o'clock sharp.

I'm not gonna lie, there's a reason I'm selling my VB. I want better vapor. But the only vapes I'm considering replacing it with start at 400 or 500 dollars. So, yeah, they are better. At least you'd hope. Whatever you choose it will be orders of magnitude healthier than smoking, hands down. If you aren't a daily user then I wouldn't spend more than your stated $150. There's tons of great vapes at that price point.

Post back with answers to stickstones questions and we'll point you in the right direction. Enjoy the vapor!

youdontknowme,

max

Out to lunch
I'm looking for something that costs ~$150 (or less, if possible) and has temperature control (some sort of display or something telling me the exact temperature would be nice, but a labeled dial would also be nice). What exactly are my options? All I know of are the VaporBrothers unit and the Da Buddah (but the Da Buddah doesn't have explicit temperature control in that the dial isn't labeled at all, so you could end up combusting or you're not going to get all vapor). Any other options?
I'll second the opinions you've already seen on your thread. Dude, two points-1)you're getting info here from some people with a ton of knowledge about vapor and what's available to produce it. You can read every other source of user info on the web and you won't do as well as you'll do here. 2) You won't find a digital vape in your desired price range that's worth it as far as accuracy or reliability. Combusting isn't an issue with a decent electric vape, and unless you're willing to spend a lot more money, you're gonna have to find the vaping range on your particular vape-the high end, where your remains are black (but not combusted), and the low end, where you're just starting to get vapor. That's your vaping range and you'll find a spot you like somewhere in the middle. The Buddha is one vape that WILL combust, but you have to crank it way up-it's just not an issue. Some like the fact that it goes to those high temps. It would allow you to vape Salvia divinorum for example.

Another point about temp settings with a direct draw vape. Even if you find your favorite temp setting and leave it there, turning the vape on/off with an in-line switch or power strip, you'll be producing a slightly different temp nearly every time you hit it, since the strength of your draw greatly contributes to the actual temp that hits your bowl.

In the $150 price range the best choices for quality and reliability are gonna be the previously mentioned DBV and PD. For $120, if saving $30-40 is important, you can't beat the standard Vaporcannon. Check eBay for auctions with extras including digital scale, grinder, screens. The hands free Vaporcannon, at $140, loses out to the DBV IMO, but it is a little more $.

max,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I pretty much agree with everyone above. A digital readout is nice, but it is not the end all be all for vaporizing. It gives you a good idea of what temp you start vaporizing at but different strains sometimes require different vaping temperatures and I tend to set my temp based on how my herbs looks after it's been vaped. After you vape for a little while, you get to understand your machine and the digital readout isn't as important anymore. I own a vaporfection unit with a digital readout and while it is handy, I don't see it any easier/harder to use than my SSV/VHW. If you already own a glass water pipe and want to spend $150 on kick ass vape, another unit you might want to think about is the VRIP VHW. THere is a thread on that in this forum and normally retails for 220 (170 for heat wand + 50 for intake) but is discounted until the first production runs are exhausted. Good luck in your search, do some more reading around these forums and you will find a vaporizer that fits your style.

stonemonkey55,

max

Out to lunch
Is the wand still available for the presale price sm? What's the current minimum price for a working setup from VRIPtech if you have no glass?

max,

mrshock486

I was feeling the same as you and i decided on the v-tower about a month ago. it's pretty nice
for the price tag. With that said, the next one i'll probably get is the pd or the dbv
due to the reviews. The v-tower(not the extreme) has all the knobs you want if thats important to you

mrshock486,

alucard

Is the wand still available for the presale price sm? What's the current minimum price for a working setup from VRIPtech if you have no glass?
100-150$ VHW +? shipping for VHW 100-150$
$49.99 + $6.01 shipping for the bowl 56$
$59.99 + $9.01 shipping for watertool 60$

Assuming domestic shipping, a 100$ price on the VHW, and free shipping on the VHW, the cheapest setup would cost 216$.

A PD with a vapolution battery pack/charger is about the same price.

alucard,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Max, as far as I know, he still taking pre-orders on the VHW. if you were to do the entire set up using VRIPtech stuff then based on their website:

VHW + VCB = $150 preorder price (retail for the VHW is 170 and 50 for the shorty intake, so you get a nice 70 savings on the preorder)
VWT I - $60
S&H = 15?
Total = $225 ($295 retail)

Not too bad, I never priced it out that way, I kinda always lumped the VHW in with my Vaporfection and Evolutions unit based on the overall price (007 kit with Steinel heat gun which by itself is $260 on their website alone :o) but now that I actually priced out the items as a package, it kinda falls into the SSV and Extreme price point which is kinda nice considering what you are getting. Asking a consumer to spend more than $500 for a vape is a bit much (even though I splurged on the vpaorfection, but it was just more out of curiosity than being fiscally responsible). Anyhow is, last I heard, they should be shipping before end of month so hopefully we'll see some reviews from other folks on this site.

stonemonkey55,

HoneyAir

PD= Ultimate personal use vape, especially for $150. Power use or warmup is not really an issue because everyone always leaves those 'vampire' box transformer plugs plugged in, slowly drawing power, the same as if the PD were on all day. The car adapter keeps it warm for trips to other places. High efficiency so your stuff lasts much longer, if saving money or slowing your burn rate is important. LIFETIME USE because hardly anything could 'kill' this vape.

DaBuddah= Excellent party vape... for taking those huge rips instead of having to deal with the forced air draw of the PD. You'll burn through herb much faster, so if its plentiful/cheap for you then thats the better path. DON'T BREAK THE GLASS... might want to buy extra whips in case... or have superglue on standby in an emergency [had to do that with my first vape, lol]. Gonna be near $200 if not more due to additional whips, shipping, etc.

HoneyAir,

JerryG20

Thanks for all the replies, everybody. I'm starting to consider the Purple Days more and realize that maybe a temperature guage and possibly control isn't so crucial.

So, I'm looking at Purple Days vs. Da Buddha. Any comments on warranty/customer support? Is there a lead time on shipping these out for either (I'd like to get mine ASAP when I order :) ). Where should I order each of these respectively (official website, or are there cheaper places? Coupon codes or anything? PD is on Amazon, BTW)?

Lastly, this might be kind of weird this sort of thing always helps me with decisions, can people give me some reasons *not* to get the Purple Days and *not* to get the Da Buddha to help me decide which one to get?

BTW, why do people still cough after using vaporizers?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHz0...0zdqxBavwDryphqQGPniS8Vvl93aa95H2PeGc5ry4AxJ3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaBq5zQAoG8&feature=related

It can't just be part of the nature of inhaling stuff that's not pure oxygen because I've tried a hookah before and it was incredibly smooth and I didn't cough at all (and my lungs are kind of sensitive to this stuff). I really just want the results I got from trying a hookah with a vaporizer to make the experience that much smoother and easier, you know?

Thanks!

JerryG20,

max

Out to lunch
Any comments on warranty/customer support?
3 yrs. on both. Both companies have excellent support. It's very unlikely you'll need warranty service on either, especially the PD (what is there to fail?).

Is there a lead time on shipping these out for either
That's a question for 7th Floor and Tom. Tom and Pam will quickly answer via email, while I'd call 7th Floor. They still have issues with email response.

Where should I order each of these respectively?
I'd get both direct. The DBV especially-gives you a chance to order extra tubing, screens, without increasing your shipping cost. The PD on Amazon is from vapenow and it's $180. :o

The big difference between the two units IMO is the hit size. Bigger hits from the DBV, obviously. It's a full size whip unit. The PD gives amazing hits for its size, but efficiency rules with this unit. The bigger hitting unit tends to make for some waste, since some of those big hits can be a little more than can be easily processed. There are those of us here who own both a full size whip vape (several SSV/PD owners) and the PD, but the PD gets the most use. Not to say that everyone will prefer the PD, but it certainly does happen. My use is probably 75% PD, 25% SSV. While you couldn't pry my SSV out of my hands, if you put a gun to my head, I'd hand over the SSV before the PD. As a disclaimer, I'm not a big fan of huge bong type hits though. I find the PD hits quite satisfactory for the most part.

The PD is also a much better stealth vape, and easily doubles as an aroma diffuser. Has some nice portability too. You won't go wrong with either vape, and you may find yourself owning one of each eventually in any case.

max,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom