Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
:doh:

What is going on? Lol

Underpromiseoverdeliver

Nothing going on, just thinking out loud, getting a consensus of what everybody's thinking, especially the people who've put down cash. But thanks for the honest feedback.

I personally prefer the LB form factor, palm of the hand situation as well. The Timber will be longer, bigger, same thickness, a drop more than half as wide. It won't need to get bigger because of the DNA chip because I can mount it close to the battery compartment, basically right on top of it. It will probably allow the Elite to happen quicker. The 20700 is just a thought and wouldn't affect anything, and yes, gotta fit both batteries.

For now, I'm assembling Classics and Blanks...

HerbieVonVapster

To be honest I had my heart set on a Lil Bud Elite when I signed up to the pre order, not an Elite timber.

I just prefer the form factor of the Lil Bud.

However I'll take what I can get as fundermantally what I'm after is a DNA controlled coiled mesh heater but the lil bud format seems more pocket friendly, even if it needs to be a little larger than the classic.

As for the 20700/21700 query; I still prefer the 18650's as they are more ubiquitous as well as easier/cheaper to source. However the device could cater for both and thus not be mutually exclusive as 18650's can be used with adapter sleeves.

Totally agree I much rather see the lil bud elite. I'll be bummed if that option fell thru. This one really has me excited. Hope the ideal still becomes a reality.

I think alot people are looking to get away from the walkie talkie look of the 510 devices. Was hoping and excited the lil bud elite would be that option. Hard to justify it's cost for me if ends up same size heigh as the other coil 510 mods vaporizers.

It really doesn't fill a spot if it ends up the same heigh and size of say a mod plus iheat. Was hoping for something more pocketable size.

The battery ideal I do like as long as it included a sleeve for 18650 battery size. I do all my charging now with my DNA device inside the mod.

nonbeliever

For what it is worth, if it were me, I’d use the form factor that would allow you to most easily get up to speed and learn what you need to about building a regulated vape with the DNAchip. It would get you all of the jigs and processes you need to build the Timber as a bonus (even if you Immediately vectored back to the LB Elite with the knowledge from that initial build. Having come a bit late to the LB, what I have seen is (as I’ve read through this sub) the evolution as you’ve learned in your production (and “R&D”). You might find, building a first DNA unit (even as the timber form factor), there are mods you do or don’t need to make that you did (or perhaps) didn’t think about for an LB Elite. Might even allow you to evolve the LB Elite faster, rather than learning about all the changes you’ll need for the LB on the fly.

You can’t build 10 until you’ve built one.

My :2c:

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
For what it is worth, if it were me, I’d use the form factor that would allow you to most easily get up to speed and learn what you need to about building a regulated vape with the DNAchip. It would get you all of the jigs and processes you need to build the Timber as a bonus (even if you Immediately vectored back to the LB Elite with the knowledge from that initial build. Having come a bit late to the LB, what I have seen is (as I’ve read through this sub) the evolution as you’ve learned in your production (and “R&D”). You might find, building a first DNA unit (even as the timber form factor), there are mods you do or don’t need to make that you did (or perhaps) didn’t think about for an LB Elite. Might even allow you to evolve the LB Elite faster, rather than learning about all the changes you’ll need for the LB on the fly.

You can’t build 10 until you’ve built one.

My :2c:
I've been doing this long enough to know that everything takes longer than you think, especially when it comes to anything new. Timber will be 3 pieces vs 2, but no right angle joint, all screws together with no visible screws from the exterior. The battery compartment and everything to do with the coil is the exact same. Once I cut the blanks, the job is half done. I may have to see what it takes to build one of each. A very rough prototype version of each one, using the 2 boards I already have, and this will tell us a lot about what has to happen. I think I need to build up a bit more inventory, maybe another dozen walnut / cherry stock Classics, before I get started, and switch focus.

I got some walnut and cherry stock, might be a good time to dig in and build, while developing the Elite and Timber together. Time to hit the drawing board...

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
My new onboard pick tool to go along with safety tab . Simple bamboo skewer stick cut to battery compartment length. It's long enough to poke out the screen from the roasting tube too ! :D

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2351.jpg

:cool:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Seems like we're split down the middle on the LB Elite and the Timber Elite. I get wanting to get away from the 510 connector stack. My brain is working overtime, wheels are turning, to find the right path to move forward on the Elite..

I was just looking at the Timber design. It's going to be about 96 mm (LB height) + 54 mm + 25 mm for a total height of 175 mm (or about 7 inches). Thickness remains the same (29 mm) and width is 32 mm. The 32 mm width is necessary for the disc that mounts the coil. The battery compartment only needs about 26 mm deep, and the DNA75C can be mounted right on top of it, with only a thin wall in between. The unit is 3 pieces, screwed together, with no screw heads showing, thanks to an ingenious design (thanks @Alan ). Shouldn't be too hard to come up with this prototype.

Lil' Bud is about 59 mm wide, with a side by side coil and battery. The battery compartment is about 26 mm deep, coil takes up an inch (26 mm). That leaves about 1/4 inch of wood between coil and battery compartment. I need to leave at least that between the coil compartment and the chip. Again, if we're just talking about a prototype, this shouldn't be too bad either.

What this process needs more than anything else is my focus. I think I can best facilitate this by building a decent size inventory of Classics, Unique Blends. I can then shift focus, knowing I have units on hand to send to customers.

Report on my new DD - My Review
First thing you notice is how it feels, smooth as silk, almost irresistible to the touch. The finish is a lustrous deep sheen that only highly buffed wax can produce. The switch is firm, not mushy, but in no way hard to press. Performance is by far the best yet. Hit the button and slowly inhale, and you'll be rewarded with an almost immediate, velvety smooth, blast of flavorful goodness that has a tendency to melt your face off. The ability to extract is clearly demonstrated by the dry and pulverized state of the ABV left behind after every session.

The other thing I notice is the ease of use. Getting the timing between button and pull is kinda easy. It's a pleasure to hold and it barely gets warm - body, switch, are cucumbers. I guess you can say that workmanship has gone up quite a bit from the early batches - better coil forming, better soldering, better connections, better fit and finish. It's just better...

I just shot a 5 minute *impromptu, zero planning, just sitting sitting on my couch with my latest toy*, video. Reddy is not on screen, but sleeping right next to me. I am on the second video, so bare with me. Nothing fancy, just me doing a stem. I don't get all the way through it. I think it demonstrates LB's ease of use, power, and how freakin' pretty it got. It's uploading now...

I'll post when I can post new.

Last edited:

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
Just got back from the Finger Lakes. @P.A.M. I was in Geneva, NY not Switzerland. But it was still beautiful.

I have to say I'm truly smitten with my LB. It's so cool to have it working exactly as Mike envisioned it. And I'm now looking at my vape collection to see what I now truly need.

@Bravesst the Uniques are so damn cool. Kudos on a great, repeatable design. It's been real fun being a part of this.

Cheers FCers.

beyond6strings

Welcome back @beyond6strings , so glad to hear you're appreciating the first 2.1. I am blown away myself.

Ok, here is my latest zero prep, edit, video. Please excuse the scuffs, I wound up finish sanding again. Needs a little buffing.

Just did a session with you, and copied, as much as I could, of your technique while watching. The biggest change is that I started drawing sooner and holding the button longer before feathering. Much thicker hits. More flavor.

This...this is how to use the LB. Thanks Mike.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I love that I don't have to worry about how it'll perform. I was able to turn the camera on during a regular session and just record. Yes, @P.A.M. , it really is LB 2.2 with the angled high performance vent holes. They really look nice, kinda racy.

Had a day out and about yesterday. I brought both my med pen and LB. For what it is, the cartridge pen isn't bad, virtually invisible, odorless, and tasteless. I really don't feel like I'm vaping, but the effect is definitely there. It's a 20T to 1C mixture, so pretty up. But as soon as I got my hands on LB, the pen was relieved of duty. Also not cheap at $95 a cartridge. LB with dry flower is far more economical.

HerbieVonVapster

was just looking at the Timber design. It's going to be about 96 mm (LB height) + 54 mm + 25 mm for a total height of 175 mm (or about 7 inches). Thickness remains the same (29 mm) and width is 32 mm. The 32 mm width is necessary for the disc that mounts the coil. The battery compartment only needs about 26 mm deep, and the DNA75C can be mounted right on top of it, with only a thin wall in between. The unit is 3 pieces, screwed together, with no screw heads showing, thanks to an ingenious design (thanks @Alan ). Shouldn't be too hard to come up with this prototype.

Honestly can see how it's a hard choice since as there folks waiting on a timber for a while. If still planning on building both and timber is the easier to get a feel of how to proceed that sounds like the best step. Or try what said earlier build one of each.

Right now I leaning towards just holding off till you get time for the Lil bud elites. I really prefer something that would slide into my pocket.

My taste might change and i'll decide to get both. At 7 inches with out the stem it sounds tall. Do you happen have a prototype of the timber? Would love to see a side by side picture with a lil bud. I'm trying wrap my head around the size difference and picture helps more than numbers with this.

HerbieVonVapster,
Reactions: money2

money2

The form factor of LB is what was most appealing relative to the elite project when announced ....the height and width make it pocketable and not unwieldy and light sabreish which is a major disadvantage of the current 510+ mod setups. prefer to see Timber following completion of LB elite .

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Okay boys and girls, the guru has chimed in (@Alan email - thank you) and he feels no advantage to Timber over LB as far as Elite goes, not in ease of build or performance. So original plans are in place, LB Elite first, Timber second, Timber Elite third.

Believe me, I love the form factor of the LB, everything about it. So have no fear pre-orders, we are back on track, FSA on LB Elite. It's gonna be a fascinating little project.

WITH THAT SAID: The LB Elite is in full swing and needs another kick start. I'm going to throw in a free mouthpiece for anyone who pre-orders an Elite or buys a Unique.

MOUTHPIECE GIVE-AWAY SALE ENDS IN 24 HOURS

All of my batch 8 Walnut units are assembled, also have to assemble one cherry, one QM, 3 PH's, and 3 Blends. I'll need to form some coils in order to complete the batch. Once I get going, I'm going to make 20.

So, some observations on today's building. I got another 3 done, 4 yesterday. The units are assembling themselves due to the accuracy level achieved, and careful preparation. I'm down to 45 minutes per installation, and that is taking my time. Dropping the coil in is what it's all about, as there is no room for error. My coils forming skills on this last batch have improved, so installation is so much less fussing to get things right. It basically just pops in, maybe a minor adjustment, and I'm all set. I'm very pleased with the angled vent holes, Alan used the word turbulence to describe the air as it changes direction because of the angled holes - so now we can say that LB features Turbo Vents...

I built a simple jig to help me with final assembly, to ensure the LB comes back to the perfect fit of pre-assembly, in the final assembly. It's just two boards and two clamps, but it has saved me a ton of time and ensured the perfect fit. This doesn't work well unless the fit was 100% in pre-assembly, which now it is. Today, I had some 400 grit paper on the belt, but have only found down to 240 grit on the sticky 6 inch disc paper. I have some 6 inch not sticky that I might be able to hot glue, but I'd rather find 320 and 400 in sticky back. What made the disc sander go from good to great is the table and miter gauge. The belt also has a guide table, but I haven't used that yet, as I'm only using the belt on the wide, flat dimension, easy to hold flat, but after wrecking a unit or two, I realized the smaller sides need the table and miter gauge. This tool is gonna make you love the way LB feels in the palm of your hand. When this next batch hits, that will be one of the big observations.

What else I feel will be noticed is the powerful extraction. It's either the coil performing better because of 50 percent more solder used and tighter spiral, or the new solid switch, or the tight ss foil wrap oven, or the turbo vent holes, or all 5 things working synergistically. Yeah, it's probably that last one.

Last edited:

HerbieVonVapster

Well that made my day. I always try go with the flow and if timber needed to be first woulda understood.

I am going make it no secret thou that your glad moving forward as planned.
It's rare a have a manufacture shares so opening there thought process and visions. That you also took the time to ask our thoughts says a lot on your passion to build best product you can.

Going be exciting times to watch this become a reality. I feel with using the iheat on a DNA mod that this is going be a winner on many levels.

I spend a bit time trying help others with setting up there DNA device. The biggest issue I see are the finding the correct material files, setting up mod resistance and case resistance. Also with mods the 510 connection can be a weak point. There's also lesser issue with setting concerning preheat etc.

