Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Units are coming together nicely, and it's time to sweeten the pot and move some Lil' Buds...

Lil' Bud Pre Built Uniques

Not yet complete, these 3 Uniques are fresh off the belt sander. Just wait til I fare them down to 600 grit, and apply some hot beeswax. I'll try and offer 2 or 3 units like this, pre-built Uniques, on a regular basis. When the units are fully assembled, I plan on taking better pics, and starting an LB Unique page on the site, where they will be posted as well. Most of these will be unique combinations, and one-of-a-kind units.

All prices are bare bones without shipping. Add $25 for stem (optional), add $10 for shipping.

Figured Walnut / Maple $189
28akbb8.jpg

Quilted Maple / Purple Heart / Cherry $189
kf2zyh.jpg

Maple, Walnut, Cherry $189
148dnjc.jpg

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Holy shit am I loving this belt sander for both ease of use, as well as results. My finer belts arrive today, as well. Started at 120 (a little aggressive brand new), but I have 220 and 320 on the way. This should allow me to start hand sanding at 320 or 400 grit. That is very sweet news for me working less, and producing faster. I may finish sanding completely today. Then it's on to the beeswax finish. Then I'll build all units I have coils for (about 10) / ship those, then form another 20 or so coils for the rest of the batch. Hopefully, my switch guy delivers by then, but I do have enough stock for about 30 more units, so I should be okay no matter what.

Some of the really cool looking switches are from the same manufacturer, and I feel represents no risk (same size / rating). There are a couple of styles from a different manufacturer (same seller) that I need to test out. I plan on putting some of them into my pre-built Uniques, making them even more one-of-a-kind. Look for some final assembly pics coming soon.

EDIT:
Not only did I finish hand sanding all 30, as of right now I have beeswax on 10 units. Fingertips a little sore from an occasional overheat from the heat gun, but I'm going back into the shop to finish the rest. What I am pleasantly surprised at, is how much the beeswax helps blend the Blends. Once beeswax is on a unit, it's ready to be assembled. All prepping of the interior of the unit is completely done. Normally at this point, I still have some switch box and coil compartment modifications to make, but I did it all pre-assembly for a quicker final assembly.

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Glad you are digging the new sander my friend ! Makes all previous units even more special knowing you were doing so much sanding by hand . Which is still by hand , just quicker ! ;)

P.A.M.,
Reactions: SpudBob

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
The belt sander is quicker, which means I can spend more time getting it just so, but there was another improvement realized today. I tend think like a furniture maker, LARGE. Certain things are not possible because of size restrictions, for instance: I can't put my wax buffer on my drill press and pass a piece of furniture under it. I have to use a hand drill, and manually move the buffer over the entire piece. I was buffing by hand and getting better results. But now I can hook the four inch buffer up to my drill press and just buff away, really controlling pressure. The wax hardens nicely, leaving a luscious, deep shine. Here's a pic of the group. I also posted one close up so you can see the grain a little better.

As a matter of fact, the belt sander is so much faster, my hand sanding took less than half the time, resulting in me getting beeswax on 30 units. I also set myself up in my wood shop, with much more room, to apply beeswax to 30 units. I had my heat gun dangling from the ceiling, just over the bench. Half way through, and a few burnt fingertips, I realized I could wear an oven mitt on my left hand. Worked like a charm. No more burns, and faster.

2uhs1t2.jpg

20qgkqw.jpg

One last buff after final assembly...

Last edited:

Vapster707

On the computer all morning trying to figure out how best to allow you to put together the layers of your very unique LB Blend. I broke it down to six items.
  1. Layer One (switch side)
  2. Layer Two (middle)
  3. Layer Three (battery side)
  4. Switch Box
  5. Back Plate
  6. Mouthpiece
For now that's how the first batch of blanks will pan out. I just edited the website to allow you to pick from the five woods for all of the above options (no zebrawood stems).
  1. Maple
  2. Cherry
  3. Walnut
  4. Purple Heart
  5. Zebrawood
That's a lot of choices, but if I standardize to a certain extent, I can mix and match without issue. Check it out and let me know what you think. It will improve. https://vapwood.com/shop-lil-bud

The current units I'm in the process of building, will sell as is. Once built, I'll parade them around, as they are some sweet looking LB's. They will wind up being very unique units that will probably never be duplicated exactly like that.

I'm very happy to have allowed this creativity to happen without so much as a blip in production. As a matter of fact, this opens up lots of opportunities to ensure unique stock for the Elite and Timber for a long time to come. With all the ideas coming down the pike simultaneously, the early road can be a bit rough, a test of patience, but things are happening rapidly - I know you all can see that. We deliver, maybe not as fast as Amazon, but delivered all the same. For those holding out for the Elite, Timber, and Timber Elite, it'll be worth the wait when it all comes together.

Yea seems like I've been waiting yrs for tha timber to start production ...reading all tha great things about tha lil bud is sweet makes me feel that tha timber will be just as great ....when time comes I hope to talk to you and Alan about some real customized size stems and stems holes and hopefully that gorgeous purple heart will be available...

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Yea seems like I've been waiting yrs for tha timber to start production ...reading all tha great things about tha lil bud is sweet makes me feel that tha timber will be just as great ....when time comes I hope to talk to you and Alan about some real customized size stems and stems holes and hopefully that gorgeous purple heart will be available...
Yea , and I have a feeling the Timber Elite will be pretty sweet too :brow:

Them Blends and company Mike just posted though
:mmmm::mmmm::mmmm::mmmm::mmmm:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good morning FC,

Glad you like the Uniques I've posted. The Uniques can be anything else (Classic Unique, Blended Unique, Elite Unique, eventually Timber Unique), but they won't be one wood that you can just order online (all walnut, all cherry, all ph, etc). Uniques do not have a fixed price, instead they sell for whatever price I post them at. It's an easy way for me to generate cash flow when I've got lots of materials to order, tools to buy, or a big project on the horizon - kinda like right now.

So the *Best Tool Ever*, my new belt sander will get even better with a 220 grit belt (vs 120). This should eliminate even more hand sanding, and allow more control on the machine. I've got some 320 on order as well. Home Depot only stocks up to 120 grit. It also has a disc sander, but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet, but I'm sure I will.

With my 30 units all pre-assembled, there is only one thing left to do, assemble batch 8. The new switch has also stopped me from fielding broken units. There still will be some from previous batches, but eventually it will be a thing of the past. Good news for customers waiting for new orders. So batch 8 is now going to be 8A and 8B, both slated to ship in September - maybe together, maybe separately, depending on sales. 8B will only be from inventory of pre-built bodies.

----------------------------------
EDIT
Mid morning shop update:
I back tracked, and for very good reason. I discovered my disc sanding option on my combo belt / disc sander. Disc sander comes with a little table and miter gauge to keep things square. Holy shit is this thing good on end grain (top and bottom of LB). Even though I already applied beeswax, I still squared up my end grain on every unit with this neat little machine.

So the combo sander is perfect, belt for face and edge grain, disc for end grain. I need to re-finish each unit as well, but a quick blast of heat with a drop of beeswax will bring them right back. I kinda do that anyway after full assembly. There are a couple of *transition buds* in the mix. These are older, 3 vent hole, bodies, that I'm going to sell off cheaper. They are perfectly functional units, and I'll probably list them as Uniques with a unique price on each one. That's probably where all the *cosmetically flawed* units will wind up as well. The biggest cosmetic issue was always the off center switch box because of the last minute adjustments fitting the switch box to the unit. That problem should be virtually eliminated now that I drill the switch hole after pre-assembly. The also helps to keep the basically hollow switch box, easier to mortise, without the hole already drilled. Gives the box more strength and integrity while I chisel out the mortise.
-----------------------------------------
another discovery
The magnets are glued in place using the tiniest amount of Gorilla glue. The hole is 1/4 by 1/8 deep, and I dab a drop in the hole. These magnets are specifically polarized, so the orientation needs to be correct. I usually have a few sitting on a current unit to orientate. Pretty much every LB is the same, I don't know which side is + or -, but always the same on the unit, and opposite on the plate. I scratch up the back of the magnets on some sandpaper to help glue adhere, then I wipe off on a damp rag before inserting into the hole that's already got the drop of glue. Don't get any on your hands, not as bad as krazy glue, as it comes off, but leaves a black stain if you handle too much of it. Then I shim and clamp in place.

Glue expands when the dampness hits it (wipe magnet on damp rag is enough moisture), so it's important to not use too much glue, as it will flow out a bit. It's kinda easy to scrape, sand, file off, but I do not want to do that on every unit (four magnets). I try use just the right amount of glue. This time around, I got a pretty bad overflow on a few units. I had to spend too much time cleaning that up. So when it came to the plate, I used less, and unfortunately many bonds failed. No big deal, I just scraped the hole out a bit, and did it again with a drop more glue.

If you get a magnet that falls out, make sure you put it in the right way, scrape it with some sand paper (one side is already scratched up), wipe with a damp rag, immediately place in the pre glued hole. Use enough glue to thinly coat the bottom of the hole, no more. Clamp in place, overnight best. Unclamping too soon is another reason for failure. If you have a magnet that fails, and you lose it, I can send you a couple, but you shouldn't lose them. They should stick to the partner magnet.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I've learned something, or should I say, reinforced something I know about myself. If I have something that is better, I have to give it to you, even if I lose a day's work in the process. This is the exact reason customers need patience when it comes to buying from a *one-man-show*.

Yesterday, I got my delivery of 220 grit sanding belt, and today I got comfortable with my disc sander. I had to use these tools on my already beeswaxed units, even though I was past that stage, because I knew each unit would bbenefit a little bit because of it. So it killed half a day, but the results will be forever. The units have been sanded down to 600 grit once again, and beeswax, coat 2 applied. I urge you to add a coat any time to bring back this super luster. I also power buffed each one again, and this time I feel like I'm handling miniature fine furniture. The shine is so deep, I really didn't think beeswax alone could ever provide such a luxurious finish, but it absolutely does. Later today, I'm going to photo log each one. The better sanding process, combined with the buffer, have brought out beeswaxes' potential. For a single unit, buffing by hand will work just fine, just a bit more elbow grease.

GALLERY OF UNIQUES
Working on a photo journal of my Uniques, and I'll post as a gallery on the website with a link here.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good Morning!

Got lots done yesterday, my Blends are coming in hot. I posted some of the units in a photo gallery with reference numbers. If you're interested in a any of those units, they get you into batch 8, and all will sell between $179 and $199 bare bones.

WHAT'S NEW ON THE WEBSITE
My pre built *Unique* units have their own web page, complete with photo gallery and reference numbers. If you're interested, take a peek. You can use the reference number to let me know what Lil' Beauty catches your eye. They are all in pre-assembly.

>> UNIQUE PHOTO GALLERY

The $50 down payment option on the website, somehow got unlisted, but now it's back. I also dropped the starting price of the Blend a bit, but it will now cost you $10 to add a PH stripe, switch box, or back plate. All other woods are included in the starting price.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I always take one. This time around, I'm testing the gold switch (different manufacture, same seller - we'll see), as well as the entire Blend concept.

Here it is, the first working Lil' Bud Blend - he's also the first batch 8 unit and the first pentagon, incorporating 5 species of wood into the overall design.
  • Layer One: Cherry
  • Layer Two: Walnut
  • Layer Three: Quilted Maple
  • Switch Box: White Maple / Purple Heart
  • Back Plate: White Maple
  • Mouthpiece: Purple Heart
Other updates
  • Angled vent holes - worked out really well, seems to be hitting hard and smooth
  • Fuller foil coverage - Extended the foil to almost wrap completely around, except for about 2 mm where rear post sits.
  • Sanded flat, smooth and square on a power belt sander, and disc sander (work saver)
  • Buffed up with a 4 inch buffing wheel attached to drill press (mini-furniture)
  • Stock power planed to width and thickness at the outset (game changer)
  • Better planning for switch box wiring (hard to explain this one, but it's a real improvement)
  • Coil / wire connection improved (probably the most important one, even better coil function)
rs=w:700,cg:true

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Update on the gold switch, it's gone. Felt a little mushy compared to *the switch*, and I had a feeling this LB could perform a little better. My first official LB 2.1 Blend.
2psrnz4.jpg

Already changed it. Noticeable improvement. No heat, no real problem, I just felt it could be better, and yes, this switch delivers. It's amazing that you have to sift through all the crap to finally get to a good product. I invested quite a bit in switches I'll never use. These switches I'm using are made for a company called E-Switch. I'm getting them from Alpine Tech (on eBay). Great find, even for lots of Elite stuff I'll need.

Speaking of the Elite. I have about 10 units that are sold (8A) that I'm building now, there is also a couple of repairs in the mix from the old switch. I'm so done with switch repairs! I got 3 units built today, and my switch replacement. Tomorrow I'm going for 5. I should have everything ready to go this week for 8A plus 2 repairs. I will then leisurely form about 20 coils, and set about assembling the remaining Uniques (Classics / Blends) while I work on the Elite. The pre-built Uniques should keep us going while take time to get the Elite out there. I can't really predict how long that will take, because I can't predict the challenges I'll face. Pricing is another gray area right now, as I have no idea how much extra time it'll take to build. I do know that materials will go up about $100 (board, chip, buttons, plate. You can see where the pre-sale at $299 is a pretty good price.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@P.A.M. That is one worn out home plate. That's gonna be your LB in 20 years.

More thoughts on the switch change. So here I am, testing a switch. Haven't had to do that since the *mother of all switches* was found. First bowl, new stem is good, but I'm thinking to myself, *well, it's the first stem with a new screen, maybe it needs to get broken in before it's perfect*. I swap batteries, reload. Pretty good. But *pretty good* isn't good enough when this is an LB 2.1. I don't want to have to think, I don't want to try and figure out how to make this better? is the battery weak? is the weed dry? I want to load and hit - like I'm doing right now with my swapped out switch. That should be every vapist's experience, every time.

Currently, all switches from other manufactures are out. There are a few choices from this manufacturer - silver flat, silver raised, silver dome (our choice), as well as black raised, but for now that's it. My seller should be fully stocked in a week or so, and I plan on stocking up myself.

I spent all morning cleaning up the website. Fixing discrepancies, adjusting pricing. That sometimes becomes a big part of the job, the presentation.

But on a more technical note. I've been thinking about a few options going forward.
On the LB Elite space will be a valuable commodity, meaning a smaller coil compartment is necessary. As I'm installing coils, even with the foiled lining, into a 13/16" hole (20.5 mm), I realize I can easily return to a 20mm hole (size before lining) and still have clearance. My coils are more perpendicular and tightly wound, and about 14 mm in diameter. The foil is thin, about .05 mm, but eats up a bit more than that (maybe .2, so on both sides it's like a half a mm). 20 - 14 - .5 = 5.5/2 or 2.75 mm. With the groove carved for the rear post, it should be easy enough to pull off with a 20 mm hole. That will leave plenty of meat between the coil and the chip, which mounts on top. I may find a way to add another layer of ss foil to reflect the heat back through along the whole front face of LB. When we get to the Timber, the issue won't be there, because the chip will be below the coil. Almost makes it tempting to do a Timber Elite first. The Timber design is basic, utilizing many of the set ups already in place for Lil' Bud. I might make a lot more sense to simply design the Timber Elite from scratch and not have to deal with space issues, as the form lends itself to chip installation.

The other thing I've been tossing around is 20700 batteries. Battery life on LB is really good. I've got some old batteries I've used 100 times each, and get 5 or 6 sessions above 3.75. What would the 20700 do for us? Could we get 10 sessions? I got the smaller magnets that buy us 1/8 of an inch for the battery compartment without changing height. The width is just a matter of more narrow side walls. I forgot the exact specs but another 3/32 or so in width. I think we can swing that without making LB any wider. Not really sure I wanna go here, but I really can't think of any reason not to.

Lots of people are waiting on Elites, or just wanna see what the Elite is about. The Elite will be awesome no doubt. I'd appreciate feedback on the Timber Elite over the Lil' Bud Elite idea, as well as the 20700 battery. Personally, I think I'll always enjoy self regulation as part of my daily routine, but we all love to play, only it will come with a price tag.

I'm extremely excited about getting batch 8 out, and going to work on build inventory. Future looks bright.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
To be honest I had my heart set on a Lil Bud Elite when I signed up to the pre order, not an Elite timber.

I just prefer the form factor of the Lil Bud.

However I'll take what I can get as fundermantally what I'm after is a DNA controlled coiled mesh heater but the lil bud format seems more pocket friendly, even if it needs to be a little larger than the classic.

As for the 20700/21700 query; I still prefer the 18650's as they are more ubiquitous as well as easier/cheaper to source. However the device could cater for both and thus not be mutually exclusive as 18650's can be used with adapter sleeves.

duff

Well worn
I just prefer the form factor of the Lil Bud.
I do too.

Most of my interest is in something shorter than a 510 attachment with a nice chip.

But whatever gets your juices flowing will work for me!

Differentiating the Lil Bud and Timber models by no chip/chip does make some sense though.

The 18650s are everywhere although I am willing to get a few 20700s as it seems to adhere to the spirit of the elite in trying new things.

Top Bottom