Leviathan Pipes (inexpensive American Glass)

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
No idea why either. Soooo....Here's a video of my Custom Big Mona to Shower Head. I've had this beast since april:D. Added shower percolation for combustion. Like everyone who has a Mona out there I am definitely satisfied. The Inline has 7 slits and taste great with concentrates. Hope you guys enjoy the video.

fucking VAS just smacked me upside the head again..... have mercy.....

z9

I was browing my LHS (which I just learned is was acronym) today and was looking at a lovely M&M tech pipe. I was talking to one of the employees about disc percs since I'm in the market for a new piece. He tried to tell me that Lev calls the lattice perc a fritted disc, he went further to say that the lattice perc, honeycomb, and fritted disc were all basically thing, just a different takes on the same perc :doh:. So I shared some knowledge with the employees there and walked out shaking my head. I thought I knew of at least one local shop that knew their shit... apparently not.

The piece was hefty and gorgeous, they've acquired quite a few pieces from Leviathan Glass in the past months. Nice to see some more high quality American "non-name brand" glass at my local shops for a change.

SD_haze

I was browing my LHS (which I just learned is was acronym) today and was looking at a lovely M&M tech pipe. I was talking to one of the employees about disc percs since I'm in the market for a new piece. He tried to tell me that Lev calls the lattice perc a fritted disc, he went further to say that the lattice perc, honeycomb, and fritted disc were all basically thing, just a different takes on the same perc :doh:. So I shared some knowledge with the employees there and walked out shaking my head. I thought I knew of at least one local shop that knew their shit... apparently not.

The piece was hefty and gorgeous, they've acquired quite a few pieces from Leviathan Glass in the past months. Nice to see some more high quality American "non-name brand" glass around these parts.
What dumbies

Tell them there is an entire Wikipedia page titled "Fritted Glass" that explains how a fritted disk perk is much different than a honeycomb. Or even a lattice.

"Fritted glass is finely porous glass through which gas or liquid may pass. It is made by sintering together glass particles into a solid but porous body"
source: http://www.adamschittenden.com/Frit_info.html

z9

What dumbies

Tell them there is an entire Wikipedia page titled "Fritted Glass" that explains how a fritted disk perk is much different than a honeycomb. Or even a lattice.

"Fritted glass is finely porous glass through which gas or liquid may pass. It is made by sintering together glass particles into a solid but porous body"
source: http://www.adamschittenden.com/Frit_info.html

Yeah tell me about it, I explained how a frit is made in laments terms; I knew the basics of how its made which is what I shared, but now I know thanks for link SD! I wanted to ask the guy how a honeycomb and lattice were the same thing but I got so caught up on the fritted disc part that I forgot. One employee (who I know went ti highschool with) walked over and said that DG patented them but did know much besides that. Way off topic, weren't they used in other applications before DG patented them? Anyways, I really wanted to walk out of there with that piece. My stomach tightened up, but I made a great decision and walked the fuck out... did I mention that I made a good decision?

There's a good chance that I may purchase something from Lev in the near future.

SD_haze

Yeah tell me about it, I explained how a frit is made in laments terms; I knew the basics of how its made which is what I shared, but now I know thanks for link SD! I wanted to ask the guy how a honeycomb and lattice were the same thing but I got so caught up on the fritted disc part that I forgot. One employee (who I know went ti highschool with) walked over and said that DG patented them but did know much besides that. Way off topic, weren't they used in other applications before DG patented them? Anyways, I really wanted to walk out of there with that piece. My stomach tightened up, but I made a great decision and walked the fuck out... did I mention that I made a good decision?

There's a good chance that I may purchase something from Lev in the near future.
Hmm...sorry for the OffTopic Lev but,

I found a patent on making fritted glass.
It's from.....1965
http://www.google.com/patents/US3414394
Sorry Goldstein haha

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
There doesn't look to be anything wrong with the construction if it.

Stacking can be affected by many things, so that shouldn't be the only thing you look for.
Slightly staler water will stack really well,
I'd assume how clean a piece will affect its stacking a bit,
Draw speed will greatly affect stacking,
Rezblock/NACE greatly helps stacking.

Have a close look at the lattice, if it appears to be fine, with no blocked holes or anything, then I'd say the piece looks fine.

Try playing with your draw speed and water levels more.
If you want it to stack really high, don't be afraid to throw more water in there.

Some people seem to think there's a "right" and "wrong" water level, don't listen to them, whatever gives you the results you want is the right water level.

I usually use a bit more water in my lattice than I saw in your vids if that tidbit helps at all :2c:

shadyonedeath

As far as construction, I don't see it that way. It's not like its a tool that needs to be solidly built for heavy use; it's meant to have more purpose than that. I'm thinking I got stuck with a poorly built piece that's not performing well. That last Medium water level video I posted required strong draws to get those bubbles to climb, where as in other videos by members, it appears effortless.

I don't think anyone here would want to get stuck with a lesser functioning unit after all the word and praise about the lattice.

shadyonedeath,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
That's why I said to have a look at the lattice.

It's hard to see from side on, but everything about the piece looks fine to me visually.

If there's nothing defective with the lattice itself, then I can't see how it's a build quality issue.
That's no to say it can't be a build issue, but based on the leviathan pieces I own, and the look of your piece in the vid, it looks good to me.

The stacking looks a bit low, but there are so many user factors that can affect stacking.

A few of those draws looked VERY light, to the point where bubbles started for a second, then stopped because you either stopped drawing for a second, or put very low negative pressure in there.

Like that middle video, it looks like very light draw, followed by a short burst of very high draw at the end.

You want a moderate draw, slowly increase draw speed and you should see the stacking rise up.
You should start to see how your draw speed affects things.

A very hard, quick pull will not lead to good stacking, even on my fritters it causes the bubbles to pop.

Sometimes you just need to get a feel for the piece, I remember having a little but of trouble getting it to stack well when I first got it, but pretty soon I had it sorted.

EDIT:
The stacking in your last video looked ok, with a bit more water I'd guess it would've been stacking more like the example vid you posted.
:shrug:

Frederick McGuire,
Reactions: ogcook

xer0

I've noticed that once the lattice gets a little gunked up with resin it doesn't hit as effortlessly as it does when the lattice is perfectly clean. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Also when I say a little gunked up I mean a little. I can't see any actual resin buildup on the lattice but the way it hits you can tell it needs a cleaning.

way2

The piece looks fine to me. In that last vid rez block is most likely being used and makes a big difference in stacking. You can see the lattice firing all over in your first 2 vids so it seems to me you don't have a perc with blocked holes or something like that.

Like Frederick I use a little more water than your vids. Draw speed, water quality, and water levels all play a part. Play around with all of the above until you find something you like. I'd also recommend grabbing some rezblock/NACE. I love it for both its stacking and cleaning properties.

Takavor23

Lev of Leviathan
Glass Blower
wjg93t.jpg

M&M Tech New Release Micro Lattice Rig
2lkeh6e.jpg

M&M Tech Micro Lattice Sidecar Coming Soon...

Top Bottom