So i was right guys... There seems to be a very distinct difference between the two types of nozzles I received with the Iolite (in the box) and aftermarket (not the new aluminum tip model).

See the pictures and you guys should be able to tell the difference as far as the one on the left looking more shiny, or cheep, and the one on the right (after market), that is a bit more dull, and it even feels more sturdy...

I also got an email from one of the reps letting me know that this is most likely the cause for the nozzles breaking... said he couldn't say anything official, but yea that was most likely the reason...

ModernMogul,

UrDoinItWrong

pngwyn said:
So I've had my Iolite for a while, and I'm not sure it's working correctly.

I warm up the Iolite, wait for 2 heat sessions, load the bowl, and take a toke after every heat, but I hardly see any vapor whatsoever.

On top of that, after a bowl in the Iolite, I'm only feeling a slight buzz at most, that takes 10 minutes to get there, too. Now I smoke a lot, so my tolerance is a bit higher, but I expected the Iolite to be much more potent than it is to me now, and I don't know if it's because it's a faulty product I got shipped, or if I'm doing something wrong, or if the Iolite just isn't for me.

Anyone have any suggestions? Should I just send my Iolite in for a replacement in case I did get a faulty machine? My straws were faulty, so I got sent replacements, so maybe there was an issue with the Iolite as well.

As a side note, is it difficult to get the Warranty replacement on these?
Most people think there is something wrong with their Iolite when they first get it, including me haha. Like most vapes, there is technique to using it optimally. As a heavy herb consumer, I can assure you that this device is capable of getting you baaaaaked regardless of tolerance.
Make sure you grind up your herb fine (you prob did this)

The one problem that I see most people having with it is the right draw rate. Pulling too light or too heavy wont yield high amounts of visible vapor. So try adjusting your draw rate, and especially HOW LONG you take hits. You want a big hit? You have to pull for @10 seconds. Puffing on it to get it primed also works well, but I just prefer to take long steady draws for big hits.

My packs produce visible vapor for about 15-20 min, and get me more than fried.

Again, it seems necessary to mention on every page to USE PREMIUM TRIPLE REFINED OR BETTER BUTANE ONLY......RONSON or any schwag butane WILL DESTROY YOUR IOLITE.

Of course it's possible you might have a defective Iolite, in which case people have reported it taking a couple weeks to get it taken care of. But def try working with it a bit more before you ship it off to the emerald isle, haha.

UrDoinItWrong,

msemcee

DEAR LORD!

I cannot fill my Iolite full of Butane for the life of me!

I swear I've tried 15 times and it never seems to be completely full. Vector Butane

I empty it completely, then once I try and fill it it either immediately spurts at me or once I press down on the butane can, I hear a hissing like it is exhausting it all and then spurts.

After each time I try and fill it, I let it sit for easily 10 minutes, turn on and either I get a faint hissing sound and it doesn't light, or a "woosh..woosh..woosh" noise.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. If I press too lightly, I think i'm letting it all out. If I press to hard, it immediately spurts at me.

I've tried to fill it and everytime it spurts like its full, I let it sit, then on and ignite and it doesn't glow! Or it glows for maybe 5 seconds then shuts off and never glows again!

I need someone to hold my hand in this filling situation..! GAH!!

msemcee,

niall

msemcee said:
I empty it completely, then once I try and fill it it either immediately spurts at me or once I press down on the butane can, I hear a hissing like it is exhausting it all and then spurts.
Try rotating the can when aligning it on the valve - sounds like you're not making sealed contact so the butane isn't entering the valve? Either that or that can's valve is the wrong size? From empty it should fill for about 2-3 seconds then start spurting when it's full.

niall,

lime_joe

Ancient said:
How's it going? I've read this whole thread in a couple of days and just want to thank everyone for it. It's been super informative. I ordered my black iolite a few weeks ago and finally get to try it out this weekend!

Can anyone tell me how this performs at altitude? I've read on the iolite site and on this thread that the butane could have trouble over 1600m which is like 5200ft. Where I live at the grand canyon is just under 7k feet and I was planning on using it on the top of some mountains too. If it turns out it doesn't work well there, I can always lose some elevation thanks to the giant hole in the ground ;)
I went to a ski resort this weekend and I was staying at a place that was around 7k feet. I brought my iolite with me and it worked well the first day, but on the second day it stopped working and it didn't start working until I got back home.

lime_joe,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
lime_joe said:
Ancient said:
How's it going? I've read this whole thread in a couple of days and just want to thank everyone for it. It's been super informative. I ordered my black iolite a few weeks ago and finally get to try it out this weekend!

Can anyone tell me how this performs at altitude? I've read on the iolite site and on this thread that the butane could have trouble over 1600m which is like 5200ft. Where I live at the grand canyon is just under 7k feet and I was planning on using it on the top of some mountains too. If it turns out it doesn't work well there, I can always lose some elevation thanks to the giant hole in the ground ;)
I went to a ski resort this weekend and I was staying at a place that was around 7k feet. I brought my iolite with me and it worked well the first day, but on the second day it stopped working and it hasn't been working since. It seems like the elevation affected it, but I'm not sure since it's still not working.
that is my experience, you normally get one good use out of the IO after you go from a lower too higher elevation....possibly two or three, but after that its a big No Go.

DevoTheStrange,

lime_joe

DevoTheStrange said:
lime_joe said:
Ancient said:

I went to a ski resort this weekend and I was staying at a place that was around 7k feet. I brought my iolite with me and it worked well the first day, but on the second day it stopped working and it hasn't been working since. It seems like the elevation affected it, but I'm not sure since it's still not working.
that is my experience, you normally get one good use out of the IO after you go from a lower too higher elevation....possibly two or three, but after that its a big No Go.
Yep, that's exactly what happened. I edited my post because the iolite just started to work after I emptied and refilled it at home.

lime_joe,

Ancient

lime_joe said:
DevoTheStrange said:
lime_joe said:
Yep, that's exactly what happened. I edited my post because the iolite just started to work after I emptied and refilled it at home.
Good to know. My iolite has been working everyday though. A few weeks ago, I took it down to about 1500ft and then brought it back home (~7K ft) and it has worked consistently. Idk if it matters, but before and after I changed drastic elevation with it, I made sure it was empty of butane.

Ancient,

derk

Hey I was wondering if anyone has used or had any information about Dodo butane 5x refined? I was wondering how well it worked compared to Vector.

derk,

pipehippy

Hi guys

After reading the whole thread I've gone for 1, so, if I don't like it, your collectively to blame :)

After reading the numerous posts about silicone tubing, I'm wondering if anybody in the UK could suggest a cheap source, everywhere I've looked it's going to cost me 15/20 quid, common sense tells me this is nonsense :)

Thanks

Well, 3hrs into vaping.. plastic thread melted off into herb chamber, mailed iolite asking for new pipe with metal thread.. we'll see. Apart from that I'm lovin it, well, apart from I seem to be using more herb since not having the old disincentives, such as, damn, my vapes on the other side of the room

pipehippy,

derk

Got my two replacement stainless steel stems yesterday, pretty stoked on that. except that i think i stripped the threads of the bowl piece while trying to use home made stems, still works way better than anything i had, and Oglesby & Butlers are good to their word.:)

derk,

beb627

i live in long island ny and stopped by utopia to see they had the iinhale, came home did some research seems like an awesome product but noticed that the name was switched over with a couple little pieces on the vaporizer. Utopia has only the iinhale for $250 and a lifetime guarantee. Is there any drastics difference between the two or just change of name?

beb627,

rayski

beb627 said:
i live in long island ny and stopped by utopia to see they had the iinhale, came home did some research seems like an awesome product but noticed that the name was switched over with a couple little pieces on the vaporizer. Utopia has only the iinhale for $250 and a lifetime guarantee. Is there any drastics difference between the two or just change of name?
They removed a screen at the base of the heat-pin. The heat-pin doesn't screw-off anymore. And the mouthpiece screen assembly is changed. I think the Iolite's performance is about the same as the Iinhale's.
But, Ogeslby & Butler only offer a 2 year limited warranty. Where is the lifetime guarantee coming from? I'd look into that.
The Iinhale probably comes with the stem that doesn't break so easily. That's good.
You can get a new Iolite for less if you use a FC coupon at several of FC's recommended resellers. http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=334

rayski,

frogbmth

rayski said:
frogbmth said:
I did this little vid showing the differences

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf7_Yioxow0
Sorry, didn't see your video before I posted. What a great website. Ask a question, get a video. Unbelievable!
Pure coincidence that I did one last week on this lol

I started a new information website just recently, I have a lot more work to do but I will be posting a lot of Iolite videos showing how to use it. So more video answers may be coming!

frogbmth,

King Kong

beb627 said:
I bought the iolite... After every few hits is the butane supposed to be releashed?
ya that means its heating up to 190C, i normally hit, hold, wait for it to heat up again, then exhale and hit after it stops heating up.

King Kong,

Lusi

Well, I've had this Iolite about 10 months with a replacement from the manufacturer about 5 months ago. I gave up on this device shortly after the replacement Iolite proved the same as the one I returned. Even with the recommended butane, this thing burns HOT, melting the mouthpieces together (unless re-heated to separate) and worse, filling my lungs with smokey vapes and leaveing me coughing and reaching for my buterol inhaler and still coughing. Sure, it worked, but what was left in the bowl was crispy charred and clogged up my screen and stuck to the sides... every time. Between my clogged screens, clogged lungs, fried fingers, and torched chapped lips, I gave up on this thing!!

I tried it recent;y as I had something to try in it. Same deal! I perhaps had pure vapors for one tiny bit, then smoke took over. My allergies to smoke are not effected by the Launch box (often under-vaping he herb) or the volcano I've tried. I know when I get smoke and this device remains a smoking device to me. The flavor is even not pure. Yick! Am not sure if it's butane flavor, but it's not a taste from the herb. More like torched plastic!

Saving pennies for something that works better. Maybe a Vapor Genie, PD, or volcano for the medicinal stuff. For now, the glass bulb and straw is still easier and more reliable than this thing!

Temp control on this gadget might help.. might

Lusi,

niall

Lusi said:
Even with the recommended butane, this thing burns HOT, melting the mouthpieces together (unless re-heated to separate)
It runs hot as it is so small - its portability and size is the tradeoff for running temperatures. I for one would rather have portability and small size. Adding insulation would jack up the size considerably, and the price, and it would not be such a great fit for your pocket.

There's a couple of good ways to hold it and use it that mean this heat is not an issue for the user. Try holding it like holding a cup of coffee - thumb up top supporting the mouthpiece and bowl, exhaust fins facing towards you and down, fingers on the far side of the unit down at the bottom around the piezo. Or you can hold it from the side with your thumb and fingers on the coloured stickers only keeping the exhaust fins pointing away from your palm. Or while it's cycling just put it down on a table, pick it up after it has finished burning and inhale until it starts another cycle - put down on table. Heat is never an issue for me, it's as if it doesn't get warm the way I hold and use it.

filling my lungs with smokey vapes and leaveing me coughing and reaching for my buterol inhaler and still coughing. Sure, it worked, but what was left in the bowl was crispy charred and clogged up my screen and stuck to the sides... every time. Between my clogged screens, clogged lungs, fried fingers, and torched chapped lips, I gave up on this thing!!

I tried it recent;y as I had something to try in it. Same deal! I perhaps had pure vapors for one tiny bit, then smoke took over. My allergies to smoke are not effected by the Launch box (often under-vaping he herb) or the volcano I've tried. I know when I get smoke and this device remains a smoking device to me. The flavor is even not pure. Yick! Am not sure if it's butane flavor, but it's not a taste from the herb. More like torched plastic!
Something sounds wrong here. It runs at 190 so it's fairly hot, and definitly towards the smokey end of vaporizers but I've never seen any unit actually produce smoke or leave the carcass charred. It's a darkish brown, and sure you'll need to use a poker emptying the bowl. Never had a butane flavour, that sounds like you are inhaling while the unit is exhausting (wait until it stops firing) or you're not giving the unit enough time to finish exhausting and you're inhaling some of the exhaust through the bowl. Try letting it completely finish a cycle, and hold it away from your mouth and face while it's burning so the exhaust has time to fully dissipate. I often blow across the fins or wave it in the air to make sure all exhaust has dissipated and that I'm only inhaling fresh, clean air into the bowl.

Saving pennies for something that works better. Maybe a Vapor Genie, PD, or volcano for the medicinal stuff. For now, the glass bulb and straw is still easier and more reliable than this thing!

Temp control on this gadget might help.. might
Portability is the point of this unit, it's more of a complement to your home vape. Some people love it, and for those guys this is a great unit if you can only afford 1 vaporizer, but most iolite users I know also have a Volcano at home. It's a great, portable unit that works. Its size and design are fantastic imho, as long as you accept the tradeoff here which is heat (hold it properly) and exhaust (let it breathe, don't inhale the exhaust!).

Just my opinion, hold that helps somewhat but sounds like it's just not the right device for you.

niall,

zombonaut

It's interesting to note that I have other "home" vapor options but still tend to use the Iolite a LOT. Because I have a 6 year old kid at home I can't always set up the Herbalaire or PD and go to town on a regular basis. This is where the small, discreet, cordless Iolite really shines.

I hope my stainless stems will be on the way soon. I had plastic replacements sent and have already melted one of those! For those who have gotten the new ones, did they send an email confirmation or did they just show up in the mail?

zombonaut,

mg1910

Hello, it seems that my i-olite stopped allowing me to fill it with butane. Whenever i try to fill the i-olite, it instantly shoots the butane out of it even if it's empty. I've tryed purging it of all remaining butane but theres never any in it because I can't fill it. What do you guys think might be causing this problem and do you know of any solutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mg1910,

beb627

First day of iolite was great. Smoked in my room which I would never with a blunt and loved it. Second day on the way to union school packed it turned on hit piezo button everything running fine till I get a harsh hit of smoke look down into mouhpiece and there was actual smoke coming off it I actually coughed cuz it bothered my lungs and I'm use to harsh dutchmasters. Anyway you think the thermostats broke and keeps kicking the heater on?

beb627,

NoSmoke

beb627 said:
First day of iolite was great. Smoked in my room which I would never with a blunt and loved it. Second day on the way to union school packed it turned on hit piezo button everything running fine till I get a harsh hit of smoke look down into mouhpiece and there was actual smoke coming off it I actually coughed cuz it bothered my lungs and I'm use to harsh dutchmasters. Anyway you think the thermostats broke and keeps kicking the heater on?
nope i actually think your mouthpiece has melted, try to screw it off and let me know. I feel bad that you inhaled those toxins, that is not whats supposed to happen with a vapor experience and what you inhaled was far worse than a dutchy.

NoSmoke,

stinkmeaner

Someone on Ebay is selling a threaded stainless steel attachment for the Iolite that might solve the melting problem.

stinkmeaner,
Top Bottom