Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
The other thing I'm flirting with is angling the vent holes. Too much was going on early on, but I've had this idea in the back of my head since the beginning. Not sold on it yet. I have to build a unit and test it out, before I commit to it. Performance is too good right now to make ANY changes without testing first.

I think angling the vent holes would look great aesthetically. It would give LB an added finesse look making vent holes less apparent. Will be cool if it pan's out!

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
It is Labor Day Weekend, and we all know what that means sales. Lots of projects coming up that need to be financed, and suddenly I have some inventory.

I'll be finalizing batch 8 units this week, and actually starting on the Elite. I won't be building any more classics, or very few, until batch 10. The stock I've built for batch 9 will be limited to the below choices, and the only way to get into batch 9. Sale prices are for this weekend only (Saturday, Sunday, Monday), and available just to FC members, directly through me. Please simply PM for my PayPal email address.

Labor Day Sale Pricing for Batch 9
All prices listed are Bare Bones
Beaded Edged Walnut - 5 $189 save $20
Walnut / Maple (sb) - 1 $189 save $20
Blended Walnut / Cherry / Purple Heart / Maple - 5 $199 save $20
Walnut / Blended (sb) - 2 $189 save $20
Cherry / Blended (sb) - 4 $169 save $20
Purple Heart / Walnut (sb) - 1 $219 save $20
Quilted Maple - 2 $199 save $20
Purple Heart / Blended (sb)- 1 $219 save $20
Purple Heart - 1 $199 save $20
Cherry - 4 $169 (doesn't get lower than that).

These are the only units that will be available for batch 9, along with LB Elites. I am trying to brace myself for the demand of the LB Elite, and why I've got ahead of myself a bit. While no longer taking down payments on the Elite, the pre order has been re-opened. There is one Elite spot left for the first batch of 10.

Angled Vent Hole(s)
Okay, angled vent holes are going to happen if I can do it quickly, neatly, and it adds to performance. It definitely looks very cool. Once I build the right jig, it should be simple operation. I am considering a new drill press, where angling the table will be easier.

Call for the Elite
The call is loud! Alan is using a new mod with his iH that has the chip and he is blown away. We both expect this to open up LB way beyond the on demand convection crowd who know how to self regulate. As much as I can drive my Classic to hell and back on my own, I'm curious to what the DNA chip can do, and so are a lot of people. I think I've successfully carved out enough time to dive into the Elite project and get it going. Once it's underway, I may have to make a decision on where to spend more time, building many Classics and Blends, or few Elites. Due to all the extra work involved, production will slow down considerably, putting fewer LB's in peoples hands, so I will need to find a balance and most likely have two separate lists. In other words, it might not be uncommon to have longer waiting times for the Elite than Classic or Blend.

I need to continue to crank out Classic and Blends for two reasons, one to meet demand, and two, to fund the continued production of Elites, Classics, and Blends.

New Switch Update
Happy to report, my switch supplier has an ETA of mid September for basically an unlimited supply of our chosen switch. I have enough in stock to finish off batch 8, no problem. In the meantime, I experimented with some of his other stock, from the same manufacturer. While not the silver flush dome top, I've picked up some cool *novelty* switches. Some are flush flat, others raised like our original switch, only 16mm, and a few domed. The color choices are gold, blue, black, and a few silver non domed. I plan on building some units with these, but right now I've got quite a few in stock as a specialty request. They are the same price, just very limited stock.

Blue Flat
Blue Domed
Gold Domed
Gold Raised
Black Raised
Black Flat

This is a limited supply. If it works out, I'll add it as a paid option on the website, and keep a running stock. As much as I hate to deviate from our perfect switch, at this point it's a pretty easy fix to swap out the exact same sized switch. Right now, if I don't have the selection, you get a generic domed silver switch.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Reporting back on the new acrylic safety tab. I got lucky with the perfect mil. Stiff enough to hold its shape, but still fit easily between the battery and terminal. It's a little over an inch long, creased in half (crease holds) at 90 degrees. This allows it to be kept permanently in the battery compartment, and what's great about it, is it's easy to insert / remove - so people will use it. I used it all day.

In my down time today, I was reading up on the DNA75C. I was checking out the data sheets, and really happy with the dimensions as it relates to LB and Timber dimensions. I plan on facing some challenges with both the wood body adaptations, as well as the circuitry. My joinery skills will be tested for sure, but I do have the right background for this. I've also got lots of great advice close by for all my circuitry issues. There will be some growing pains, but I see this as a marriage of sorts, between traditional woodworking and modern technology, utilizing quality materials, innovative ideas, and old fashioned hard work.