Being these settings will be predone the lil bud elite is going rock. Having the correct values already entered should outperform a mod and 510 device. Using high quality parts with well soldiered connections should allow for most accurate resistance reading and a smoother overall temperature control.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Still waiting to hear from my switch guy, he said mid September, so another week or so. In the meantime, I'm searching for other back up sources, not so easy to sift through all the junk. Some switches are *turned*, some *stamped*. I'm not sure if this always correlates with the quality of the switch, but turned switches seem to be made better. I found another supplier, of what appears to be a turned 16 mm switch, only fully flat. I decided to try it out. These unique switches can always go into my Unique units, as long as the quality is there.

Speaking of quality. Alan made a very interesting comment that I keep hearing over in my head. *Pretty soon we won't be able to improve any more, and we'll become like the Maytag repair man*

Recent Improvements (last few days)
The improvements are almost daily. Yesterday I got a little better at the final assembly process, having built a new jig and done 7 units with it. I also came up with a better way to screw the terminals in place, opting to forgo using my pin vise to drill a small pilot hole, but rather a very fine scratch awl just to poke a hole. Screw seems to cinch down a hair tighter. Only a few days ago, I discovered I could pre twist the wire from coil to switch when connecting, then twist back to allow the nut to attach, then bend back to the original position, maintaining the integrity of the wire by never having to rotate it counterclockwise. The hole from the battery to switch compartments has been turned into a tear drop shape that can be formed twice as fast with two drill bits and a file. The final modifications to the switch box has been streamlined as well. I think it was just a few days ago, I discovered I could attach my buffer to my drill press and go to town on the beeswax finish - you're gonna love this, especially after it's been sanded smooth on the belt and disc sanders. Turbo vents, but I guess that's already old news.

So improvements still seem to be multiplying, as we head for that Maytag repairman status...

beyond6strings

@Bravesst since your video tutorial on the LB yesterday my experience with mine has gone through the roof.

I'm having to retrain myself a bit since I got so used to pre-heating, holding the button down for 3-5 secs, and then starting to draw. But with the LB 2's better coil and aluminum-lined switch box, pre-heating is not really necessary, it's all about how I draw. As your video made crystal clear.

Better flavor, better taste, thicker vapor, and a better overall experience. My other vapes are well and truly jealous. Deservedly so...I may have found the One True Vape.

EDIT: I still think well-dried flower does better. I tried using some flower yesterday that was a bit on the wet side, and it really hurt performance. I dried it out overnight and the performance this afternoon was my best LB session ever. Probably my best vaping session ever.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good Morning...

Been updating the website, lots of products to sort out. Not lots of interest in blending your own LB, so I've decided to limit customer choices to switch box and back plate, and go with 10 templates. Maybe that will make it a bit easier to wrap your head around what the Blend is.

LB Blend
Layer One - 30 mm layer that sits on the switch box side. The switch box can be matched identically, or contrasted to layer one (your option). Layer two is more of a racing stripe at about 8 mm, typically contrasted with layers one and three. Layer three, battery side, is about 22 mm. The back plate can either match, or contrast with layer 3, your choice. Of course the mouthpiece comes in all four hardwoods as well. I'd like to get a batch of Blends out in October.

SAVE 10% with coupon code: BLENDIN

Go to >> vapwood.com for Blend options

Lots to do, build, design, purchase.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
So just a few mins ago, LB fell off my lap , went smashing in hard soil , battery came flying out and all , lol , still works as good if not better :lol: I was surprised for the battery door to open and battery to eject because typically it doesn't.it was probably a harder fall then usually or way it fell. The battery terminals were still tight when reinserting the battery , I did notice the battery terminals are curved to go inwards when there is no battery in the LB compared to my previous LB's. Well done , Mike , perhaps this fall is indication that the terminal installation tweak is serving its purpose :tup:

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back
Good Morning...

Been updating the website, lots of products to sort out. Not lots of interest in blending your own LB, so I've decided to limit customer choices to switch box and back plate, and go with 10 templates. Maybe that will make it a bit easier to wrap your head around what the Blend is.

LB Blend
Layer One - 30 mm layer that sits on the switch box side. The switch box can be matched identically, or contrasted to layer one (your option). Layer two is more of a racing stripe at about 8 mm, typically contrasted with layers one and three. Layer three, battery side, is about 22 mm. The back plate can either match, or contrast with layer 3, your choice. Of course the mouthpiece comes in all four hardwoods as well. I'd like to get a batch of Blends out in October.

SAVE 10% with coupon code: BLENDIN

Go to >> vapwood.com for Blend options

Lots to do, build, design, purchase.

For what it's worth, I was going for the blending options until I fell in love with a couple of the Uniques.

Vapeur Rogue,
Reactions: P.A.M.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Hey All...

The gauge needed to be upgraded. I had a vision for it, it just about came together in one try. I have to check in with Alan on using the vape while it's hooked up, but it's not hard wired in. I can install magnets, but the battery clips sit behind LB's terminals and hold pretty tight. For a first try, it's not bad. I was able to do this because my switch guy also sells these gauges, and they are light years ahead of the previous, extremely fragile, gauges. I bet they're more accurate as well. I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave it on, as it's working right off the battery.

In the meantime, for all who are asking about their vapes, nothing is happening with shipping until next week. I am trying to get batch 8 and all repairs together for Monday, but that's optimistic at best. I'm doing the best I can, and these delays are still tied to the old switches coming back to haunt me (all of us actually).

I did get a couple more units finalized today, organized sales on the website, and finally got a nice gauge up and running. Good day. Must be the good weed, but I'm officially removing all pressure from myself as far as deadlines. I know my work ethic is over the top, and that is all I can do, my best. If that's not good enough for everyone, you going to have to find somebody to build your vapes...

Last edited:

beyond6strings

@Bravesst private deadlines are great motivators, and for me they are important. But when it comes to art, and make no mistake, what you are doing is art, deadlines are something ethereal at best, and probably shouldn't be made public. That's as it should be. Sometimes you discover something that will make what you're doing better, but will take more time to execute. We're all better off when that happens.

The gentleman that builds my guitars and I decided a long time ago to NOT put deadlines on my guitars. He's a very motivated guy and deadlines really just mess him up and get in his head. He actually works faster without a deadline. He doesn't feel pressured by an artificial line in the sand, and I know I'm going to get his best work.

One thing is crystal clear-you're no slacker. However long it takes you to get a batch together is how long it takes. Some months are different than others. That's cool. You're not Storz & Bickel. You're Vapwood, a one-man operation.

And I'm pretty sure that when I release my new album I'm going to celebrate by gifting myself one of the LB Blends. I've got a cool design in mind. I would much rather hand my hard-earned money to a person I know and care about than a faceless corporation that cares nothing about me.

:rockon:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
My new switch is in stock! That's the good news, not so good news is I need to buy quite a bit of them to get the quoted price. I'll need to raise some cash for switches. My idea is to offer some of my Unique units for sale, before they are completely assembled and get listed in the store at their regular price. Some of the units listed in the LB Unique Gallery are already sold. As they sell off, I'll mark the current units sold as well. Like I said, once fully assembled, they will be listed in the store at their regular pricing. I am very proud of this batch of Uniques, and they are truly that - unique. Some of these units will not be built again, as many were the test pilots for the LB Blend. They'll be built to the same standards, which goes up with each new build.

This sale will get you into batch 8B, which will be finalized after 8A has shipped (all units sold up until this point). The units are posted in a photo gallery with a short description bare bones price. Add $25 for mouthpiece, $20 for 2 batteries, $10 domestic shipping (mouthpiece and batteries are optional).

>> UNIQUE SALE

I've been out all day, using my LB new prototype battery gauge. Very nice, I ordered a handful more of the volt meter, even though I have at least 20 or so of the shoddy version. These are heavy duty, easy to work with, accurate, worthy of LB, and make it impossible to use the ones I've already got. I've been using my prototype attached to the unit all day, very nice. It slips neatly in behind the terminals. I plan on installing magnets on the next one, and paying more attention to cosmetics. Makes LB about 3/8" wider, but still feels nice in the hand. Interesting development, almost becomes part of the unit seamlessly.

xdw1tu.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom