Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Simple and sophisticated is quite an accurate description.

The improvements which occurred between batch 7 and 8 have been remarkable.

You wouldn't think changing the angle of a vent hole could make so much difference, but it creates just a right turbulence and resistance to help heat soak your product with no hot spots.

Same thing with the 2 inch piece of stainless steel foil that wraps the inside of the coil compartment. This addition was so simple, yet so effective at keeping the heat exactly where you want it - not in the wood body, but reflected back into the coil for greater efficiency and even more power.

I'm not sure what is up with switches that fail, but I think earlier switches aren't letting the full capacity of the 18650 to flow through. If the contacts are weak, resistance builds and eventually parts fail. But if the contacts are strong, full power flows, with no heat build up in the switch, and all that power is flowing into the coil. This wasn't such an easy change, as the inside of the switch box now has to be squared out (mortised) to fit the larger switch, instead of just drilling a hole.

The coil compartment groove has helped center the coil, and this practical repositioning of the coil directly under the load has improved performance dramatically, allowing a very even heating of the stem, reducing the need for stirring.

In addition, the coil itself has been wound a bit tighter, and this seems to radiate even more heat. Getting more soldier to flow into the coil connections (mesh to wire) has also made a noticeable difference in coil performance.

The power belt / disc sander has raised the bar aesthetically, and saved me lots of tedious hand sanding. The new buffer I've attached to my drill press has taken the beeswax finish to another level of sheen.

No one really has an LB in their hands with all of these changes except me. Once I ship batch 8A, I'm looking forward to hear what you have to say.

What's next?

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@TeeJay1952 If I could keep up with that, it would be a great idea, but I can barely keep up now. Something for the future, when I hire my helpers, and I can teach someone to assemble.

Today, prepping for forming coils, I decided to take a break and get a few close ups of 8a. All of these units are sold, with only a quick buff necessary before packing up.
hs9p1w.jpg

282kubd.jpg

6okavs.jpg

Last edited:

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Trying to get a handle on where I spend my time. I've logged 4 hours in the shop, 3 on coil making. I cut and tinned 20 wires, attached to wire mesh with butt splice connectors. What's left is soldering and forming the coil. Soldering should take about 4 minutes per connection (20 x 4 = 80), but let's call in 90 minutes (gonna time it next). Forming the coils is more of a variable from day to day, coil to coil. I guess I average about 5 an hour, so 2 hours should cover it. So to round off, 4 more hours, for a total of 7 hours for 10 coils, averaging 42 minutes per coil. That's a bit long for my dollar an hour goal, but we are working on it. I'd like to get this down to 5 or 6 hours, or roughly 2 coils an hour - from start to finish.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
That's what I'm shooting for, virtually nonexistent. With end grain to end grain, there will always be something visible, also with a screwed joint it's hard to hide completely. Notice the seems in the Blend are not virtually nonexistent, but actually nonexistent.

So good news on finishing up the coils. The solder job which I allotted 90 minutes, took about 35, my soldering skills have improved quite a bit (good thing with the Elite coming). I forgot about building the discs, another 30 minutes for 10. I actually formed 2 coils, first one fell into place very easily, took about under ten minutes, the second one I didn't get it right the first time, and I wound up fussing with it for a total of 20 minutes. So 2 in a half hour. After the bit of frustration on coil 2, I realized I was done for the day. Coil forming is usually a morning job.

Tomorrow I'll bang out 8 more and time it once again. Looks like as of right now, I've invested about 4 hours, with more 8 coils to form (4 an hour), so a total of 6 hours. Not bad, 10 coils in 6 hours. I like that, especially the way the coils are turning out in that time frame. Looks like tomorrow and Tuesday will be assembly days as well. Might get a few more 8a's assembled tomorrow, if coil forming goes well.

For me quitting time is usually somewhere near 5. I actually wind up quitting a bit before or sometimes a bit after. But I'm a total morning guy, and could probably head into the shop at 6 AM every morning, except I know that is just not good for me. My wife already thinks I'm obsessed, she might be right.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention switches have been ordered, so I'm fat with switches for the time being. Thanks for coming through FC!

Last edited:

TeeJay1952

Ford doesn't usually use their customers as beta testers though ;)

All large manufacturers operate on a cost benefit basis. If they find there is a problem the analyze recall vs warranty. In that respect we are all always beta testers. Ford Pinto anyone? The Edsel?:rockon::myday:

I fixed computers for folks in my spare time. Many folks thought a repair entitled them to lifetime support for any compter problem thereafter.
I have gone through 1 wife, 3 jobs, countless cars, tvs,dogs, best friends, and bathroom remodels so I know nothing lasts forever and if you like it you will buy a new one that is better than the last.

SpudBob

@TeeJay1952 If I could keep up with that, it would be a great idea, but I can barely keep up now. Something for the future, when I hire my helpers, and I can teach someone to assemble.

Today, prepping for forming coils, I decided to take a break and get a few close ups of 8a. All of these units are sold, with only a quick buff necessary before packing up.
hs9p1w.jpg

282kubd.jpg

6okavs.jpg
So Mike, It looks like you are,now, doing just 2 intake holes. Does the new angle job make that possible?

SpudBob,
Reactions: P.A.M.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
So Mike, It looks like you are,now, doing just 2 intake holes. Does the new angle job make that possible?

What I wonder , Spud, is the feel of 2 holes versus 3. I tend to cover the front hole anyways but sometimes like to release it to finish the toke. In a sense , eliminating the front hole to me means less unnecessary fiddling around. Covering the front hole and one of the side holes does choke and stoke your heat pretty good. I image the same feeling is present in 2.2 . I beta it works nice

RushVaporTrails

Ok , so , maybe I vape too much ?? Special mention next vid will go to the person who can make sense of or finish my thought in this video below ! :freak: Warning : Cloud Show!! Foggy !

Click to play YouTube Video​

Hey @P.A.M.

thanks for the mention on the youtube video, I was actually view #1 on actual youtube, which is kinda cool, never been first before on youtube, lol...

One button (bourbon)
One stem (scotch)
One battery (beer)

kinda sounds like a George Thorogood song.

So, I had to send my LB back to Mike to replace a hot button and I gotta tell ya, I really miss it. Been using other devices this past week. It was sorta cool to break out some of the vapes I haven't used in a while, but with the LB you realize why you haven't used them. The LB (classic) doesn't have a timer to run out and doesn't have to be heated by an outside source, i.e. torch lighter with a vapcap.

I miss sitting on my couch and just taking hits when I want without time running out or having to apply external heat. I also miss the inevitable rolling it around in my palm, which seems to be an addictive thing with the LB.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Happy Monday

Lots to think about this morning. Got a day of building ahead of me, and I need to focus on 8a. Forming coils, which I hope will be an automatic, is the order of the day. Up way early, so it looks like I'm getting an early start. Once all 10 coils are formed, I can get out 8A, knock off the few units in 8B and move on to inventory building, the Elite, and my little side project for Alan. Maybe it was good there was a slow down in sales after I announced the Elite, gave me a chance to catch up on things.

I really want to stage 8a, and take some nice pics before sending out. I'm usually so in a rush to ship, I don't get enough pics. I'm working with some pretty units this time around, and I can't let that happen.

frustrated rant
Coils skills are a bit off this morning, and I know why. My wife booked oil burner service today and I can't concentrate, and coil forming requires full concentration. I wasted 3 out of ten vs my normal one or two out of 20. The reason I scrap a bad start is it's just not worth the extra time and effort to rescue a misshapen coil. The materials aren't expensive, at up to that point the investment in time is minimal.

Right now, I'm waiting for the guy to show up, and I'm just frustrated as hell. The burner is also in my shop, so shuts me down coil forming. The wife can be quite the challenge when it comes to building LB's. It's as if she doesn't recognize that this is an actual job, like I'm playing around in the basement all day with my vapes. So, support at home is not really there. She'd rather have me working five days a week teaching fire safety, instead of two or three. Notice LB is named after Reddy, not the wife.

EDIT: So the guy showed up like noon, was here for like 2 hours. I got more done while he was here, than while waiting for him to come. I had to retreat to the wood shop, but that worked out since I realized I was one PH short for batch 8. Can't just build one, so I banged out six bodies, 1 purple heart, 2 cherry, 2 walnut, joining my inventory. These are gonna be very pretty units.

That leaves a stunning PH with a half maple switch box unclaimed, and it is now one of my Uniq's posted for sale at $179 (normally $219). If interested, PM me or use the paypal button on the website on the members only Uniq page.

I'll repeat this offer in a new post so everyone sees it. This unit has been full assembly and will be in batch 8.
hwmniu.jpg

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Happy Monday
I'll repeat this offer in a new post so everyone sees it. This unit has been full assembly and will be in batch 8.
hwmniu.jpg

Correction on the PH unit, not assembled yet, but could be for 8b. $179 barebones, that's $40 below list price for a barebones PH, and as of right now, PH stock is out, except for blended options, and I'm not sure if I'm stocking any more full sized PH, unless there is a call for it. It's expensive in the sizes it takes to build LB.

Wound up being a semi productive day for how it started. Six more units have entered inventory status, while I continue to work on 8a assembly, with a repair or two. 8b is slowly filling up. It's a micro batch, much like 8a (10), and not full. Probably for the first time in the 10 months LB has been for sale, I can say I have inventory on every stock unit that are available to be in the next batch (8b).

IN STOCK (PRE - ASSEMBLY) CLASSICS
available for batch 8b
Cherry
Walnut
Purple Heart
Quilted Maple

also available for 8b
There are also quite a few Uniqs for sale that are not Blends. I have a couple of Beaded Walnut, as well as Walnut / Maple. As well as blended switch boxes. All of those can be found in the Uniq Gallery with prices posted.

That should clean up all the loose ends and really allow me to focus on the Elite.

Sipping on a brand new walnut stem. I like to back up a new screen with a little hemp fiber to create some resistance, makes it a bit easier to hover the heat in the weed, until the screen clogs up a bit. The first session without the fiber is too airy for me. After a few loads, I can lose the hemp. I love this time of day...

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good Morning FC,

I'm trying to give faces and names to my LB Blends.

Featured Blends
You select switch box and back plate to complete the design

The Roadster

This unit was the inspiration for the basic design of 3 layers with a middle racing stripe. The Roadster features blond, or light walnut, with a bold deep purple heart stripe, with striking white maple back end.

The Yankee
Black walnut and white maple clash to really catch the eye in this well dressed beauty. The middle layer of dark walnut will be a tad narrower than the stripe on other units, giving the true pin stripe feel, when contrasted with white maple.

Grape Cherry
Those who love the warm glow of cherry wood, further infused with a deep purple heart middle stripe, will love our Grape Cherry Blend. The smooth feel of cherry in your hands, interrupted by the hard. straight purple grain is a winning combination.

The Oreo Cookie
Too easy to not include a simple, yet elegant black walnut, white maple, black walnut combination. The gnarly walnut grain split in half with a stripe of clear white maple has a stunning effect.

Black and Tan
Cool and aloof, Black and Tan is the kind of vape you can stare at for years to come. It's neutral colors of cherry, walnut, cherry are simply elegant.

These units are not yet built, and will be available for batch 9 (along with the Elite). To sweeten the pot, I'm going to extend the coupon code for these units: BLENDIN saves you 10% off the entire order.

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
@Bravesst you're making my vapor parts drool. Love the blends, and great names too.

I've not touched another vape in several days as I've tried every single stem I have that fits the LB. And they all work; short, medium, long, wood, glass, all work.

Wood is my favorite to look at and hold, glass is my favorite for mouth feel and vapor production, both are equal on taste-though the taste of each is different. Ultimately I like the medium to long stems the best except when I want the blast of flavor and intense vapor the short ones provide. So yeah-they're all great.

This has me really excited about getting the glass-lined 3.5" stems on order from Alan sometime next week or so. I think they will provide exactly what I want from the LB in terms of form and function.

And Mike-that Cherry body has darkened up and gotten so much character in less than 30 days-it's hard to believe-the dark grain is really starting to pop. Just one more reason I love wood so much.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@Bravesst you're making my vapor parts drool. Love the blends, and great names too.

I've not touched another vape in several days as I've tried every single stem I have that fits the LB. And they all work; short, medium, long, wood, glass, all work.

Wood is my favorite to look at and hold, glass is my favorite for mouth feel and vapor production, both are equal on taste-though the taste of each is different. Ultimately I like the medium to long stems the best except when I want the blast of flavor and intense vapor the short ones provide. So yeah-they're all great.

This has me really excited about getting the glass-lined 3.5" stems on order from Alan sometime next week or so. I think they will provide exactly what I want from the LB in terms of form and function.

And Mike-that Cherry body has darkened up and gotten so much character in less than 30 days-it's hard to believe-the dark grain is really starting to pop. Just one more reason I love wood so much.
That's the thing about Cherry, get's better with age...

I like the catchy names too. I'm going to eventually build all six of those units and take some nice pics, even if they don't sell right away. Once I can get them assembled, and show pics, I think they'll be pretty popular. I've been patiently waiting for the 30 inch turning squares to arrive to build my Blends. Since they can take up to ten days sometimes, I wasn't concerned, but I checked woodworkers source website, and my order didn't go through - my error. I had to reorder my Purple Heart, Maple, Walnut, Cherry squares for another batch of Blends in the designs described in my previous post: Grape Cherry / Purple Syrup / Yankee / Roadster / Black & Tan / Oreo Cookie. My cherry and walnut Classics I either purchase locally, or find really cool pieces on eBay.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Prepped for 10 more coils today. I'm testing a theory about getting rusty at coil forming, versus getting into a groove. I would have formed the coils today, but I want to keep up on assemblies.

My variety of stock to make most of the Blends won't be here for a week to ten days, so I decided to play a little. I assembled a couple of Black & Tans Blends blanks (Cherry / Walnut / Cherry). Going to go with a cherry switch box, walnut back plate, should look real good with a walnut or cherry mouthpiece. I did the glue up for two units this afternoon. This will be the first LB Racing Stripe Edition (30 20 8). Well, intentionally anyway. I have a feeling that this will be the kind of unit that just keeps getting better to look at.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good morning,
I've decided to combine the Blend and Uniq pages, as there is quite a bit of overlap. The Uniqs can be anything, from one-of-a-kind Blends, to a beaded edge, to a multi layered switch box, but Blends will be one of the six models I've listed (the ones with really cool names). I'll add Blend ideas as I go, but we'll launch with these six templates.

Today will be a little of everything day. I like when I can break things up and work on a few things at once, instead of the same thing all day - coil forming, some assemblies, and some woodwork on my latest B&T Blend, Walnut, Cherry, PH Classics.

Even tougher than forming the coil, is mounting it to the 1 inch wood disc. I am about to go down to the shop and try and come up with a new coil mounting strategy, wish me luck.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

2.2 must be kissing perfection if I can achieve this with 2.0 ! :rockon:

Oh , I should mention , I've been using imgbb.com for pics lately , faster/easier then tinypic, to me anyways! I challenge everyone to post a pic of their LB or other vape(s) using imgbb to check it out ! If not , well, Vape On! :tup:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
NEW BLEND SALE PRICE: $209 - you choose Switch Box and Back Plate
Featuring the Black n Tan

20180919_173107.jpg

The State of Vapwood: 10 Months
Most businesses don't really make a profit for the first year or two, and Vapwood is really no different. There was an investment in tools, stock, and lots and lots of time. It took about 5K to convert my shop to accommodate vape building, and that is after the 15K I'd already spent on tools over the previous couple of years.

We had some issues to iron out, and without the resources of a big company, I simply discounted prices early on, on my less evolved units. No real prototypes, as I didn't have the luxury and resources to supply free units to beta testers. So I sold cheap, replaced for free.

We had issues, namely an inadequate switch. The switch search has represented the single biggest loss of revenue. I have over 500 switches I'll never use. Ouch. And that's the least of it. The labor that went into replacing those switches was a bit overwhelming. I still have a few floating in, but that issue is solved, and there will be no more funds wasted on bad switches. I've also got my hands on solid 12 mm switches that will replace any future bad 12 mm switches, so no more replacing an entire unit for the switch.

We've developed 3 lines, and a fourth AND fifth is not far off. The Classic, Blend, Uniq, Elite, and finally Timber. All different in their own way, but all sharing the same instant coil heat technology combined with the timeless, handcrafted beauty of hardwood. The cosmetic improvements are a simply matter of practice, better machinery, and more ingenious processes that have allowed LB to take on the look you see today. The technology behind the Elite, combined with what LB has to offer, should open up Vapwood to those who shy away from manual devices.

We are ready now to move into the holiday season with our ducks in a row. I am building a small inventory to allow me to focus on the Elite while continuing to sell Classics, Blends, and Uniqs. My designs, parts, skills, and end results are on the money and still moving forward at a pretty rapid rate. The future looks bright and we are looking forward to 2019.

Top Bottom