Looking for a flame based back up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehakim

As the title says I'm looking for a flame powered vaporizer to have on hand as a back up and also to bring camping this summer I have no experience with these kinds of vapes but I am feeling drawn to glass vaporgenie bat, anyone have other suggestions? The gnome looks too fragile for my needs and I haven't heard much on the lotus, I trust the fc community on this one so please help me out guys :)

ehakim,
Reactions: satyrday

satyrday

I'm looking for one too so I'll listen in here. I would like one that cools quickly so I can take one hit and return later without the herb all used up. So if people could comment on that side of it I'd appreciate.

satyrday,
Reactions: ehakim

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
I think as long as you'd have some form of protective case for the GnOme the fragility of it shouldn't be a problem. If you are looking for a flame-based vaporizer that can take a beating, there are about three(that I'm aware of). The lotus, the vaporgenie, or the Supreme vaporizer. I own the latter but haven't tried the previous two.

The supreme is able to retain temperature for short durations so less reheating(compared to my other flame vapes) is needed. Other than the digital thermometer(bi-metallic on current version now I think?) there is very little to damage that could be done that would inhibit function. Supreme can deliver lung busting, cough inducing hits from start to end so if that is what you seek, you shall find it here. Easy mating to an 18mm water piece is possible with the included silicone adapter.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I really like the lithe its small simple and inexpensive the VG is great also, the supreme works amazing.
for really camping though The lithe and the VG stand out for me due to only needing herb and a bic. I wouldn't want to use a torch and Glass in that situation , just seems camping, less is better imo. I still get the best results out of the Lithe and VG with a Bic style flame , Two bics the lithe And 1/2 oz fit in my Levi's pocket and good for a extended Weekend in the woods [or here swamp] .

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
this is the million dollar question, i'm not sure we've found the perfect answer yet.

the suggestion for the $34 VG classic is a probably the closet answer to something that is simple and durable and can even be used with a regular lighter. Most of the other flame ones require a torch, which introduces more complexity. that is something to factor when you are camping and your torch malfunctions vs having 5 or 6 new disposables in your pack for the VG.

there is also the vapman, in addition to the ones VaporEyes mentioned. I haven't used it personally but the reviews are good and their non-mica one is pretty cheap on their website. You need a torch lighter with this one but the vapman is simple and small and includes an egg shaped case.

the supreme is pretty awesome, that I do have. Huge ripper. Every vapor lover should try it at least once. While it retains heat longer then these other vaps, it also takes longer to heat up.

Not sure how familiar you are with these things but the main difference between the VG line and the lotus, the vapman, the gnome, the supreme is the purity of the vapor path. The VG products include the lighter exhaust in the vapor path. The ones I mentioned (and there are others) remove the exhaust from the vapor path.

price wise you could go from an ubie at 2 for $20
to gnome slider at $34
to vg classic on sale $34
to gnome GonG at $50
to vapman wood for ~$84
to lotus at ~$100
to supreme at $200

and of course there are others that i haven't mentioned.

the lotus looks cool too.

we need a vape swapping network or something, it would be cool to try them without having to buy them.

clouded vision

I don't have any experience with them but you could also try the ubie. They do look very fragile but at 6 for $50 who cares if you break one. Also if this is for normal camping and you aren't hiking or paddling long distances where even extra ounces add up you could also look it butane powered vaporizers like the 2 iolite models, just pack an extra can of butane and you can vape the whole trip electricity free

clouded vision,

vaporonly

Love my Vapman. You can use it with glass as well.
did you get the wood bottomed one or the more expensive mica bottomed one?

i'm wondering if it would be worth it to get the more expensive one.

vaporonly,

Tweek

did you get the wood bottomed one or the more expensive mica bottomed one?

i'm wondering if it would be worth it to get the more expensive one.

I got the mica version. Can't really say whether it was worth the extra or not...I just liked that it was finished with a nice stain and had that extra layer of protection. I know alot of folks buy the cheaper version and are happy.

Edward Hyde

i bought the vapman basic and the would arround the heating element gets black and smells like burnt in the begining...wich wasnt such a problem for me...(still havent gotten through this process yet cause i am using my xp a lot also) but the smell and the burning stops after some time as the manufacturer says in his site...anyway vapman works like a champ+ its windproof+fast+u dont inhalte the flame so no butane smell thats why i chose the vapman over vg for my backup...a really close friend of mine has the vg and i can say vg's vapor is much smoother and less harsher than vapman (wich is VERY iritating to my throat i think because of the conduction thats going on in there...) but the vapman has all these + i mentioned + its MUCH smaller and can use more stealthy.

Edward Hyde,

vaporonly

i bought the vapman basic and the would arround the heating element gets black and smells like burnt in the begining...wich wasnt such a problem for me...(still havent gotten through this process yet cause i am using my xp a lot also) but the smell and the burning stops after some time as the manufacturer says in his site...anyway vapman works like a champ+ its windproof+fast+u dont inhalte the flame so no butane smell thats why i chose the vapman over vg for my backup...a really close friend of mine has the vg and i can say vg's vapor is much smoother and less harsher than vapman (wich is VERY iritating to my throat i think because of the conduction thats going on in there...) but the vapman has all these + i mentioned + its MUCH smaller and can use more stealthy.

thank you for this info. does the burnt smell make it into the vapor or is it something you smell around the unit?

also did you mean the vapman's vapor is much smoother then the VG?? Seems to be what you are trying to say just mixed the two.

vaporonly,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
I bought the vapman basic and the wood around the heating element gets black and smells burnt in the begining...

I wonder if running the vapman "dry" before first use would cause this to occur. If it does, that would prevent the burnt wood taste from getting into your vapor when you actual have it loaded.

VaporEyes,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The Vapman has a really small bowl, so keep that in mind. If you have a higher tolerance, or want to use around the campfire with friends, then I'd go with the VG. The VG bowl allows for multiple fat rips before needing a re-fill. The Vapman is more of a take-your-time-and-enjoy-the-garden-by-yourself type of device IMO.

:peace:

satyrday

The Vapman has a really small bowl, so keep that in mind. If you have a higher tolerance, or want to use around the campfire with friends, then I'd go with the VG. The VG bowl allows for multiple fat rips before needing a re-fill. The Vapman is more of a take-your-time-and-enjoy-the-garden-by-yourself type of device IMO.

Does vapman cool quickly so you can come back to it later and enjoy uncooked herbs?

satyrday,

Edward Hyde

firstly the smell kinda comes through i mean its arround the air so whatever u inhale arround there has the smell as well...since u can smell it when u breath...

maybe my posts seem a bit weird because i just finish my mma training an had my first session of the day with a TIGHT packed xp and i am a bit destroyed...

no i mean that vgs vapor is MUCH smother that vapmans...the vg is pure convection vaporizer there is nothing transmiting heat in vgs "oven" with conduction...pure air vaporization... in the vapman tho*the heating element is a cone that in the middle it has a bar that is part of the cone...imagine in geometry a cone and the cones height...this is the heating element...now the air holes pass through the cone part and aim on the height wich is a bar made of the same material...

the vaporization process is condaction from the cone and the bar but also the air that comes through the airpath hits the bar and becomes hot also...so the vapman is really strong convection vaporizer but at the same time same strong conduction vaporizer...thats why all 4-5 hits u get from each load are so massive that if your throat is resilient enough u can make clouds like if they were smoke...i am saying that because i cough a lot even with small hits from the vapman because of the conduction,i had exactly the same thing with the mflb...

it feels like vapman is an mflb+a mini da buddha style convection vaporizer in the center wich is flame powered...because the heating element of the mini buddha(i am going to call it like that from now) is so small it can get really hot in seconds using the torch lighter and for the next 10-15 seconds its going to be strong enough to make vapor...for the cone i dont even have to describe it,think of an mflb but lighter powered...heats up in 4-5 seconds (i am still trying to figure out the best method for me) and then u inhale the difference is that with the mflb u had to take care of the battery and the shaking etc...with vapman u load and because its both ways your material comes out DARK brown...like if u put the xp on 7...

sorry for the long post...if someone has some info on how to stop the iritation from vapman specificaly i would love to hear it,thanks in advance.

edit : *( i going to try to explain it even tho i am wasted because i think i can manage to give a clear description of the vapman that i was trying to find before i buy it and i didnt.)

edit 2: there is no need for comeback with vapman...its 3 -4 maximum 5 hits and the 0.05 that was in there is over..and the taste starts getting harsher at the 3rd hit

edit 3: sorry for 3 edits firstly and secondly i dont mean to say anything negative against vg in my post...i love vg because in my wait for the xp i had a friend vg from day to day and its an awesome vape + as i said i prefere vapor genies vapor over vapman's...

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations eHakim,

...as a back up and also to bring camping...

Here's what i'm now using at home or else on a regular basis, after evaluating a more expensive table unit for the last 2 years:

This is my fine-tuned articulated version, it's part of a larger set meant for some additional experiments (mainly water filtration). Right from the start i felt it was necessary for me to add a second sintered ceramic diffuser so i could finally manage to avoid combustion, for all practical purposes:

2hg8z0x.jpg

Proper butane burning appears to humidify cannabic vapour in a very simplistic/affordable manner which i believe helps to address cough-related issues a great deal. The most challenging aspect of it was finding a convenient & satisfying flint-free yellow-flame lighter: the one pictured above beats my Lotus L11 so now i wish i had picked a Colibri instead (lets just say it wasn't easy shopping around for that even in a large city such as Montreal!)... Finally, i'd also mention the need to carry a clean grinder (to prevent getting stuck)!

10.gif

Of course there's room left for improvements but that may suffice to provide a few hints about what to expect, depending on your perspective.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
the VG can be hit now and later on the same bowl, but you never get that really great second hit. or you take that second hit and save the last half of the bowl for later, which sucks. I get four hits off a bowl every time.

And if you are not super worried about fragility, the Glass VG is one of my top 5 all-time vapes, so you would also be getting a top vaporizer in addition to a flame based portable.

satyrday

the VG can be hit now and later on the same bowl, but you never get that really great second hit. or you take that second hit and save the last half of the bowl for later, which sucks. I get four hits off a bowl every time.

And if you are not super worried about fragility, the Glass VG is one of my top 5 all-time vapes, so you would also be getting a top vaporizer in addition to a flame based portable.
OK, so you're saying much better to finish off all at once because it stays hot for awhile and keeps cooking - gotcha. Thanks.

Still looking for a butane vape that won't do that so much. Maybe the vapman? Probably need something more convection.

satyrday,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
OK, so you're saying much better to finish off all at once because it stays hot for awhile and keeps cooking - gotcha. Thanks.

Still looking for a butane vape that won't do that so much. Maybe the vapman? Probably need something more convection.
No, I don't that's what Sticks meant. The VG is 100% convection so it will preserve a mid-session bowl better than most other models. The taste of a partially vaped bowl will suffer in any vape. The MFLB and FlashVape both cool off instantly, so they are probably the absolute best at not ruining a bowl.

Nbajunkie

Someones always watching..
I watched a video on vapman on Torontovaporizerreview .pretty neat how in depth they go. they also said that the mica heat shield brings an element of convection. worth watching. cute girl reviewing..for reference since I don't have the link.found it on youtube

Nbajunkie,

satyrday

No, I don't that's what Sticks meant. The VG is 100% convection so it will preserve a mid-session bowl better than most other models. The taste of a partially vaped bowl will suffer in any vape. The MFLB and FlashVape both cool off instantly, so they are probably the absolute best at not ruining a bowl.

Thanks for that feedback. Which do you think preserves a mid-session bowl the best, the VG or Vapman?

satyrday,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom