lwien

buddyfranklin said:
any suggestions on how to handle fools?

First off, don't handle them like fools.

Secondly, if the CSR stated that I needed to use Vector, and if I couldn't afford Vector, I would tell her that.

When she says, "You need to use Vector Butane", I would then reply, "Oh. I didn't realize that when I bought the Iolite and I really can't afford to use Vector Butane. What do you suggest?", keeping it real nice and friendly. It serves your purpose to have her on your side and say what you need to say to make that happen.

There is a possibility that she may offer you a refund and if she doesn't, kindly ask her to escalate your inquiry to the next level of customer support. And if you don't get satisfaction there, ask to escalate it higher. First level CSR's are there to answer questions, but typically, they don't have any authorization to do anything else.

If you feel that you can't afford to use quality butane like Vector, than the Iolite is not for you.

lwien,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I am sorry for your dissatisfaction but here is a bit of advise to avoid this in the future if at all possible.

You have a computer - use it to go to one of the AWESOME vendors that have a rep here. (Especially with returns)
It would seem that the amount of time you could have saved by having a new unit to replace your existing (broken one) would have had you combusting less :(

AGBeer,

2Supra4U

if its iolite support your talkign to , i dont know what to say never called in before....there are idiots everywhere....or its a call center which they dont know much info about the product, therefore read from specific dialogue.

anyways the moral of the story (my story) is that

1. you used shit butane.....the manual recommends high quality....then lists a few for north america and europe...you must of missed that. ronson in NA is shit....like using dirty sandy gas in your car. go for X4 or X5 refined vector or colibri you can get these for 5 bucks a can (if I can get them in canada for 5 then there no way in hell you cant get them for 5 or less in the states..assuming your in the states)
they do recommend, but its like a car...many recommend plus gas, but you can fill with regular or lower. but what that leads to is a dirtier running engine...which gunks up faster than if you used plus/premium gas, which burns cleaner with less byproducts.

2. check that you bleed the tank and make sure your are filling it propertly (just a precaution)

3. what lwien said, dont do that on the phone it never gets you anywhere.

if its new either get a warranty replacement and try again or see if you can purge and try with better butane.

sounds like you just used crappy stuff and its cloged it or it not filling right (air, etc in the tank)...make sure you bleed til nor more sound.

it an awesome device.....im sorry you cant get it to function properly

2Supra4U,

lwien

Well, now I understand why you didn't get anywhere with Iolite. Makes perfect sense now.

lwien,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Well, you attitude seems to be one of 'Handle my shit now, my way' (for a lack of better terms)

You have bashed the decisions of mods here on more than one occasion for either moving or deleting your threads. You have bashed customer service because they didnt give you the answer you necessarily wanted to hear.

I hate to say it, but your points of failure arent because someone is building a faulty product or singling you out. I can understand your frustration here, (I was pissed when my Iolite broke too) but a good portion of the complaints you have mentioned have been explained and addressed before :) (With a sound reasoning behind them)

AGBeer,

greystr0ke

I'm sorry but if you actually did your research on here which you said you did, you would have known which butane to use.

greystr0ke,

Theo

buddyfranklin said:
you have merged my topic and hidden it inside a thread 120 pages long.

feel free to post the reason moderator if you feel the need to. Not necessary.

but that was a move that lowered the credibility of your message board. should i care to post any further here on this specific topic?

Each thread here is for a specific vape. Information, tips, troubles, etc. should be posted in their respective threads. The reason for this is just to keep information in a single place and to keep the forum from being cluttered.

I had an iolite and it broke ~2months after use but because I got it 2nd hand I don't believe I have a warranty for it. (it broke almost exactly a year ago now). So I understand what you're talking about. I understand that it doesn't say that it requires high-quality butane but after talking to customer service it is obvious that is the case. Yes it sucks, yes I agree that they should say that it requires that if it requires it, don't say just say you recommend it when you need to use that quality. But acting like a dick to people won't get you anywhere. It may be hard to keep yourself calm when talking to people but try being nice instead of annoying/angry/unpleasant, you'll get a lot further.

Theo,

nr-cole

Sorry, but it's your attitude and your head shop that screwed you, not Iolite. "Zippo" lighter fluid is not butane. From the Zippo wikipedia page:

"The fuel, light petroleum distillate or synthetic isoparaffinic hydrocarbon (commonly referred to as lighter fluid or naphtha)"

You haven't done nearly as much research as you claim. If you had bothered to read through this thread, you'd have read several posts mentioning that the Iolite does not work with crappy, impurity-filled butane. If a manufacturer recommends using a certain kind of fuel in my very expensive piece of equipment, I do it. You wouldn't put regular gasoline in a Lexus.

Second, you say that with all your expertise on this product (which you can't get working) makes you certain that some spark is not "catching" inside the unit. Again, there are many posts in this thread of people who've had to learn how to bleed off their tank when they can't get the unit to start. Instead of admitting the possibility that you're doing something wrong, you clicked the starter a few dozen times and concluded that it must be someone else's fault.

You can also easily find London/Colibri or Vector for 6-8 dollars a can. I'm sorry it isn't $4, but a can will easily last a heavy user over a month, and if you can afford to spend $200 on a vaporizer, you're not going to get any sympathy from me that you can't spend $6 a month on fuel for it.

In short, read through this thread. All the information you need to get your Iolite working properly is right here, and if you still have questions, don't be afraid to ask (politely).

EDIT: And don't worry about not getting noticed. Plenty of us check this thread every day. It's still very active.

nr-cole,

vape4health

I took some zippo butane and spray it on a mirror , that shit is just as dirty as the dollars store stuff . I tested ANY butane I could find local , all that I tried were dirty dirty .

Just get some Vector it last way longer then it seems like it should .

vape4health,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
if you used Ronson for about 2.5 months, chances are you gummed up the inner workings with the impurities contained in the Ronson. I do agree with the face that "Recommendations" should be called mandatory. If you use a fuel that is not recommended for use it will eventually clog the nozzle the fuel comes out of causing the unit to no longer work. This would be considered user error. However outside of this thread, as far as i know, there is no real info out there expressing that your unit may eventually fail if you use a lesser quality gas, just says not to use the bad crap with no reasons why not to.
To me... your use of ronson for such a long time is a likely culprit of why your vape is no longer working.
I would do everything recommended for trouble shooting your iolite explained both here and on the iolite website (The only reason i say this is so the CSR is aware you have tried everything possible). If it doesn't come back to life whatsoever, take advantage of the warranty... that is why it is there. Explain to the CSR that all the trouble shooting is not fixing your problem and that you tried everything and that you either want a new unit, or a refund.

DevoTheStrange,

elixsor

Yeah you should look into getting a warranty replacement I would imagine they would be happy to get you a replacement if you follow the warranty procedure.

It's unfortunate that you did not use the high quality butane from the start but in all likelihood it is the reason your unit is no longer functioning correctly.

As an additional note I have to imagine you might be completely over estimating how much butane you will go through with the Iolite.

Even if you have to pay closer to $8 for a can you should only have to do so easily less then once a month even for the heaviest user.

I use my Iolite multiple times a day every day and can make a can of butane last closer to two months or more so the cost is really negligible. I mean maybe not but just seems like a really ridiculous over statement to say that it is so expensive to operate.

Maybe while your waiting for a warranty replacement you can read though this thread and pick up all the knowledge about the device so you can enjoy the maximum benefit when you get your replacement.

elixsor,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
also another thing just came to mind.... you don't happen to live at a high altitude do you?
I know when winter hit my iolite wouldn't work anymore because of the change in air pressure, I could only use it in a really warm indoor room. I lived right below its operating ceiling of 6500 ft.

DevoTheStrange,

OO

Technical Skeptical
buddy franklin, you have my sympathies.

i also wish things would be handled differently, but keep in mind, most people are followers, and will criticize you for differing from the status quo, this carries over into any group.

And you are following a member down the wrong path with your post.

OO,

nr-cole

Given the issues that often seem to crop up with new Iolite owners, would it make sense to compile all the advice we know about having it operate properly and re-post it every time this thread accumulates a few pages? That way when people have questions, we can direct them to one post with everything they need to know, rather than people getting mixed messages. It IS a finnicky vape with some very specific things you need to do for it to run well, so having all of those things in one place could avoid a lot of confusion.

I can post up a draft in the next couple days with everything I can think of, and then other people can suggest changes and additions until we have something we agree represents the full scope of FC's collective Iolite wisdom ;)

nr-cole,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Wow what a flurry on this thread. :uhoh:

I think the answers have been covered by others on this forum. Your unit is gummed up from poor butane. No mystery. The culprit is the dealer that sold it to you. That's who you have a sales contract with. I'd march it back and demand a new one or a refund. They should have known better, as this is a WELL KNOWN weakness with this device. If they didn't know any better.. that's their problem, not yours.

willieR,

max

Out to lunch
IMO the butane requirements for the iolite are overblown. Back when the vape hit the market I used up several cans of Ronson fuel in two different iolites with no issues. Long term, it's certainly better to use high quality fuel though. And if you shop around for some Vector, it's much cheaper, per ounce, than buying a little can of Ronson or whatever in your local drugstore. Brand new, the iolite should work with any brand name butane, and the company (not a headshop that wants to avoid a DOA) can't require a specific brand or brands to be used, in order to qualify for warranty repair, unless that requirement is spelled out in the package when you buy it. Hell, if you require a specific brand to be used, or even a short list of brands, you're pretty much dooming the vape. No vape maker with any sense is going to manufacture such a product.

The iolite is going to continue to be a 'problem vape' due to the design. It's not a bad design. It's just a fairly complicated one compared to the competition. It walks a fine line in order to do what it does. Maybe future offerings will be more reliable. Vapir now offers a 1 yr. warranty on their N02, instead of the pitiful 90 days on all their previous products. So maybe O&B will be able to refine the catalytic design in the future. If not, savvy buyers will avoid their products, and deservedly so.

max,

greystr0ke

Has anyone else bit the bullet and tried the de-optimizer yet? I know when it was first posted on here, a few people mentioned they had ordered it with their unit. Just wondering if anyone had any better results then I did.

greystr0ke,
Top Bottom