For you guys who haven't had a chance to try a recent version of LB, I want to introduce you to my DD, a beaded walnut unit. It's got almost every upgrade. There was at least 2 more minor things I did better on batch 7D(yes, there was a 7D, as it tooks 4 trips to the PO). I think the only thing it doesn't have is the flowing of extra solder into the butt splices. The discovery to just about double the amount of solder I could get to flow was only on the last six units shipped. So this is not even including that upgrade. I'll tell you what I notice.

I cannot have a bad session. Fuck, if I get lazy sometimes and don't dry or crumble adequately, used to be an issue. Now I can take a hit or two, quick mini stir to get rid of air gaps, and bam, back in FULL business. I've been accidentally grinding my batteries down to 3.5 because I'm still getting vapor on bowl 7. The efficiency is pretty far out, but I admit to swapping out more frequently in the 3.7's, because the extra power is noticeable. At lower levels, you gotta sit on the switch for a few seconds.

Speaking of sititng on the switch. I've tested, owned lots of units. I drive LB hard sometimes, my early switches freaked me out. I was always testing to check for heat. Replaced a few of my own, as well as many replacements / repairs for others. Then the new swtich had an issue or two, but when I found the current switch, there is no such thing as a hot or stuck switch. All the juice is handled swimmingly and delivered to the coil, with an amazing of amount of control. That's the other thing I haven't done since the new switch, combust.

Maybe it's the foil adding to the experience as well. Think about it, the battery and coil don't have to work as hard because the heat is reflected back into the coil and the wood body stays cool. This is making the Elite possible, as it will keep the board cool, which is absolutely necessary. I actually suspect that both the coil and foil are making it possible to vape at much lower temps, for a more well-rounded, complete extraction. That may explain the variety in ABV color for different users. Some of us like to go through the whole spectrum of vapor extraction, saving the high temps for the very end. The LB configuration allows the user to do this in a self-regulated format.

sickmanfraud

That's the other thing I haven't done since the new switch, combust.

How do get the taste/smell out of a wood stem? I had a couple of combustion accidents with other vapes and they all required an iso soak (stems and screens)to get rid of a 2-second misadventure.

TBH I am VERY sensitive to second-hand smoke and hate any exposure to tobacco or combustion.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good Morning FC members!

Look what finally came out of the box!
8wxkj4.jpg

@sickmanfraud Sorry for your sensitivity. Other than mechanically cleaning with a small pocket knife to scrape out the built up resins, and installing a new screen, I have no easy method. For me, the cannabis resin overwhelms any combustion remnants, but of course you cannot go near wood with alcohol. But like I said, combustion isn't easy, unless you're trying to combust. The real protection is to stop pulling at the first sign of any large vapor production beginning to happen.

There is no combustion possible on the Classic unless you don't stop pulling the heat into the load at the appropriate moment. The window to trail off is rather large. Maybe that's the point I've been trying to make. The window between a good hit and combustion seems to have opened up a bit. The hot air mass that surrounds the coil when the button is depressed is a relatively large amount of very even heat. The control isn't so much in the button depression as how much heat you pull into the flower while you press the button. The switch is on or off, breath is infinitely adjustable.

Got some Labor Day stuff going on today, but I'll still get all sorts of shop time. Bringing batch 8 to fruition, but also working on every LB that I listed for sale yesterday, to get myself a little ahead. My mind is jumping forward to many cool projects and cosmetic improvements, as well as hard core performance enhancements that will be introduced with the Timber, Elite, and Blend.

Last edited:

elykpeace

exVASted
@Bravesst @sickmanfraud

Doesn't alcohol mess up finish? It doesn't affect the integrity of the wood at all? I know I contacted @Alan about a glass linned roasting tube to get a nice deep clean and keep the wood mint but other then that id try cleaning with alcohol. Only the stem tho.. then rinse and apply some sort of conditioner to refinish the wood on the outside.

But that's just me...

SpudBob

@Bravesst @sickmanfraud

Doesn't alcohol mess up finish? It doesn't affect the integrity of the wood at all? I know I contacted @Alan about a glass linned roasting tube to get a nice deep clean and keep the wood mint but other then that id try cleaning with alcohol. Only the stem tho.. then rinse and apply some sort of conditioner to refinish the wood on the outside.

But that's just me...
The exterior is, just , Bees Wax!

HerbieVonVapster

Good Morning FC members!

Look what finally came out of the box!
8wxkj4.jpg

Looking good is that a faceplate you made already or premade for a dna75c? Either way it looks good.

For cleaning my tubes I use this nylon brush with couple drop of iso on it. Does good job of cleaning the inside of the tubes. The outside stays clean except where my lips make contact. For that area I use a damp paper towel.
103ftyx.jpg

SpudBob

Ethanol is more safe on wood than alcohol because ethanol does not contain water
Really? I thought that Ethanol was comprised of part water. Aren't distilled spirits, which are Ethanol, that are 180 proof still 10% water? Maybe I'm missing something.

SpudBob,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I'm not really worried about a drop of water or any moisture hurting the wood, as the heat will surely evaporate it outta there. I just don't want any remnants of alcohol left behind. I find a mechanical scrape is all I need, but I'm sure a drop of alcohol on a brush isn't soaking the wood.

ELITE
@HerbieVonVapster That pic is a pre made front plate, gonna be tough to beat that for the price, but we'll see what develops. That unit is designed to snap on with magnets, and I think I'm going to stick with that concept, allowing the user to change cover plates. I was thinking of making matching cover plates and back plates - all snap on.

The unit will have to get about a half inch wider to accommodate the board and cover plate, ensuring an adequate distance between the heater element and the board. On Timber, the board will be no where near the coil, making a Timber transition relatively easy - Timber Elite sounds really good.

I should have the parts on hand to build 2 units, once I get started, and determine the DNA75C is the right choice, I'll order more. They come in batches of 10. That's 12 units total, and right now I have 9 units accounted for, 2 for me for testing, that leaves one unit up for grabs - then we'll be working on the next batch of 10.

CLASSIC / BLEND
Lots of units being built. I have over thirty assemblies going on. I think a lot of members are waiting to see what the new units look like finished. I pre-assembled over 20 units yesterday, and the switch box fit was the best it's been on any batch (thanks planer). Once all fared up, and beeswax applied, I'll take a few pics. The blended switch boxes look very cool.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Sup y'all! Blossom , my cherry LB Classic , is being a solid performer. I have ignored Walleye since receiving it. The Classic 2.0 is just so responsive and consistent from hit to hit , it truly is a work horse . Easy to get under 3.70V and still get a couple nice sessions if giving the coil an extra second or two to warm up . Otherwise , on a fresh battery down to 3.70ish , it's immediate vapor at the press of the button !! So sweet !

Looking forward to seeing pics of the LB Blends, you are building amazing vapes, Mike! :tup:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Quiet Labor Day. I was out yesterday with family, but today, back in the shop.

I am working on 33 units, Classics and Blends. They are pretty much have all been brought to the pre-assembly stage. Today was all about magnets, wound up installing over 100. I also got vent holes done, and wound up angling them. Not a huge difference, but I it's another 2.1 keeper. I got a start on the pre-assembly faring. That's where you make everything fit, get rid of all the waste, extra stock, tool mars. Got several done. All the finish sanding still has to happen, as well as beeswax finish before final assembly.

Got these 6 sanded on the life saving Oscillating Drum Sander with a nice worn out 240 grit drum on the largest disk. Damn these are some close ups. Notice the blended seems are perfect, literally stronger bond than the actual wood. The switch box, which isn't a traditional joint, is screwed to the main body to allow easy disassembly.

On another note, my supplies have arrived, and I have quite a few coils to build. I'm going to ship batch 8 with the coils I already have, and these units will get assembled right after that, and be available to ship as soon as they are built. All below units are part of the Labor Day sale at $199 bare bones / plus $10 shipping.
zl3tec.jpg

Beaded Edged Walnut / Cherry
2802ttk.jpg

Cherry / Purple Heart / Maple / White Maple
244dzc6.jpg

Walnut / Cherry / Purple Heart / Maple / Cherry
This is a one-of-a-kind unit and has SOLD.
o53lhv.jpg

Cherry / White Maple / Purple Heart / White Maple
2804i7r.jpg

Walnut / White Maple / Purple Heart / Maple / Walnut / Walnut
qn9s7r.jpg

Last edited:

Slickwilly

Nice work Mike, there gonna stand out and make good conversation pieces for sure!:tup:

Angled vent holes look cool as well as the blended switch boxes.

