Looking for a flame based back up

Status
Not open for further replies.

OO

Technical Skeptical
I don't understand how noone has mentioned the hammer.

I mean really? You can put it away hot, and with the new lock-on setup, you can come back for more at a later date.

It's worth consideration at the very least.

satyrday

I don't understand how noone has mentioned the hammer.

I mean really? You can put it away hot, and with the new lock-on setup, you can come back for more at a later date.

It's worth consideration at the very least.
Just read through some of the hammer thread quickly and saw the new lock-on setup. Can you explain a little how this helps as far as coming back for more at a later date? Thanks.

Simply put, you can leave the stem on the vape, which does hinder storage, but allows you to set it down with everything in place. This may be more important when I get my short wooden tube made by one of the members of this site. I think a short tube is genius, because you can lock it on to the vape, and just leave the vape in your pocket. (look on the last page or so for these pictures.

You can make these yourself with little difficulty I assume.
Looks good. Smaller than I imagined when seeing it in someone's hand. I always pictured the hammer as being bigger, like a standard sized hammer. Maybe that's why something about it seemed at odds with the portable market. The hammer association took root in my brain and caused a malfunction - hope that's not a marketing problem (probably just me). But really this looks very portable now that I study it closer. Maybe it should be called "The Mini Hammer"!

Does it continue to cook the herb much after setting it down, or does it cool off pretty quickly?

Edit: also extra portable because you don't need a separate lighter - nice

satyrday,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Just read through some of the hammer thread quickly and saw the new lock-on setup. Can you explain a little how this helps as far as coming back for more at a later date? Thanks.
Simply put, you can leave the stem on the vape, which does hinder storage, but allows you to set it down with everything in place. This may be more important when I get my short wooden tube made by one of the members of this site. I think a short tube is genius, because you can lock it on to the vape, and just leave the vape in your pocket. (look on the last page or so for these pictures.

You can make these yourself with little difficulty I assume.

OO

Technical Skeptical
Looks good. Smaller than I imagined when seeing it in someone's hand. I always pictured the hammer as being bigger, like a standard sized hammer. Maybe that's why something about it seemed at odds with the portable market. The hammer association took root in my brain and caused a malfunction - hope that's not a marketing problem (probably just me). But really this looks very portable now that I study it closer. Maybe it should be called "The Mini Hammer"!

Does it continue to cook the herb much after setting it down, or does it cool off pretty quickly?

Edit: also extra portable because you don't need a separate lighter - nice
Materials make little to no contact with the heating element. Residual convection/conduction is kept to a minimum. That being said, simply removing the stem from the heat source eliminates heat transfer (with the exception of the minimal conduction from the tube in contact with the material (next to nothing)).

ehakim

Just finished reading everyone's responses first off I want to thank everyone who took the time to answer my question :) it looks like I'm gonna end up getting the glass Sherlock VG, the price seems right for a backup and I do like that its convection, so what is the general consensus on the best lighter to use?

Shmoo

Just finished reading everyone's responses first off I want to thank everyone who took the time to answer my question :) it looks like I'm gonna end up getting the glass Sherlock VG, the price seems right for a backup and I do like that its convection, so what is the general consensus on the best lighter to use?
I would go with a refillable, soft-flame, side-lighting pipe lighter. Any should work, but the cheaper ones will deteriorate faster.

Shmoo,

Shmoo

Haven't seen many under 20 bucks, anyone got a link? I purchased one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JHI2CI/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1 not expecting a great find but might be useful!
The one I bought about a year ago (and still works!) is this: http://dx.com/p/stylish-silver-cigar-lighter-10080 It's unfortunately not in stock anymore, so if mine broke I would purchase this: http://dx.com/p/zinc-alloy-pu-butane-gas-lighter-for-smoking-pipe-black-silver-182582
It ships from China so it will take a few weeks to arrive, but it's cheap and good quality for the price so it's worth the wait. At least mine was...the new one looks pretty solidly built though.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
both torch and bic lighters work, but require different techniques. I got the bic technique down, and I am too lazy to convert and learn the torch method...but I recommend it since it makes this vape usable in the wind. The side shooting torch makes sense. Every time I get a torch lighter for these things I forget that and get one that shoots up and then it doesn't work well when I use it on its side.

I think I just talked myself into a side torch lighter for it.

satyrday

both torch and bic lighters work, but require different techniques. I got the bic technique down, and I am too lazy to convert and learn the torch method...but I recommend it since it makes this vape usable in the wind. The side shooting torch makes sense. Every time I get a torch lighter for these things I forget that and get one that shoots up and then it doesn't work well when I use it on its side.

I think I just talked myself into a side torch lighter for it.
This one's a good step up from the super cheapies but still reasonable price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MPYVLE/

satyrday,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
ahhh....now I gotta prove it! Thanks for the link. I know nothing of that brand. so it's a good one and worth the extra $10 compared to the cheapies?

stickstones,

satyrday

ahhh....now I gotta prove it! Thanks for the link. I know nothing of that brand. so it's a good one and worth the extra $10 compared to the cheapies?
It's been real solid for me. No problems. I've had cheapies that wouldn't light consistently or were hard to dial in a consistent flame at all levels. This one is good up and down the dial.

satyrday,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

stickstones

Vapor concierge
ok then...let's see how wise this makes me...taking the plunge!

Thanks again for the suggestion and link!

stickstones,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

satyrday

ok then...let's see how wise this makes me...taking the plunge!

Thanks again for the suggestion and link!
Would like to hear your feedback with the genie once you get it. You got me interested in the VG and I've got one on order. Will be using it with this lighter. I got one of the last ugly yellow ones on clearance from piu! My only choice. That worked out for me because I have a strange history with being connected to ugly yellow (cars etc). I've learned to accept it.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I have a hookah too that I am using more and more, so it made it an easier purchase to justify.

I'm looking forward to using it with the GVG. I should have it in about a week. I'm gonna have to bounce over to the VG thread and get jam's tips on using the torch!

stickstones,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

satyrday

I have a hookah too that I am using more and more, so it made it an easier purchase to justify.

I'm looking forward to using it with the GVG. I should have it in about a week. I'm gonna have to bounce over to the VG thread and get jam's tips on using the torch!
Just read this on the Vapor Genie FAQ:
http://www.vaporgenie.com/vaporgenie-lighter-info

"Do not use torch lighters with glass VaporGenie pipes. We believe torch lighters can cause cracking of the glass."

Not a problem for me because I have the wood VG, but wanted to let you know since you said you were going to use it with your GVG.

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everyone,

At the moment i'm browsing around about dual-flame lighters such as those: "Lotus L25 Blue Matte", "Vector Armor Black Matte", etc. I like Vector's "Gladius Mahogany Marble Lacquer" external design but this one doesn't come with a torch jet, unfortunately... Any similar suggestions to complement my first two examples??? Unless it's better to just pick a jetable as shown below?

Now here's what i don't like. Lotus L25 has a slider button, Vector Armor has relatively rough edges, Lotus L25 and Vector Gladius have no dust cover on their "soft" flame sides, etc.

:peace:

Egzoset,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Just read this on the Vapor Genie FAQ:
http://www.vaporgenie.com/vaporgenie-lighter-info

"Do not use torch lighters with glass VaporGenie pipes. We believe torch lighters can cause cracking of the glass."

Not a problem for me because I have the wood VG, but wanted to let you know since you said you were going to use it with your GVG.

Thank you very much! You may have just saved me my precious GVG.

stickstones,
Reactions: satyrday

satyrday

Thank you very much! You may have just saved me my precious GVG.
I don't know how much they are just covering their ass warranty-wise with this (understandably so). I'm sure you'd crack it all to fuck if you shot it directly for too long, but hovering high enough and taking your time, and I bet it would hold up fine. But it's not mine to risk!

satyrday,
My friend who uses a glass VG swears by using a jet lighter. There was a lot of discussion about this on dmtnexus, I think the consensus was that it is perfectly ok.

mrboote,
Reactions: satyrday
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom