Horatio_Alger

My 18 Hour Old Iolite is getting broken in while reading this forum :D Mouthpiece feels like it is sticking to the bowl - like the threads are sticking....not sure this will replace my bong 100%.

I've tried looking but to no avail. Is there a discussion for the most durable, longest - lasting vaporizer? I don't want to keep throwing money down the drain or harsh my lungs . Thanks!

Horatio_Alger,
Horatio, the log style vapes (PD, MZ, and WDZ) are some of the most durable vapes you could look at. I know I've dropped my WDZ on a concrete floor a couple times, and it is still going strong, despite a few dings and scratches. I would also say that the Da Budda, and the Silver Surfer, are durable aside from the glass parts, which are easily replaceable. Welcome to the forum, and keep vapin'.

SkeletonLips,

Derf

Horatio_Alger said:
My 18 Hour Old Iolite is getting broken in while reading this forum :D Mouthpiece feels like it is sticking to the bowl - like the threads are sticking....not sure this will replace my bong 100%.

I've tried looking but to no avail. Is there a discussion for the most durable, longest - lasting vaporizer? I don't want to keep throwing money down the drain or harsh my lungs . Thanks!
This question probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I'll chime in with my :2c:

I will concur: if you want durable, the wooden log-style vapes are pretty durable. Purple days has a video of him throwing it in a clothes dryer for a couple cycles, and driving over it with a truck. The MyrtleZap and AromaZap, Eterra Classic, and other identical designs will all serve you well. ALthough, the heat element used in these is a standard ceramic encased resistor, which will eventually deteriorate. It may stop working all together, or you may notice it slowly not getting as hot as it used to. Fixing it is easy enough, just buy a new resistor from mouser.com or digikey.com (if you are handy with a soldering iron) for a few $$.
I think it was Ohmite 25JR20 : $1.64
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=25J20RE-ND

However, the problem with these units (like all fixed temp units - like the Iolite (bringing this post back on track)) is they are not as efficient as variable temp units like the SSV, Extreme, Volcano, Zephyr ION, etc...
The reason is, there are at least 66 cannabinoids in Marijuana; THC is just one type, CBN and CBD are another type. But these different cannabinoids have different vaporization temps. And these temps are slightly subjective, even if the Merck manual has a vaporization temp listed for THC, it really isn't exactly known where the ideal temperature to vaporize is at. That's because the different effects you can get from being able to adjust your temperature, and vaporize different amounts of CBD and CBN and CBG in proportion to THC, is somewhat subjective. The take home message here is that
1) as you change the temperature you vape at, you get different mental effects, based on the differing vaporization temperatures of the psychoactive ingredients and their agonists and antagonists.
2) fixed temperature vaporizers are usually on the lower temperature side of where you want them to be, regardless of what it works at... you always wish you could squeeze a little more out of your herb. Sometimes changing the 12V converter these things are plugged into in the wall will do that for you, but then you're stuck at the wall. With the Iolite, nothing short of a re-design to use a different bi-metal thermostat would solve it.

But, usually no matter what you vape with, you should save your used stuff, and make an alcohol extraction or some butter with it or flour and bake with it. And then you'll get pretty much 100% out of your stuff. So I guess it doesn't really matter what you use.

However, if you were to trade this in or get another, I would suggest you look at something with variable temp control, and let your wallet do the rest of the thinking.

Derf,
I lost my screen that was in my iolite and put the new one in but how do you properly secure it with the ring piece ??????

BcBud420,

Bone

BcBud420 said:
I lost my screen that was in my iolite and put the new one in but how do you properly secure it with the ring piece ??????
You just press the ring down with the tool that came with the unit. It's pretty easy.

Bone,
Allright so you just push the ring down inside after putting the screen in ? that is what I did but I'm sure I never saw that ring in there before , it is like the ring was around the screen and 7 dot backing plate

BcBud420,

Bone

BcBud420 said:
Allright so you just push the ring down inside after putting the screen in ? that is what I did but I'm sure I never saw that ring in there before , it is like the ring was around the screen and 7 dot backing plate
Yeah. The screen faces out so you can see it, the dots face inward or down. The ring holds it so it can't fall out of the herb chamber. Slide the ring in vertically. It slides in easily because there is a section where the diameter is smaller on the ring. Now use the tool to push it horizontal and flush with the screen.

I think you maybe just didn't notice the ring clip before.

Bone,

yolky

In my opinion the holes/dots should be facing up, towards the mouthpiece when you put the screen in the bowl. The draw will not be effected one way or another, however from a practical standpoint... when you use the metal tool to push the screen out of the bowl, it would be better if you were applying pressure on the hole instead of directly on the screen. Also, it keeps the screen cleaner as the AVB won't get as clogged up when it is situated in this manner.

yolky,

freeman dyson

alright, they sent me a new unit and it was working fine, but another problem. they gave me the steel thread instead of the plastic. It was impossible to unscrew the mouthpiece when it wasnt running. it would not budge. only after it had been heated for a while. otherwise you can unscrew it. well i tried this time while it was hot and and bottom plastic tube broke in half and now the half along with the full thread is stuck in the hole. it broke off in there. suggestions? anyone have this happen or it not unscrewing in general.

Here are the pics.

img2159u.jpg

^^There you see it broken off. And here is the other piece:

img2158kd.jpg

:rolleyes:

freeman dyson,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
freeman dyson - WOW! , a new one no less , I'd try heating up the bowl on the unit and use tweezers to turn it out when its hot.

As for screen position , the holes toward the pin is better because 1, the screen doesn't end up with a hole in it from the pin. 2, the inner chamber retains heat better. 3, the screen stays clean longer , the only pita is that the holes will clog if you stuff the bowl too much , but they are easily cleaned with a paper clip.

Samsquanch,

vaperook

My Iolite has stopped hissing every 30 seconds and the orange light doesn't come on anymore. It still seems to work in that it heats up and I can draw vapor, but I'm not sure if the temp is high enough. Has anyone else experienced this?

vaperook,

EazyE 2.0

vaperook said:
My Iolite has stopped hissing every 30 seconds and the orange light doesn't come on anymore. It still seems to work in that it heats up and I can draw vapor, but I'm not sure if the temp is high enough. Has anyone else experienced this?
Does the orange light come on when you first start it up? How does the flow of the butane sound?

EazyE 2.0,

vaperook

It comes on for a few seconds and goes off. It doesn't stay on for the full 90 seconds initial heat up. Same with the hissing, after a few seconds it's silent even though I can feel it warming in my hand. I just don't think it's heating up enough. I'm actually not getting visible vapor anymore, though I'm still getting a buzz.

vaperook,

greystr0ke

Hey everyone!

I was introduced to portable vaporizers about 4 years ago when a good friend of mine purchased the Supreme Vaporizer (http://www.supremevaporizer.com/). I was immediately in love with this product and the effects that it produced. The only downside was that it required you to torch the heating element which was quite inconvenient on the go. I decided to hold off on purchasing one but I have continued to use my friends as it's still around and ripping like crazy.

A few months ago I decided that I wanted to make the commitment to stop burning the goods and start vaporizing them on a consistent basis. I began researching different vapes and when it was all said and done, I had my heart set on the iolite. What really sold me was the convenience factor and that it seemed extremely easy to use. Not to mention, I didn't need to use a torch to heat it. I kept reading reviews of people exhaling thick clouds of vapor and it seemed almost to good to be true.

Needless to say, I finally decided to buy the iolite and it has far from exceeded my expectations. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what but after I take a draw from the iolite and exhale, I hardly see anything let alone feel the effects. I don't believe that my unit is defective as it does get quite hot but I guess maybe I expected more out of it. I feel as if I'm wasting my herb as opposed to prolonging it. As others have mentioned, the herb chamber does easily come off and I've already lost 2 bowls worth because of that.

I definitely can't complain that it's difficult to use. It's very simple and quick to get going. It's also extremely convenient which almost makes up for the fact that the draws aren't very full.

I've spent most of the day browsing this forum and looking for advice and I really appreciate all the contributions that you all have made. I hope that I'm just doing something wrong and that I will eventually get the hang of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*ETA*

Ok. So I just spent my entire day at work reading through this thread and I started to get really anxious to apply some of these tips and re-try the iolite. Luckily, it's a slow day here and I just walked out to my car. Wow! I just had an awesome session and I can barely type now.

Let me describe what I did differently this time around.

In my previous attempts, I had been grinding the herb and placing it in the chamber and then attaching it back to the iolite. I would then turn it on, fire it up and wait until the light went off. This time around, I didn't pack up the herb before letting it heat up. I fired it up and let the unit run 2 cycles before putting the herb in. Once heated, I removed the chamber and packed it 1/2 full with well grinded and dry herb. I used the same herb last night but I guess it may not have been as dry as it should have been. I let some sit in my car today and roast in the sun. After the chamber was packed and reattached to the iolite, i let it heat up for about 2 more cycles.

One thing that I immediately noticed that I was doing wrong after reading some of your guys' comments was that I was pulling way to hard so this time around I slowed it down a lot. I took the first draw and instantly felt a difference. I could actually feel something in my lungs which was great! I held the hit in and when I exhaled, I was shocked to see that a nice size cloud of vapor came out. The same thing happened on the second and third and fourth and fifth. I shook the bowl a little to move the herb around and let it go through another cycle and when I took the next several draws, the result was the same.

I'm so happy now. :) I hope to stick around these boards and contribute any way possible now. You guys helped me out so much. I really can't thank you all enough.

Patience is the key to this vape.

greystr0ke,

niall

Yep it's pretty easy - inhale long and slow. That's it!

Their QA could certainly be improved (stems) but I reckon 90% of people reporting problems or dissatisfaction is because they're using it wrong.

niall,

EazyE 2.0

vaperook said:
It comes on for a few seconds and goes off. It doesn't stay on for the full 90 seconds initial heat up. Same with the hissing, after a few seconds it's silent even though I can feel it warming in my hand. I just don't think it's heating up enough. I'm actually not getting visible vapor anymore, though I'm still getting a buzz.
Unless you're feeling a considerable increase in temperature after it stops, I would say that you're only getting heat while you see and hear the unit working. You're either not filling it up with gas (whether you're doing it right or not) enough for it to work longer than a few secs, something might be wrong with the catalytic converter, or the kind of butane you are using might not be good enough. I am pretty new to the iolite myself, but I just sent mine in for service a week ago after trying to work with it for a month and a half. Mine was having ignition issues and couldn't figure out how to fix it for the life of me after reading their entire website and all these threads. There are just too many variables. I called them after knowing they had received it and they told me they will just send me a brand new one. :D I would just call or email them and see what they have to say about your unit. More than likely they'll tell you to ship it in.

Good Luck

EazyE 2.0,

max

Out to lunch
greystr0ke said:
In my previous attempts, I had been grinding the herb and placing it in the chamber and then attaching it back to the iolite. I would then turn it on, fire it up and wait until the light went off. This time around, I didn't pack up the herb before letting it heat up. I fired it up and let the unit run 2 cycles before putting the herb in.
After a couple of minutes it's hot enough to start producing vapor. Doesn't really matter whether you load before or after it heats up.

One thing that I immediately noticed that I was doing wrong after reading some of your guys' comments was that I was pulling way to hard so this time around I slowed it down a lot. I took the first draw and instantly felt a difference. I could actually feel something in my lungs which was great! I held the hit in and when I exhaled, I was shocked to see that a nice size cloud of vapor came out. The same thing happened on the second and third and fourth and fifth. I shook the bowl a little to move the herb around and let it go through another cycle and when I took the next several draws, the result was the same.
The #1 problem for those new to vaporizing is hitting too hard. Glad you made the adjustment and are now enjoying your iolite.

max,

greystr0ke

I'm definitely enjoying it now. :lol: Every session has been absolutely amazing since I readjusted some of my techniques. It seems like each bowl gets better and better.

greystr0ke,

freeman dyson

omfg! Now the plastic thread broke off in the bowl. This after the metal thread did. What is up with these threads?! This is a new one sent under warranty too that I had to wait 3 months for. Piece of fucking garbage. DO NOT BUY.

freeman dyson,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Well I am getting my third iolite (or as I should say, second replacement) next week. Lets hope I have a more favorable experience.
Both non working units were the older ones with the removable heat pin...
Gotvape.com Customer Service rocks.

DevoTheStrange,
Hmmm Freeman I think you need to stop man handling the iolite I have not had any mouthpieces break off I think mabye if I was picking up the iolite by the mouthpiece all the time or mabye dropping it , this would cause the threads to break off , but knowing that the threaded part if fragile treat it that way .

The iolite is not a piece of garbage it's a great little unit and with misuse or undo care yes it could break but knock on wood so far I'm good .

BcBud420,

freeman dyson

BcBud420 said:
Hmmm Freeman I think you need to stop man handling the iolite I have not had any mouthpieces break off I think mabye if I was picking up the iolite by the mouthpiece all the time or mabye dropping it , this would cause the threads to break off , but knowing that the threaded part if fragile treat it that way .

The iolite is not a piece of garbage it's a great little unit and with misuse or undo care yes it could break but knock on wood so far I'm good .
manhandling it? I know how cheaply it is made and treat the thing with the utmost care. it has never been dropped or even unscrewed fast or rough. and i would never hold it by its mouthpiece.

freeman dyson,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
freeman dyson said:
omfg! Now the plastic thread broke off in the bowl. This after the metal thread did. What is up with these threads?! This is a new one sent under warranty too that I had to wait 3 months for. Piece of fucking garbage. DO NOT BUY.
I modified my Iolite so that only a silicone tube protrudes from the top. You can find my explaination and pictures http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=264&p=49
sorry if that's the wrong way to link.

see post # 1208

Since I no longer utilize any type of solid stem, I can fold the tube and secure with a rubber band on the body. It cannot break in my pocket. It means you have to modify the chamber, but I think it worth the trouble for the way I utilize the Iolite on-the-go. I'd do it again in a heart beat. YMMV

macbill,

greystr0ke

I've really been enjoying life without combustion. Tonight, I used the tube I purchased at Home Depot and hooked it up to my friends RooR. The hits weren't great but it was pretty cool, none the less.

I also finally used it with a group of people and it blew everyone away.

I still haven't used it out publicly yet and I'm beginning to think that it may be a bad idea. :uhoh: The hits I've been getting out of this thing would be noticeable as all hell.

greystr0ke,
Top Bottom