Really like the 2nd on left and third down, the way walnut and maple grains runs in towards purple heart, very nice touch :cool:

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
These are essentially cosmetic prototypes. Not sure what'll *work* sometimes unless you build it, at least for me. @Slickwilly, you seem to have a good eye for wood. Once I get this and the next batch of Blends built, I think it will give people ideas about what looks best. I can custom build a one-of-a-kind unit, but will have to charge more for it. Yours is one of kind but by accident. I have lots of ideas on how to blend the five woods I have on the way. I think I need to sit down with a pencil and a sketch pad and really put together the best possibilities. I do like the narrow center stripe yours has, and that only came about to utilize some narrow stock. Good accident. I was thinking about the size / ratios of the stripes, as well as the orientation. Endless possibilities. One of a kind custom Blends are available on the website for $249, but the units I post here are normally $219 (Labor Day Sale $199). I will eventually post pre-built Blends and beaded edged units on the site as well.

Last edited:

Slickwilly

These are essentially cosmetic prototypes. Not sure what'll *work* sometimes unless you build it, at least for me. @Slickwilly, you seem to have a good eye for wood. Once I get this and the next batch of Blends built, I think it will give people ideas about what looks best. I can custom build a one-of-a-kind unit, but will have to charge more for it. Yours is one of kind but by accident. I have lots of ideas on how to blend the five woods I have on the way. I think I need to sit down with a pencil and a sketch pad and really put together the best possibilities. I do like the narrow center stripe yours has, and that only came about to utilize some narrow stock. Good accident. I was thinking about the size / ratios of the stripes, as well as the orientation. Endless possibilities.

Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Wood has taking me over in a good way, I have a lot more respect for it now thanks to you. :clap:

Hope that accident wasn't costly. If it was I'm sorry but that one of a kind LBB is priceless!:rockon:

The wood choice and configuration combos are endless. Making the LBB even more special for the customer wanting something different than the norm.

A LBB template might work good. Have to figure out how exactly all the wood will be sectioned on the LBB to start? Then have the customer fill in thier wood choices.
Much easier to make wood choices when you can get a better picture in your head.
Maybe attach template to website and customer could print out templates and color in different choices until they figure out what they like best.

I could draw up a template by hand but probably look like a 5 year old did it :lol:

Just a thought, and you know I get lots of those Mike :mental:

HerbieVonVapster

I'm not really worried about a drop of water or any moisture hurting the wood, as the heat will surely evaporate it outta there. I just don't want any remnants of alcohol left behind. I find a mechanical scrape is all I need, but I'm sure a drop of alcohol on a brush isn't soaking the wood.

Naw hasn't seemed to hurt the wood at all, by the time I get to cleaning mine the resin caked on really thick. Most of the removing being done by the bristles on brush larger than inside of tube. Tho drop or too just loosen resin a bit probably isn't even needed. Just more habit since soaking screens cleaning other vapes and the iso is out.

Really liking the blended. They all look good but have to say the one of a kind is my favorite. The thin inner dark strip of wood really adds a pop to the design. Congrats slickwilly!

Honestly there all one of a kind. My cherry kinda is a reverse natural blend. The one side looks walnut and other looks cherry. Really noticeable in sunlight and since she used on walks and camping love that effect.

What is recommend for a good wood care product? Don't have any scratch in the wood more scuff marks. Almost out of my good old zap polish. Boy just a little of that went a long ways lol. So wonder what others suggest?

I do have bees waxs and also consider badger balm. Since it just beeswax and little olive oil. Just not sure on the olive oil part? Don't mind buying something else just rather not spend money if items on hand will work as well.

Slickwilly

Thanks! I really like the thinner strip of ph and walnut also. Should look sweet on top and especially bottom with all 4 woods. :drool:

I like to use beeswax, not sure what the olive oil will do? I just heat up area with blowdryer then heat wax and apply to area. Heat area and rub in wax, do this until its covered, then let sit for hour or so then buff off with soft rag. I have waxed mine a few times each. Every time they look and feel better in hand also seems to make the grain stand out more. :buzz:

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good Morning Boys and Girls,

Yes, @Slickwilly 's racing stripe is very cool, and my first step towards standardization of the Blend Your Bud Process. We will have 5 hardwoods to choose from (all layers are the same price), and 3 layers in that format to get started. I've also added a 2 layer option (no stripe).

RACING STRIPE EDITION / template*
Layer one: 30mm x 58mm / SB 30mm x 40mm
Layer two: 10mm x 98mm
Layer three: 20mm x 98mm
Back Plate: 22mm x 98mm
*visual template coming soon / dimensions are estimates

Ahh... my OCD feels so much better now. The switch box (also 30mm) and back plate are also available with the same 5 hardwood options.

Maple
Cherry
Walnut
Purple Heart
Zebrawood

What this does is make the 10 or so units I've already blended 100 percent unique.

With all this talk about Blends and Elites, I need to remind myself of what LB really is - a self regulated vapor extraction machine - literally, driven by a state of the art heating system, combined with old world woodworking. I just loaded a new strain, and my beaded freight train is slamming me at 7 AM.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good Evening All...

I'm a bit bummed. After bragging about how awesome it was have my oscillating drum sander, it completely burned out on me. I took it apart, got it to work again somehow, then I guess the motor just burned out. I was about half way through the process. I just spent the last hour searching for a replacement - amazon, home depot, lowe's.

Also looking at the bench top combo belt / disc, which might actually work better for LB's square body and round edges, even though I'd gotten the hang of the oscillating drum. For me, it's about not removing too much material. The other thing I need to look at is what grit sandpaper is available. With the combo belt / disc sander, I can get up to 400 grit belts and discs, with the drum sander only 240 grit is available. That means more hand sanding. I think I'm gonna try the belt / disc combo if less sanding is probable. I'm sure I'll master this, and it'll be plus for LB in the long run.

Another move forward, possibly, for LB is smaller magnets. The sum of the force generated by my current magnet combination is approximately 2.8 + 1.7 for a total of 4.5 lbs. Both magnets are the same size, (1/4 x 1/8 inch) different strengths, works well. The new magnet combination is 3/16th x 1/8 for the lid and 3/16 x 3/16 for the body. I believe they are rated at 2.2 and 1.8 for a total of 4. I think this will work equally well, of course I'll have to test it out, but I can shave 1/8 inch of height off LB if this works out. Not that big a deal, but the extra 1/8 of an inch is not really serving any purpose. I feel the magnet combination will actually work out really well, but like everything else, we'll see. Always making small, positive changes, has a way of adding up over a long haul. This one is a no brainer, no extra work, no extra cost.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Worthy of mention , I don't remember last time I had to clean my screen ! The new LBC does a great job of fully extracting the herb not leaving any sticky rezin or abv dirt in the screen. Loving it !

Thinking of you @beyond6strings :wave: . I was in Geneva once , many moons ago , for a total of maybe 16 hours . Enough time to smoke a joint at the United Nations :lol: . Also smoked another by that lighthouse lol . Beautiful place , great people . Kind of felt like home while there . I'm sure you are enjoying , looking forward to hear of your adventures with LB while there !

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
I do hope the new magnets will still have the gun clip sound it makes when it snaps back together. I wouldn't clip it around an officer and I do slide it on if need be to be discreet

Funky template ! Trippy like @Slickwilly 's avatar pic! :cool: It does serve its purpose to avoid confusion on both customer and builder . Awesome !:tup:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Just a couple of little announcements. One, no more Zebrawood option on the Blend, I heard from a reliable source Zebrawood smells like zebra shit (thanks @Slickwilly @Alan). We are down to my 4 favorites - Cherry / Walnut / Maple / Purple Heart - 2 light, 2 dark.

Got my belt / disc sander. What was I thinking, huge work saver. Can't wait to my finer sandpaper arrives. It makes much quicker work of making LB's all pretty. Another epiphany while sanding, inspecting. I had another off center switch. Now it's not off center because I drilled it that way, but rather the joint was a little off, and it got sanded / planed more on one side than the other. Why am I drilling the switch hole before pre-assembly. The best time to drill the hole would be after pre-assembly and fitting / faring everything to size. Duh! Always learning how to do it a little better.

@P.A.M.
I had some weaker magnets and the sound lessened, I hated it. I love the loud click, no way I am sacrificing that.

EDIT: Really getting the hang of the belt sander, very cool for LB. This is gonna take us to another level cosmetically. After sanding up just about the whole batch, what's on my workbench right now are over 30 Lil' Buds, 20 unaccounted for. The only thing I don't have extra stock of is figured walnut, except in beaded units, and they are beauties.

Once I get these all built, I'll post each one, some will be quite unique and individually priced as pre-built units. This is a nice mixed batch of Blends, Beaded Edges, a couple of QM's, Cherry's, Purple Hearts. I literally can't wait to get these units built and put them out there. With each step they get prettier and prettier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom